Too Much Protein

kim1006

When I overuse protein my hair becomes too soft, almost mushy. How do you know when you have overdone the protein and what corrective action do you take? I usually run to the hair salon and let them fix it for me.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
The one time I did have protein overload, I didn't freak out or anything....I just didn't use protein for two weeks, and continued on with my regular co-cleansing reggie. It corrected itself pretty easily. Now I just use it weekly, and that's just fine for me.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
My hair has gotten soooooo soft I was afraid to comb/touch it.

Just keep your moisture high, and let it balance itself out. It should be fine in a week. Then just space out your protein a little better. I learned that 2x's a week is too much, but weekly is just right. If you only need it once a month, don't do more than that....when its regular, you don't have to do anything extra. :yep:

InBloom

In my new-growth
I always thought that overly soft, mushy hair was the result of too much moisture....and that protein overloaded hair was hard and rough feeling...

kim1006

I always thought that overly soft, mushy hair was the result of too much moisture....and that protein overloaded hair was hard and rough feeling...

My hair became extra soft and mushy when I left Motions Protein Treatment on my hair overnight and when I consistently used Emergencia leave in conditioner with protein. In fact, if I leave Toque Magico Emergencia Conditioner in too long, it will happen, also.

Last edited:

DaiseeDay

Me too.

But to counter protein overload use something heavy on moisture and only use protein-free products.

crazytrish75

I agree with InBloom, sounds like too much moisture. Are you baggying while leaving the protein in overnight? perhaps its too light of a protein...:ohwell:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
My hair became extra soft and mushy when I left Motions Protein Treatment on my hair overnight and when I consistently used Emergencia leave in conditioner with protein. In fact, if I leave Toque Magico Emergencia Conditioner in too long, it will happen, also.

No more overnight deep conditioning, and I think you need a stronger protein treatment to correct this. Too much protein will not result in soft, mushy hair.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I have tried Motion's Protein Conditioner and it has left my hair moisturized. I've also used a protein leave-in which left my hair moisturized as well. While some conditioners says Protein on it..it doesn't actually make your hair hard and strong. I think you have a moisture overload.

hothair

Sounds like moisture overload. Too much protein would have your her feeling hard and stringy. If you have infusium or aphogee tea tree spray, apply and it should help immediately.

Though you used a "protein" conditioner, depending on how you dc it (shower cap for long periods) your hair may end up overmoisturisred anyway.