need help with deep conditionning. im lost

coolsista-paris

hi ladies . im so upset that ive had like...no rétention this year . i made apl in january and im still not close enough to bsl . its like thé same length. ive heard people say deep condition is good for rétention....and to tell thé truth i never have time to do that..
i want to start doing this more seriously . maybe twice à month as hair is fragile. or should i just protective style and dc with the style.

so i have fine hair and natural . i am right now sitting understand thé dryer with cholestérol .
question : do i have to undo each section (6 on me) to put dc on each ? i just did that and i again lost hair.
i detangled and took shed hairs out last night.
so im again loosing hair. fine hair is à piss soooo fragile.

do you have any ideas of how i can dc every week without loosing hair each time.

i am now again feeling like chopping this hair.

thanks for reading (it was long ).

lamaria211

DC in celies. DC on dry hair over night, DC on clean hair with heat for 30mins or for hours without heat.
What deep conditioners do you have?

Austro-Afrikana

Use a moisturising conditioner like HairVeda Sitrinillah (www.Britishcurlies.co.uk/store). I apply conditioner in 4 sections on wet hair and twist each section before sitting under the steamer for 40 minutes. If you are using a dryer or deep conditioning over night, apply on damp hair and cover with cling film. You should DC after every single wash, especially as you have fine hair. You should also use a protein treatment once or twice a month. Komaza Care protein strengthener is excellent.

It is inevitable that your hair will shed, remember we lose 50-100 hairs per day. If it is breakage you need to assess whether hair needs more moisture or protein. I only detangle on wash day and will normally keep my hair in the same style until I wash it. I try to wash every two weeks.

Last edited:

Ogoma

Sometimes I put my DC after washing, steam/DC with a cap for a few mins/hours, and leave it in. Not rinsing it out may lessen manipulation for you. If you section to wash, you will put the DC on before twisting it back or over the twists as you do your cleanser/shampoo.

As someone else mentioned, I am curious how frequently you use protein treatments? If your hair is a fine as you say, I have read you might need to use to a balanced conditioner like GPB (or something similar) weekly. Not using enough protein or too much moisture may be causing problems for you.

hothair

If you have fine hair you need to incorporate some protein to help thicken and strengthen. For me my hair is fine and moisturises easily so easily it breaks without a protein balance.

So weekly I per-poo minimum 2 hours with a cap, or overnight with a protein mild conditioner like Aphogee 2 minute or megatek, then follow up with a moisturising conditioner for co-washing. I also use protein based leave ins like redken anti snap or Aphogee tea tree spray immediately afterwards.

My regular leave in is Giovanni direct which maintains softness and strength until wash days. HTH

coolsista-paris

lamaria211 said:
DC in celies. DC on dry hair over night, DC on clean hair with heat for 30mins or for hours without heat.
What deep conditioners do you have?

i have cholestérol. and garnier avocado masque. thé rest is normal conditionner. the mane and tail says " deep moisturising conditionner" do you think i can use any normal condit and just leave it on longer ?

coolsista-paris

Austro-Afrikana said:
Use a moisturising conditioner like HairVeda Sitrinillah (www.Britishcurlies.co.uk/store). I apply conditioner in 4 sections on wet hair and twist each section before sitting under the steamer for 40 minutes. If you are using a dryer or deep conditioning over night, apply on damp hair and cover with cling film. You should DC after every single wash, especially as you have fine hair. You should also use a protein treatment once or twice a month. Komaza Care protein strengthener is excellent.

It is inevitable that your hair will shed, remember we lose 50-100 hairs per day. If it is breakage you need to assess whether hair needs more moisture or protein. I only detangle on wash day and will normally keep my hair in the same style until I wash it. I try to wash every two weeks.

i dont do enough protein treatments . i have used aphogee 2 step alteady...but it makes hair hard (you must sit under à dryer which takes more time)... and that means on loose hair.
maybe i should.shampoo in sections then take them down to add aphogee 2 step. that was there might be less breakage. at thé time i tried it i had no breakage after.

sometimes between washes if there is breakage i spray some aphogee leave in and it stops thé breakage...that comes back à few days after.

coolsista-paris

Ogoma said:
Sometimes I put my DC after washing, steam/DC with a cap for a few mins/hours, and leave it in. Not rinsing it out may lessen manipulation for you. If you section to wash, you will put the DC on before twisting it back or over the twists as you do your cleanser/shampoo.

As someone else mentioned, I am curious how frequently you use protein treatments? If your hair is a fine as you say, I have read you might need to use to a balanced conditioner like GPB (or something similar) weekly. Not using enough protein or too much moisture may be causing problems for you.

you mean i should braid then wash and just do everything in braids? i wonder if thé dc pénétrates well ? is it fine ?

also i havent used my aphogee 2 step in 2.months at least . it stinks like hell and i hate that it hardens ...that i must use à dryer .

is ao GPB à deep condit ? can i use as one? is it thé one that is half moisture,half protein?

ScorpioBeauty09

i have cholestérol. and garnier avocado masque. thé rest is normal conditionner. the mane and tail says " deep moisturising conditionner" do you think i can use any normal condit and just leave it on longer ?
I've only ever used normal conditioners, with or without heat and I've gotten length doing it.:yep: I DC for at least an hour, preferably 30 minutes or more with heat. I've DC-ed an entire night though. Pay attention to what kind of conditioners your hair likes. My hair only takes to Breakage Defense or conditioners for hair exposed heat-styling tools. It does not like moisturizing conditioners.:perplexed:nono:

coolsista-paris

hothair said:
If you have fine hair you need to incorporate some protein to help thicken and strengthen. For me my hair is fine and moisturises easily so easily it breaks without a protein balance.

So weekly I per-poo minimum 2 hours with a cap, or overnight with a protein mild conditioner like Aphogee 2 minute or megatek, then follow up with a moisturising conditioner for co-washing. I also use protein based leave ins like redken anti snap or Aphogee tea tree spray immediately afterwards.

My regular leave in is Giovanni direct which maintains softness and strength until wash days. HTH

wow . weekly you said . oh my im gonna need to find more time for this.
do you use giovanni leave in as à moisturiser day to day? pr just on wash day?

i also havre aphogee 2 min i wanted to leave it overnight but gothique scared as its protein i didn want to endroit up with hard hair. i see that it works fine for you.

i really need to try new stuff. new methods .

westNDNbeauty

I think it may take a little trial and error to determine what deep conditioner really works to moisturize your hair.

But as for not having time to deep condition -- I often put deep conditioner on my dry hair just before bed and sleep with it. The next morning I rinse and continue with my styling rituals then I have the rest of the day to take care of everything else in life.

coolsista-paris

do any of you use protein shampoo such as aphogee or mane and tail? i have them but for thé last month i only used moisturising shampoos .

i really dont know how i should mix and change between protein and moisture .

one week protein,other moisture .
or shampoo protein then dc moisture moisture.
or shampoo moisture then dc protein.
or one week poo +dc protein.
then the other week poo moisture + dc moosture.

ii really dont know. ive been trying but im going nowhere.......

coolsista-paris

westNDNbeauty said:
I think it may take a little trial and error to determine what deep conditioner really works to moisturize your hair.

But as for not having time to deep condition -- I often put deep conditioner on my dry hair just before bed and sleep with it. The next morning I rinse and continue with my styling rituals then I have the rest of the day to take care of everything else in life.

does it work just as well when you dc before shampoo or co washing ? are thé bennefits really there might?

this would also be à great way of saving time. really, i dont have all that time.

lamaria211

coolsista-paris said:

I would use a real deep conditioner especially if your hair is dry. After you use the cholesterol is your hair really soft if so you can stick with that one but if not I suggest you invest in a good moisturizing DC its essential to healthy hair
I don't use poo it dries out my hair to much I now use cleansing conditioners

Last edited:

BadMamaJama

I'm a fine 4b as well. I'm relaxed now but I was natural 4 months ago. For me, it's better to get my protein in small doses with light protein conditioners and stay away from the strong ones. Cholesterol is a good light protein for me. Mane n Tail is too strong for me. VO5 Moisture Milks is also a a good protein for me. I do light protein about once or twice a week, always following with a good moisture dc. I also don't leave protein on too long and I never use heat with it.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
does it work just as well when you dc before shampoo or co washing ? are thé bennefits really there might?

this would also be à great way of saving time. really, i dont have all that time.

Yes, conditioning on dry hair is a GREAT time saver. :yep: I have fine type 4 hair too, so protein conditioning is a must. I deep condition and shampoo in about 8 braids; this method saves time and keeps my hair from tangling. I'm a big fan of AO GPB.

ravenhairedcharm

Deep conditioning doesn't have to take that long. If you do it with heat, the minimum amount of time you need is 10-15 minutes for the best results.

Stella B.

Take a look at Haircrush's deep conditioning UT video. (Thank's, Chime)! :grin: She makes it so simple, and covers the protein moisture balance issue. All you need is a really good protein conditioner and a really good moisturizing conditioner of your choice. She also addresses co-washing and shampooing frequencies, based on your hair's needs. I've tried it twice already, and it has changed my life, because the way she does it is a real time saver. Heck, you don't even have to get in the shower to apply the conditioner unless you want to. Can't wait to see what this method will do for my hair...

coolsista-paris

lamaria211 said:
I would use a real deep conditioner especially if your hair is dry. After you use the cholesterol is your hair really soft if so you can stick with that one but if not I suggest you invest in a good moisturizing DC its essential to healthy hair
I don't use poo it dries out my hair to much I now use cleansing conditioners

i found à garnier fructis shampoo that doesnt dry out my hair and it has no silicones and no paraben . it cleans Well. other shampoos stripped my hair. this one is great .

i used to only co wash before. but i dont feel like its cleaning mu scalp Well.

i realized that i never clarify. but i dont usé dozens of product à part s curl and oils .

coolsista-paris

BadMamaJama said:
I'm a fine 4b as well. I'm relaxed now but I was natural 4 months ago. For me, it's better to get my protein in small doses with light protein conditioners and stay away from the strong ones. Cholesterol is a good light protein for me. Mane n Tail is too strong for me. VO5 Moisture Milks is also a a good protein for me. I do light protein about once or twice a week, always following with a good moisture dc. I also don't leave protein on too long and I never use heat with it.

you mean you do 2 dc on thé same day? do you put protein dc ,rinse then add moisture dc and rinse?

i also though.of relaxing again but with fine hair thats gdonna give me too much work . im already too busy .

coolsista-paris

NappyNelle said:
Yes, conditioning on dry hair is a GREAT time saver. :yep: I have fine type 4 hair too, so protein conditioning is a must. I deep condition and shampoo in about 8 braids; this method saves time and keeps my hair from tangling. I'm a big fan of AO GPB.

great i must try this out. that way i will cut down thé manipulation. so less breakage to thé hair.
i know my hair likes protein and i thought i was doing enough. im actually not as my retention is bad ....what à piss .

ive always wanted to try ao gpb . do you also usé the shampoo ?

coolsista-paris

simplyevanescent said:
Deep conditioning doesn't have to take that long. If you do it with heat, the minimum amount of time you need is 10-15 minutes for the best results.

silly me. yesterday i stayed under thé dryer for 45 min...well ill know for next time. thank you

coolsista-paris

Stella B. said:
Take a look at Haircrush's deep conditioning UT video. (Thank's, Chime)! :grin: She makes it so simple, and covers the protein moisture balance issue. All you need is a really good protein conditioner and a really good moisturizing conditioner of your choice. She also addresses co-washing and shampooing frequencies, based on your hair's needs. I've tried it twice already, and it has changed my life, because the way she does it is a real time saver. Heck, you don't even have to get in the shower to apply the conditioner unless you want to. Can't wait to see what this method will do for my hair...

im already loving thé ideas . thanks

westNDNbeauty

If you are someone that co-washes, adding the deep conditioner and then rinsing in the am is practically co-washing -- its actually more beneficial since the product has been given time to penetrate your strands.

Also, I've learned when your deep conditioner IS indeed moisturizing your hair, one shampoo session (with a moisturizing shampoo) is not going to negate the effect of the conditioner.