How do you dispose of hair products?

brg240

I have some products I want to dump but I want to keep the bottles.

Anyone have an idea how I should go about doing this? I know I shouldn't just flush them or put them in the garbage but I don't know what to do. :(

SimJam

The ones that were just horrid I empty them out in the sink. It's going the same place it wud if I had used them in my hair.

The ones that were just ok, I'll use to detangle or mix into my henna or use them as shaving creme. I give some to my parents to wash the dogs too.

brg240

Give them to my brothers...they dont curr
:lol:

I read you're not supposed to dump them down the drain.

I'm getting rid of things that aren't conditioner so idk about shaving with them. Curling creme, hair detangler, misc stuff that my bro used when he had a mini fro (like 4 years ago. :lol:)

brg240

Question: Whats wrong with just throwing them in the trash??
sometimes hairproducts have toxic ingredients or chemicals that won't break down or something. I googled and I read that. I would do it though :look: but i want the bottles for my own stuff.

SimJam

Question: Whats wrong with just throwing them in the trash??

I like to keep the containers to put my butters and ayurvedic powders in, so I rather pour out the contents.
Also I don't like having to lug a heavy trash out to the garbage.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 2 using LHCF

southerncitygirl

y'all should be recycling and if you dump product re-use the jars/bottles or put them in recycle bin. plastic takes hundreds of yrs to breakdown and there are islands in the ocean of plastic effecting the lives of creatures in the ocean. this also effects our health and well being as well as future generations to come.

belldandy

I just figured that if it is safe to put them on my head, then it would be ok to flush them too. They go down the drain when I rinse them out of my hair anyways. *shrug*

SEMO

sometimes hairproducts have toxic ingredients or chemicals that won't break down or something. I googled and I read that. I would do it though :look: but i want the bottles for my own stuff.

If a product is too unsafe to throw in the trash, then it's too unsafe to be used on a person's hair. I would hold a company more responsible for polluting the environment (and endangering people's health) than any consumer who tossed an unwanted product in the trash.

brg240

If a product is too unsafe to throw in the trash, then it's too unsafe to be used on a person's hair. I would hold a company more responsible for polluting the environment (and endangering people's health) than any consumer who tossed an unwanted product in the trash.
yeah i was thinking that too. Perhaphs they meant relaxers or similar products?