AALIYAHS Hair Regimen (What do you think)

Southernbella.

The hair in my avi isn't hard pressed, just flat ironed, and I get 2 weeks with no reversion. In Georgia. So I know she could probably get even better than that with a professional Marcel press.

I think she had weave for thickness sometimes, but there is no doubt in my mind that she had long, healthy hair.

She was such a beauty. You don't see women like her every day. She was not only beautiful, but she was GRACEFUL. I agree with pp's about her movements. She was very measured and smooth. Nothing was over the top.

Gone too soon.

BeautyGoesDutch

Hey Ladies just my two cents,

If you start from this

You can get to this in two years with a healthy regimen and vits

I have seen girls on here do it and in my family do it. So growing you hair like that can be done

Last edited:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Especially since her mother had long hair too meaning that somebody knows about proper haircare in that household...

LoveLiLi

I remember seeing her in concert back in 97 or 98 and when she came out on stage her hair was long and straight , by the time she left the stage she was sporting a huge type 3 something pouf .

I saw her in 97 as well and the Florida heat must have gotten to her hair because it got bigger and bigger as the show went on. I should look for the pics I took.

I love Aaliyah. I never knew I could take the death of a stranger so hard.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I'll toss a respectful disagreement out there as well.

If somebody showed up on this board today with waist length bone straight natural hair and claimed that they heat trained with a marcel iron (uncontrolled heat source) with enough frequency to sustain the style in a career where they dance on stage under hot lights, walk the red carpet under hot lights and you never see as much as a crinkle of reversion, I KNOW what the response would be.

This is not about believing whether or not a black woman can have long hair. This is about whether I believe that someone could singe their hair on a consistent basis and still retain the amount of length and all signs including occams razor point to uh-uh.

ChristmasCarol

Some hair can withstand straightening 2 or 3 times/wk and still maintain length. Not most, but some. I can only go by what I see with my own eyes on a daily basis. DD is heat-trained to the point of little reversion, even when wet, and still maintains HL/TBL hair to this day.

She's now on a healthy hair journey, though, and only straightens once every 2 weeks or so.

eta: Crackers, I just saw your caveat: marcel iron
We've never used one, so I can't speak on that tool, specifically. I don't know if it's radically different from a flatiron or not.

Last edited:

Minty

:yep::yep::yep::yep: I one of those people who grew up in the 80's with natural, heat-trained hair. By the age of 12 I was successfully pressing my own hair. I use the same technique I learned from my mother to do my daughter's natural hair. You'd never know she not a relaxed head unless you see her on wash day. It's not a lost "skill" but is it a bit more rare these days.

MyAngelEyez~C~U totally off topic, but make a YT video tutorial on this please madam. Proper pressing technique is a lost art.

#skillsbasedlearning

please and thank you kindly. :yep:

kellistarr

I LOVE that picture of Robin Givens!!! I am a true fan and loved her weaves even when they were jacked-up. But back to Aaliyah, Beautiful girl. She had nice hair and added to it with tracks etc. . . to enhance her beautiful glory. This is what I think. She had a style that felt attainable. That is what I liked about her look. Pretty, natural and attainable.
Not over the top. I don't see how you could be an entertainer and not add to your hair with weaves, tracks, wigs. It's about glamour.

kellistarr

A good press is hard to find. But it's not a lost art. I collect Marcel irons and that's what I used when I was into pressing my hair. But many people these days haven't grown up with Marcel and the electric tools have really improved and prove to be much more convenient. People get frightened when they see my Marcel irons! Talk about flaming tools of torture! But when I desire a good press or flat iron, I pull out the big guns. (This practice is quite rare for me, these days).

nappystorm

Ahhh. I remember this regimen:yep:. I started doing it and went from CBL to BSL. I was relaxed so my hair never got as long as hers. I may start back this winter.

We do alot of hating on heat trained naturals but the vast majority of my real life length inspirations (MBL and beyond) are press and curl girls.

I believe her. I have cousins who are press and curl girls and I've never saw frizz, kinks, curl, or waves on their heads either.

aquajoyice

After seeing her hair as a child and then as an adult you can see her hair suffered from the constant heat. It was much thicker when she was younger and I believe the constant heat and manipulation is the reason she needed to add tracks for thickness. Overall she's always had long beautiful hair when it was rare for women in the industry at that time. The 90's were rough on black hair.

almondjoi85

I remember reading somewhere that she had trained her natural hair to be straight. Does anyone else remember reading that?

Leigh

She was beautiful and her hair was drool worthy but for some reason I don't think she would have blown-up. I think she would be in the same boat as Brandy and Monica (who else was big during this time and just disappeared). She had a nice voice but she didn't have a strong voice.

On the other hand her songs were catchy like Rhianna's so she may have been big but for some reason I just don't think so (Kanye shrug).

She had 3 movie deals before her death and a boatload of unreleased tracks. I believe she would've done extremely well.

southerncitygirl

Leigh

:yep:ita , i think she would have stopped doing music and become a mega success in movies and other ventures. she was much more versatile than todays artists. she was easy on the eyes and had a quiet strength about her in addition to being very likeable. she didn't need tons of makeup, lacefronts and skimpy clothing to prove her abilities.
She had 3 movie deals before her death and a boatload of unreleased tracks. I believe she would've done extremely well.

Leigh

Sorry I have to disagree. Aaliyah was very beautiful and talented but I doubt she could put on a show like Bey. I mean all that twerking in the heels while singing, aalitahs rhythm was nowhere near Bey. But I loved them ponytails she had in the one in a million video. I remember watching her performance that live with her shiny black mane swinging down her back. I always loved her hair. Def had one of the healthiest real heads of hair.

Sent from my LG-LW690 using LG-LW690

Aaliyah was a professionally trained dancer, that's ballet/African/jazz/contemporary and of course she could do hip hop. The things she could do is beyond Beyonce.

Afrobuttafly

Why are people disputing whether or not she added tracks 2 her hair? That was ALREADY ESTABLISHED...even in the OP. The point was she had long hair. She added tracks to enhance it but her real hair was also long. As another poster has shown she always had long hair. A lot of celebs with already long hair add tracks for more thickness and/or length. Yall are on LHCF, you know good and well the lengths people can achieve in a couple years. And they are regular, non-celebs at that.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

MyAngelEyez~C~U totally off topic, but make a YT video tutorial on this please madam. Proper pressing technique is a lost art.

#skillsbasedlearning

please and thank you kindly. :yep:

Minty, this isn't a video I made, but what this lady does is pretty much how I do it too: FOREVER STRAIGHT PART 2: How I press my hair

The key to a good press is utilizing the back of the pressing comb as your smoothing agent. That's what will give you a nice press.

I use a flat-iron these days, but the same basic technique applies IMO.

Here's my vid I made last year here. This was last November. She's BSL now.

Last edited:

summerof1990

Aaliyah's hair was always enviable to me. Even looking at really old pics, she had a head full of hair. I remember the one where she was really young ans it was around APL I believe. It's not hard to see how she could make bsl and beyond as time went by.
I have a friend that has the nerve to say Aaliyah wasn't all that good looking. I was like

Aaliyah was beautiful is many ways and she wouldn't have to change a thing to "compete" with over the top divas in my opinion. Everyone has their own lane. She would have grown and advanced of course, but she would've still been mellow, can dance her butt off Aaliyah. Not everyone has to be a vocal powerhouse to be really huge (obviously). I call Aaliyah the black Selena and Selena the Mexican Aaliyah because their stories were both so tragic and had many similarities. I miss them both.

true.aaliyah personality and sweetness would have gave some of the rnb divas a run

Naveah2050

This is so ironic - are we disagreeing with all her length being hers because she doesnt subscribe to the LHCF handbook for long hair i.e. minimal heat? I mean on this site we see people achieve the same length and growth she achieved and don't question them so I really do not see the big deal. I have seen a lot of friends with natural hair achieving healthy thick hair with no reversion using the press and curl method (this is actually what inspired me to go natural and leave the creamy crack alone)

CrissieD

I need to learn this no reversion press technique. Will it work in Florida aka 90 degrees 90% humidity 90% of the time

Sent from my Super Kewl EVO... Please blame the phone for the typos

kizzylonghair

Whether she wore tracks for fullness or not.
Looking at the family photo's inc her late Grandmother (gene pool) there no denying that Aaliyah had the potentially to have waist length if she cared for it.

Dove56

She had the same nose as she did in her childhood photos. Black people can have naturally small noses.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SGH-T959V