Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

JJamiah

Summer time just seems bothersome. I hope wigging it will help me not feel pressured to cut. I can deal with the winter time. :yep:

Right now Ponytails natural and phony are helping me through this desire to clip LOL

jayjaycurlz

You have my blessing, :lachen: If I can make it to the 2 1/2 year mark, I think I can stretch to 3. It's just so hard to stay patient! :spinning:

I totally agree! I didn't take care of ends my first year but now that I've finally found a reggie that is working and I'm seeing my hair thrive, I'm more confident that I can carry on w/o BCing until I get to BSL :grin:

My last touch up was August 2008 and it has been quite the journey to get this place where I know the products and regimen my hair likes.

jayjaycurlz

Summer time just seems bothersome. I hope wigging it will help me not feel pressured to cut. I can deal with the winter time. :yep:

Right now Ponytails natural and phony are helping me through this desire to clip LOL

:lachen:Too funny - I've been PSing hard all winter so I wouldn't be tempted to cut. Being in the 2012 HYH challenge has helped me tremendously.
Wig on JJamiah!

JJamiah

I am jayjaycurlz. I feel confident for the 24 month mark, it is the 36 month mark I am a little worried about :giggle:

I am looking for some 4 week hair styles that will hold me over.

VelvetRain

My new growth in between relaxers always amazes me so much that I play with it from time to time. I see and feel all these little cute coils. I will be taking this week by week and pray that these two textures learn to get along together and play nice. I am braced for an interesting ride.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
About to go have a wash session, its just been high buns for me so far. Its so dang on HOT in Houston.

JJamiah

Ladies what are your summer hair styles? I am thinking a wig. I don't want to fuss with my pony tails all summer long. I might even go lace front again.

I have the MOMMY WIG, Kay and my Fantasia that is in my siggy that I was planning to rock.

Shelew

JJamiah said:
Ladies what are your summer hair styles? I am thinking a wig. I don't want to fuss with my pony tails all summer long. I might even go lace front again.

I have the MOMMY WIG, Kay and my Fantasia that is in my siggy that I was planning to rock.

Maybe I need to try a wig and just braid up for the summer. I don't feel like dealing with it either. We shall see :)

Simple messy buns, puffs and twistouts will do for me. I may get some cornrows in. We'll see. I have a wig. But, dang, if it's too hot.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang

Buns..... too hot or wigs in Houston. Its already 96 F degrees. If I do get something it would be a quick weave on a cap. But a very short doo.

Leslie_C

Ok, so I called myself catching up on this thread the past few days....I have gotten to page 32 of 86 so far...my eyes are crossed and I need a break LOL. So Ill just try to read like 5 pages a day until Ive read it all.

Im around 4.5 months post relaxer and so far so good other than my constant battle with dryness. I just decided to transition at the end of April, and I have been really consistent with taking care of my hair since then. Ive also done 2 mini chops already (if you can call several inches a mini chop lol). I think Ill leave the scissors alone until the fall.

I have a question....has anyone had success with frequent washing/cowashing during their transition? By frequent I mean 2-3 times per week? It seems like that is the only way for my hair to stay moisturized because I have yet to find any kind of daily moisturizer that works on my hair at all. But after a good wet down and conditioner it feels good again...for a day or two. It seems that most agree that minimal manipulation is a key and Im not sure if frequent washing will cause problems in the long run. Style isnt an issue because my hair wont hold a style for more than a day anyway lol.

Oh and one more question...my hair has all the symptoms over being overly porous, but it floats when I put it in water...so does that mean it isnt porous? Im having a hard time getting to know my hair..Im considering sending it off to have it analyzed lol.

Ill be so happy when I get to 6 months, that will be a major milestone for me :) Then I guess 9 months and of course the big 1 year!

MsDee14

29 weeks post!

I've been wearing my hair in twists(with my own hair) for 2-3 week intervals for the last few months.
I'm in the twist challenge, so once that ends..I'll be wearing my hair out/loose for 2 months straight. Well maybe I'll bun in a few days too...who am I kidding, I'll bun during the week and wear my hair out on weekends.
Can't wait!

newbeginnings2010

MsDee14
Congrats! I follow your blog often (just started commenting though), and I have a question. I wear my hair similar to the way you wear yours, except I braid and plait my own hair. My question is how often do you wash and DC your hair, and how do you keep it from getting frizzy after the wash? TIA

newbeginnings2010

Leslie_C
I'm not well versed in the art of porous hair, but maybe I can help with the cowashing. I think low manipulation is key for those who are 4a or 4b. If you're in the 3's, I think you have a little more leeway with the manipulation. If you are in the 4s, finger detangling on wet or prepooed hair and washing in sections (preferably braided, plaited, or twisted) will be your best friends with that amount of manipulation. Also, have you tried DCing? That might help you retain moisture a little longer. For in between washes, I use Aveeno Leave-in or African Pride braid spray. HTH!

MsDee14

MsDee14
Congrats! I follow your blog often (just started commenting though), and I have a question. I wear my hair similar to the way you wear yours, except I braid and plait my own hair. My question is how often do you wash and DC your hair, and how do you keep it from getting frizzy after the wash? TIA

Thank you!!!! and thanks for commenting on my blog. :grin:
Isn't it so much easier to just put the hair away?!

I wash and DC every 2-3 weeks depending on how long I keep the twists in. After I remove the twists, I do my full detailed wash routine.
While in twists, I would either co-wash(dilute the conditioner), rinse my scalp and shampoo(diluted) only about once a week. It all depends on how my scalp feels, if I work out or if I feel like my hair is dirty.
Immediately after doing any of the above, I spray some leave-in(my Aloe-vera mix), pull hair back in a loose bun and tie with a satin scarf. That helps eliminate frizz.
If I do get frizz, I just re-do the twists in visible areas but only once a week the most.
HTH

Last edited:

Leslie_C

@newbeginnings2010 ...Im definitely at least a 4a and probably 4b in the crown/middle back). I prepoo with coconut oil and DC once per week with ORS Replenishing Conditioner or Aussie Moist 3 minute miracle, and my hair feels nice afterwards...but it seems all moisture evaporates from my hair by 2 days later. Maybe I should try some different DC's? Do you have any suggestions? [/COLOR]

Right now washing once a week and cowashing once mid week seems to work out ok and I try my best not to let it get too dry in between. Right now I wash in 2 sections and detangle/moisturize in 4, and believe it or not detangling is very easy when it is wet. I dont dare try to do it dry though....even just handling it dry trying to moisturize it causes breakage. Hmm...I seem to suffer more damage from handling dry then wet...bc when it is wet I lose very little hair...but for example today I was trying to stretch it out one more day befor washing even though it was bone dry--so I tried to moisturize and seal in 4 sections....every time I touched my hair I got hair coming out :( Much more than I get when handling with wet.
some shedding but some breakage. Might have been better off to dunk it in the shower and cowash.

I wonder if I might need a protein treatment to help with strength and moisture retention but I am afraid to make the dryness worse...*sigh*?

When you say wash in braided sections, do you mean wash in the braids or unbraid, wash and braid back up section be section?

Last edited:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I made 26 weeks on Wednesday and six months on Thursday. :grin: I'm very proud of myself. I just can't wait until two years. I think at that point I'll be ready to be rid of all my texlaxed ends.

ResultsMayVary

8 months since my last uber damaging BKT treatment, the heat damaged ends are breaking like crazy but I guess it's okay since I'll cut them one day.. :ohwell:

4 more to go until year 1..

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
11 months and five days!

my ends are feeling really dry. i think i have been manipulating to much. i am going to deep treat my hair tonight and wednesday i am weaving it up for the summer. my hair will be up until august! i can't wait!!!!!

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
@newbeginnings2010 ...Im definitely at least a 4a and probably 4b in the crown/middle back). I prepoo with coconut oil and DC once per week with ORS Replenishing Conditioner or Aussie Moist 3 minute miracle, and my hair feels nice afterwards...but it seems all moisture evaporates from my hair by 2 days later. Maybe I should try some different DC's? Do you have any suggestions? [/COLOR]

Right now washing once a week and cowashing once mid week seems to work out ok and I try my best not to let it get too dry in between. Right now I wash in 2 sections and detangle/moisturize in 4, and believe it or not detangling is very easy when it is wet. I dont dare try to do it dry though....even just handling it dry trying to moisturize it causes breakage. Hmm...I seem to suffer more damage from handling dry then wet...bc when it is wet I lose very little hair...but for example today I was trying to stretch it out one more day befor washing even though it was bone dry--so I tried to moisturize and seal in 4 sections....every time I touched my hair I got hair coming out :( Much more than I get when handling with wet.
some shedding but some breakage. Might have been better off to dunk it in the shower and cowash.

I wonder if I might need a protein treatment to help with strength and moisture retention but I am afraid to make the dryness worse...*sigh*?

When you say wash in braided sections, do you mean wash in the braids or unbraid, wash and braid back up section be section?

i would consider using a gentle clarifying treatment like Apple cider vinegar diluted with water. ( i use 2 tbsp to 16 oz of water) or a light cleasing shampoo like tresemme deep cleansing shampoo. to remove any buildup from your hair that may be causing dryness.

then i would do a deep moisturizing treatment.

washing in braids means to keep the hair in braids while shampooing to minimize tangles. i like to dilute my shampoo with water in an applicator bottle and then squeeze it into my scalp and down the braids or twists.

the link i mentioned is gone. i will find another.

Last edited:

newbeginnings2010

i would consider using a gentle clarifying treatment like Apple cider vinegar diluted with water. ( i use 2 tbsp to 16 oz of water) or a light cleasing shampoo like tresemme deep cleansing shampoo. to remove any buildup from your hair that may be causing dryness.

washing in braids means to keep the hair in braids while shampooing to minimize tangles. i like to dilute my shampoo with water in an applicator bottle and then squeeze it into my scalp and down the braids or twists.

Leslie_C

What she said!

Leslie_C

Thanks for the suggestion. I do an ACV as a final rinse about every week or two (for scalp issues and closing the cuticle) and I clarified at the beginning of May when I started this new regimen...so yea maybe its time to clarify again. Is once every 4-6 weeks enough? I still have a bottle of neutrogena anti-residue shampoo...do you think that is ok as long as I dilute it?

The weird thing is, the severe dryness is only in my crown/middle of the back of my head(an area about the size of my palm)...everything else is managable soft. This is the same area where Ive suffered breakage even before transitioning. Is it possible its just overprocessed hair and then I have scab hair coming out at the root? Its very rough textured, its shorter than the rest of my hair, and it doesnt curl or show definition as well with my styles as the rest of my hair. My front, sides, and nape have good amount of newgrowth (2 inches or so) and they are soft and managable. Ill be smooth sailing if I can get my trouble zone to get with the program!

Debating on doing my hair tonight or in the morning. Guess Ill prepoo now while I decide. Nah actually Ill wait til after my hubby gets home from work so he can see I did look fly or at least somewhat presentable at some point today lol.:look:

daviine

30 weeks today! I'm still trying to find my holy grail moisturizing conditioner and moisturizer. I've been jumping around with different products. When I find something that makes me borderline excited, then I hope to be able to build a regimen around that product.

Simple messy buns, puffs and twistouts will do for me. I may get some cornrows in. We'll see. I have a wig. But, dang, if it's too hot.

chrisanddonniesmommy , Do you have any pics of your messy buns? My hair often looks messy, but its not on purpose, :grin:.

Ok, so I called myself catching up on this thread the past few days....I have gotten to page 32 of 86 so far...my eyes are crossed and I need a break LOL. So Ill just try to read like 5 pages a day until Ive read it all.

Im around 4.5 months post relaxer and so far so good other than my constant battle with dryness. I just decided to transition at the end of April, and I have been really consistent with taking care of my hair since then. Ive also done 2 mini chops already (if you can call several inches a mini chop lol). I think Ill leave the scissors alone until the fall.

I have a question....has anyone had success with frequent washing/cowashing during their transition? By frequent I mean 2-3 times per week? It seems like that is the only way for my hair to stay moisturized because I have yet to find any kind of daily moisturizer that works on my hair at all. But after a good wet down and conditioner it feels good again...for a day or two. It seems that most agree that minimal manipulation is a key and Im not sure if frequent washing will cause problems in the long run. Style isnt an issue because my hair wont hold a style for more than a day anyway lol.

Oh and one more question...my hair has all the symptoms over being overly porous, but it floats when I put it in water...so does that mean it isnt porous? Im having a hard time getting to know my hair..Im considering sending it off to have it analyzed lol.

Ill be so happy when I get to 6 months, that will be a major milestone for me :) Then I guess 9 months and of course the big 1 year!

Leslie_C This is exactly how my hair acts as well. Let me know if you find something that seems promising so I can run out and try it too...:spinning:

Right now washing once a week and cowashing once mid week seems to work out ok and I try my best not to let it get too dry in between. Right now I wash in 2 sections and detangle/moisturize in 4, and believe it or not detangling is very easy when it is wet. I dont dare try to do it dry though....even just handling it dry trying to moisturize it causes breakage. Hmm...I seem to suffer more damage from handling dry then wet...bc when it is wet I lose very little hair...but for example today I was trying to stretch it out one more day befor washing even though it was bone dry--so I tried to moisturize and seal in 4 sections....every time I touched my hair I got hair coming out :( Much more than I get when handling with wet. some shedding but some breakage. Might have been better off to dunk it in the shower and cowash.

I'm experiencing all of this as well.

I'll keep monitoring this thread to see if anyone has made any discoveries that I might found useful.

Keep it up ladies!