Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Julessy

MissMusic

I TOTALLY get what you are feeling. My last relaxer was June 4, 2011 and I just can't do it anymore. It requires a lot of time and dedication to care for transitioning hair. I have a 4 month-old and with taking care of him full time, I just don't have the time to nurture the two textures anymore. I'd much rather deal with one texture and that being my NATURAL texture, so I'm opting to BC on my one year anniversary as opposed to waiting two years.

When is your one year anniversary?

newbeginnings2010

Checking in: I couldn't take my plaits anymore so I took them out yesterday. I missed my hair and I'm so happy it's free! :grin: It seems the topic of conversation lately is detangling. I think detangling is different for every person depending on their hair type and how far into the transition they are. I'm a 4b, 5 months into my transition, and I have pretty thick hair. This is the method I used yesterday:

1. After I took out my plaits (finger detangling each piece as I went), I actually put my hair in four sections and detangled my hair with a spray bottle of water and EVOO (shake after every use) after ALL of my plaits were out. Kind of like a pre-poo. I only dampened the hair, I didn't soak it.

2. I shampooed in the four sections with CON shampoo, concentrating mostly on the scalp, but I only finger detangled under the running water.

3. I got out of the shower, towel-blotted my hair, then applied Shea Moisture shea butter conditioner to each section.

4. I allowed my hair to air dry for about 15-20 minutes loosened, then gently detangled each section with the shower comb.

5. I ponytail air-dried overnight in the four sections to stretch the NG.

6. This morning I took the ponytails out, detangled once more with my Jilbere (just to be sure that it didn't tangle overnight), then gently maneuvered hair into a bun with a little Eco-styler olive oil gel on the edges. Tied it down for 20 minutes and was ready to go.

The only thing I think I'll change is the detangling again in the morning. When I ran the shower comb through my hair, there was little to no tangling, and only a few hairs were lost in the process, letting me know that the extra detangling was unnecessary. I think stretching the NG in the ponytail airdrying was key. I don't plan on sticking with this shampooing/detangling method for the rest of my transition, but it works well for now.

My braidouts are getting thicker and fuller! But, of course, the bane of my hair's existence are the relaxed ends that are left in my hair. Now, mind you they are primarily in my front and some in my crown. I know, I know. Cut! But, no, I have to persevere to see how long I can go. LOL!

A856

I had a bad dream not too long ago. For what ever reason, someone put some perm on my hair....and I was like dammit...now I gotta start transitioning all over again.

Glad it was just a dream....

what I think I will do is cut the permed ends off at the nape area (just a small section) and see what it's really looking like...

I had a bad dream not too long ago. For what ever reason, someone put some perm on my hair....and I was like dammit...now I gotta start transitioning all over again.

Glad it was just a dream....

what I think I will do is cut the permed ends off at the nape area (just a small section) and see what it's really looking like...

Ah, the relaxer nightmare! Welcome to transitioning. It's par for the course. :lachen::grin:

MissMusic

@MissMusic

I TOTALLY get what you are feeling. My last relaxer was June 4, 2011 and I just can't do it anymore. It requires a lot of time and dedication to care for transitioning hair. I have a 4 month-old and with taking care of him full time, I just don't have the time to nurture the two textures anymore. I'd much rather deal with one texture and that being my NATURAL texture, so I'm opting to BC on my one year anniversary as opposed to waiting two years.

When is your one year anniversary?

EXACTLY! My anniversary is May 19th. I am currently in a set of braids that I am not taking out until June, so I will definitely big chop then.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I just looked at some gray roots and realized that I do get a half inch per month. I thought I was a slow grower. This is encouraging. Maybe I won't have to transition forever and ever like I was thinking.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Checking in: I couldn't take my plaits anymore so I took them out yesterday. I missed my hair and I'm so happy it's free! :grin: It seems the topic of conversation lately is detangling. I think detangling is different for every person depending on their hair type and how far into the transition they are. I'm a 4b, 5 months into my transition, and I have pretty thick hair. This is the method I used yesterday:

1. After I took out my plaits (finger detangling each piece as I went), I actually put my hair in four sections and detangled my hair with a spray bottle of water and EVOO (shake after every use) after ALL of my plaits were out. Kind of like a pre-poo. I only dampened the hair, I didn't soak it.

2. I shampooed in the four sections with CON shampoo, concentrating mostly on the scalp, but I only finger detangled under the running water.

3. I got out of the shower, towel-blotted my hair, then applied Shea Moisture shea butter conditioner to each section.

4. I allowed my hair to air dry for about 15-20 minutes loosened, then gently detangled each section with the shower comb.

5. I ponytail air-dried overnight in the four sections to stretch the NG.

6. This morning I took the ponytails out, detangled once more with my Jilbere (just to be sure that it didn't tangle overnight), then gently maneuvered hair into a bun with a little Eco-styler olive oil gel on the edges. Tied it down for 20 minutes and was ready to go.

The only thing I think I'll change is the detangling again in the morning. When I ran the shower comb through my hair, there was little to no tangling, and only a few hairs were lost in the process, letting me know that the extra detangling was unnecessary. I think stretching the NG in the ponytail airdrying was key. I don't plan on sticking with this shampooing/detangling method for the rest of my transition, but it works well for now.

i agree. this is key for me. i'm almost 10 months post and i neeeeeeeed to stretch the new growth to make it compatible with the length of my hair.

keep the faith ladies....every time i get frustrated with my hair, i remind myself that i can cut it any time. which i have no desire to do....BUT, if you want to cut, i say go for it!:yep:

Meemee6223

I am loving my hair at the moment. I've come to the realization that I need to treat my hair like it's natural rather than relaxed. The natural hair is totally winning and I'm not going to fight with her anymore. I've realized that trying to comb my hair is a losing battle and finger combing makes my life a heck of a lot easier. I can see now that my hair isn't even tangled like I thought it was... I'm happy...until I hit the next obstacle!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

newbeginnings2010

Trying to combat the dryness of my relaxed hair. The NG seems to be holding moisture better than my airdried relaxed hair. Not sure what I'm going to do about this. Maybe I'll put it in a big plait and baggy tonight with EVOO.

daviine

I just tried to take a pic of my new growth but it just looks to me like I'm balding/thinning in the crown area. My husband said the same a few weeks ago after I asked him to examine a part of my head that was itching in a weird kind of way.

The part seems wider than I think it should be but I'm too embarrassed to post it. If it is balding/thinning, I'm wondering if it from the gajillion ponytails I've put my hair in over the years or relaxing or both. Bunning is supposed to be my go-to style until I figure out what my hair needs/wants in terms of moisture. I'm really trying so hard to remember but I think I vaguely remember a stylist telling me to vary the position of my ponytails--and if she said that was it because she saw something or was she just giving preventative advice? Can't remember. I don't know.

Went to the dermatologist today who confirmed that my hair was thinning and prescribed some medication and came up with a new regimen for me. No oils-- only cones. :hair: The diagnosis.... "seborrheic dermatitis with associated hair breakage". :scratchch

I'm too tired to write a full post about my experience today but to me, hair loss and hair breakage are two different animals. :nono:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Went to the dermatologist today who confirmed that my hair was thinning and prescribed some medication and came up with a new regimen for me. No oils-- only cones. :hair: The diagnosis.... "seborrheic dermatitis with associated hair breakage". :scratchch

I'm too tired to write a full post about my experience today but to me, hair loss and hair breakage are two different animals. :nono:

Well, the good thing is, now that you know what's going on and have a treatment prescribed, hopefully things will get better and you may experience regrowth in those thinning areas. I don't know if your dr suggested using a dandruff shampoo with Zinc pyrithione but, I know that there's studies that show that Z.P. not only helps with dandruff but also stimulates regrowth.

Stay hopeful. The diagnosis doesn't sound as bad as it must feel. Sounds like what you have is caused by an oily scalp and blocked pores. Not likely permanent. Stay hopeful. Healing is on its way. :bighug:

Rae81

I cut a little section of my relaxed ends off, I love my curls . When I stretch it. It comes down to my chin. Not ready to cut it all off yet I want more length

ForumRunner_20120421_100436.jpg

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Last edited:

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
Ok can some direct me to or give me a good braid out tutorial or some steps. I can't corn row and my braid outs always come out horrible.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Ok can some direct me to or give me a good braid out tutorial or some steps. I can't corn row and my braid outs always come out horrible.

Here's one from Longhairdontcare2011 (Domin over at BHM).

http://youtu.be/Gl0zshvjp5U

I've been wanting to learn how to braid my own hair too. I can cornrow others or french braid mine but not cornrow. I thought she was moving slowly enough so you can see what she's doing. (I just wish her nails weren't black like her hair but it's still clear what's going on.) Also, seeing her super long hair is always a plus. :lick:

HTH

ready2gro

Hi! Im currently in braids and it looks like the back of my hair is growing faster than the front. The way it was cut the back is probably 50% or a little more natural and the front and sides are only 15-25% natural. Do y'all think that has something to do with it?

newbeginnings2010

Okay. I'm officially the creepy girl drooling over the gorgeous natural head of hair at the table next to me in Panera. Curse the lack of self control that caused me to give up my transition two years ago! I could have that hair now!

Nerd.

AND IM OUT.

:lachen: I did it guys. I spent the past 2 years and 8 months transitioning and its officially over!! *heel click*

I am so happy.
Keep up the great work everyone, and do not give up. I feel so much pride knowing that I stayed focus and achieved my goal. The reward of being natural again made everything so worth it.
I love my hair.

So farewell and adios.

*sprints to the natural side*

See you all there!:luv2:

ready2gro

Nerd. said:
AND IM OUT.

:lachen: I did it guys. I spent the past 2 years and 8 months transitioning and its officially over!! *heel click*

I am so happy.
Keep up the great work everyone, and do not give up. I feel so much pride knowing that I stayed focus and achieved my goal. The reward of being natural again made everything so worth it.
I love my hair.

So farewell and adios.

Omg I'm so motivated!!! Your hair is beautiful!

AND IM OUT.

I am so happy.
I love my hair.

So farewell and adios.

Congrats!!

Cocoeuro

Nerd. said:
AND IM OUT.

I am so happy.
I love my hair.

So farewell and adios.

congrats, I'm starting to transition again for the second and last time

Cruzankink

I bit the bullet guys... I did the BC. I BC about 2 weeks ago (6 months post) but was so busy I was unable to post it till now. My goal was to transition for a year but my hair had other plans. It WAS scary but I LOVE it. I'm getting to know my hair and we are in a loving courtship. I can't wait to make certain natural hair milestones like afro puff, twist outs etc. Here are some pics. Thanx for your support and happy transition!

Before BC.jpg

After BC.jpg

dressed up After BC.jpg

havilland

AND IM OUT.

I am so happy.
I love my hair.

So farewell and adios.

wow! congrats! is it big chop week or what? :lol:

havilland

I bit the bullet guys... I did the BC. I BC about 2 weeks ago (6 months post) but was so busy I was unable to post it till now. My goal was to transition for a year but my hair had other plans. It WAS scary but I LOVE it. I'm getting to know my hair and we are in a loving courtship. I can't wait to make certain natural hair milestones like afro puff, twist outs etc. Here are some pics. Thanx for your support and happy transition!

View attachment 146433

View attachment 146435

View attachment 146437

congrats to you too!!!! :yep:

ResultsMayVary

It's been 6 months since the permanent BKT damage, when I was transitioning from relaxed hair this what my breaking point.
But the difference between my "new growth" and my BKT'd hair is ridiculous at this point :nono:

Just hoping I don't break at this point again *hides scissors*

newbeginnings2010

Ladies, are regular braidouts really practical for retaining our relaxed ends? I've been thinking, and it seems like and awful lot of manipulation to rebraid every night and unbraid every morning. Wouldn't that result in significant tangling on wash day? What are you ladies using as a regular style while transitioning?