Curlformers Challenge!

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I went to Sally's this weekend and they finally had the extra long and wide styling kit :yay:! So of course I had to buy the kit :lol:. Now I should be good to go cuz now I have 70 curlformers :grin:. I was able to do smaller sections this time around and I had pretty good results with just air drying. I didn't take pics this time around cuz I mainly use curlformers to stretch my natural hair. I wore a curly fro this weekend and now I'm in a bun for the rest of the week :yep:.

YoursTrulyRE

So last nights curlformer set was a fail. the curls lasted about 10 min then fell. I think it was a mixture of the wind and my hair not being dry all the way.

It did stretch my hair so I twisted it up and will try again next weekend.

HanaKuroi

^^^^^ your hair has to be completely dry. Same as with braidouts, twistouts and rollersets. The issue with curlformers is it takes forever to dry. So you must plan accordingly. :) you'll nail it next time

Hazel

Hi Ladies,

Just checking in. This is my second curlformer since I last checked in. I did one last Sunday and one today. I primarily use them for the stretching effect--not the style itself. I usually bantu-knot out my hair after it has been stretched with the curlformers. My fine-medium density hair usually looks fuller and fluffier that way. Hope everyone else is doing well.

WriterGirl

Hello ladies,

I'll probably do a curlformer set tonight. More for the stretch effect as well to get my hair in a curly puff.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I did my curlformers set on Sunday morning and took them out that evening. This is the first time I got really good results to where I actually wanted to wear it as a style (I'm thinking its cuz of my henna treatment). I've gotten a lot of nice compliments about my curls at work today :grin:. Its now in bantu knots and it'll be bunned tomorrow :yep:.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I've only been lurking on this thread, but... you ladies are totally to blame. I just bought 5 packs of the short & narrow. :drunk: lol

It would be a nice change up from the twist outs I wear everyday. :yep:

Thanks for this thread!

*goes back to lurking...*

Hazel

DarkJoy said:
I've only been lurking on this thread, but... you ladies are totally to blame. I just bought 5 packs of the short & narrow. :drunk: lol

It would be a nice change up from the twist outs I wear everyday. :yep:

Thanks for this thread!

*goes back to lurking...*

DarkJoy lol. Your welcome. Thanks for visiting. Let us know how you like them :)

swtpea

Ok ladies! Time to spill the beans! What products are you using for your sets? Let's list our hits & misses. So far I only have misses. Even though my curls look beautiful, I stall don't have the feel that I want. Every curly pudding & cream seems to leave too much of a residue. I really want soft curls, with no residue, just a silky-slip feeling. Any suggestions? Misses for me: Miss Jessie's, Silicon Mix, & Shea Moisture.

Attachments

• image-835746764.jpg
    image-835746764.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 113

winona

swtpea
Hi :)

I am not in this challenge but I love how my sets come out. I do everything in sections 2 in front and 2 in the back. I use ASIAN leave in or PM The Conditioner Leave In (lightly;2 quarter sizes for each front and 1 quarter size for each back) then oil blend or pomade (lightly) and KeraCare Foam Wrap Lotion. Last week I use a mix I found in the roller setting thread I think it was similar to TopNotch recipe 2:1:1 but I did 3oz water:1oz lottabody:1oz KeraCare foam wrap lotion and I got a beautiful set that way too:)

HTH

ETA pics of 3 different sets:)

First set is most recent, 2nd set is one of my firsts before I got my technique down, and last one is somewhere in between

Attachments

• IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 170
  • _D7K9963.jpg
    _D7K9963.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Lilmama1011

winona said:
swtpea
Hi :)

I am not in this challenge but I love how my sets come out. I do everything in sections 2 in front and 2 in the back. I use ASIAN leave in or PM The Conditioner Leave In (lightly;2 quarter sizes for each front and 1 quarter size for each back) then oil blend or pomade (lightly) and KeraCare Foam Wrap Lotion. Last week I use a mix I found in the roller setting thread I think it was similar to TopNotch recipe 2:1:1 but I did 3oz water:1oz lottabody:1oz KeraCare foam wrap lotion and I got a beautiful set that way too:)

HTH

ETA pics of 3 different sets:)

First set is most recent, 2nd set is one of my firsts before I got my technique down, and last one is somewhere in between

Pretty :) did you buy the whole set or individual curl formers and what size and if individual packs how many packs you used?

winona

Lilmama1011 Thank you. I bought the long and wide set awhile ago but I hardly ever use those ones(the set in the yellow shirt). i like the extra wide and long ones(the other 2 sets) because they give a looser curl. I bought them individually when Sally's had a 25% off sale and free shipping. Because I am natural I have found that my separating my curls after set DO NOT work for me. I end up with a frizzy mess but I have seen looser textured natural and relaxed ladies do this on youtube with no problems at all. I use about 60 long and extra wide and think I used about 80 long and wide. This was a big investment but I get awesome sets that can last a week but I workout during the week so this is a weekend style for me. I do not go to the salon so I am a complete DIY. I added up the times I have set me hair and it has more than paid for itself assuming that a wash,dc, set cost about $25.

Lilmama1011

winona said:
Lilmama1011 Thank you. I bought the long and wide set awhile ago but I hardly ever use those ones(the set in the yellow shirt). i like the extra wide and long ones(the other 2 sets) because they give a looser curl. I bought them individually when Sally's had a 25% off sale and free shipping. Because I am natural I have found that my separating my curls after set DO NOT work for me. I end up with a frizzy mess but I have seen looser textured natural and relaxed ladies do this on youtube with no problems at all. I use about 60 long and extra wide and think I used about 80 long and wide. This was a big investment but I get awesome sets that can last a week but I workout during the week so this is a weekend style for me. I do not go to the salon so I am a complete DIY. I added up the times I have set me hair and it has more than paid for itself assuming that a wash,dc, set cost about $25.

I think I will go with the long and wide because I like that your hair is more drawn up right there and feel it will last longer, and being that I moisturize every day they will eventually drop anyways, the other curls will probably be gone the next day and I want it to last a week being that I wash every week, so you use all one color at a time?

WriterGirl

Well I have been learning what DOES NOT work. :lol: I did my last curlformer set without sealing (I usually seal with Dax) and it turned out a hot dry mess.

So, for this weekend's set, I will go back to sealing with Dax again. I may have to invest in some more extra wide and long rollers because like winona said above, I'm learning the more natural I become, the more I can't seperate my curls when I was early in my transition.

The extra wide will give me more stretch too since I use them more to stretch my hair now more than anything.

Hazel

Still loving my curlformers results but--since committing to this challenge, I realize my fine strands can't take such frequent manipulation :ohwell: Its not so much breakage I've noticed, but perhaps a weaker strand. I just washed and did a light protein treatment with CJ Strengthening treatment. I may have to install my curlformers every other week instead of weekly installs I've been doing, which has proven to be taxing on my fine stands.

How have you other ladies (in the challenge or not) been faring with the curlformers and the health of your hair. Again, my slippery conditioner mix swtpea , has so far been a hit. My issue is the frequency--weekly installs are overkill for my strands.

Last edited:

ecadnacmc

I did hair today after 2 day prepoo with Burt's Bee moisturizing condish, AVJ, JBCO & honey, CW with VO5 tea tree therapy, & set on curlformers with Giovanni SAS & blend of avocado butter, JBCO, vatika CO, JO, & grapeseed oil. Under Pibbs for 50 mins. Here are my results:

image-3999623556.jpg

Lilmama1011

Did any of yal have problems when first using the curl formers, I just purchase them (long and wide) and did it on Monday and I had to find out I had to do even small pieces of hair in the curl formers, I thought the parts was already small but it's not and have to purchase more and my hair kept getting stuck and I get frustrated and I tugged and ripped hair out :( did any of you encounter in tugging as well?

Lilmama1011

image-695678903.jpg

This how it came out but it wasn't as shiny and moisturized looking as some of yals, that's why I don't know should I not use the aphogee green tea while wearing curls?

ResultsMayVary

I did hair today after 2 day prepoo with Burt's Bee moisturizing condish, AVJ, JBCO & honey, CW with VO5 tea tree therapy, & set on curlformers with Giovanni SAS & blend of avocado butter, JBCO, vatika CO, JO, & grapeseed oil. Under Pibbs for 50 mins. Here are my results:

View attachment 142115

Love the thickness and roundness of the hair in the curl (if that makes sense) what did you do when you installed? (technique wise)?!

winona

[USER=327265 said:
Lilmama1011[/USER];15544707]Did any of yal have problems when first using the curl formers, I just purchase them (long and wide) and did it on Monday and I had to find out I had to do even small pieces of hair in the curl formers, I thought the parts was already small but it's not and have to purchase more and my hair kept getting stuck and I get frustrated and I tugged and ripped hair out :( did any of you encounter in tugging as well?

No but I watched this lady(1Romogirl; she took her videos down) over and over again before installing:)

I also like the feisty house videos to
Curlformers on Natural Hair
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jon...DvjVQa1PpcFPwG1h8ndPODRpmVDpqCI2_GtRCU6tQwXE=

How to Make a Set Last
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCZ8...DvjVQa1PpcFPwG1h8ndPODQcKujw1_k-cBm5LZRzmOZg=

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Did any of yal have problems when first using the curl formers, I just purchase them (long and wide) and did it on Monday and I had to find out I had to do even small pieces of hair in the curl formers, I thought the parts was already small but it's not and have to purchase more and my hair kept getting stuck and I get frustrated and I tugged and ripped hair out :( did any of you encounter in tugging as well?
I was having that same problem with my hair getting stuck :yep:. I ended up buying a styling kit so now I have 70 curlformers and I use smaller sections which has helped me alot. Occasionally, I still get some hair stuck and its because your hair needs to have enough slip so make sure to apply enough product to the section before installing the curlformer.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Okay ladies. I need a little bit of help here from my naturals that are using curlformers. What products are you using to set your hair? Are you doing your set on dry hair or soaking wet hair? Are you using anything to seal your hair? Lately, I've been having issues with my curlformers set swelling/frizzing right after I take them out. They start off looking good then in about an hour its a big poofy mess :lol:. I was using Jane Carter Wrap and Roll, then I tried aloe vera gel, flaxseed gel, and a hair gelly , and a creamy leave-in but nothing is working now that the humidity is higher in my area :nono:. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :grin:.

WriterGirl

I made that same mistake when I first started using Curlformers. The tugging is happening either because the section is too big or your hair doesn't have enough slip. For me, I had to put it in smaller sections and then when it was still tugging, I put in more leave-in (I use Garner Fructis Sleek and Shine).

One thing I do is at the first sign of tugging -- STOP. You will rip your hair otherwise.

Okay ladies. I need a little bit of help here from my naturals that are using curlformers. What products are you using to set your hair? Are you doing your set on dry hair or soaking wet hair? Are you using anything to seal your hair? Lately, I've been having issues with my curlformers set swelling/frizzing right after I take them out. They start off looking good then in about an hour its a big poofy mess :lol:. I was using Jane Carter Wrap and Roll, then I tried aloe vera gel, flaxseed gel, and a hair gelly , and a creamy leave-in but nothing is working now that the humidity is higher in my area :nono:. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :grin:.

I'm not fully natural yet (about 70%) but I've noticed when I don't seal with an oil my natural hair poofs up. Of course, I don't have this problem nearly as much in the winter months.

On Saturday, I sealed my natural hair with Dax -- yeah it has mineral oil and is the devil but for me it's the only thing that works. I've also used Babyganics, which is a non-petroleum alternative with good results -- but not as good as the Dax. I went out in my convertible later that day and no poof at all. The poof does come eventually but not until usually day 3 or 4.

winona

[USER=266376 said:
tashboog[/USER];15547767]Okay ladies. I need a little bit of help here from my naturals that are using curlformers. What products are you using to set your hair? Are you doing your set on dry hair or soaking wet hair? Are you using anything to seal your hair? Lately, I've been having issues with my curlformers set swelling/frizzing right after I take them out. They start off looking good then in about an hour its a big poofy mess :lol:. I was using Jane Carter Wrap and Roll, then I tried aloe vera gel, flaxseed gel, and a hair gelly , and a creamy leave-in but nothing is working now that the humidity is higher in my area :nono:. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :grin:.

I agree with WriterGirl sealing is critical otherwise I would have poof regardless of humidity.

I use a leave in for slip (ASIAN Leave In)
Pomade mostly to seal (gives a heavier seal)
Setting Foam ( I like KeraCare but lately I was experimenting with modified TopNotch recipe 3:1:1 3oz water, 1oz lottabody and 1oz wrap foam lotion)

I think I am going to lay off the curl formers until it gets cooler because the humidity here is RIDICULOUS:ohwell: and I like to do more outdoors stuff when it gets warmer.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Thank you ladies for your responses :grin:! I'm just going to go back to my original plan of using curlformers to stretch my natural hair rather than trying to wear it as a style :yep:. That way it won't even matter if it last or not because I'll be transitioning it into a bun or some other protective style especially now that its starting to get hot & humid outside :yep:

ecadnacmc

resulltsmayvary I just twirl the roots tight which makes it easy for the curlformers to go on. I used about 54 total extra long and wide. They're too long but the long and wide are too short. Otherwise, nothing special. The pick I posted are the curls just separated once. I separate more as he week goes on.

WriterGirl

^^^Co-signing. I also do mine on soaking wet hair with lots of condish and then seal with an oil before putting on the curlformers.

When I was fully relaxed though, I would be able to spray water enough to dampen my hair and then do the curlformer set but my transitioning/natural hair is too thick now to do that.