"water will make your hair rot!!!"

Denise11

lol, "Denise-Eleven," you have lost your marbles. You WANT to be offended.

Toodles.

Hit me with your best shot. Since you've come in here trying to protect your rude buddy. There's nothing you can say that would offend me, cause I know you are not playing with a full deck of cards.

I'm not gonna play these highschool games with y'all.

ccd

[FONT=arial, helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Bout two months ago, my hair started falling out. I was in LA at the time, at my best friend's wedding (not the movie), and every time I ran my hand through my hair (as is my wont, flirt that I am: "Ohmygod that's a cute top you're wearing! [toss of the mane, finger comb, wriggle]"), I'd end up with a baby fistful entwined in my fingers. And when I brushed, it was worse - after a few good strokes (ahem) you couldn't even see the bristles for all the blonde. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]At first I thought it was stress. I mean, ten minutes before the ceremony was supposed to begin, I, the maid of honor, was dressed in sweats and unloading ice from the car. Or maybe it was the pollution? But as the fallout persisted, I started thinking it might be a life-wide issue. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]But how depressing would that be if my hair fell out when my life finally took a turn for the better, after all those dues I've been paying? [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]And then I started noticing that my (remaining) hair was giving off this dirty wet sponge smell, even right after the shower when I knew it was clean. Super freaky. I was beginning to get rull tense about the whole thing until I actually took a good look at one of the deserter hair clumps and noticed that it wasn't falling out, it was falling off. The root of the matter wasn't at the roots. My poor hair was just up and breaking off after years of bleach abuse. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Fee-you! I wasn't allergic to happiness, it was just that my hair was breaking up with me. That, and it was, well, rotting. I went to my tres cute hair woman Amy (who also cuts Jill, Heidi, Richard, Laura, and Tom's hair), and she said that since my hair is so thick, and I kept putting it up right after I washed it (blow drying the stuff took over two hours), it was never actually drying. So it started molding. She says it happens to one of her clients that has dreadlocks, and he has to rinse his rotting clumps with Listerine. But since my hair was already way past the mouthwash phase, I just cut off the whole kit and kaboodle. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]And now I'm featuring that same old blonde bob. A personal retro look that brings me right back to senior year in high school. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Just in time for reunion (or, as Megan calls it, rue-union).
[/FONT]

http://www.evany.com/context/hair.html

I guess stranger things can happen

Odd One

woaaahhh is there something PERSONAL going on in this thread...?

cuz if not... some people lost

krikit96

Some of these members always seem to take themselves a little too seriously.

I really hope this thread doesn't get locked down because I really want to hear more about this condition.

I honestly don't think that any wrong intent was meant with any of the comments... just a matter of mis-communication maybe?

I'm just trying to play devil's advocate... ladies let's all just get along, we are all niko's cousins... family shouldn't fight!

Casarela

Hi OP,

I have heard of this for yearsssssssssss , and always asked ``what do you mean by rot??``

Not once did I receive an anwer that refered to a fungus or whatsoever. It always come down to : The hair becomes too elastic because of excessive moisture and you know when hair is overmoisturized and stretches to a point where it breaks easily and the hair is soo weaken because there is a MAJOR lack of protein this is what these old school hair stylists refer to as a rotten hair.

HTH.

Last edited:

Southern Belle

Reason number 345,234,345,678,000,000 that I have STOPPED going to "stylists"... :rolleyes:

I cowash every single day. Yeah, my hair is "rotting" alright..... rotting right on down my back. :grin:

Girl wash your hair if you want to..... :rolleyes:

silenttullip

u gotta remember a good percentage of your body IS water. How is something thats necessary for you to live able to rot your hair? maybe hard water can cause issues or too much washing can dry hair out but water is good for hair everyday if you want

tocktick

Dude, calm down. She wasn't insulting you. But for someone's hair to be breaking off, only having used grease and water, well.....I, too, doubt it'd be the water :perplexed But whatever.
....this can't be life :wallbash:

Seriously. Too bad I couldn't thank you twice.

sheba1

[FONT=arial, helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Bout two months ago, my hair started falling out. I was in LA at the time, at my best friend's wedding (not the movie), and every time I ran my hand through my hair (as is my wont, flirt that I am: "Ohmygod that's a cute top you're wearing! [toss of the mane, finger comb, wriggle]"), I'd end up with a baby fistful entwined in my fingers. And when I brushed, it was worse - after a few good strokes (ahem) you couldn't even see the bristles for all the blonde. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]At first I thought it was stress. I mean, ten minutes before the ceremony was supposed to begin, I, the maid of honor, was dressed in sweats and unloading ice from the car. Or maybe it was the pollution? But as the fallout persisted, I started thinking it might be a life-wide issue. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]But how depressing would that be if my hair fell out when my life finally took a turn for the better, after all those dues I've been paying? [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]And then I started noticing that my (remaining) hair was giving off this dirty wet sponge smell, even right after the shower when I knew it was clean. Super freaky. I was beginning to get rull tense about the whole thing until I actually took a good look at one of the deserter hair clumps and noticed that it wasn't falling out, it was falling off. The root of the matter wasn't at the roots. My poor hair was just up and breaking off after years of bleach abuse. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Fee-you! I wasn't allergic to happiness, it was just that my hair was breaking up with me. That, and it was, well, rotting. I went to my tres cute hair woman Amy (who also cuts Jill, Heidi, Richard, Laura, and Tom's hair), and she said that since my hair is so thick, and I kept putting it up right after I washed it (blow drying the stuff took over two hours), it was never actually drying. So it started molding. She says it happens to one of her clients that has dreadlocks, and he has to rinse his rotting clumps with Listerine. But since my hair was already way past the mouthwash phase, I just cut off the whole kit and kaboodle. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]And now I'm featuring that same old blonde bob. A personal retro look that brings me right back to senior year in high school. [/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Just in time for reunion (or, as Megan calls it, rue-union).
[/FONT]
http://www.evany.com/context/hair.html

I guess stranger things can happen

Really?! And you're absolutely certain it wasn't from the bleaching? If it was from washing and air drying, is that only because your hair is thick?

I seem to remember one young lady washing and wet bunning and leaving her hair in the same bun for a week at a time. She grew her hair to nearly waist length. Come to think of it, Chicoro does something similar with braids that she conditions, seals and then leaves in place. You really think it was the water? Can you think of some of the warning signs that it's happening before it's too late?

SweetSpirit86

Really?! And you're absolutely certain it wasn't from the bleaching? If it was from washing and air drying, is that only because your hair is thick?

I seem to remember one young lady washing and wet bunning and leaving her hair in the same bun for a week at a time. She grew her hair to nearly waist length. Come to think of it, Chicoro does something similar with braids that she conditions, seals and then leaves in place. You really think it was the water? Can you think of some of the warning signs that it's happening before it's too late?

I thought she pulled that from another site...but yeah, wet-bunning and it not drying properly will cause mold. *Says it again* A girl in my flight in Basic training did that for a week and her hair got moldy. But that's only if you haven't taken it down for an entire week and haven't washed it. I think a lot of the ladies who wet bun here take it down during the week and wash their hair. THAT is safe. If you can leave it up and a week and your hair actually dries in the middle, that is also safe.

Either way...it's not really the water that rots your hair. It's poor hair care practices with the use of water, and just plain ol' bacteria.

Fine 4s

I heard this over 15 years ago and it never left me...what the person meant was leaving the water in the hair without properly drying it. For example, wet bunning, sleeping with the bun and wet hair and never 'opening' up the hair lol to dry. So braidouts and airdrying shouldn't be an issue with this line of thinking as the hair is 'open.' I also think they associate a particular smell to 'rotting.' Something like mold can't quite describe. I remember they chopped a lot of hair off of this girl's head because of this 'rotting.'

preciousfa02

:spinning::nono::nono:ok so my intention was not for this thread to go LEFT...but again this is what i was told regarding leaving your hair wet in the case of braidouts or just rocking the "wet Look"...thanks for all of your comments and providing new information to me :grin:

Aggie

Your response made a lot of sense, but....

My mother and aunts used water and grease/mineral oil and petroleum products with water in my hair for years and years. It was always thick and healthy, and it was certainly never clarified. Washed maybe every 2 weeks. We weren't dirty. That's just the way it was. I remember in Victoria Rowling's book she talked about how they lived on a farm and her hair was washed only once a month. In fact, my hair was healthiest/longest when I used dax hair grease daily and washed and styled only every 2 weeks.

I'm just chiming in because I don't think there is anything wrong with grease or water, or a combination of the two. If so, NOBODY would have had hair back in the day; yet people were using grease and most ppl had hair much longer than the average black woman's hair now.

I can see a problem from one's hair never getting a chance to fully dry with wet bunning w/o frequent washing or co-washing.

Thank you for your response Solitude and I'm happy that you and your family had success with these combinations however, I never said my answer was absolute in EVERYONE'S case - afterall, I did end my post with "What are your thoughts?" encouraging others to share their thoughts as well, so I thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are all here to help each other, to get answers to what could or could not be the root to problems with our hair. And just because these combinations did not harm your hair, doesn't mean that wouldn't wreak havoc on another person's hair.

Just a note: Many folks say they never clarified their hair back in the day but if they were using any Suave or v05 shampoos, they were clarifying their hair as these are clarifying poos even though it doesn't say so on the labels. This is not to say that anyone here were or were not actually using them - it is just a note I thought I'd add.

:bighug: to all my hair sisters.

ccd

The story posted is from someone else's blog.....this is not me. So I can't answer any of your valid questions.

The reason I posted was just to give it as an example that many, many many folks have this term in their point of view

I personally have come off of a serious wash and go period so when I saw and read these comments....I had to "google"!!:grin: hence for the story and image:look: ( that would be rotting hair I have to say.....so even as disgusting as it looks; that I believe would be the severity at which someone;s hair would be rotting)