Long Box Braids aka Booty Braids.. Would you rock them?

Beautytalk69

Why is it taking Yall so long to take them out? When I take them out, I cut them a little bit long than my real hair and it may take me six hours. Yall talking about four days! My hands would fall off.

Kerryann

A month. I had build-up around my edges and nape. I wish I could've kept them in longer.

did you wash it because i keep my braids in for month and a half but this time im going for 2 months

girl $250 they would've still been in

Netta1

been there..done that :yep:

Leeda.the.Paladin

I think I'll pass. That's just too much hair (I would say that even if it were my real hair. I have no desire to have that much hair on my person)

silenttullip

Never that... I like styles that look "legit" and kinda sweet to me they make her look kinda old like in the last pic. I also think if it wasn't my own that much hair would be too heavy and a pain to sleep

Stepiphanie

Love it! I'm contemplating trying them very soon. Used to wear box braids in jr. High/ high school, but never that long

hairsothick

Black and Magical
I wore my kinky twists at that length when I was transitioning (I'm sooooooo mad that I didn't take pics lol).

I think I will either get tailbone length box braids a couple of weeks after I take out these minis.

TokyoReina

These are so pretty to me. I've never had braids before but I haven't been able to get these off my mind. I'd really love to get some done. I'm scared they'll cost me a fortune and I won't be comfortable with them though.

kweenameena

I love them. The key for me is using a little hair for each braid and not making the braid itself very tight. Not meaning at the root but the braid itself. I like to have a soft braid (kinda like Brandy's braids) that's flexible instead of a stiff braid.

I loved Yaya's braids in that dancing movie she was in.

brownsugarbaby

Yes!!! I love the way they look. The style possibilities are fun. I've worn them before. i actually want them now as I' doing a personal low mani protective style challenge. But I'm an athlete so they would get in the way and be entirely too heavy for my sport.

I think anyone who wants them should try them :)

MsLizziA

Yes, but it's way too long of a process, and too expensive to get done. Just the fact of the time and money I would spend will compel me to wear them for 4 to 6 mos and I don't like to have braids in my hair that long.

Sassy CO-SIGN!! I wouldn't take them out for awhile either

Platinum

I have and I would do it again.:yep: I loved my booty braids, I had some a few months ago.

Attachments

• SprintPhoto_bhgekn.jpg
    SprintPhoto_bhgekn.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 110
I remember seeing it on Solange and being in Love! A couple of my friends have it done because of her, I'd totally jump on that bandwagon. But alas, my hair could never take the strain!

AuNaturalMaMa

Too much weight for me the one time I got them years ago, unless the hair is lighter now a days I wouldn't get them again. A dude yanked my hair! Ouch! I shut it in the car door! A bun resulted in a crooked sore neck! I went swimming and almost couldn't surface cause of the weight. They are pretty though.

LongLeggedLife

Just a couple tips....only do them smaller around the perimeter..you can make much larger parts, and even start some off with cornrowing in the hidden back sections of your hair if u want to---It will GREATLY decrease the number of braids, as well as the heaviness, and will allow you to wear comfortable ponytails and buns. (they seem to be the same weight as yarn braids to me, I have had both really long...only yarn braids may be a bit hotter in the sumertime, just my opinion)

I disagree with whomever said only use a lil bit of hair per braid...imo, that's how you pull your hair out....you should be using slightly more hair per braid, so your hair can take the weight. I wouldnt suggest doing them loosely either, b/c they wont last long, will get fuzzy real quick, and they will probably look a mess after you try to wash it.

In my experience, the african shops are guilty of putting way too many braids in your head, and also using far too little of your real hair in each braid, you have to go to someone who can follow instructions! I had a haitian girl do mine, and she also only put a lil bit of hair in the braid all around my edges (even after telling her not to, grrrr!). Luckily I can braid myself, so I just took the edges down and re-did it how I wanted it. Something about these foreigners, I swear...they INSIST on doing whatever they want to, and not what you are telling themLOL :shrug:

Washing: I wash mine monthly. Not down the length of the hair tho, it will take forever to dry if you get it all wet. I wash in the sink, and just lay the length of the braids on the counter...and only wash the scalp using the spray attachment thingy. I try to massage the knot of each one while wet to loosen any buildup. In the in between time, I use a dry shampoo just to freshen the scalp maybe every two weeks, or after heavy sweating, and I have a spray bottle of rose water, tea tree oil, and a lil bit of grapeseed oil that I use nightly, which keeps them moisturized and smelling fresh..I find the addition of tea tree knocks out any smoke smell after you have been around cigarettes at a bar or lounge...

Also, this is not a proven theory, but just one I think is true, that the weight of the braids/gravity aids in hair growth. It seems like my hair grows more like an inch a month than the standard 1/2" it normally does when my hair is loose, but again, that is not a fact.

HTH

Oh and lol@ boobs and long hair:p

Last edited:

kbragg

How many bags of hair do you need to do these? Are you using regular kanekelon hair and what length?

Eluv

Well my immediately response is NO. Because everytime I see someone wearing them, I think they look extra ghetto.

Then I scroll down and see these beautiful pics, so now I’m a little confused.

ZkittyKurls

I am soooo down for getting these!! i think i would prefer them during the winter months tho. and i saw the one girl that used yarn instead. ive done yarn braids before and i loved them. yarn braids are the only ones i know how to do well because you only go by the number of strands and it would automatically come out even for each braid. but not with real hair. i would have a whole bunch of thin and thick braids looking crazy.

i digress...yarn is usually lighter than regular hair until you wash them....drying takes forever... but yea i may plan to do them for december.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
Yep, I am putting some in by the end of the month and wearing them through September, until for my 1-year nappiversary on the 11th