Distilled White Vinegar can it be used to clarify my hair?

NOEChic

I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong.
I bought some of this today can it be used as a clarifier and if so what should i mix with it?

Thanks in advance!

silkii_locks

I think baking soda clarifies. Hopefully, the experts will chime in.

You're right adding a small amount of baking soda to your shampoo will clarify, however the vinegar will add lots of slip and shine and it makes the hair easier to detangle.

I pour some in a spray bottle mixed with a little bit of water and spray the hair before I wash. Some people use vinegar as a rinse after the conditioner is rinsed out. But I've never tried it that way. Hope this Helps! :yep:

JustSimplyTish

I use Apple cider vinegar mixed with water as a rinse after I shampoo...then I condition as normal ...But I only shampoo 1-2 times a month

I found this on it....

Add shine, bounce and remove buildup from your hair with a simple apple cider vinegar rinse. Apple cider vinegar is a well-known health food and folk remedy. Acetic acid, the main ingredient, will remove buildup from styling products and conditioners and strengthen the hair shaft, leaving you with soft, glimmering strands. Apple cider vinegar hair rinse will also balance hair's pH level, kill bacteria and is a great cure for dandruff. This rinse in not recommended for color-treated or processed hair, as acetic acid is a clarifier and can strip hair of color. (my hair is color treated but I have never had a problem with color stripping)

I don't know the cons on it..I am sure someone will weigh in...But I have had no problems

lilikoi

White vinegar is a dilution of distilled acetic acid in water. Acetic acid being the "active ingredient" in any vinegar (apple cider, rice, balsamic, etc.). Acetic acid clarifies by dissolving salts/mineral deposits on the hair. So, in theory, any vinegar (properly diluted, since some are more acidic than others) will do (just make sure not to use anything "seasoned").

Here's a possible way to use it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4472155_clarify-hair-vinegar.html

Most people use vinegar to close the cuticle and add shine, though.

Clarify away!

P.S. Apple cider vinegar also contains a bit of citric acid, so that might add to its benefits.

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

I use Apple cider vinegar mixed with water as a rinse after I shampoo...then I condition as normal ...But I only shampoo 1-2 times a month

I found this on it....

Add shine, bounce and remove buildup from your hair with a simple apple cider vinegar rinse. Apple cider vinegar is a well-known health food and folk remedy. Acetic acid, the main ingredient, will remove buildup from styling products and conditioners and strengthen the hair shaft, leaving you with soft, glimmering strands. Apple cider vinegar hair rinse will also balance hair's pH level, kill bacteria and is a great cure for dandruff. This rinse in not recommended for color-treated or processed hair, as acetic acid is a clarifier and can strip hair of color. (my hair is color treated but I have never had a problem with color stripping)

I don't know the cons on it..I am sure someone will weigh in...But I have had no problems

I do the ACV rinse also for clarifying.....I actually had an ACV obsession when I first started using it....I used it once a week....no damage to my hair though....It was perfect right before a DC...opens the hair follicles and penetrated the hair shaft better...I love the stuff!

Vintageglam

^^^ I thought ACV closes the hair cuticles hence why it is used as a final rinse?

Its also great for scalp health.

MonPetite

Yes, you can. AVC helps constrict the cuticle (its made of scales that don't truly open and swing shut quite like a door but they do raise and lower a bit) and White vinegar helps with this as well. AVC just has more internal benefits for you if you take it internally. The smidgen absorbed through your scalp is better, technically, but, that is such a trivial amount. I wrote a review on the only AVC I use internally and topicallyhere and have a tutorial using it as a toner here.