Hair Loss, Anemia and Iron Supplements.......

honeebutta

I read somewhere that a low hemoglobin count (anemia) can cause hair loss or excessive shedding. When I went for blood work last month, the doctor told me that my hemoglobin count was low and recommended that I take an iron supplement. I had major surgery 4 months ago. Unfortunately, iron binds me up, if ya know what I mean.
I saw that someone on the board takes a supplement called Ferrofood. I checked it out online. It sounded like it would work for me and not cause the ummmmmmmm.... discomfort, as well as solve my anemia problem. I'd like to know if anyone has been anemic and experienced excessive shedding. If so, did you take iron supplements, like Ferrofood and did it help with the shedding? Thanks.

keeshesfromindy

With iron supplements, you have to drink plenty of water and eat some fruit. Be sure to always eat when you take them and you should be alright. You will also see a diffrence. Believe me I know, I have been on them for 3 years now. Also eat red meat, or find other things with iron in them. I know that spinach has plenty of iron. You might want to exercise also, this helps when taking iron pills.

L

LaNecia

Spinach is a good source of iron if you plan to eat a lot of it, nutritionally, the way the iron is bound, a lot has to be consumed to maximize the benefit of eating it for iron intake.

L

ladybug

well i am anemic and dont experience shedding i take my iron pill everyday with a glass of orange juice and i am fine...i did have to get a prescribed pill because the over the counter pills..did cause side affects

eating fruit is great like someone esle posted...it helps alot...gl

honeebutta

Thanks Keeshes, I didn't know tha taking iron with fruit would relieve help with THAT problem
but it does make sense. I've been working on increasing my fluid intake too. Good looking out!

honeebutta

LaNecia, I love spinach but it doesn't love me at all!

Girl.........it puts me on serious lockdown for days! Sorry for the graphic detail. But thanks for the response.

honeebutta

Hey ladybug, fellow NYCer, I just may have to get something prescribed if the Feosol or Ferrofood create problems. Thanks.

Jade21

Try Solgar Easy Iron or any of its clones. It's iron bisglycinate, a natural form of iron which will not bind you up in any way. Feosol is really harsh on the system. It's a non-organic form of iron. That's why you can get constipated so easily, plus it is not absorbed nearly as fast as the iron bisglycinate. The iron bisglycinate is also nearly non-toxic if you happen to go overboard. The more anemic you are, the faster the iron is absorbed. When your stores are replenished, the excess is quickly routed out of your system.

Definitely check it out with your physician or friendly pharmacist:)

You can purchase it at any healthfood store. It's also cheaper than that Feosol!

Dark green veggies are an excellent source of iron, too...think lovely salads!

~Jade~

Isis

Thanks for sharing that very interesting info Jade21, I've seen that brand of iron at the health store too - I may check it out and see how my body responds (I too am anemic) compared to my iron.

LisaG

I was anemic too. Lots of shedding and stuff like that. I started taking an iron supplement that is released slowly into the blood stream 3 x a day. I did not get bindy though I think that iron had something in it to make you "make" and also the fact that it was released slowly into the bloodsteam is the key to being comfortable and what an improvement. No more shedding. I also bought a cast iron frying pan I try to use it as much as possible I think that the next thing I'll get is a cast iron stew pot. Instead of lettuce in my salad I use spinach. HTH I asked my doctor if I'm still anemic and he said no. I took the iron for about 2- 3 months 3 x a day. Now I make sure that I take 1 a day 1 week before my period.

honeebutta

[ QUOTE ]
Jade21 said:
Try Solgar Easy Iron or any of its clones. It's iron bisglycinate, a natural form of iron which will not bind you up in any way. Feosol is really harsh on the system. It's a non-organic form of iron. That's why you can get constipated so easily, plus it is not absorbed nearly as fast as the iron bisglycinate. The iron bisglycinate is also nearly non-toxic if you happen to go overboard. The more anemic you are, the faster the iron is absorbed. When your stores are replenished, the excess is quickly routed out of your system.

Definitely check it out with your physician or friendly pharmacist:)

You can purchase it at any healthfood store. It's also cheaper than that Feosol!

Dark green veggies are an excellent source of iron, too...think lovely salads!

~Jade~

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Jade for the info. I guess that I'll be taking the Feosol back to the store for the Solgar Easy Iron. So many wonderful people willing to share info! That's why I have come to love this board.