WAIST LENGTH HAIR Ladies!!! PLEASE Check In!!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
:p I WANT WAIST LENGTH HAIR NOW...but I know it takes patience...;) In the meantime...Give us some TIPS!!! :grin:

What was your starting length for growing your hair? (twa, chin, shoulders, etc.)

How long did it take you to achieve waist length hair from that starting point?

Are you relaxed, texturized, or natural?

What was you regime as you grew your hair out?

What products did you use?

What styles did you wear?

Any other hair growing tips???

Thanks in advance!!!:)

Allandra

Poohbear said:
:p I WANT WAIST LENGTH HAIR NOW...but I know it takes patience...;) In the meantime...Give us some TIPS!!! :grin:

What was your starting length for growing your hair? (twa, chin, shoulders, etc.)

Thanks in advance!!!:)
Girl, American Idol is about to come on. I thought I could come here and answer your question, but since it's a whole lotta questions, I'll give it a shot some time tomorrow. :lol:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Allandra said:
Girl, American Idol is about to come on. I thought I could come here and answer your question, but since it's a whole lotta questions, I'll give it a shot some time tomorrow. :lol:
:lachen: Well, I already know a lot about what did after reading that whole thread "Excuse Me, Allandra" that was started long time ago about you! :grin: Enjoy American Idol!!! ;)

adrienne0914

i still don't think i'm quite at waist length, but it seems i'm as close as i'll ever get.

i started just grazing my shoulders

about 3 years

texturized

i washed my hair once a week (every other week with the braids) and kept it really moisturized. i try to leave it alone as much as possible...

Keracare shampoo and conditioner, curl activator, Vaseline, Elasta QP Recovery (my latest great find). i also experimented occasionally with other stuff, but these are my core products.

for the first 8 months, i wore my hair in braids until i could get it into a ponytail. since then, i've been bunning it with the occasional braid out and straight style

• baby your ends so they don't require much trimming
• find someone that you trust to trim (or trim yourself)
• find the right products and keep the experimenting to a minimum
• avoid measuring (it's too frustrating!)
• document your progress with photos
• just leave your hair alone
• when you find what works, BE CONSISTENT!!

Nay

* A few inches below shoulder level.

* About two years.

* Natural.

* Wash/condition every 5-6 days. Keep heat usage to a minium. I wore my hair up a lot that first year.

*Creme of Nature shampoo for normal hair, Creme of Nature Moisturizing conditioner, and Liv hair creme.

* Up-do's and braidouts/twistouts mostly.

*Just the usual stuff. Minimize heat usage. Detangle hair very carefully while wet. Don't stress about it!

Allandra

Poohbear said:
:lachen: Well, I already know a lot about what did after reading that whole thread "Excuse Me, Allandra" that was started long time ago about you! :grin: Enjoy American Idol!!! ;)
Great. I know I had the answers to those questions some where around here. I'm glad you dug them up. :yep:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
My hair is just above waist length, but my friend told me that I measured my waist too far down and that my hair is already waist length.
So I don't know if I'm qualified yet to answer these questions but my hair WILL be waist length in two months (=2 cm) :D
I can't say when I started growing my hair. It was a twa about 10 years ago LOL. I cut off all my hair and kept my hair short for a few years. After that I have made some attempts to grow my hair long. When I really got focused, about 1,5 years ago, my hair was maybe 3 inches above bra strap length.
See above.
Natural, but I use temporary hair color about 1-2 times a month.
I wash 1-2 times a week, oil the ends every morning and night with olive oil or jojoba oil. Rarely brush, just finger comb most of the time. I deep condition my hair once a week. I wear it up most of the time (like 5 days a week). I trim the ends every 8 weeks - without doing that my hair stops growing instantly. Or what I mean is, the ends break off. No heat, I flat iron about twice a year. I sleep with my hair in a bun or in braids and a silk scarf.
Cheap products from the grocery store. Wella shampoo and conditioner and deep conditioner. Olive oil and jojoba oil. I think the less ingredients, the better.
Mostly a single braid or a bun of some kind.
I believe it's best to be consistent and just keep following a simple regime. There are so many trends that come and go, some people want to believe that it's all in the products. I don't think hair products can grow hair at all. Hair is growing all the time, you have to eliminate everything that keeps your hair from growing. Just keep your hair moisturized and stop everything bad that you are doing to your hair, wear your hair up and it will grow. I think that's it, stop doing whatever you are doing that harms your hair. That was the most difficult realization for me, because I was addicted to hair colors. When I realized I had to stop, I felt a bit sad LOL but my hair wouldn't have grown otherwise. For some people's hair it's okay to relax and color and use heat and all of that. Not for my hair. My hair basically cannot take anything but shampoo and conditioner and the occasional temp hair color (the kind that lasts 6 washes).

Always be gentle with your hair, no matter how pressed for time you are.

Remember that your regime will probably change when your hair gets longer. I can't wear my hair down and curly much anymore, because it tangles too much and that causes breakage plus it's very time consuming. For me it's better to do a simple braid out (with 2 French braids) if I want my hair to be wavy and down. If I'm wearing a braid or my hair is down, I tuck my hair into my jacket or coat or even inside my sweater when I go out to protect it from bus/car seats, wind/rain etc.

That's all I can think of right now.:)

I just edited to add that my hair is now longer than it has ever been in my entire life and I never thought I would be able to grow my hair this long. So if you think your hair can't do it - it can!

Last edited:

Netta1

Flower your hair is really pretty, I love your professional pictures.

Btw: This topic was brought up recently on another popular board and there were a lot of responses from naturals with waist length hair or knew another natural with waist length hair. Its just more proof that hair in its natural state can grow long too.

And whats also interesting is that my hair in its natural state seems to grow quicker then my hair did in its relaxed state....thats just amazing to me!

renee_n_3000

I guess I consider waistlength to be my starting point and everything shorter than that is a 'style'. I was not allowed to have 'real' haircuts as a child, just trims of an inch or two to maintain thick, even ends, so it was always waistlength back then, give or take an inch.

I had my first 'real' haircut without my permission when I was about 14. That was my first encounter with a scissor happy stylist. That cut was a few inches below the shoulders, and I grew to like it, so I began alternating between letting it grow back and getting haircuts from then on. My shortest cut was right above the shoulders when I was in college.

When I get it cut, I always intend to let it grow back, so I never maintain the length by going to salons frequently for serious trims. I used to be in the habit of getting it cut to mid back around May and it would be back close to waistlength by the start of the year (Jan). I've never kept track specifically, so I'm just going by photographs at holidays, parties, etc.

As a child I was natural and pressed for special occasions only.

After that, as an adolescent and through my college years, I was relaxed by hairdressers. They usually combed the relaxer through to the ends each time because I didn't know to tell them not to do that.

Now, I am texturized and have been doing it myself with a relaxer for the past ten years or so. I leave the relaxer on for a short amount of time and do not comb it through -- just smooth it with my hands a couple of times.

I've done just about everything over the years -- blow-drying once a week and using curling irons almost everyday as a teen. That was terrible because it eventually caused split ends. I rollerset and dried under a hooded dryer once a week when I was in college. Up until a few months ago, I was air-drying and using a flat iron once a week.

Now I air-dry, apply a little oil to it, put it up and cover with a scarf overnight. It comes out as smooth and straight as it did with the flat iron. I wish I'd known that sooner.

Not sure what my Mom used when I was a kid but she didn't know anything about conditioners, leave-ins, etc. I think she used those green or blue petroleum-based greases on my hair.

I've used so many things over the years on my own that I can't recall. But now, I am using Motions shampoo and Garnier Fructis conditioner and mask. I've been experimenting with NTM mask but am not sure if I like it.

When my hair is about 75% dry, I spray some Nature's Shine by Organic Root Stimulator on it. It is a light, coconut oil based product. I used to use pure almond oil but have found that I like this better. I just have to be careful not to use too much of it because my hair will feel greasy.

I've worn many different styles over the years, but I mainly wear it down and straight or wavy in the cold months, and sometimes wavy/curly when it's warmer. I like wearing my hair out, up and everything in between. I try to be sure that whatever hair accessories I use are gentle on my hair -- nothing with damaging teeth, and use cut up hose/tights as ponytail holders.

Unless you have a stylist you can Really, Really trust, do everything yourself from trims to chemicals (for those who use them). I never go for a trim at a salon unless I am prepared to lose a few inches of hair. :)

Last edited:

_lovelyness

ChiChiKinks said:
Flowerhair...you and your hair are gorgeous!!!

co signing !! I really love the pic of the bun you wore at the wedding !! it's so beautiful !!
Poohbear. This is a great thread !
Could the ladies also add their hair type if it's not in their siggies ?? thanks alot :)

Jewell

I don't mean to sound crude, but why is it that many of the waist length ladies on this board don't have any pictures? Or if they do have pictures, they aren't current, as in this year. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see progress pics, etc.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Thank you Chichikinks, Netta1 and lovelyness. :)

Jewell, I will update on the weekend of June 3, because I'll straighten my hair for a party I'm going to. I'm lazy and I don't put enough effort in creating beautiful styles so it's no use taking pics. Some ladies here are more or less hair stylists judging from the wonderful styles they are wearing :D

Besides, I'm probably the only person in the Western world that doesn't own a digital camera, LOL. I have to scan all pictures after they are developed and it's a hassle.

Last edited:

bocagirl

Jewell said:
I don't mean to sound crude, but why is it that many of the waist length ladies on this board don't have any pictures? Or if they do have pictures, they aren't current, as in this year. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see progress pics, etc.

I think it's someone's right to decide whether or not they want to post a pic.

Lorraine

Such a good thread! I don't want waist length hair but my new goal is at least four inches below my brastrap. This info is very helpful ladies. Thank you.

Miss*Tress

bocagirl said:
I think it's someone's right to decide whether or not they want to post a pic.
Of course it is and I don't think Jewell was implying the contrary.

It is an inspiration to many of us to actually see black women like ourselves with waist-length hair. Seeing is believing..........that you can reach that point too. :)