Anyone mix conditioner or oils into their relaxer?

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
I don't think it affects the straightness--at least it didn't for me. I just used the oil to buy me some time; I didn't feel rushed when I applied the relaxer.

I'll keep on adding oil to my relaxers.

KhandiB said:
Repeat - Does this affect the straightness of your hair?
If you were attempting straight hair would you recommend it??

blesstress

I also mixed a few tablespoons of olive oil to my relaxer and it came out great. My hair was straight and it felt very nice afterwards. I will be doing this from now on.

Blessedtress

AtlantaJJ

Is anyone doing this method? This sounds very interesting??? Hairstylist especially, is this method being used successfully?

AtlantaJJ

SherryLove said:
hey girl....

i add a teaspoon of this(aphoghee EFA oil) to phytorelaxer as well. i also add a little bit to my leave in and deep conditioners...works like a charm....
I'm putting what ever you are putting into my conditioners...look at that hair would ya!! Can I borrow about 4 inches until I can grow it, then I'll give it back~!!:lol:

isioma85

I was just thinking about this. I plan to buy my relaxer and mix in olive oil before I take it to the salon for my touchup. Glad to see it's worked well for others, gives me more confidence. :)

AtlantaJJ

Steam Conditioning??

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Yep, I do this and I have been doing it for years. Makes your hair come out a lot softer.

I also use the Aphoghee oil mixed in with my conditioner for steaming my hair. I don't use any other oil for these purposes, only the Aphoghee as I find it works a lot better than olive oil for both. :yep:

I just read about hair steaming ealier today. Is this different than sitting under the dryer? I remember they did a conditioning technique with foil and a flat iron a long time ago for conditioning and called it steaming. Is this the technique you are refering to?:confused:

LocksOfLuV

Last time I relaxed I applied the whole ORS replenishing pak to my hair (including the newgrowth) and my hair came out texlaxed like I like it.

Next time I am thinking of adding some protein (Aphogee Keratin spray or Essations Hair Mender) and/or some oil.

AtlantaJJ

sareca said:
Ah ha! I've been waiting to see what oil folks have added to Phyto. It's already so mild I was afraid it wouldn't work at all if I added a oil to it. But I was planning to add 1/4 cup. A couple a teaspoons sounds more reasonable.

Thanks SherryLove!
Give up the goods on your wash and goes Sareca....I was just about to start stalking your album because you look like you've been hanging out in that Miss Jessie's salon paying $400 for those beautiful shinny curls!!!! :)
I'm sure you''ve posted a few times, I'll do a history search. I'm getting kinda good at digging up stuff :lol:

anahnamuslyyours

What's the difference between adding the oil to the relaxer and just pre-treating your hair with EVOO or your oil of choice before getting the relaxer? Since I usually wear cornrows 3-4 weeks port relaxer until whenever I get a touchup, I've always had EVOO on my hair when going to the salon for my relaxer...

AKA-Tude

To Bella and Khandi

There is something about adding the oil to the relaxer that makes your hair feel better, healthier, softer.

It did NOT effect the straightness of the process- my hair turned out straight & soft. It gives you more smoothing time (IMO).

I did this for the 1st time on my last retouch with the ORS relaxer- I will do it this way from now on!

I added coconut and olive oils to the relaxer (~tblsp. each)- FABULOUS!!

I also conditioned b4 neutralizing.

skoloco

So if adding oil to the relaxer (let's say a couple of Tbsp.) buys time for smoothing, how much time--5 min? 10 min? This is all very intriguing!

sheba125

I wonder if I can get good results using Jamaican Black Castor Oil.......I tried EVOO and loved it.

Sistaslick

skoloco said:
So if adding oil to the relaxer (let's say a couple of Tbsp.) buys time for smoothing, how much time--5 min? 10 min? This is all very intriguing!

super late, but I would say it depends on the amount and type of oil you are adding. 1/2 cup of oil will weaken the relaxer more than 2tbsps of the same, and adding a heavier oil like castor oil will weaken it further than carrot oil for instance. I always add 1/4 cup of almond oil to my mild relaxer.

sareca

I add protein to mine, but even that didn't slow it down enough so I might add protein and oil to my next one.

aurora3140

Relaxers open up the cuticles of the hair, hence the reason why conditioners are so effective when mixed in the relaxer. The Nu Expressions relaxer by Bonner Brothers actually encourages this. The directions say that if you want the relaxer to be more mild, add a capful of conditioner. This will knock the strength down a notch (from super to regular, regular to mild, mild to extra mild). I have been using the regular strength formula with a cap and a half of conditioner for years. My hair always gets straight, but not too straight if you catch my drift.;) And it's always soft and silky.

Treasure2k6

I just started added a cap full of Evoo and a tablespoon of Mane In Tail Conditioner to my ORS Relaxer. I loved it! I never go through the smooth down process because I like to keep some texture. I was surprised how silky it got my hair in only 5 minutes.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
When I relaxed my hair last, I used a half relaxer-half cholesterol conditioner mix. It gave me plenty of time to make sure the newgrowth matched the previously texturized hair, without overprocessing.

The Girl

nubianqt86 said:
When I relaxed my hair last, I used a half relaxer-half cholesterol conditioner mix. It gave me plenty of time to make sure the newgrowth matched the previously texturized hair, without overprocessing.
That what I did well not quite half and half but I used cholesterol and my hair was sooooo strong. I didnt loose any hair when I detangled. That is so rare with my hair.

InnerSoul

Yes!!

I mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of sweet almond oil into my ORS olive oil creme relaxer. I think IMO the added oils helps protect the hair strands better and my hair came out very silky and new growth straightened quickly... so I will be doing this(3 tblspns oil added to relaxer creme) from now on!

Last edited:

sareca