Today Is Ash Wednesday

Galadriel

Memento homo quia pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris
Remember, man, that you are dust and into dust you shall return...

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.

Let us reflect on our frailty and mortality, and the utter dependence we have on God Almighty. Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ showed us the Way--he IS the way, and there is no other name by which we are saved. Our bodies may break and will return to dust, but our souls will endure, and upon our individual deaths must give an account to Jesus Christ of our lives.

"And just as each person is destined to die once and after that comes judgment" (Hebrews 9:27)

Reflect on that.

Let us reflect on our own internal failings and sins, imploring God's mercy, and for Christ's saving grace to sanctify us and fortify us against evil. Let us detest our sins and place ourselves under God's correction and care.

Let us reflect on the evil in this world we must confront--hatred, lies, murders, abortion, sexual perversion, gossiping and backbiting, refusing to forgive, and refusing to have faith. We must ask God for the conversion of sinners.

Let us act as God's priesthood and make sacrifices, and pray for God's mercy for this world. Sometimes the battle is hard, sometimes we are weary and ask, "When, O Lord?" Remember that He stays His hand BECAUSE we His people have been praying for mercy and grace. However, one day there will come a time when the time of mercy will have passed, and this wicked world must enter Judgment. So continue working, continue praying, continue watching.

Saint Michael the Archangel has long been honored by the Church as a protector and defender. So I will end with this petition (The St. Michael Prayer):

[FONT=arial,helvetica]“O Glorious Prince of the heavenly host, St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in the battle and in the terrible warfare that we are waging against the principalities and powers, against the rulers of this world of darkness, against the evil spirits. Come to the aid of man, whom Almighty God created immortal, made in His own image and likeness, and redeemed at a great price from the tyranny of Satan.

“Fight this day the battle of the Lord, together with the holy angels, as already thou hast fought the leader of the proud angels, Lucifer, and his apostate host, who were powerless to resist thee, nor was there place for them any longer in Heaven. That cruel, ancient serpent, who is called the devil or Satan who seduces the whole world, was cast into the abyss with his angels. Behold, this primeval enemy and slayer of men has taken courage. Transformed into an angel of light, he wanders about with all the multitude of wicked spirits, invading the earth in order to blot out the name of God and of His Christ, to seize upon, slay and cast into eternal perdition souls destined for the crown of eternal glory. This wicked dragon pours out, as a most impure flood, the venom of his malice on men of depraved mind and corrupt heart, the spirit of lying, of impiety, of blasphemy, and the pestilent breath of impurity, and of every vice and iniquity....

“Arise then, O invincible Prince, bring help against the attacks of the lost spirits to the people of God, and give them the victory...Oh, pray to the God of peace that He may put Satan under our feet, so far conquered that he may no longer be able to hold men in captivity and harm the Church. Offer our prayers in the sight of the Most High, so that they may quickly find mercy in the sight of the Lord; and vanquishing the dragon, the ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, do thou again make him captive in the abyss, that he may no longer seduce the nations. Amen."
[/FONT]

Belle Du Jour

I went to mass this morning. I love Ash Wednesday :yep:

Excerpt of the reading from the book of Joel:
“But now, now – it is the Lord who speaks -
come back to me with all your heart,
fasting, weeping, mourning
.”
Let your hearts be broken, not your garments torn,
turn to the Lord your God again,
for he is all tenderness and compassion,
slow to anger, rich in graciousness,
and ready to relent

Galadriel

fasting, weeping, mourning
.”
and ready to relent

I'm going at noon today :yep:. God is good.

LiftedUp

I've been waiting for a Ash Wednesday/Lent thread!

I'm doing daily devotionals with my youth group at church. I'm using Bible Gateway for lessons.

I also subscribe to Bible Gateway's Lent devotionals and get them in my inbox, http://www.biblegateway.com/lent-devotions (if anyone is interested)

I was so upset this morning! I woke up late. I was thinking about going to a lunchtime service but I've had a headache whole morning.

I hope that you had a wonderful service!!!!!

Wishing everyone a holy lenten period

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Memento homo quia pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris
Remember, man, that you are dust and into dust you shall return...

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.

Let us reflect on our frailty and mortality, and the utter dependence we have on God Almighty. Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ showed us the Way--he IS the way, and there is no other name by which we are saved. Our bodies may break and will return to dust, but our souls will endure, and upon our individual deaths must give an account to Jesus Christ of our lives.

"And just as each person is destined to die once and after that comes judgment" (Hebrews 9:27)

Reflect on that.

Let us reflect on our own internal failings and sins, imploring God's mercy, and for Christ's saving grace to sanctify us and fortify us against evil. Let us detest our sins and place ourselves under God's correction and care.

Let us reflect on the evil in this world we must confront--hatred, lies, murders, abortion, sexual perversion, gossiping and backbiting, refusing to forgive, and refusing to have faith. We must ask God for the conversion of sinners.

Let us act as God's priesthood and make sacrifices, and pray for God's mercy for this world. Sometimes the battle is hard, sometimes we are weary and ask, "When, O Lord?" Remember that He stays His hand BECAUSE we His people have been praying for mercy and grace. However, one day there will come a time when the time of mercy will have passed, and this wicked world must enter Judgment. So continue working, continue praying, continue watching.

Saint Michael the Archangel has long been honored by the Church as a protector and defender. So I will end with this petition (The St. Michael Prayer):

[FONT=arial,helvetica]“O Glorious Prince of the heavenly host, St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in the battle and in the terrible warfare that we are waging against the principalities and powers, against the rulers of this world of darkness, against the evil spirits. Come to the aid of man, whom Almighty God created immortal, made in His own image and likeness, and redeemed at a great price from the tyranny of Satan.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica]“Fight this day the battle of the Lord, together with the holy angels, as already thou hast fought the leader of the proud angels, Lucifer, and his apostate host, who were powerless to resist thee, nor was there place for them any longer in Heaven. That cruel, ancient serpent, who is called the devil or Satan who seduces the whole world, was cast into the abyss with his angels. Behold, this primeval enemy and slayer of men has taken courage. Transformed into an angel of light, he wanders about with all the multitude of wicked spirits, invading the earth in order to blot out the name of God and of His Christ, to seize upon, slay and cast into eternal perdition souls destined for the crown of eternal glory. This wicked dragon pours out, as a most impure flood, the venom of his malice on men of depraved mind and corrupt heart, the spirit of lying, of impiety, of blasphemy, and the pestilent breath of impurity, and of every vice and iniquity....[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica]“Arise then, O invincible Prince, bring help against the attacks of the lost spirits to the people of God, and give them the victory...Oh, pray to the God of peace that He may put Satan under our feet, so far conquered that he may no longer be able to hold men in captivity and harm the Church. Offer our prayers in the sight of the Most High, so that they may quickly find mercy in the sight of the Lord; and vanquishing the dragon, the ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, do thou again make him captive in the abyss, that he may no longer seduce the nations. Amen." [/FONT]

fasting, weeping, mourning.”
and ready to relent.

@Galadriel, @Belle Du Jour, @JaneBond007 @ktykaty

Wishing each of you a wonderful and peaceful Lenten Season. I wish each of you a wonderful and blessed closeness with the Lord, during this time of Holy Reflection.

Each of you are my Precious Sisters in Christ Jesus our Lord and I appreciate and love each of you. :love2:

Love,
Shimmie

Galadriel

I was so upset this morning! I woke up late. I was thinking about going to a lunchtime service but I've had a headache whole morning.

I hope you're able to make it, and good luck with your youth group! :yep:

Wish me well, I'm going to brave the noon-time service with my 3 year-old, 2 year-old, and 2 month old). My two eldest are in school right now.

Shimmie

Staff member
I've been waiting for a Ash Wednesday/Lent thread!

I'm doing daily devotionals with my youth group at church. I'm using Bible Gateway for lessons.

I also subscribe to Bible Gateway's Lent devotionals and get them in my inbox, http://www.biblegateway.com/lent-devotions (if anyone is interested)

I hope that you had a wonderful service!!!!!

Wishing everyone a holy lenten period

Lenten Blessings to you LiftedUp :grouphug2:

Galadriel

@Galadriel, @Belle Du Jour, @JaneBond007 @ktykaty

Wishing each of you a wonderful and peaceful Lenten Season. I wish each of you a wonderful and blessed closeness with the Lord, during this time of Holy Reflection.

Each of you are my Precious Sisters in Christ Jesus our Lord and I appreciate and love each of you. :love2:

Love,
Shimmie

Thank you, Shimmie, may God bless you. Please keep us in your prayers, and I'll keep you in mine as well, with much love and heart-felt good will :yep:.

Shimmie

Staff member
Thank you, @Shimmie, may God bless you. Please keep us in your prayers, and I'll keep you in mine as well, with much love and heart-felt good will :yep:.

Always, Galadriel, Always. You give our Faith a 'good name'. :yep:

Thank you for praying for me as well. :giveheart:

PinkPebbles

Ladies thank you for this thread. I've been so busy with work that Ash Wed. almost slipped my mind. My church (Methodist) is having a Lenten service tonight. Look forward to the word!

Shimmie

Staff member

Shimmie

Staff member
I hope you're able to make it, and good luck with your youth group! :yep:

Wish me well, I'm going to brave the noon-time service with my 3 year-old, 2 year-old, and 2 month old). My two eldest are in school right now.

God's Blessings on your precious children. They will be very peaceful in the presence and prayers of God as you worship. :love3:

Jesus said, 'Bring the little children unto me'... :grouphug2:

Galadriel

God's Blessings on your precious children. They will be very peaceful in the presence and prayers of God as you worship. :love3:

Jesus said, 'Bring the little children unto me'... :grouphug2:

Aww, thanks, Shimmie :grin:

My infant was asleep the whole time, and the other two actually sat (well, at least for most of it :lol:). SCORE!!!!

Shimmie

Staff member
Aww, thanks, @Shimmie :grin:

My infant was asleep the whole time, and the other two actually sat (well, at least for most of it :lol:). SCORE!!!!

Amen... Precious Galadriel. Congratulations on your new infant. I'm happy for you. Boy or Girl? Your children have a wonderful and beautiful Mommie who truly loves the Lord. Your Light glows from the inside / out and it warms even the coldest seasons.

God bless you and your darling family. :love3:

:bighug:

Galadriel

Amen... Precious @Galadriel. Congratulations on your new infant. I'm happy for you. Boy or Girl? Your children have a wonderful and beautiful Mommie who truly loves the Lord. Your Light glows from the inside / out and it warms even the coldest seasons.

God bless you and your darling family. :love3:

:bighug:

Thank you Shimmie :kiss:

My girl is the eldest and the rest are boys. They complain that she's too bossy :lachen: