After a 4 month stretch........

Eisani

I relax, on average, every 3.5 to 4 months and I have never lost any hair.

Is it possible that while stretching, you didnt comb/brush out all of the shed hair, and that the hair "loss" you saw was actually shed hair from the 4 month stretch?

I agree w/all who have this sentiment...I texlax every 4-6 months and never have a problem losing massive amounts of hair. One thing I think is extremely important to do a 3-4 days before relaxing/texlaxing is to make sure you go thru your hair and detangle COMPLETELY and make sure you have no shed hairs hanging on to your other strands. Tangles + shed hair + relaxer = disaster. Also while stretching, DC's and CW's (if your hair likes them) should be your #1 and #2 ace boon coons. For me, moisture is key, but for others it's protein. Either way, I just hope you find what works best for you because while it's certainly true that everything ain't for everybody, stretching should not cause massive hair loss if done properly.

*Frisky*

.......I've decided never to do it again. I had my hair relaxed by a professional, using the same relaxer I've used for a while now and my hair fell out. The stylist blamed it on my stretch. She litterly pulled out three huge clumps of hair. My hair is already thin as it is. I usually relax somewhere between every 2 to 3 months with no problem. It took all I had not to break out in tears. Note to self, "stretching is not for me." Back to the drawing board. It seems like I can't get this hair loss to stop, no matter what I try. My next step will be to shave my head and go natural. Thanks Ladies, for allowing me to vent.

Are you sure there isn't something else going on? Like maybe some type of medical condition that you are unaware of?

Tamrin

unapologetic
im sorry that happened to you. I hope your hair recovers really soon. I have questions though. You may have gotten burned or she could also have left the relaxer on a little too long. Just my thoughts. my last stretch was 6 months. I had no breakage, but I made sure I kept the line of demarkation between relaxed and NG heavy moisturized. If you ever try to stretch again you may also want to do braids or twists. Good luck. It will grow back soon. HHG

Last edited:

ACEA

You ladies, are the best. I feel relieved to know that I'm not the only one who thinks the stylist excuse was ridiculous. The more I think about the entire situation, I realize going natural is best for me. I'm looking foward to BCing this summer once I get some growth.

Was this before or after she relaxed your hair?

While she was rinsing the relaxer out.

ACEA

I agree w/all who have this sentiment...I texlax every 4-6 months and never have a problem losing massive amounts of hair. One thing I think is extremely important to do a 3-4 days before relaxing/texlaxing is to make sure you go thru your hair and detangle COMPLETELY and make sure you have no shed hairs hanging on to your other strands. Tangles + shed hair + relaxer = disaster. Also while stretching, DC's and CW's (if your hair likes them) should be your #1 and #2 ace boon coons. For me, moisture is key, but for others it's protein. Either way, I just hope you find what works best for you because while it's certainly true that everything ain't for everybody, stretching should not cause massive hair loss if done properly.

This is great advice, I'll take your points into consideration. I didn't know all that.

ACEA

Are you sure there isn't something else going on? Like maybe some type of medical condition that you are unaware of?

Well, I have PCOS (polycystic ovarion syndrome) and thinning hair is a characteristic. However, I have never experienced massive shedding like this.

ACEA

im sorry that happened to you. I hope your hair recovers really soon. I have questions though. You may have gotten burned or she could also have left the relaxer on a little too long. Just my thoughts. my last stretch was 6 months. I had no breakage, but I made sure I kept the line of demarkatio between relaxed and NG heavy moisturized. If you ever try to stretch again you may also want to do braids or twists. Good luck. It will grow back soon. HHG

You are so right! I did burn quite a bit. She didn't leave it in a long time. However, my scalp is extremly sensitive and it felt like an eternity.

luckiestdestiny

You may need to transition from a relaxer to natural. Some people can't stretch. It can be more than one thing: your hair grows too fast and your hair can't handle the line of demarcation (curly, vs. straight), or maybe it's the stylist. Either way, I am a fan of being natural as you don't have to worry if someone is doing something wrong. I just cut mine off in a buzz cut and now its below bsl. You could also transition like my cuz who cut off a little at a time for a few years before going completely natural. You'll need protective styles, weaves, etc especially if your hair doesn't stretch well. It's because of that line of demarcation. You don't need pressure on that!

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

Also check for a thyroid condition. I have one and it caused me to lose my hair (in handfuls), and also major shedding. Also once in check, it was still really dry, which is why I said bye bye to relaxers and hello to more hair. Hope this helps. There are conditions like Graves Disease , and Hashimotos, among others which can do serious damage when left unchecked and cost major hair loss.

Last edited:

ellebelle88

I really don't think stretching is for everyone. At least, I know its not for me. My hair does not take well to most relaxers, but stretching between relaxers really does wreak havoc on my hair. It causes me to have MAJOR breakage issues, dry and limp hair. I don't know why it is on my hair, but relaxers restore my hair back to "normal" although I know that relaxers are harmful chemicals that are doing even more damage to my hair by stripping my hair of its natural patterns.

I think for me, the best bet would be to either go natural or risk becoming entirely dependent on them.

cecilie

I' m so sorry for you I strech 2 times the first time six month and the last time 8 months and I don't have breakage when I relaxed maybe it was your relaxer and not the streching ?
Good luck and try low manip and good moisturising .

NYRICAN1

.......I've decided never to do it again. I had my hair relaxed by a professional, using the same relaxer I've used for a while now and my hair fell out. The stylist blamed it on my stretch. She litterly pulled out three huge clumps of hair. My hair is already thin as it is. I usually relax somewhere between every 2 to 3 months with no problem. It took all I had not to break out in tears. Note to self, "stretching is not for me." Back to the drawing board. It seems like I can't get this hair loss to stop, no matter what I try. My next step will be to shave my head and go natural. Thanks Ladies, for allowing me to vent.

Something similar happened to me. I stretched for 17 weeks my hair did grow but I did experience breakage and my stylist is very careful with my hair because I have 4a fine hair. She hates when I stretch past 6-7 weeks because she says since my hair is so fine it tends to break easily. I did cowashes every other day and I also did the henna treatments. (which I will definitely keep up , but I will consider relaxing now bet 8-10 weeks at the most. I just came out of a 11 1/2 week stretch and I am happy with the results so 8-10 will be my timeline for me:yep: