AMAZING FACT: DEVOTION

blazingthru

Spreading the Good News

AN AMAZING FACT: Did you know there is a Peanut Butter of the Month Club? You can gift a friend with 12 “limited-production, specialty-flavored peanut butters from boutique peanut butter producers nationwide.” Who knew there was such a thing as a “boutique peanut butter?” For the price of $215, you can spend the whole year telling your friends that you’re really into raspberry white chocolate peanut butter, cinnamon currant peanut butter, or …
God has gifted each of us with abilities and talents that can be used for building His kingdom. In daily life we come into contact with many different people, each with their own set of “flavors” as different as the assortment of peanut butter. Physical attributes vary: height, weight, strength, hair color, color of the skin—not one person is exactly the same.

Some individuals are well read and can converse intellectually on many subjects. Some are not and cannot. Attitudes differ—one is positive, the other negative. There might be similar or opposing views on almost any subject. Some don’t hesitate to verbalize, while others are silent.

But woven into each life is a common thread: “You are the body of Christ, and members individually. There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all … distributing to each one individually as He wills (1 Corinthians 12: 27, 4–6, 11). Have you discovered your gifts? It’s exciting to know that every one of them can be used for Jesus.

He said, “He who is not with me is against me, and he who does not gather with me, scatters” (Luke 11:23). What an awesome opportunity we have to be a gatherer with Jesus. What a tremendous blessing to have a part in the salvation of others. He is calling you. Answer quickly, “Here am I, send me.”
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.
- 2 Timothy 1:6

blazingthru

Big Castles

AN AMAZING FACT: The Prague Castle is the biggest castle in the world, measuring 1,870 feet in length and 426 feet in width. It has been home to kings of Bohemia, Holy Roman Emperors, and presidents of the Czechoslovakia and Czech Republic since about the 9th century. It could house 87 White Houses or six Buckingham Palaces.
Castles were basically European inventions of the 9th century. Nobles built castles to control territories, and castles were both defensive and offensive in nature. They were bases of military from which raids could be launched but also provided protection from enemies. Common in the medieval period, castles were used for a variety of purposes, including military, administration, and domestic. The advent of the cannon seemed to diminish castles use as military bases. So instead, they became places to exhibit wealth and impress others. The Prague Castle houses several churches, monasteries, homes, gardens, palaces, and defense towers. Today there are several museums, art collections, and exhibitions on display.

Castles are often, but not always, fortresses. They were originally built to protect people inside. Moats surrounded castles, and drawbridges pulled up made it more difficult for the enemy to penetrate. Arrow slits (or loopholes) were openings that provided archers places to fire on attackers. Other common features were baileys (fortified enclosures), the keep (a central fortified tower), curtain walls (defensive walls surrounding a bailey), and gatehouse (to control entry).

God has been spoken of in the Bible as a fortress. David wrote, “Blessed be the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle—my lovingkindness and my fortress, my high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the One in whom I take refuge, who subdues my people under me” (Psalm 144:1, 2). David found strength from the Lord to do battle, as well as protection (“refuge”) in God. So we may turn to our mighty heavenly Father for help in times of trial as well as safety from our enemy.

Turn to Jesus as your true source of power and protection. Our God is like a mighty fortress in which we can find shelter from the storms of life.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
- Psalms 91:2

blazingthru

The Inward Part
AN AMAZING FACT: In a recent poll, many Americans showed extreme greed in response to the question: “What would you do for 10 million dollars?” About 25 percent would abandon their family or their church, 16 percent would walk away from their marriage, and 13 percent would allow their children to be put up for adoption.
The Pharisees were quick to criticize Jesus and His disciples for not observing their man-made rules. One of the points of disagreement was ceremonial washing. The Pharisees were ready to condemn people who disregarded their washing traditions; they thought it was a terrible sin.

Jesus responded, “Now you Pharisees make the outside of the cup and dish clean, but your inward part is full of greed and wickedness” (Luke 11:39).

Appearance was everything to the Pharisees. As long as they “looked good” they were pleased with themselves. But Jesus pointed out that what is inside a person is the most important thing. The Pharisees, who made such a show of washing in a particular way, had neglected to clean their hearts. Jesus saw right through them, as He always does. He saw the greed and sin, and He knew what they really needed: generous, giving hearts.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And as he spake, a certain Pharisee besought him to dine with him: and he went in, and sat down to meat. And when the Pharisee saw it, he marvelled that he had not first washed before dinner. And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness. Ye fools, did not he that made that which is without make that which is within also? But rather give alms of such things as ye have; and, behold, all things are clean unto you.
- Luke 11:37-41

blazingthru

Food for All

AN AMAZING FACT: Bees are very social insects, and mutual feeding seems to be the order of their existence. The workers feed the helpless queen, who cannot feed herself. They feed the drones and, of course, they feed the young. They seem to actually enjoy this social act. One bee always seems ready to feed another bee, even if that bee is from a different colony.
The bee has been aptly described as busy. To produce one tablespoon of honey for our toast, the little bee makes 4,200 trips to flowers. A worker bee will fly as far as eight miles in search of nectar. He makes about 10 trips a day to the fields, each trip lasting 20 minutes and covering 400 flowers. To produce just one pound of clover honey, the bee must visit 56,000 clover heads. Since each head has 60 flower tubes, a total of 3,360,000 visits are necessary. In the end, that worker bee will have flown the equivalent of three times around the world. And they never sleep!

The impact of the honeybee on your food goes beyond honey. This little wonder of God’s creation is responsible for 80 percent of all insect pollination; if it didn’t do its job it would significantly decrease the yield of fruits and vegetables.

Psalm 145 is a song of praise to the Creator. “Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and His greatness is unsearchable” (Psalm 145:3). As we look at the amazing honeybee, we can join David in saying, “I will meditate on the glorious splendor of Your majesty, and on Your wondrous works” (v. 5). When we consider the immense number of flowers it takes to make one pound of honey, it seems an impossibility, yet the Bible says, “The eyes of all look expectantly to You, and You give them their food in due season. You open Your hand and satisfy the desire of every living thing” (v. 15, 16).

Thank God for the honeybee!
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Give us day by day our daily bread.
- Luke 11:3

blazingthru

Our God of Detail

AN AMAZING FACT: Hair is one of the fastest-growing tissues in the body, second only to bone marrow. In fact, the average adult scalp grows more than 100 feet of hair per day!
Though this fact seems incredible, consider that the average adult scalp has 100,000 hairs. That means that each hair only needs to grow about a third of a millimeter per day to reach a total of over 100 feet. The average life of a hair is four to seven years. Each time a hair falls out, a new one usually grows in its place. This can happen up to 20 times for each hair follicle.

Another interesting fact is that redheads have an average of only 80,000 hairs, while black- and brown-haired persons average 100,000. Blondes top the list at 120,000. Though you might feel alarmed after brushing to see your brush full of hair, it is doubtful that the average 100 hairs that you lose per day would make any visible difference. In fact, a person must lose over 50 percent of his hair to have any noticeable difference in his appearance.

At times we might feel that God is distant or takes little notice of the affairs of our lives. But this is a lie from the enemy. Our loving heavenly Father knows all about us. We are told that He not only “knows our frame” (Psalm 103:14), but He has numbered the very hairs of our head (Luke 12:7). Not only does He know and understand the big picture—what makes us who we are, but He is fully aware of the little details of our lives. By telling us that He knows the number of hairs we have, He is letting us know that He is also aware of the bigger, more difficult details of our lives. When we are tempted to feel alone or unimportant, let’s remember that God loves us with an everlasting love (Jeremiah 31:3), and is just waiting for us to experience the joy of total dependence upon Him.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
- Matthew 6:8

blazingthru

The Deceiver

AN AMAZING FACT: The Australian lyrebird is a copycat (or shall we say “copy bird”?). It is best known for its superb ability to mimic the sounds of other birds in the forest. It has also been heard to copy the sounds of chainsaws, car alarms, barking dogs, crying babies, and even camera shutter clicks.
In the 1930s, a Mrs. Wilkinson befriended a lyrebird in her back yard (“James”) by feeding him scraps. The bird bonded with her and would often perform long courtship dances accompanied by the calls of a dozen or more birds whenever she was around. Included in his repertoire were the sounds of automobile horns honking, a nearby rock crushing machine, and the sound of a hydraulic ram.

How can the lyrebird make such an incredible array of sounds? Its secret is in a very complex syrinx (vocal organ), the most complex of all song birds, giving it an extraordinary ability to copy the sounds of other birds and noises. A researcher once recorded flute-like sounds of a lyrebird near the New England National Park, as did a park ranger in New South Wales. After doing some research they discovered that a flute player living near the park used to play his flute for his lyrebird. This happened about 40 years earlier!

The Bible warns us of a deceiver who will appear to be what he is not. “Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God” (2 Thessalonians 2:3, 4). But he is not God.

The apostle Paul warns us this deceiver seems like the real thing. “The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders” (v. 9). He might sound “just like the real thing,” but we are told not to be led astray. Study the call of the True Master. You will recognize His voice.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
- Ephesians 5:6

blazingthru

Real Wealth
AN AMAZING FACT: In the year 1800, about 90 percent of Americans were farmers. By 1900, that number dropped to a little over 40 percent. Currently, only about two percent of Americans are farmers.
The rich farmer in Jesus’ parable was apparently neither satisfied with nor thankful for the riches he had. He wanted more. He displayed no concern for others. He was self-absorbed and coveted a life of luxury and ease. Most tragic of all, he showed no interest in God who had blessed him with so much.

Jesus said, “One’s life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.” There is no future in a covetous life. Any treasures that a covetous person manages to accumulate might give him a false sense of security, an illusion of invincibility. But riches can’t protect him from disaster, they can’t save his life, and they can’t give him lasting joy or an eternal future.

Real wealth isn’t found apart from God. The spiritual life is what matters most. Only God can give us the eternal treasure of life with Him in His kingdom of love.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
- Luke 12:15-21

blazingthru

Count the Stars
AN AMAZING FACT: Looking up at the clear night sky, you can see about as much of the universe as a single-cell amoeba might see of the ocean in which it swims. The moon, the planets, and the few thousand stars that are visible to us are merely a single drop of water in the boundless sea of the universe. The distance from our galaxy to the next nearest one is almost one-and-a-half million light years. And the known universe is believed to be about 10 to 12 billion light-years long.
The disc-shaped galaxy to which our sun belongs is called the Milky Way, which is a family of 200 to 400 billion stars and 50 billion planets. Each planet is a separate island in space, and about 500 million are estimated to be in the habitable zone of their parent star. But then, there could be as many as 200 (some say 500) billion galaxies in the universe, and each of which could have as many or more stars as the Milky Way. Multiply those two numbers together and you’ll see that there could be as many as 2 x 1023 stars in the observable universe. That’s 200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

With so many stars out there, it’s amazing to consider the vast distances involved. The closest star to Earth is Proxima Centauri, located 4.2 light years away. In other words, it takes light itself more than four years to complete the journey from the star to the Earth. If you hitched a ride on the fastest spacecraft ever launched from Earth, it would still take you more than 70,000 years to get there from here. Traveling between the stars just isn’t feasible right now. But someday, in heaven, it will be!

When David sings praises to God, he writes, “He counts the number of the stars; He calls them all by name. Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite” (Psalm 147:4, 5). Truly, as we behold the wonder of the stars on a dark night, we will join the psalmist in giving praise to our awesome Creator.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
- Psalms 19:1

blazingthru

One Big Mess

AN AMAZING FACT: The Deepwater Horizon oil spill (also known as the BP oil spill) is the largest accidental marine oil spill in the history of the petroleum industry. It flowed for three months in 2010 before being capped on July 15, 2010. It released about 4.9 million barrels of crude oil.
The Deepwater Horizon oil spill created a big mess. Wildlife and marine life were destroyed. Hundreds of miles of shoreline were contaminated. The fishing industry was shut down. Today, tar balls continue to show up in fishermen’s nets. Oil sheens are still observed in many places. By July 2011 about 490 miles of coastline in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida are still contaminated.

Who is responsible for the mess? The U.S. Government is holding British Petroleum (BP) accountable for all clean-up costs and damage. In June 2010, BP set up a $20 billion fund to compensate those hurt by the spill. Over one million claims have been submitted, and thousands still come in each week.

Hezekiah also had a big mess to clean up. “In the first year of his reign, in the first month, he opened the doors of the house of the Lord and repaired them” (2 Chronicles 29:3). Then he said to the Levites, “Now sanctify yourselves, sanctify the house of the Lord God of your fathers, and carry out the rubbish from the holy place. For our fathers have trespassed and done evil in the eyes of the Lord” (vs. 5, 6). From the start of his reign, Hezekiah tackled what was most important—caring for the house of the Lord.

Our own lives are a mess. Without Jesus, the temples of our hearts are filled with rubbish. Like Hezekiah, we have a big mess to clean up. Billions of dollars won’t do the job. We don’t need skimmers or disbursement chemicals. The sacred work of heart cleansing comes only through a broken spirit that allows the Holy Spirit to come inside and clean house. Why not invite the Spirit to come in and start cleaning your heart today?
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
- Psalms 139:23

And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
- Psalms 139:24

blazingthru

Run Swiftly
AN AMAZING FACT: The 100-meter dash is one of the most popular running sports at the Olympics. It is also the shortest. The reigning 100m Olympic champion is thought of as the fastest man or woman in the world.
Historically, the 10-second barrier has been a measurement of men’s performances, while the best female sprinters take eleven seconds or less to complete the race. Currently, the men’s world record is 9.58 seconds, set by Jamaica’s Usain Bolt, while American Florence Griffith-Joyner holds the women’s world record of 10.49 seconds. Of the top-12 fastest runners in the world among men, four are from Jamaica, five from the United States, two from Canada, and one from Nigeria. The fastest foot speed recorded is 27.79 miles per hour during a 100-meter sprint by Usain Bolt.

There are many different types of “runs,” such as track running, road running, or cross-country running. Distances are clustered by the terms sprint, middle distance, and long distance. A marathon is 26 miles and 385 yards. The event began in commemoration of the fabled run of the Greek soldier Pheidippides, a messenger from the battle of Marathon to Athens. The current marathon record holder is Haile Gebrselassie from Ethiopia, who broke the record in September 2008 in Berlin by clocking in at 2 hours, 3 minutes, and 59 seconds.

The apostle Paul was a man on the move for Jesus. He once wrote, “Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you, and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith” (2 Thessalonians 3:1, 2). Sometimes Paul literally ran out of town when he was chased away. But his goal was not to lift up himself, but to glorify God.

How does the Word of God run swiftly? Through people like you and me who are determined to share Christ with others. Today, put on your running shoes and help spread the good news about Jesus.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
- Hebrews 12:1

blazingthru

Watching and Ready

AN AMAZING FACT: Most biblical lamps were made of clay pottery and were oval-shaped or round and were squeezed on one end to form a channel for the wick, which was normally made from flax. Oil lamps were often engraved with symbols. The most commonly used fuel was olive oil, although nut oil, fish oil, and other types of oil were sometimes used.
Jesus advised His disciples to keep their lamps burning, to keep the light shining. This light represents the presence of the Light of the world. We need the continuous presence of Jesus, through His Holy Spirit, in order to share the gospel message with others and to prepare us for His return.

Jesus promises a great blessing to those who consistently watch for their Master. “Assuredly, I say to you that he will gird himself and have them sit down to eat, and will come and serve them.” They will be welcomed into heaven with a feast of celebration. Can you imagine being served a special dinner by the Lord of the universe?

Though it might be tempting to sleep in the darkness, we need to stay sharp, focused, and ready for Christ’s return. After all, He is “coming at an hour you do not expect” (Luke 12:40). Spending time with Him in regular Bible study and prayer will keep your lamp burning bright.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning; And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.

- Luke 12:35-37

Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not.
- Luke 12:40

blazingthru

Singing New Songs

AN AMAZING FACT: Zebra finches are teaching scientists about how humans learn to sing. Like human babies, new finches start out babbling. Through trial and error they eventually learn the rhythms and syllables of their parents’ vocalizations. Almost all animals make sounds instinctively. A cat raised by a dog will still meow. A deaf dog will still bark. But some animals must learn to sing.
Some animals must learn their vocalizations. These include bats, whales, and three types of birds (parrots, hummingbirds, and songbirds). Zebra finches songs are easy to study because they are short and simple and do not change. When a zebra finch is hatched, it has about 4 to 12 weeks during a “sensitive” period in which to learn “Dad’s” song (only the males sing). It listens to the song and then babbles. After awhile it begins to piece together parts of the song correctly but still has errors. Eventually, it will sing the song perfectly and will never change its tune.

But if a zebra finch is raised by a bird from a different species (cross fostering), it will learn a new song, though it will have an “accent” similar to its own species. There is some genetic influence, but experience shapes the wiring of the brain. The finch can learn to sing a new song. Of course, the younger you are, the easier it is for your brain to re-wire itself.

Our heavenly Father has songs to teach us. Our personal experiences with God provide a rich new repertoire of music that we can use to praise the Lord. David writes, “Sing to the Lord a new song, and His praise in the assembly of saints. Let Israel rejoice in their Maker; let the children of Zion be joyful in their King” (Psalm 149:1, 2).

Someday we will stand on the sea of glass and sing praises to Jesus. Let us practice singing those new songs on this Earth so we will be ready to lift our voices in praise in heaven.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
- Revelation 5:9

blazingthru

The Renewing Fire

AN AMAZING FACT: Some plants have leaves naturally coated in flammable oils in order to encourage fast, intense fires. Not by accident, these plants have heat-activated seeds that require fire or intense heat in order to open and germinate.

This fact reveals the useful purpose that fire is intended to play in nature. But it has not always been viewed this way. Prior to 1910, forest fires burned as much as 50 million acres annually in the United States. As awareness and interest in national parks increased, lawmakers established rules and funding to protect these national treasures from this perceived threat. A law enacted in 1908 permitted deficit spending in the case of emergency fire situations. As a result, in 1910 the Forest Service acquired a $1 million deficit due to emergency fire suppression efforts. Public education campaigns, such as Smokey the Bear, trained the general public to perceive all wildfire as a threat to civilized society and natural resources.

Beginning in the 1970s however, perception of fire management began to shift. In spite of increased funding, massive wildfires continued to be prevalent across North America. It was discovered that, in actuality, suppression of fire in certain ecosystems not only increases the likelihood of a wildfire, but also increases the intensity of those wildfires. Allowing the natural cycle of fire kept the underbrush clean, thus making for shorter, less intense fires, which in turn allowed the bigger trees to survive.

Jesus said, “I am come to send fire on the earth” (Luke 12:49). Though unpleasant, fire is important. As seen in nature, it is necessary for purification and regeneration. The same is true in our lives. Instead of perceiving our trials as a threat, let’s view them as messengers of God to either remove the dross from our life or, by our patience in suffering, to display His faithfulness to others.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
- 1 Peter 4:12

But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
- 1 Peter 4:13

Last edited:

blazingthru

God’s Signature

AN AMAZING FACT: Forrest R. Smith III, 48, of Exeter, Pennsylvania, was sentenced to 33 months in prison and to pay $120,000 in restitution after getting busted for forging author signatures in books by Truman Capote, Michael Crichton, Tom Clancy, Kurt Vonnengut, and Anne Rice and then selling them on eBay.
Smith had obtained documents containing authentic signatures of each author and had ink-based stamps made for the signatures. Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark Dubnoff said someone in the book-selling field initially uncovered Smith’s scheme and alerted authorities. Another bookseller noticed that someone was buying up first-edition books and a short time later those same books were being put up for sale—but as signed copies of a book whose author was dead.

Signatures serve many purposes. One is to identify a document. Another is to indicate the purpose of a document. That’s why a signature is often located at the end. Signatures of famous people are often called autographs and tend to be artistic in nature and are usually given as souvenirs.

What are some of the most valuable signatures in the world? Try purchasing one of only five known copies of William Shakespeare’s signature and you will pay about $5 million. In 1991 someone purchased Abraham Lincoln’s signature that defended the Emancipation Proclamation; it went for $748,000.

Paul had to deal with an apparent forgery. His benediction at the end of his second letter to the church at Thessalonica ends with, “The salutation of Paul with my own hand, which is a sign in every epistle; so I write” (2 Thessalonians 3:17). Paul not only identifies himself but indicates this letter is not a forgery. It is authentic. Apparently another letter was circulating (2:2) from a false teacher. So Paul warns his friends to not be led astray but to be faithful to the truths he communicated with them.

As we study our Bibles, we can know that the signature of God is in the inspired word. We will not be fooled if we stick with the message of Scripture.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
- 2 Timothy 3:16

blazingthru

Why Keep the Commandments?

AN AMAZING FACT: In the days when many public schools in America displayed the Ten Commandments, a higher percentage of the population was familiar with them. Now, according to one poll, less than 60 percent of Americans know the commandment regarding murder and only 34 percent are familiar with the Sabbath commandment.
Paul said, “The law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly” (1 Timothy 1:9). The Ten Commandments show people who are sinning where they are going wrong.

“Now the purpose of the commandment is love,” he adds. The Ten Commandments show us how to live in a way that reflects the love of our Creator.

Since “the law is not made for a righteous person,” does this mean that morally upright people don’t need to bother with keeping the law? Of course not. It means they are already keeping it!

God wrote the Ten Commandments on stone to signify their unchanging nature. While He was on Earth, Jesus always upheld the commandments as a reflection of His character of love; they were part of His teaching. And He says to all His disciples, “If you love Me, keep My commandments” (John 14:15).
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned: From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm. But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
- 1 Timothy 1:5-10

blazingthru

God’s Makeover

AN AMAZING FACT
: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition is a reality television series that provides home renovations for less fortunate families. Over eight seasons, different teams of volunteers have helped restore or completely rebuild more than 180 homes for people who have suffered tragedies in their lives.
How would you like to wake up some morning to hear that you were going to get a new house? After being interviewed about your family’s needs and preferences, you’d also be given a free one-week vacation while your house was totally renovated at no cost to you. One week later, before your eyes, would be your completely renewed home, with all-new furniture, electronics, and landscaping too. It would be a tearjerker moment, wouldn’t it?

The program receives thousands of applications for families in need. The producers look for truly deserving families who are the type to give back to their communities. Sometimes the family has a father who was critically injured, a child who is extremely ill, or several foster children. Some have lost loved ones in car accidents or have been victims of domestic violence.

The Bible talks about a renovation project that brought tears to the eyes of some and shouts of joy from others. It was the renovation of the temple in Jerusalem after the Babylonian captivity. When the foundations for the temple were laid, the Bible says, “Many of the priests and Levites and heads of the fathers’ houses, old men who had seen the first temple, wept with a loud voice when the foundation of this temple was laid before their eyes. Yet many shouted aloud for joy” (Ezra 3:12). In fact, the shouting was so loud you could not distinguish joy from weeping.

Someday God is going to do an extreme makeover of this Earth. Our home will be completely made new—not modified, not touched up, not just surface changes, but a brand-new creation. It will be just like it was in the beginning. Jesus will someday swing wide the gates of heaven and say, “Welcome home!”
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
- Revelation 21:1

blazingthru

Sleeping Peacefully

An Amazing Fact: A great Danish army invaded Scotland many years ago. They crept stealthily over the border and prepared to make a night attack on Scottish forces. There lay the camp of the Scots, silent in the starlight, never dreaming that danger was so near. The Danes, to make their advance quieter, came forward barefooted. Big mistake!

As the Danes neared the sleeping Scots, one unlucky soldier set his broad foot down squarely on a bristling thistle. Consequently, a roar of pain followed, and it rang out like a trumpet blast through the sleeping camp. In a moment, the Scottish soldiers all grabbed their weapons and the Danes were thoroughly routed. From that time, the thistle became the national emblem of Scotland!

Have you ever had a difficult time going to sleep at night? Perhaps you moved into a new home and as you tried to drift off to sleep every little noise disturbed you. Some people find it difficult to sleep because of worry. They spend their time doing “work” in their heads. One counselor said, “If you can’t get to sleep, go mop your kitchen floor, then lay down. If you still can’t get to sleep, go mop it again. Eventually you will be happy to go to sleep!” Maybe that’s not the best method, but there is one thing for sure, God cares about your sleep.

The Bible says, “When you lie down, you will not be afraid; Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet” (Proverbs 3:24). The Lord promises to watch over us as we close our eyes to rest at night. We can put our confidence in those protective angels that stand guard, not only over our bodies, but our minds as well.

Proverbs continues, “Do not be afraid of sudden terror, Nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes; For the Lord will be your confidence, And will keep your foot from being caught” (vs. 25, 26). In the case of the sleeping Scots, they were protected when the enemy’s foot got “caught” by stepping on a thistle! When you lay down to sleep tonight, put your confidence in the Lord.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
- Psalms 127:2

blazingthru

The Lowest Place

AN AMAZING FACT: The Kola Superdeep Borehole in Russia is the deepest hole ever drilled and the deepest artificial point on Earth. For two decades it was also the longest borehole at more than seven-and-a half miles. Drilling began in 1970 and ended in 1992 when the extreme heat made it impossible to run the equipment any deeper.
The original goal of the borehole was 49,000 feet while seeking to break through the Earth’s crust. There are basically three layers to our planet: the crust, the mantle, and the core. Geologists have been trying to drill down to the mantle, about 18 to 20 miles deep. (In the ocean, it is only about three miles deep.) So far no one has drilled through the elusive “Moho,” a nickname for the boundary between the crust and mantle.

There are other huge holes made by people: gigantic pits made for mining. Chuquicamata is an open-pit copper mine in Chile with the largest total production of copper in the world; it has a depth of 2,788 feet. The Udachnaya Pipe is a diamond mine in Russia at over 1,968 feet deep. But the Bingham Canyon Mine, a copper mine in the Oquirrh Mountains of Utah, is 3,937 feet deep and 13,123 feet wide (2.5 miles). It is the world’s largest man-made excavation.

God actually wants us to be at the lowest place. No, not in a hole in the Earth, but in our attitudes. Jesus told a story explaining how people often go to banquets and want to sit in the highest place. Sometimes the host asks them to move, and it is embarrassing to go down to the lowest place. You should “go to the lowest place” that you might be moved to the highest. Then Christ states, “For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted” (Luke 14:11).

God’s physics are different than man’s. The Lord tells us that going down lifts you up. So why not bow down in prayer for the One who will someday exalt you?
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
- 1 Peter 5:6

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Wonderful...thank you for posting.... and Amein!

Sleeping Peacefully

An Amazing Fact: A great Danish army invaded Scotland many years ago. They crept stealthily over the border and prepared to make a night attack on Scottish forces. There lay the camp of the Scots, silent in the starlight, never dreaming that danger was so near. The Danes, to make their advance quieter, came forward barefooted. Big mistake!

As the Danes neared the sleeping Scots, one unlucky soldier set his broad foot down squarely on a bristling thistle. Consequently, a roar of pain followed, and it rang out like a trumpet blast through the sleeping camp. In a moment, the Scottish soldiers all grabbed their weapons and the Danes were thoroughly routed. From that time, the thistle became the national emblem of Scotland!

Have you ever had a difficult time going to sleep at night? Perhaps you moved into a new home and as you tried to drift off to sleep every little noise disturbed you. Some people find it difficult to sleep because of worry. They spend their time doing “work” in their heads. One counselor said, “If you can’t get to sleep, go mop your kitchen floor, then lay down. If you still can’t get to sleep, go mop it again. Eventually you will be happy to go to sleep!” Maybe that’s not the best method, but there is one thing for sure, God cares about your sleep.

The Bible says, “When you lie down, you will not be afraid; Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet” (Proverbs 3:24). The Lord promises to watch over us as we close our eyes to rest at night. We can put our confidence in those protective angels that stand guard, not only over our bodies, but our minds as well.

Proverbs continues, “Do not be afraid of sudden terror, Nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes; For the Lord will be your confidence, And will keep your foot from being caught” (vs. 25, 26). In the case of the sleeping Scots, they were protected when the enemy’s foot got “caught” by stepping on a thistle! When you lay down to sleep tonight, put your confidence in the Lord.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
- Psalms 127:2

blazingthru

Blessed by a Heathen King

AN AMAZING FACT: King Artaxerxes had a surname that translates to “Longimanus” in Latin, supposedly because he had a right hand that was noticeably longer than his left hand.
Artaxerxes, ruler of Persia, displayed compassion that amazed the prophet Ezra, who gave praise to God for putting it in the king’s heart to be merciful to him and to the Jewish people.

The king commissioned Ezra to return to Jerusalem, taking with him as many people as wanted to return, and to continue work on the temple of God. He even gave Ezra generous gifts of silver and gold for the temple and advised him to buy many offerings to sacrifice to God. He told him to take from the king’s treasury anything else he might need to help with the temple, and he gave Ezra the power to collect from his treasurers “beyond the river.” He also advised him and empowered him to enforce the law of God and the law of the king and to teach anyone in his region who didn’t know the law.

This was all quite astonishing; apparently God had blessed this heathen king with wisdom from above. Artaxerxes recognized the supreme authority of God and didn’t hesitant to bow to that authority, even in front of his counselors and princes. Because of his respect for the true God, the people of the Lord were greatly blessed.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Blessed be the LORD God of our fathers, which hath put such a thing as this in the king's heart, to beautify the house of the LORD which is in Jerusalem:
- Ezra 7:27

And hath extended mercy unto me before the king, and his counsellors, and before all the king's mighty princes. And I was strengthened as the hand of the LORD my God was upon me, and I gathered together out of Israel chief men to go up with me.
- Ezra 7:28

blazingthru

Walking on Coals
AN AMAZING FACT: Fire walking is the act of walking barefoot over a bed of hot coals or stones. It has been used as a rite of passage to test a person’s strength, courage, or faith. Some believe it requires supernatural power, but modern physics has debunked this idea.
Can a person walk barefoot over hot coals and not burn their feet? It depends. Several factors are involved. First, the length of time the foot is in contact with coals is usually not enough to induce a burn. Some try to run through the coals but are burned because the coals are pressed hard against their feet. Second, coals are not very good conductors of heat. If a person walked through hot coals and stepped on a piece of metal, his or her feet would burn. Another factor is that coals reach their flash point (hottest temperature) and then begin to cool down, so you must choose carefully when to walk through the fire.

But it’s not really a good idea to walk through a bed of hot coals. You will probably burn your feet! It is not a matter of supernatural power (though the devil can do lots of tricks). It is just not a smart thing to do. And that’s the point Solomon is making when he writes, “Can a man take fire to his bosom, and his clothes not be burned? Can one walk on hot coals, and his feet not be seared?” (Proverbs 6:27, 28). It’s a rhetorical question intended to get the answer, “Of course not!”

That is what the wise man teaches about the person who thinks adultery is something that is innocent and will not hurt you. “Whoever commits adultery with a woman lacks understanding; he who does so destroys his own soul” (v. 32). Will breaking the seventh commandment leave you unscathed? Of course not! Be wise and do not go down the senseless and destructive path of sexual sin. It is driven by a passion that will burn and destroy you forever.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
- Hebrews 13:4

blazingthru

All We Like Sheep

AN AMAZING FACT: In July 2005, Turkish shepherds, while they ate breakfast, watched in stunned and helpless silence as their entire flock of 1,500 sheep followed each other one by one over a cliff. In all, only 450 sheep died … the later ones being cushioned by the earlier ones.
Sheep have a strong instinct to follow the one in front of them without “thinking.” Also, if a sheep gets tipped over and ends up on its back, it often cannot get back on its feet. Because of these and other strange tendencies, many people have assumed that sheep are dumb animals. However, sheep are very intelligent. They can recognize more than 50 other sheep’s faces for up to two years. A study in the journal Nature suggests they might be nearly as good as people at distinguishing faces in a crowd.

You might be wondering how a sheep gets stuck when it tips over. Interestingly, it is usually the sheep that are fat or laden with a heavy coat of wool that get stuck. A sheep might lie down in a comfortable little hollow after eating, roll on its side, and stretch out to get a little more comfortable. If it a large sheep, its feet will be unable to reach the ground. The sheep then panics and flails its feet around, which often makes it flip over on its back. In this position the sheep is likely to die if the shepherd does not find it soon.

Luke 15 tells us that Jesus takes notice of the missing sheep and leaves the 99 safe ones to go and find the one that has gotten itself into trouble. Notice that it is the fat, extra-woolly sheep that usually gets into trouble. Let us learn the lesson. When things appear to be going well and we are getting comfortable, this is the time of greatest danger. A loving Shepherd often directs His sheep to less comfortable places in order to keep them safe.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless the LORD thy God for the good land which he hath given thee. Beware that thou forget not the LORD thy God, in not keeping his commandments, and his judgments, and his statutes, which I command thee this day: Lest when thou hast eaten and art full, and hast built goodly houses, and dwelt therein; And when thy herds and thy flocks multiply, and thy silver and thy gold is multiplied, and all that thou hast is multiplied; Then thine heart be lifted up, and thou forget the LORD thy God, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage;
- Deuteronomy 8:10-14

blazingthru

Are You in Prison?

AN AMAZING FACT: Paul Geidel (1894–1987) was the longest serving American inmate whose sentence ended with his release. After being convicted of second-degree murder in 1911, Geidel served 68 years and 245 days in various New York state prisons. He was released on May 7, 1980, at the age of 86.
Geidel was born to an alcoholic saloonkeeper who died when the boy was only five years old. He spent most of his childhood in an orphanage and eventually worked in menial jobs. One day he decided to rob a wealthy broker who was staying in a hotel where Geidel worked. He suffocated the man and got away with a few dollars. Two days later he was arrested and convicted of second-degree murder and sent to prison for 20 years to life.

He was almost released in 1926 but was found to be legally insane. In 1974 he was granted parole, but the 80-year-old inmate did not want to leave prison. With no family, he thought he wouldn’t make it on the outside, so he chose to stay in for six more years. Finally, on May 7, 1980, he was released having served the longest prison sentence in American history. He lived out the remainder of his days in a nursing home.

Prison is about “serving” time and “putting in” labor for crime. Yet some people relate to God like they are serving time. In the story of the prodigal son, Jesus tells about the older son angrily talking with his father about the return of his younger brother. He said, “Lo, these many years I have been serving you; I never transgressed your commandment at any time; and yet you never game me a young goat that I might make merry with my friends” (Luke 15:29).

It is possible to serve God and still be trapped in a prison in your heart. Salvation is not about “having to serve time,” it is about rejoicing in the free gift. Don’t stay in prison. God wants to release you.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.
- Luke 15:3

blazingthru

Worldly Wisdom vs. God’s Wisdom

AN AMAZING FACT: Scientists have discovered a way to “jam” a part of the human brain related to wisdom. In the experiments, people were exposed to a social situation that they would normally consider unfair. While a part of their prefrontal cortex was “jammed,” by a purportedly harmless pulse of electromagnetic energy, people were unable to act in response to the unfair situation. (Any volunteers?)
William Shakespeare once wrote, “The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.” This rings similarly to Paul’s advice: “If anyone among you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise” (1 Corinthians 3:18).

It is true that we, in ourselves, have no wisdom. All the education and philosophy in the world can’t give it to us. Because of our fallen nature, wisdom has to come from outside ourselves.

The world’s concept of wisdom is very different from God’s view. “For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God” (1 Corinthians 3:19). The world wants wisdom without God, but it doesn’t exist.

The wisdom that comes from God is a treasure worth finding. “How much better to get wisdom than gold!” (Proverbs 16:16). Godly wisdom will guide us in every aspect of our existence and help us to understand the Bible and God’s will for our lives. All we need to do is ask Him for it.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding. For by me thy days shall be multiplied, and the years of thy life shall be increased. If thou be wise, thou shalt be wise for thyself: but if thou scornest, thou alone shalt bear it.
- Proverbs 9:9-12

blazingthru

The Great Wall

AN AMAZING FACT: The Great Wall of China is the longest man-made structure in the world. It stretches (with all its branches) more than 5,500 miles. It is a myth that it is one continuous wall built all at once. Pieces of the wall were constructed over several dynasties. Actual wall length combined is 3,889 miles.
The Great Wall is one of the seven wonders of the medieval age and was originally built in the 5th century BC on the northern borders of the Chinese empire to keep out nomadic groups. Pieces of the wall were constructed all the way to the 16th century. The first walls were made by stamping gravel and earth between board frames. Later the use of stone and brick was found to be easier to work with and more durable.

The wall itself is 16 to 26 feet in height, 15 to 30 feet wide at the base, and 9 to 12 feet wide at the top. It is more than a wall. There are guard towers, beacon towers, stairways, bridges, and battlements. It is quite an old wall at 2,232 years old, and much of it is gone. Erosion, construction, and people “using” parts of the wall for their own construction have left much of it in disrepair. It is believed that millions of Chinese peasants who helped build the wall were buried under it as they died from their hard labor.

An incredible story is told of building a wall in the Bible. Nehemiah came to Jerusalem to inspect the broken down walls and was heartbroken. He undertook to rebuild the wall. Breaking it into 40 sections, people of all classes joined in different parties to repair it. This was not just a political project. The walls were actually consecrated to the God of Israel, who was bringing back a remnant. (See Nehemiah 3:1.)

Someday we will see the walls of the New Jerusalem (Revelation 21:12) as God’s chosen people, rejoicing that our Lord has given us a great wall of protection; it is a wall that will never crumble.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
In that day shall this song be sung in the land of Judah; We have a strong city; salvation will God appoint for walls and bulwarks.
- Isaiah 26:1

blazingthru

A Spirit of Power

AN AMAZING FACT: Because of its grace, strength, and sheer size, the bald eagle was chosen to symbolize the United States. Baby eagles (eaglets) begin their lives high in a tree nest typically five feet in diameter. After making the first break in the shell, it can take an eaglet 12 to 48 hours to completely hatch out.
The parents provide well for their offspring, and the young birds grow rapidly—they add one pound every five days. But eventually, they must learn to fly and hunt for themselves. The mother teaches her eaglets to fly by making the nest very uncomfortable. She rips up the soft padding to expose sharp sticks, bones, and rocks. Then she stops bringing food, but she’ll frequently fly by the nest of hungry eaglets sporting fresh fish or rabbits to tempt them. The little eaglets become so hungry and uncomfortable they are eventually compelled to leave the nest and commit themselves to the unknown world of air outside.

It’s incredibly dangerous, as approximately 40 percent of young eagles do not survive their first flight. It’s believed that only about 1 in 10 eagles survive to adulthood (five years old). Some of the primary reasons are gunshot wounds by hunters that kill for feathers and talons to sell on the black market and lead poisoning from eating wounded ducks, rabbits, and other game that eluded the hunter but later died. It can be tough to be an eagle; in fact, they were once declared an endangered species. But they’ve since made a comeback.

Paul encouraged young Timothy, “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” (2 Timothy 1:7). Perhaps Timothy was timid and needed encouragement to “get out of the nest” and spread his wings. Certainly the eagle depicts power as well as risk that we all eventually experience in our Christian growth.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
- Romans 8:15

blazingthru

Forgiveness and Pardons

AN AMAZING FACT: An item in the May 2, 1985, Kansas City Times describes the attempt by some fans of O. Henry, the short-story writer, to get a pardon for their hero, who was accused in 1898 of embezzling $784.08 from the bank where he was employed. The question was raised, “Can you give a pardon to a dead man?”
Back in 1830 George Wilson was convicted of robbing the U.S. Mail and was sentenced to be hanged. President Andrew Jackson issued a pardon for Wilson, but the convict refused to accept it. The matter went to Chief Justice Marshall, who concluded that Wilson would have to be executed. “A pardon is a slip of paper,” wrote Marshall, “the value of which is determined by the acceptance of the person to be pardoned. If it is refused, it is no pardon. George Wilson must be hanged.”

The court stated: “A pardon is a deed, to the validity of which delivery is essential, and delivery is not complete without acceptance. It may then be rejected by the person to whom it is tendered; and if it is rejected, we have discovered no power in this court to force it upon him.”

A pardon is a form of forgiveness for a crime or cancellation (in whole or part) of the penalty associated with it. Sometimes forgiveness focuses more on letting go of resentment, indignation, or anger. Jesus spoke of forgiving a brother who sins against you. “If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him” (Luke 17:3). In fact, Christ says, “And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him” (v. 4).

George Wilson was offered forgiveness but refused to accept it. Christ has offered forgiveness and pardon for our sins. Not only would it be wise to accept this gracious offer but also to have this attitude toward others as well. How much better it is to offer it to people who are alive and can accept the pardon.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
- Matthew 6:12

blazingthru

Generosity Blesses the Giver

AN AMAZING FACT: Many children raised money to help the victims of the 2010 earthquake in Haiti. Few were as young as Will Merchant, who was only six years old when he learned about other kids raising money and came up with his own plan. By selling his original artwork, Will raised $500 to help earthquake victims. He was asked why he wanted to help people he’d never met. His answer: “God led me in my heart to do that.”
There are many different motivations for helping others. Sometimes it comes from a desire for public recognition, but this is not generosity. True generosity springs from empathy, kindness, and love.

Being generous always blesses the giver. The generous person might not benefit in ways that are obvious to others. In fact, their gift might be spurned or unappreciated. But even then, there is something positive that happens inside the heart of the person who gives.

On the other hand, according to the proverb, being stingy has an opposite outcome—it leads to poverty. This is always true, not necessarily in material things, but at least in a spiritual sense.

The Bible says, “The generous soul will be made rich, and he who waters will also be watered himself” (Proverbs 11:25). This doesn’t mean that generous people will necessarily receive material gain in return for their generosity, though that sometimes happens; yet they can count on other forms of enrichment.

There are definite emotional, physical, and spiritual benefits to giving. People who give out of generosity report more happiness; negative emotions are lessened and positive emotions are strengthened, which can support good health. The spiritual blessing of giving comes from God, the Ultimate Giver.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, but it tendeth to poverty.
- Proverbs 11:24

The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself.
- Proverbs 11:25

blazingthru

Be Kind to Animals

AN AMAZING FACT
: Around 63 percent of all U.S. households (71.1 million) have pets, and more than half of these households have more than one animal. The two most popular pets in most Western countries are cats and dogs. In the United States, a 2008 survey showed that dog-owning households outnumbered those owning cats—but that the total number of pet cats was higher than that of dogs.
Pets are household animals that people keep for enjoyment or companionship. There are health benefits to keeping a pet. They have been shown to help relieve stress and lower blood pressure. In fact, there are medically approved “therapy animals” used to visit people who are confined. Walking your dog gives you exercise, fresh air, and sunshine (and perhaps some social interaction). The most popular pets are, of course, dogs and cats. Worldwide there are about 202 million cats owned (can you own a cat?) and about 171 million dogs who have owners.

In case you are looking for something a little more interesting than a dog or cat, here are a few strange pets that people own. How about a hedgehog? They are nocturnal, so you’ll need to stay up late to play with them. Some people have enjoyed skunks as pets. But one of the most interesting is the Madagascar hissing cockroach. They don’t bite, sting, or fly … but they do hiss when you poke them!

The Bible talks about how to care for your animals. Whether it is livestock for your livelihood or pets for pleasure, the Bible says, “A righteous man regards the life of his animal, but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel” (Proverbs 12:10). In other words, be kind to animals. They are God’s creatures made for our enjoyment. Someday we will enjoy even greater freedom to interact with animals in an earth made new, a place where we will not have to worry about getting hurt.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn.
- Deuteronomy 25:4

blazingthru

Mystery of the “Lady Be Good”

AN AMAZING FACT: In 1959 a British Petroleum survey crew, while looking for oil in the North African desert of Libya, spotted the wreckage of a B-24 bomber. Upon investigation, it proved to be the remains of the “Lady Be Good,” a WWII bomber that had returned from a mission in Italy but had never reached the airbase. Mysteriously, the plane was empty.
What caused the “Lady Be Good” to miss her base, landing more than 400 miles away in the north Sahara desert, has remained an unsolved mysteries and caused much controversy. Upon the first examination of the plane, Air Force investigators made some startling discoveries. First was the fact that the crew of nine was neither in the plane nor anywhere nearby. Second, the navigator made no log entries after the initial bombing mission was aborted. Third, the navigator’s equipment and charts were stored in their cases. How could the navigator give directions to the pilot with the equipment in storage?

Over a period of several years after the discovery of the plane, the bodies of all but one of the crewmen were discovered in the desert—over 80 miles from the plane. The crew apparently had parachuted from the plane as it ran out of fuel. Though a diary found in the clothes of one of the crewmen told of the harsh desert conditions and of having only a half a canteen of water and no food between them, it gave no clue as to the cause of the accident.

Proverbs 12:15 says, “The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but he who heeds counsel is wise.” After removal from the plane and testing, all the instruments were found to be operational. One of the hypotheses is that, due to a severe tailwind that night, the plane might have passed the base earlier than expected. In this case, the crew would be forced to decide between following the radio beacon or their own calculations as to how long the trip should have taken.

Being right in our own eyes can be fatal, not only physically, but, more important, spiritually. Let us allow the infallible Word of God to be our beacon, whether it always makes sense to us or not.
KEY BIBLE TEXTS
There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.
- Proverbs 14:12