QTRLY Bible Study:

blazingthru

The Humility of Heavenly Wisdom
(James 3:13-4:10)

Introduction: Have you ever said, "That person needs an attitude adjustment?" Have you ever thought that your attitude could use improvement? In our study this week, James has some practical thoughts on wisdom and our attitude. Once again, he suggests some things that seem inconsistent with other Bible texts. We will puzzle out those apparent conflicts. Let's dive into our study of the Bible and see what we can learn about attitudes and wisdom!

Wise and Understanding

Read James 3:13. Look at the question. What do you think James expected? Would some people raise their hands and say, "Yes, that is me. I'm wise and understanding."

(I've known people who I think might raise their hand. But, my thought is that James is asking the question to start us thinking: "How can I become wise and understanding?" What does it mean to be wise and understanding?)

Look again at James 3:13, but this time look at James' answer to the question. Is this just more of the same from James: our deeds prove our faith? (Yes it is more of the same, but it is also an opening for a discussion of what it means to be wise and understanding.)

Read James 3:14-15. Are envy and ambition okay if they are not "bitter" and "selfish?"

(Envy and ambition motivate us to get up and do something. But, you can cross a line. Bitter sounds like conflict, and the Greek behind the word translated "ambition" has an element of strife.)

Why would someone boast about bitter envy and selfish ambition? (We see this all the time. Essentially the person says "I am going to fight my way to the top.")

James also mentions "denying the truth." What "truth" is being denied? (The truth that we are, indeed, harboring bitter envy and selfish ambition.)

Wait a minute! James calls "bitter envy and selfish ambition" "wisdom." What was James' original question?

("Who is wise and understanding?")

Re-read James 3:13-15. Is James comparing two views of wisdom?

(Yes. God's wisdom produces a good life and deeds done with an attitude of humility. Satan's wisdom produces an attitude of bitter envy and selfish ambition.)

Why does James compare the two?

(He wants us to choose the right wisdom, the wisdom that comes from God.)

Read James 3:16. What kind of life does Satan's wisdom produce?

("Disorder and every evil practice." This motivates us to seek God's wisdom.)

Read James 3:17. We have the problem of "which comes first?" Are these attitudes the result of heavenly wisdom (much like disorder and evil practice result from Satan's wisdom), or is James describing the kinds of attitudes we need to cultivate to have heaven's wisdom?

(How about a third answer: I think it is a test. How can you tell heavenly wisdom? It looks like this: Pure, peaceful, sincere, impartial, mercy, good deeds, submissive and a considerate attitude.)

Read James 3:18. Why do you think James singles out "peacemakers?" "Peace" is just one of the attitudes resulting from God's wisdom, why highlight it?

(I'll bet you agree with James: having someone in your life who promotes peace, instead of trouble, is very important. Peace brings a harvest of righteousness.)

Troublemakers

Read James 4:1-2. Look at James' question, "What causes fights?" What do you think about his answer to that question?

(It seems right. We get into fights because we think we should have something that we don't have.)

Let's consider this in connection with Satan's wisdom. What tilts people towards Satan's wisdom?

(An attitude that they have been deprived of something. This arises from bitter envy and selfish ambition. The result is coveting, quarreling, fighting, and killing.)

What is the solution to this serious problem? (Asking God for those things we covet.)

Read James 4:3. James just suggested that we ask God when we feel deprived of something. Now he limits our ability to ask. What do you think about James' limit?

How many of the things you ask God for involve your own pleasure?

Read Matthew 7:9-11. Do you give your children good gifts that give them pleasure?

Would you want to give your child a gift that did not bring pleasure?

If you say, "No, I want my child to enjoy my gift," what is James talking about? (I suspect this has something to do with what is meant by "good" gifts and what kind of pleasure James means.)

Read James 4:4-5. Has James jumped to a different topic?

If you say, "no," what has this to do with God's wisdom - the wisdom that asks for the right things?

(I don't think James has changed topics. Instead, he says that what brings us pleasure turns on who we have as friends. If we have the attitude of the world, we will always covet (envy intensely), which creates unhappiness, quarrels and fights in our life. We should not expect God to fill the hole created by this envy. If God did that He would promote the wrong goal.)

The Cure

Read James 4:6. What is the cure for Satan's wisdom, with its resulting envy and trouble? (Grace. God offers to send His Holy Spirit to convert our hearts. We need to put away our pride, and realize our need of grace.)

Read James 4:7-8. Would you like a more peaceful life? What practical steps does James prescribe? (The attitude of submitting to God, resisting Satan.)

When James tells us to "wash" our hands and "purify" our hearts, is he advocating good hygiene? (Our hands represent what we do, and our hearts represent what we think.)

Is James advocating works?
(Notice that James introduces this by saying "come near to God" and God "will come near to you." I'll understand that as grace.)

Read James 4:9. Is this God's wisdom: to grieve, mourn, wail and be gloomy? Those attitudes and practices should make Christianity attractive!

Read John 15:9-11 and Galatians 5:22. Jesus tells us that obedience brings joy. Paul tells us that the Holy Spirit living in us brings joy. Is James off on a tangent? This is a serious question because I have heard so-called Christians advocating an attitude of gloom and mourning. (Look at the context. James is giving advice to those who are coming over from the dark side. These are people who need a change of attitude and a change of actions. Thus, I think James is saying to be serious about our sins. Grieve and mourn our life of sin. Once we bring this sin to God for forgiveness, then joy is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit living in us.)

Read James 4:10. What kind of humility is James calling for? (Look at context again. Humility is submitting to God's desire for your life. If we have that attitude, God will "lift you up.")

Do[B]es this look like the advice on gloom and joy?[/B] (It is an exact parallel. The sadness over your sins brings joy for the future. Humbling your will before God, brings glory for the future.)

Let's assume that you are counseling young people. How would you lay out the two alternative paths and encourage them to follow the path of God's wisdom?
(Ask what kind of life they want to have. Do they want to constantly be envious and bitter about the success of those around them? Do they want to have disorder, quarrels and fights as a regular part of life? If they prefer peace, satisfaction and honor, then they need to decide to choose God's path and God's attitudes.)

Friend, how about you? How is your life? How is your attitude? Look again at James 3:17 and see if the wisdom of your life looks like this. If not, why not ask the Holy Spirit to change your attitudes to give you God's wisdom?

blazingthru

One Lawgiver and Judge
(James 4:11-17)

Introduction: Two weeks ago, we learned from James what terrible damage our tongue can create. Have you ever said something that is judgmental? I know I have. We had an older member of the church who would bring new people to church and at the same time insult current church members. It seemed like she was bringing some in and driving others out. When I discussed the insults with her (I think she was insulting me at the time), she told me that was just the way she was. Is that the way we all are? Perhaps this reflects a deeper problem of thinking that we are superior and everyone should conform to our views. This week James writes about being judgmental and bragging about the future. Let's dive into our study of the Bible and learn more!

Judging

Read James 4:11. James says that judging a fellow Christian is like judging the law. Elsewhere ( James 1:25) James refers to the "perfect law." Are fellow Christians perfect? If not, then what is James talking about?

How is making a judgment about a fellow Christian like judging the law?

Read 1 Corinthians 6:2-4. Paul tells us that we will judge angels. Does this mean that James and Paul disagree?

Let's look again at James 4:11 and add James 4:12. Who does James say is the Judge? (Jesus.)

If Jesus is the Judge, what does that suggest is the problem with us judging? (We are usurping the authority of God.)

Notice that James says this Judge is also the "Lawgiver." What does the fact that God gives us the law have to do with our judging fellow Christians? ( James 4:11 uses the term "slander," suggesting that we are unfairly judging. When James says there is only one Lawgiver, I think he means that when we create our own standard for judgment, we usurp God's role as lawgiver.)

We have two points from James: 1)When we judge fellow Christians we usurp God's role as Judge; and, 2)When we create our own standards for judgment, we usurp God's role as lawgiver. How do explain Paul's statement in 1 Corinthians 6:2-4, where he tells us to be judges? (Read 1 Corinthians 6:1. This gives us the context. Paul says that when it comes to disputes among believers, we can (and should) have the church appoint judges who will resolve the dispute.)

Read 1 Corinthians 5:1-3. What is Paul's view about judging fellow believers here? (That we have an absolute obligation to do it. Paul says that he already passed judgment on this situation, and he criticizes the believers for not having already judged this man and put him out of the church.)

Is this like the prior situation in which a church member resolves (judges) disputes between church members? (No. This seems much closer to the kind of situation that James has been writing about.)

Are Paul and James hopelessly in conflict over the point of judging?

If not, what important differences do you find in these Bible texts? (First, James begins describing the judgment as "slander." This suggests an improper judgment. Second, Paul seems to refer to official church-appointed judges. The church has an obligation to judge. James is targeting the unofficial judges who use their own false standards and are thereby taking the place of God both in their judgment and in their creation of their own standard.)

How does your church handle official judging? For example, when I was an Elder and Lay Pastor in my local church, I recall getting roped by higher authority into visiting a member who was involved in adultery (no other sin seemed to require a visit). I was told by the person I was visiting that "it was none of my business, who was I to judge?" I hated these kinds of visits. Our message to the straying member was reform, resign, or get voted out of the church. What do you think James would say about this kind of visit? What would Paul say?

More recently, the church had a couple of fairly high profile cases of adultery, and to my knowledge (I was no longer the Lay Pastor) nothing official was done. Certainly, no one asked me to visit. Do you think that approach is better than the visit and threaten approach? (Frankly, the only difference in the outcome that I could discern was that a visit made the spurned spouse feel justified. In the most recent cases, the spurned spouses promptly divorced and remarried. That seemed as powerful an object lesson as imposing church discipline.)

Look again at 1 Corinthians 5:1-2. What is the most important problem here? (The church sets a bad example to the world. Church members are "proud" of the sin.)

What does this add to our thinking about official church discipline? (Considering James and Paul, I think official church discipline, in the abstract, is appropriate. At the same time, it seems to be required only when some in the church encourage the sin and the sin sets a bad example, or embarrasses the church in front of the world.)

Bragging

Read James 4:13-14. Do you have a plan for tomorrow? How about for the next year? (I have appointment dates and deadlines that span at least a year in advance.)

Is James saying that is wrong?

Does James win the most disorganized person award?

Read Luke 13:31-33 and Luke 14:28-30. What do these texts suggest about organization and plans for tomorrow? (They support the idea.)

Read Matthew 6:34. What does this say about tomorrow?

Let's re-read James 4:13-14 and add James 4:15. We have read several statements about tomorrow and being organized. What common thread of truth can you find in these texts that supports James? (Planning is fine. But, we need to trust God. We need to put away worry, and we need to put away self-trust. Our lives are in God's hands. I think James' point is to avoid being arrogant about what you will be doing tomorrow.)

Read James 4:16. What problem does James point out that goes beyond self-trust? (People are bragging about things they have not yet done. They boast of accomplishments for the future. How can we boast about a future that is entirely in the hands of God? We can boast about our God, but not about ourselves.)

One of advantages of studying a book of the Bible is that the material is presented the way God wants it presented. James first wrote about slander, and now he is writing about boasting about the future. What is James collectively teaching us about the "big picture?" (We use our tongues to cut others down and to boast about our future. Both usurp the authority of God. Slandering others usurps the authority of God as Judge and Lawgiver. Bragging about the future usurps the authority of God over our future.)

Status Quo Sins?

Read James 4:17. What kind of sin is this? (It sounds like the sin of omission - failing to do something you know you should do.)

What connection does it have with our prior discussion about judging and bragging about tomorrow? Don't those seem like affirmative sins, not sins of omission?

Read James 1:22-24. What is James teaching us here? (I think James 4:17 repeats the instruction in James 1:22-24. James just gave us the "mirror" in which we recognized our judgmental attitude about others and our arrogant attitude about the future. Now he tells us, do something about these attitudes. Don't just forget what you saw.)

Friend, do you recognize your sins in these warnings? If you tend to be judgmental, or brag about the future without recognizing your dependance upon God, why not face those attitudes right now by confessing them? Ask the Holy Spirit to keep your eye in the "mirror" so you will continue to walk the road towards greater righteousnes

blazingthru

Introduction: A New York Times' best-selling book called "Drive" reports on what makes employees satisfied. It reveals that just paying employees more money is not the key to job satisfaction. Money is important, of course, but only to a certain point. Once an employee can live reasonably comfortably, then what becomes more important is the ability to be creative, to believe you are doing something worth-while, and to be given the freedom to make job decisions. Is this also true for the rest of life? Money is not the mainspring of happiness? James seems to have a bias against the rich. Let's dive into our study of the Bible and see what we can learn from James about wealth and happiness!

Miserable Rich

Would you rather be rich or poor? I suspect almost everyone answers, "rich." Let's read James 5:1. How would James answer the question I just asked?

(It seems that he would agree with you - rich is better. James says that misery is coming to the rich, not that they are miserable now. It reminds me of James' prior comment ( James 1:10-11) where he says to the rich, "you will die soon." Both assume the rich are doing just fine now, but James says bad things are coming.)

Read James 5:2-3. What, exactly, is the misery that will face the rich?

(Astonishingly, James says that the misery ahead for the rich is that they will lose their wealth! The wealth of the rich is going to be corrupted. James seems to endorse the fact that having wealth is a blessing, because having it taken away from you causes misery.)

Another New York Times' best-seller, "Nudge," is about structuring choices. It gives an interesting example about choice. Assume your employer told you that next year (2015)you could choose to have 30 days more vacation, or $10,000 more in salary. You take the $10,000, even though you would be equally content to take the 30 days. If the following year (2016) your employer decides to switch, and give you 30 days instead, you would now be very unhappy - even though you did not have a strong preference between the two. Nudge reports that people feel the loss of something they currently possess twice as much as if they never had it. What does that teach us about James' prediction that the rich will lose their money?

(It really is cause to weep and wail.)

Look again at James 5:3. Why would the "corrosion" of the gold and silver of the rich "testify" against them?

(The allegation seems to be that they did not use their money for good purposes. "Corroded" indicates a lack of use.)

What is James talking about when he says that they have hoarded wealth in the "last days?" His audience did not see the Second Coming of Jesus. What do you think James meant?

(The commentators I consulted disagreed. It could be a prophetic statement about the rich just before the Second Coming of Jesus, or it could have been a statement about the soon-coming destruction of the Jewish nation. I vote for the second interpretation.)

Let's assume I'm right, why would wealth "testify" against the rich and "eat their flesh like fire" because of the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans?

(The rich collected money to protect themselves, yet it could not protect them against the Romans. Thus, it testified that they placed their trust in the wrong thing.)

Can you begin to see why James can correctly predict the coming misery of the rich? His statements do not come from personal bias.

What do you think the rich should have been doing with their money?

Honesty

Read James 5:4. Those of you who follow my studies know about Deuteronomy 28 which says that following God brings riches, and disobeying God brings poverty. Sometimes we add Hebrews 11 to the picture because it says that life on earth is unpredictable for the faithful, some enjoy success and others suffer. Thus, James' theme that having wealth means you have a flawed character has to be reconciled with Deuteronomy 28 and Hebrews 11. What is the reason for James condemning the rich here?

(The rich owner of the field did not pay his workmen their wages.)

What does the reference to "crying out to the Lord" mean? (These workers believe in God and they have asked God for justice. This tells us that the rich being addressed here have cheated those employed by them.)

Look again at James 5:4, do you think James' condemnation includes paying low wages, and not just no wages?

If you said, "yes," how low is a sin?

The AFL-CIO (a collection of American labor unions) has something called the "Executive Pay Watch." It lists the income of the managers of big companies. Since the AFL-CIO does not represent any of these managers, it is not bragging about what it has done for them. Rather, it is appealing to the covetousness of those workers who it does represent. I recall a church member who used to complain about the difference between what her husband earned (a well-compensated engineer) and the top manager of his company. Is that what James is condemning - that owners and managers make more than the workers?

Let's consider Henry Ford. Henry Ford was an early automobile inventor. He used mass production to assemble cars that ordinary people could afford. How much was a man working on Ford's assembly line worth? Let's say each car sold brought $50 in profit, that fifty men worked on each car, and that the fifty men produced fifty cars a year. That would mean the maximum value to be paid to each of those fifty men was $50 a year, right?

Would it be fair to pay all of the profits to the workers, and none to Henry Ford?

What is the value of the man who invented that car, invented the production method, and built the plant?
(Let's say a 50% split in the profits between Henry and the workers is fair. The individual worker now gets paid $25 a year. If you agree that a 50% split is fair for the person who created the car, the plant and the job, you can see that Henry would be making a lot more than the individual worker.)

What if we drop Henry and say you invented something, invented an efficient way to manufacture it, and owned the plant and machinery for making it: would you agree to a 50% split in the profit with someone who did the assembly work?

Is paying workers less than the owner the sin problem identified by James? (This discussion suggests that it is not sin.)

Read James 5:5. "Fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter." That is an interesting phrase. What would it mean for cattle? (We want the cattle to be fat on the day of slaughter.)

If that is correct, what would it mean for humans? (That being rich has made them a target when their nation was destroyed. The picture is that these rich people have made the wrong choices. They have cheated and alienated their workers, they have used money that belonged to others for their own self-indulgence. This made them a target when the nation begins to collapse.)

The leading nations of the Western world carry an extraordinary debt load. This makes the possibility of economic collapse more likely. I know people who store food in case of disaster. However, they also store guns to protect their food against those who will be hungry because they have not prepared for disaster. What do you think about this? Is this like the rich who hoarded wealth and the Jewish nation collapsed?

Read James 5:6. Is it okay to condemn and murder innocent men who are opposing you?

(No. James tells us that these are outrageous cases. It is obviously wrong to condemn and murder innocent men. But, if you are killing innocent people who do not even oppose you, what excuse can you have? None. These rich murdered the innocent because they could.)

Friend, what is James' message about wealth and happiness? James tells us that wealth is fleeting. Worse, the improper use of wealth and power results in a time of judgment. Is James describing you? If so, why not ask the Holy Spirit to guide your use of your wealth and power?

Next week: Getting Ready for the Harvest.

blazingthru

Getting Ready for the Harvest
(James 5:7-12)

Introduction: In our study last week, James told the rich a terrible time was coming upon them. Part of the reason was that they had been unjust to their workers. This week James addresses a different audience, church members. The message last week and the message this week, however, seem to have some relationship to each other. Let's plunge into our study of the Bible and see what we can learn!

Patience

Read James 5:7. He says, "Be patient, then." If James is continuing from last week, what are they to be patient about? (Last week James said to the rich, "Misery ... is coming on you" ( James 5:1). Members of the church were apparently employees who had been cheated. They should be patient because vindication is at hand. God will deal with the rich.)

What will vindicate the church members?
(The coming of the Lord - which is near.)

That is a problem, isn't it? If James had written that they should be prepared for the Second Coming, that would be a good message. But, he says that the rich are going to get justice and their victims vindication if they show patience. The problem is that they all died before Jesus came. Is James a false prophet?

(I would have thought God was going to give me justice soon.)

Read James 4:14. James says life is like a mist that disappears quickly. When we die, these kinds of problems come to a conclusion. Is that what James meant?

Re-read James 5:7 and add James 5:8. Does this sound like James is talking about death? (No! The farmer sees the autumn and spring rains. They come in a year. James also says "the Lord's coming is near.")

If the time of vindication is like an annual event, and James says the time is "near," how do you explain that it has been 2,000 years?

It seems all the disciples thought Jesus return was near. To explain this I've heard people say something like: "Well, if the disciples had thought that the Second Coming was 2,000 years away, they would not have been motivated to share the gospel." What do you think about that explanation?

How many people lie to motivate you to buy something, because the truth would not be very motivating?

Read Acts 1:6-8. What is the last thing that our Lord said before He returned to heaven? (He told the disciples that God sets the times for future events and it is not for us to know.)

Does this put James in an even worse light? He says the Second Coming is near when he has no idea - and has been told by Jesus that only God knows the time of the Second Coming?

These are hard questions, the kind you might expect from a lawyer in cross-examination. But, they are not unfair questions. Let's explore an explanation, one that does not involve the assertion that James was not telling the truth.

Crossing Over

Read John 5:24-25. James and Jesus are speaking of the same event - the Second Coming of Jesus. Notice that Jesus says that the time of the Second Coming "is coming and has now come." How could Jesus say the Second Coming "has now come" when it was thousands of years in the future?

What is the most important part of the Second Coming?

(Death is defeated. We are given eternal life. Because of the way that Jesus phrases this, I think He is speaking of the essence of the event (which is defeating death), instead of focuses on the timing of the Second Coming.)

If you think I might be right about this, what evidence is there that death was defeated while Jesus was still here the first time?
(Look again at John 5:24. Jesus told those who were listening to Him that they could, right now, cross over from death to life.)

Do you think that you can enter into eternal life now?
(Read John 5:26. Jesus has the power to give us eternal life. The essential part of the Second Coming - defeating death - can take place right now.)

Read James 5:8-9. What could James be talking about here that is true?
(Our Judge is constantly "standing by the door." He is willing to open the door to eternal life right now. When we give our life to Jesus, He opens the door that allows us to cross-over from death to eternal life. The essence of the Second Coming is available to us now. If we realize that, it helps us to be patient with the long wait.)

Examples of Patience

Read James 5:10-11. Why are the prophets a good example for the people to whom James is writing?(The prophets needed patience because they suffered the most from their fellow citizens. Those who claimed to know God were the main problem. Recall that James is writing to believers who fled persecution from fellow Jews. They are just like the prophets in that respect.)

Why is Job an especially good example for these people?
(Job was not only given a difficult time by this friends, but he lost his earthly wealth. That is likely the situation of those to whom James is writing.)

Look again at James 5:11. James says look at what God finally did for Job. What God did for Job occurred during his lifetime. How would those to whom James was writing understand this "be patient" advice?

Don't you hate it when people are so theoretical that they seem to have no common sense? We started our discussion ( James 5:7) with James telling people who were abused by the rich to be patient "until the Lord's coming." I then pointed out the spiritual aspect of the Lord's coming, the cross-over from death to life. What about the practical part of retribution against the rich? If we take a commonsense point of view, is James misleading the people to whom he is writing?

Read Matthew 24:1-3, and then skim over the rest of the chapter. What is Jesus describing in answer to the question of the disciples?
(He is describing both the fall of Jerusalem and His Second Coming.)

Why is it appropriate for Jesus to mix up the two?
(Look again at the question the disciples asked. They asked about both events. Their assumption was that they were the same event.)

Does this discussion help us with the practical, retribution aspect of what James wrote? (Yes. The fall of Jerusalem was very close. The rich who had abused the poor were about to suffer some serious retribution. Having cheated the poor to gain more money would do them no good now.)

Let's look back at the hard cross-examination questions I asked. Is James misleading those to whom he is writing? (They were likely to believe the Second Coming was close. But, the essence of the message, entering into eternal life and retribution for being cheated, those truly were both at hand.)

Swearing

Read James 5:12. Is James off on another, unrelated, topic? (Read Matthew 5:34-35. Notice that swearing by Jerusalem was one of the grounds for claiming you were telling the truth.)

How reliable would it be to swear by Jerusalem?
(I think this advice is related to the prior discussion. James tells his readers don't rely on money, rely on God because He will make things right. Now he says that when it comes to you doing the right thing, don't suggest reliance on anything God has made, rather just do what is right as a child of God. Swearing by Jerusalem would soon prove to be a bad idea.)

Friend, would you like to cross over from death to eternal life right now? James suggests this is a solution to many of the problems of life. Why not repent, confess and claim Jesus' promise of entering into eternal life today?

Next week: Prayer, Healing and Restoration.

blazingthru

Lesson 1

The Call of Wisdom

(Proverbs 1 & 2)

Introduction: Would you like to be smarter? Would you like to know exactly the right thing to say in difficult situations? In the employment related courses that I teach in law school, I include a "mini-course" on Bible-based emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is nothing less than wisdom. There are numerous studies that show that employees who are emotionally intelligent are more successful. Here is something you might not know: Employees are not generally fired because they are incompetent. Most of the time it has to do with their inability to get along with others. The Bible texts I use to teach emotional intelligence generally come from the book of Proverbs. The great news is that our study this quarter is the book of Proverbs and wisdom. Let's dive into our first lesson!

Table of Contents

Read Proverbs 1:1-2. Have you looked at the index of a book to see if you would be interested in reading it? Proverbs starts out with an index. What do these verses indicate that we will find inside this book?

(We can learn about how to be wise and how to have better insight.)

Read Proverbs 1:3. What other subjects will we learn about in Proverbs?

(Justice. Acting prudently.)

Read Proverbs 1:4. We are born with a certain level of general intelligence that it seems cannot be greatly increased. Is wisdom like that - we are stuck with whatever we got at birth?

(No. This tells us that the "simple," meaning those who are not too smart, and the "youth," meaning those who are immature, can learn wisdom, they can become emotionally intelligent.)

Read Proverbs 1:5. Is Proverbs only for those in need of remedial lessons on wisdom?

(No. Whatever your level of general and emotional intelligence, Proverbs can improve your wisdom and discretion.)

Sources of Wisdom

Read Proverbs 1:7. What is the source of true wisdom? (God.)

In what sense is the word "fear" used here? (It seems to be a call to respect God's view of things.)

One commentary said this fear had "nothing to do with the superstitious and childish fear of divine punishment." Do you agree?

Read Revelation 14:9-10. Is this angel spreading superstitious and childish fear?

("Superstitious" refers to the "supernatural" - which would include the work of God. A fear of divine judgment makes sense. "Childish" fear also makes sense in light of Matthew 18:2-3. Jesus said there that laying aside pride, and becoming more like children, is an important attitude for learning.)

Look again at the last part of Proverbs 1:7. What do you think about the different shades of fear and the idea of looking to God for wisdom?

(Notice that Proverbs 1:7 says "fools" despise God's wisdom. It seems foolish to me to ignore the ultimate fate of those who are lost. Fearing God ranges from respecting His opinion because He loves us and wants us to live better lives, to acknowledging the terrible downside of eternal death. I think all of this comes properly packaged in the phrase "fear of the Lord.")

Is it improper, or a violation of the principle of love, to talk about the destruction of the wicked?

(When my children were young, we worried about them running into the street and being killed by a car. When a squirrel was killed in the road, my wife took the kids down to the road and had them look at the smashed squirrel. It was a powerful lesson. I can see wisdom "beginning" with this very basic point.)

What kind of motivation does God give us in Deuteronomy 28? (Those who regularly read my lessons know I regularly refer to Deuteronomy 28. Just as we saw that Proverbs is for both the simple and the already wise, so God teaches us at many levels. Just as with children, He starts out with rewards and punishments, but then leads us to a more educated view of our relationship.)

Read Proverbs 1:8-10. What other sources of wisdom are available? (Our parents.)

Is there a limit on this? (If you look at verse 10, it warns us about being enticed by "sinful" men. The assumption here is that you have godly parents.)

Why are garlands and chains mentioned in connection with taking the advice of your parents? (These are badges of honor.)

How selective should we be about where we obtain our wisdom? (We need to be selective. Verse 10 tells us that God-given and God-consistent advice is what we need. The advice of those whose life is inconsistent with God's advice should be avoided.)

Read Proverbs 1:11-14. What is the goal of this advice? (To use violence to make money.)

Read Proverbs 1:15-16. Why is it important not to "go along" with people like this, or "set foot" on their paths? Why not just say "Don't join them in their evil?" (This is a very important point in American law. If you are driving the car carrying several "bad" friends, and one jumps out and commits some crime, if you simply drive them away from the scene of the crime you are guilty for the crime! The Bible says "stay away!" This is great legal advice.)

Read Proverbs 1:17-19. What does Proverbs mean about the visible net? (Normally, you trap birds with a snare (net) that is hard to see. Proverbs says the problem with the kind of bad behavior described above is obvious to anyone with wisdom. Instead of the evil behavior gaining money, it destroys the life of the evildoer.)

Wisdom's Appeal

Read Proverbs 1:20-21. Where does the call for fearing God take place? (Not only at church, but in the public square! It is everywhere if you look.)

Read Proverbs 1:22-23. How does this differ from the world's view about following God? (The world claims that Christians are stupid and uneducated. Proverbs says the reverse is true. Those who reject God are simple (not too smart), mockers and fools.)

How can we show love towards pagans, and at the same time suggest they are the true fools?

Making fun of your opponent (mockery) is a powerful weapon in debate. When God calls pagans "mockers" does He mean that this debate tool is off-limits to Christians? (Notice that mockery seems to be contrasted to knowledge. It seems that arguments based on mockery instead of knowledge should be off-limits.)

If we repent, what will God do? (He will fill us with wisdom. He will teach us His ways.)

Read Proverbs 1:25-26. Now we see that God mocks those who reject His advice. Now can we mock the pagans?

Notice that the mocking is in reaction to disaster and calamity. How does that affect your opinion? (This is difficult. The picture I see is that God mocks those who mocked Him. Disaster for sincere people is an opportunity to share the gospel in love.)

The Pursuit of Wisdom

Read Proverbs 2:1-4. What kind of effort is required in the pursuit of God's wisdom? (We need to make a serious search - just like we were looking for buried treasure!)

Read Proverbs 2:5-6. As we mentioned earlier, general intelligence is something essentially determined at birth. What about wisdom, can anyone have it? (Only those who are serious about finding it can have it. The good news is that anyone has the potential to be wise. The bad news is that this is a matter of works - we need to work at it.)

Read Proverbs 3:1-2. Once we acquire wisdom is it a permanent part of our life? (We can forget God's principles. The goal is to internalize them. To make them a part of how we think and how we live.)

Wisdom's Result

Read Proverbs 1:32-33. Do our decisions regarding God have consequences?

Read Proverbs 2:6-8. What aspect of God's care keeps being repeated here? (God's protection. God is a "shield," a "guard" and "protect[ion].")

Do you think that God actively intervenes to protect those who follow His advice? (God's active intervention is certainly possible, but I think this mainly refers to the natural consequences of certain actions. Following God's advice (showing wisdom) protects you against a lot of bad things in life.)

Friend, are you willing to put in the effort to acquire God's wisdom? Why not commit to that today, so that your life will be on the path to improvement!

blazingthru

From Ears to Feet
(Proverbs 4-6)

Introduction: One tip I share with young pastors is that sermons need to be filled with stories. This may seem illogical. If you have 20-30 minutes for a sermon, you need to pack in as much "meat" as possible, and avoid the fluff, right? Wrong! I recall one preacher who went from Bible text to Bible text to pound out his points. Not an ounce of "fat" in his sermon. But, an hour later, no one could recall what he said. If his sermon was heard, it did not stick. Stories make people listen and make your points stick. Remembering a point helps it to shape your decisions. Jesus demonstrated this with His parables. Listening is the starting point for our study this week about making right decisions, so let's jump right into our study of the Bible!

Paying Attention and Health

Read Proverbs 4:20. What is the most important thing about speaking? (Having someone "pay attention.")

Do you think this is easier today then it was when you were a young person? (These days video and smart phones are real competition for paying attention.)

Read Proverbs 4:21. What is the next important thing about speaking? (Having your words remembered. Putting your words into practice.)

I recall a study finding that the attention span of jurors is seven minutes. Imagine that! In a strange setting, a courtroom, when lives or property turn on your decision, and your attention span is only seven minutes! Imagine what it is in church. I've mentioned stories, what else might you do to promote paying attention to your words? (In both my Bible and law school classes I move around a lot when I teach. Asking a lot of questions, audience participation, humor, and visual aids are all part of my strategy of keeping the audience focused. You may have noticed that a great deal of the Bible consists of stories.)

Read Proverbs 4:22. On the face of it this is an odd statement. You want others to learn from you, yet the outcome has to do with life and health. Are you teaching about nutrition? (Recall that the subject is God's wisdom. Following God's plan for your life promotes longevity (see Proverbs 3:1-2) and better health (see Proverbs 3:7-8).)

When Proverbs 4:22 promises "health to a one's whole body," do you think this includes mental health?

Read Proverbs 1:1, Ecclesiastes 9:5 and Ecclesiastes 9:9. Proverbs tells us that Solomon was the writer/editor of the Proverbs. Do these texts in Ecclesiastes sound like they were written by someone with perfect mental health? (My reading of Solomon's writings make me think he suffered from depression. Ecclesiastes 9:5 is often cited regarding the state of the dead, but that makes no sense to me because the next phrase is that the dead "have no further reward." No Christian who believes in heaven thinks the dead in Jesus have "no further reward." This is the statement of a depressed man.)

If I'm correct that King Solomon suffered from depression, what does this say about Solomon's statement that wisdom gives "health to a man's whole body?" (This gives his words more credibility. A person suffering from depression would understand the advantage of following God's wisdom. We know Solomon did not always follow his own advice. Thus, he understood how following God's way helps us deal with health issues.)

Read Proverbs 4:23-25. When you are hearing words of wisdom and trying to put them into action, what should you be doing at the same time? (You need to take some defensive actions. You need to guard what comes into your mind (your heart). This has to do with what you see, what you have as your goals, and what you say.)

Fidelity and Prosperity

Read Proverbs 5:1-4. Why do people have sex outside of marriage? (We like honey. These verses suggest an attraction.)

Why is "smooth speech" part of it? I doubt most people who have affairs do so because of public speaking skills! (I think most people have affairs because of ego. It is a great compliment that someone other than your spouse is attracted to you. That is where "smooth speech" is relevant.)

What is at the end of the honey and ego boost? (Bitterness.)

What do you think is meant by the double-edged sword? (The one with whom you have an affair hurts you.)

Read Proverbs 5:7-8. What is the practical advice for avoiding an affair? (Don't go near, stay away.)

Is that the reaction of most people? (You like the honey, you like the ego boost, so the natural heart gets as close as possible thinking that danger can be avoided.)

Read Proverbs 5:9-10. How does this fate fit with the idea of an ego boost? (Just the opposite occurs. You lose your honor, your dignity, and your wealth.)

Is Solomon just making this up, or does this match your perception of reality?

Read Proverbs 5:15-18. This is an interesting word picture. What does water bring? (Life. Intercourse brings life. The idea is that sexual intercourse is something special between a husband and wife.)

My wife (I've been married over forty years), regularly points out women whose husbands left them when the wife was in her 50's. These men did not rejoice in the wife of their youth. Why not? (Generally, they find a more youthful wife. This is the "honey" aspect of things. The Bible says it turns to gall. Perhaps the gall comes when the new wife realizes she is married to an old man! Couples who have been married for a long time realize the enduring joy in the relationship - at least that is the goal.)

Prudence and Money

Read Proverbs 6:1-2. What is the problem? (You have made a performance promise for your friend or neighbor. A common example would be co-signing on a loan for a friend.)

Read Proverbs 6:3-5. What is the solution to this kind of problem? (Don't do it in the first place!)

What if you already did it? What is verse 3 telling us when it says "give your neighbor no rest?" (You need to hound the one who you agreed to support to make sure that he performs the obligation. The friend needs to be hounded to pay off the loan.)

What other solution does this text give us? (To act quickly. Be prompt about addressing this problem.)

Read Proverbs 6:6-7. Who is counseled to consider the ant? (The lazy person.)

Why does the text point out that the ant has no ruler? (The ant is a "self-starter." He does not need someone to urge him to work.)

Do you think these verses say anything about God's preferred form of government? (It tells us that success in work does not depend on government intervention.)

Read Proverbs 6:8. Why is it important for the ant to gather and store in summer and the harvest? (When the work is there, when it is available, the ant does what is needed.)

What is the lesson for us? (Don't procrastinate.)

Read Proverbs 6:9-11. I recently read a study that found that Americans do not sleep enough. Should those in America reading this text pat themselves on the back?

Why is sleep like an armed robber? (Laziness will deprive you of things - just like a robber. Despite the sleep statistics, this is a caution about putting off work. If you get into that mind set, then poverty is an issue.)

We just finished a study of James, where James has some cutting things to say about the rich. While Americans may not be getting enough sleep, a 2013 study shows that only 58.6% are working. What does this suggest about the source of poverty? (People need to look at the ant and to work when they can.)

Friend, we have covered a lot of ground! What is our lesson in one sentence? Listen to God, put His words in effect, and you will enjoy health, have a better marriage, and have more money. Will you take this path to success?

Next week: A Matter of Life and Death.
Discussion

blazingthru

A Matter of Life and Death
(Proverbs 6 & 7)

Introduction: This morning I was reading an article about an atheists' rally. At the rally, they were making fun of Jesus and comparing the atheist rights movement with the homosexual rights movement. The writer of the article pointed out that homosexual rallies do not make fun of heterosexual marriage. Why would atheists make fun of Christians? I've noticed that some former members of my church do not just leave, they attack the church and make fun of it. Why is that? I think it has to do with one of the points of our lesson: our religious instruction as a child stays with us. Those who leave the path of their instruction feel guilty, and so they have to make fun of their former beliefs to help "get over" them. Let's jump into our study of the Bible and see what new things we can discover about religious training!

Neck Commands

Read Proverbs 6:20-21 and Proverbs 7:3. What do you think it means for you to "fasten ... around your neck" and "bind ... on your fingers" the teachings of your parents?

Read Deuteronomy 6:6-9 and Proverbs 3:3. Let's take stock. We are told to keep right teaching in our heart, around our neck, tied to our hands (fingers) and foreheads and on our doors and gates. That is a lot of places. Do you see a pattern here? (The neck is the entry way to the body, and gates and doors are the entry way to your home. Your heart and forehead are symbols of what you think and your hands a symbol of what you do. I think the message is that what we allow in our homes and our minds, and what we think and do should all be run through the filter of God's word.)

What is the lesson if you are a parent trying to figure out how to raise your children? (We need to talk about God's will at every opportunity with our children. But, we need to be especially careful about the "entry points" of their learning.)

Have you ever had to compare two documents to see if they were different? Would that idea apply here? (I think that is one lesson here. You compare what you think and do, what you let in your home and your body, with what is written in God's word and taught to you by your parents. If you are not constantly comparing, it is easy to get off track.)

Imagine if you had such an upbringing and you were an atheist? (It would be constant turmoil.)

Read Proverbs 6:22-23. How will our parents' instruction, if we are willing, help us? (They protect us all the time by illuminating the path of life.)

That sounds like a romantic phrase, "illuminating the path of life." What does it mean, as a practical matter? (How many times do we fail to think things through? How many times do we miss critical facts? Our decisions determine the quality of our life, and the Proverbs tell us that what our parents taught us about God's word will help us to make fully informed decisions.)

Life as Bread

Read Proverbs 6:23-24. We now have an illustration of how childhood teaching (and discipline) can help us. What does a "smooth tongue" suggest? (Easy to listen to her.)

Read Proverbs 6:25. What else is a problem? (Her beauty, your lust.)

Read Proverbs 6:26. Bread is good! What is the problem with being a loaf of bread? (My version of the NIV says, "the prostitute reduces you to a loaf of bread." You are consumable, you get eaten.)

What do you think this means - comparing you to a loaf of bread? (Let's consider a couple of possibilities. First, immorality will consume you. It takes a lot away from you. Second, you are just being used. You meet a need for the time being, but after you are "consumed" the other person moves on.)

Read Proverbs 6:27-28. Would anyone think he could put fire in his lap and not be burned? (People who have affairs think they will be able to keep it private. It is a fun little secret. The Proverbs teach us that idea is silly. It will be discovered and you will get burned.)

Read Proverbs 6:30-35. These verses draw a parallel between stealing to eat and stealing "love." How do people react to these two different sins? (People understand why a person would steal to eat, but they do not understand adultery. If you steal food, there is a set penalty. If you steal a spouse, you open yourself to unlimited damages.)

Let's take a moment for a reality check here. Compare Deuteronomy 17:17 with 1 Kings 11:3-4. Is this the height of hypocrisy: a guy with 1,000 women to sleep with lectures those of us with one spouse to keep our eyes, minds and hands off anyone other than our one spouse? (We obviously have a substantial gap between our teacher's instruction and his performance. However, 1 Kings tells us that Solomon was led astray by his wives. Solomon knows what he is talking about.)

Read Matthew 23:2-3 and Matthew 7:15-18. How do you reconcile these two ideas? (I've often joked that hypocrisy is underrated. There are evil people who do evil things - you should avoid their teaching. At the same time, there are people whose lives do not match their teaching, but they are teaching the right thing. Solomon is giving us the right advice.)

The Analogy

Read Proverbs 7:10-14. Why would this woman mention "fellowship offerings?" (It suggests a veneer of religious practice. This is okay because we are religious.)

Read Proverbs 7:18-20. In our introduction we discussed religious training. Now we've been mired in adultery and prostitution for many verses. Is our 1,000 women King Solomon really spending this much space on the issue of marital unfaithfulness?

Look at these verses carefully, what argument is this woman making? (This will be fun and I can prove that it will not be dangerous.)

Read Proverbs 7:22-23. Does sex outside of marriage do liver damage? Is it really like committing suicide? (I think Solomon is talking about a bigger picture. He tells us that sin and false belief have real appeal. There is a pseudo logic, pseudo spirituality, and a promise of joy. But, it all leads to a painful death.)

Read Zechariah 5:6-8. To what is the iniquity of the people compared? (A woman.)

Read Zechariah 5:9-11. Why would you build a house for a basket? (This is obviously symbolic. The woman represents evil, and Babylon will be the host, the dwelling place, for evil.)

Read Proverbs 7:24-27. When you consider Zechariah, do you think these verses are addressing the issue of sex sin? ("A mighty throng" does not seem to fit our original story of a youth walking by the house of a prostitute (Proverbs 7:7-8). Instead, this sounds like sin in general.)

These verses start out with "pay attention" and end up saying this leads to death. Why would you have to urge someone to pay attention to something that would kill them?

How quick is death from sin? (Apparently not quick enough to automatically warrant attention. My son is a physician, and he says that when he is giving medical advice to those who have cancer they pay close attention and do what he recommends. On the other hand, those who have metabolic syndrome (high blood pressure, high cholesterol and high blood sugar leading to diabetes), pay no attention and rarely do what he suggests. Both lead to death, and diabetes can mean a painful death. Why the difference? (Those with cancer think they face death now, those with metabolic syndrom think they have a lot of time.)

We started out talking about instruction to our children. Is this part of the problem - that we are talking how sin causes death, and they are thinking "I'm not dying anytime soon?"

If I'm right, what we should be teaching our children? (We should still talk about the ultimate result of sin, but I think it is better to focus on the more immediate negative result of sin.)

Step back a moment. One of my complaints about my youth was the focus on sin rather than grace. Have I (we) just fallen into the failure of the prior generation? (I believe both messages are appropriate for our children: grace and judgment for those who refuse grace.)

Friend, will you take temptation in your life seriously? Will you take the religious instruction of your children seriously? These are life and death matters!

blazingthru

Divine Wisdom

(Proverbs 8 & 9)

Introduction: Does truth vary for each person? Someone recently wrote to me "there are many paths in life," to which I responded, "but only one leads to the right destination." Lawyers understand this intuitively. The "rule of law" means that you have only one law. Rulers cannot do anything they want. Neither can the ruled. Instead, we agree on what should be the rule of law for a country. You might disagree on how to apply it, but there can only be one law if we are going to have any sense of order. Our study in Proverbs this week is on wisdom. God operates based on the rule of law, and wisdom is a rule about how to live. Let's jump into our study of the Bible and find out more!

Wisdom's Call

Read Proverbs 8:1-3. To what is wisdom compared here? (At least two things: understanding and someone seeking attention.)

Wisdom calls from "the heights," "where the paths meet," and "the gates" and "the entrances" to the city. How should we understand these different geographic references? (These are all places where wisdom will find listeners. These are places people meet.)

Wisdom has hired a good public relations team! What is the theological message? (That humans are without excuse for missing the Biblical message of wisdom.)

Read Proverbs 8:4-5. What other excuse for not heeding the call of wisdom is eliminated here? (The argument that some are too stupid or too foolish to understand wisdom. It is truly available to all.)

Wisdom's Message

Read Proverbs 8:6-8. What kind of message does wisdom bring? (One which is true and just. It is never wicked, crooked or perverse.)

Does this allow for several versions of wisdom, some of which contradict each other?

Read Proverbs 8:9. What does this suggest is the reason why some would take different paths in life which are not wise? (A person who lacks discernment or knowledge could reject the message.)

I thought we just decided that even the foolish and the stupid could grasp wisdom? (The important part is "grasp." You have to want to understand God's wisdom. If you do, it is available to all.)

Wisdom's Payoff

Read Proverbs 8:10-11. Why do most people want silver, gold or rubies? (They represent security, dignity, and happiness.)

What does this teach us about wisdom? (That it brings these things (security, dignity and happiness)and more!)

Read Proverbs 8:18-21. How do you explain the relative poverty of Jesus and His disciples? (If Jesus had come as an earthy king, we might argue that He was not tempted in all the ways that we are tempted. See Hebrews 4:15. Jesus had many disadvantages. I think the general teaching of the Bible is that obedience to God brings prosperity.)

Read Proverbs 8:12. The Bible seems to say that wisdom is a cluster of virtues which include prudence, knowledge and discretion. The foolish lack prudence and discretion. Is it fair to say that the foolish can gain God's wisdom? (I think this is another suggestion that God's wisdom changes us. It takes away our foolishness. It includes "knowledge and discretion" and it is a close companion to prudence.)

Do you know a person who has wisdom: knowledge, discretion, and prudence? How is that person's life turning out?

Let's skip down to the next chapter for a moment. Read Proverbs 9:10-12. What is the connection between wisdom and reading our Bible?

How else will wisdom benefit us? (Not only will we have security, dignity and happiness, but we will live longer! Wisdom has a reward.)

The Source of Wisdom

Read Proverbs 8:13. Let's be honest for a moment. Aren't you attracted to evil (sin)? Why does James tell us "Resist the devil" ( James 4:7)and Hebrews refer to the "pleasures of sin" ( Hebrews 11:25) if sin were not attractive?

If you are attracted to some sins, then how can Solomon talk about "hat[ing] evil?"

Who is the "I" in "I hate pride and arrogance?" (If you look back to Proverbs 8:12 we see the "I" is wisdom. As we progress along the path of wisdom we will come to hate sin. Why? Because we will better understand its consequences.)

Notice that wisdom hates pride, arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech. How common are pride and arrogance?

Look again at the beginning of Proverbs 8:13 and Proverbs 9:10. Who is the source of all true wisdom?

(God. We need to go to the right source.)

Read Proverbs 8:22-23. What kind of pedigree does wisdom possess? (It was the first of God's works! It existed before God created the world.)

What does that suggest about the importance of having wisdom?

Read Proverbs 8:24-29. What is being described here? (God's Creation.)

What does the creation account have to do with wisdom?

(This reveals the clash of world views. Either you believe that the earth and all the creatures came about by chance and violence (natural selection) or you believe that an intelligent God, who has rules for everything, created us. Your choice between these two dramatically opposing claims impacts how you view the world.)

Read Proverbs 8:30-31. Who helped God at creation?

(Wisdom! Think about this. You can have some measure of God's wisdom - the kind of thinking that guided in the creation of the universe!)

Wisdom's Way

Read Proverbs 9:1-6. This paints a picture of wisdom as living in a big house, not being on a diet and having domestic help. Why?

(To live wisely is to live well. This tells us that wisdom is a way of life. It is not just an isolated decision, it is how we live a good life.)

Read Proverbs 9:7-8. Notice that we now transition to some very specific advice on how to apply wisdom. Who is a mocker?

(One who mocks God or mocks God's way.)

Consider this a moment. Are we not called to evangelize sinners? What is this telling us?

(I think we need to ask the Holy Spirit to give us discernment on applying this. Rebuking or correcting someone who wants to learn is one thing. Rebuking or correcting one who is hostile is a fool's errand - he will only hate you more. We should be smart, and not waste our effort on those who are determined to oppose us.)

Read Proverbs 9:9. Who is open to learning more wisdom?

(The wise and the righteous.)

Consider our last few verses. What does this suggest about how we should evangelize?

(We need to focus on those who want to come to God, who are curious to learn. I think churches should focus on those who visit. If someone who lives in the neighborhood visits, the church should have a plan to capture that person's name and contact information, and then follow-up. How about putting in place a way to follow-up on those who visit the web site of your church?)

Acquiring Wisdom

Read Proverbs 8:32-34. We decided earlier that God is the source of all true wisdom, and we find His wisdom in the Bible. What kind of effort should we put in to gain wisdom?

(It is a daily and focused effort.)

Read Proverbs 8:35-36. We discussed how wisdom brings material advantages. What is the ultimate payoff for making the effort to acquire wisdom?

(You enjoy God's favor. You find life, and avoid harm and death.)

Friend, would you like to improve your life? God's wisdom is the key. Will you decide to make it a daily goal to study your Bible to become more wise in God's ways? Why not make that commitment right now?

Next week: The Blessings of Righteousness.

blazingthru

The Coming of Jesus
(Luke 1-2)

Introduction: We start a new series studying the Gospel of Luke. I'm excited, and I hope you are too. Luke is a physician and a historian. He is an educated man who is writing for a non-Jewish audience. When you write, do you want to be clear? I know some writers are more concerned about you concluding that they are smart, rather than being clear. Luke wants to be clear. He suggests that he will bring a better account than any prior accounts of the life of Jesus. Let's dig into Luke and his clear teachings about our Lord Jesus!

1. The Background

1. Read Luke 1:1-2. How many have written an account of the life of Jesus? (Luke says that "many" undertook to make an account.)

1. Why do you think that happened? (Notice that Luke mentions "handed down" by "eyewitnesses" who believed in Jesus. The more alert followers of Jesus realized that it was important to pass down an accurate account from those who actually witnessed Jesus' life - and that would require writing it down.)

2. When Luke refers to those things "fulfilled," what do you think he means? (He believes that Jesus fulfilled the Old Testament prophecies about the Messiah. Thus, Luke believes that Jesus continues the message of the Old Testament.)
      3. Read Luke 2:3-4. If many have already written an account, why does Luke think he needs to write one? (When Luke uses the term "orderly account," that tells me he thinks prior accounts are missing something important - a proper order.)

1. How accurate an account is Luke making? (He is familiar with "many" other accounts. He says he has "carefully investigated everything from the beginning" so that those who read his account may have "certainty" about what happened. Sounds wonderful to me!)
        2. Read Acts 1:1-3. What does this tell us about Luke's writings? (He is the historian of the early church. He wrote his first volume (the Gospel of Luke) to record Jesus' teachings and actions until the time He was taken to heaven. The second volume is about the proof of Jesus' resurrection and the leadership of the Holy Spirit in the early church.)

1. Aside from Luke's assurance that he is being careful, accurate and orderly, why should we believe his accounts? (We see that he is convinced. He has been involved, he has investigated, and he believes that Jesus is the Messiah.)
        3. John the Baptist

1. Read Luke 1:5-7. We have a short biography of Zechariah and Elizabeth. Are they good people? (Yes.)

1. Are they happy people? (They are getting old and they missed the joy of having children.)
            2. Read Luke 1:8-13. Did Zechariah and Elizabeth care about not having children? (Yes. They have apparently been praying about this for a long time.)

1. How do you react when you are obedient to God, you have been asking for a long time for some good thing, and God does nothing? (Heaven kept a record of their prayers for a child.)

2. How did Zechariah come to be in the temple? (He was both assigned (with his group) to temple duty, and he was chosen by "lot" to serve inside the temple.)

1. Do you think this is unnecessary detail? (No. It shows how God used existing order and divine direction to put Zechariah and the angel together.)
              3. Read Luke 1:14-17. Study these words carefully, What is the angel saying about the future of their son, John?

1. Now think about all of the rebellious thoughts that Zechariah and Elizabeth could have had (and probably did have) against God. They were obedient, yet the desire of their lives was withheld from them. What lesson do we learn about prayers that seem unanswered? (God has something much greater in mind. We need to trust God's love for us!)
                2. Read Luke 1:18-20. What does this tell us about Zechariah's faith? (Look again at Luke 1:6. He is called "upright" and "blameless." Praise God for His generous view of us! When the prayer of Zechariah's life is about to be fulfilled, he expresses doubt!)

1. Consider Gabriel's reaction to Zechariah's doubt. What would you have said if you were Gabriel? (I would have been irritated with his doubt. "Remember those prayers of yours?" "I've come a long way." "How many angels have you talked to in the past?")

2. How did Gabriel "prove" his statement? (He describes his "credentials." Then he brings immediate proof of the credibility of his words.)
                3. Jesus

1. Read Luke 1:26-28. The sixth month of what? (We skipped reading a few verses. If you look at Luke 1:24 you will see that the story picks up in the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy. Gabriel is traveling to earth at least twice a year!)

1. How would you like this greeting?
                    2. Read Luke 1:29. Why would Mary be troubled? (If someone walked up to me with many compliments, I might wonder what that person wanted.)

3. Read Luke 1:30-33. Do you have high hopes for your children? Take just a few moments and consider what Mary learned about the future of her Son!

4. Read Luke 1:34. Of all the questions Mary might have asked about this amazing prophecy, why does she ask this one? (This one has the most immediate impact on her.)

1. Compare what Mary asked in Luke 1:34 with what Zachariah asked in Luke 1:18. Which is better? (Zachariah wanted a guarantee that Gabriel was telling the truth, whereas Mary wanted to understand the process.)
                      2. Read Luke 1:35-38. What do you think about Mary's faith?

3. Is God still in the business of selecting special children for special parents?
                      4. The Birth of Jesus

1. Read Luke 2:1-7. Let's consider what we have discussed so far. God arranged for Zachariah to be at the right place to meet the angel, God performed a miracle for the births of John and Jesus. Is God on vacation when Jesus is born? Why not also work out a room and bed in the inn?

1. What do you think Mary thought about the great contrast between her circumstances and the fact her child was the Messiah/King? (God has a strategy. I think that strategy has something to do with humans being able to identify with their incarnate God.)
                          2. Read Luke 2:8-15. Why did the angels appear to shepherds? Were these the prominent citizens of the day? (Read Genesis 46:34. It was not a top profession, at least not in Egypt. I think God's strategy is getting clearer.)

3. Read Luke 2:16-20. What was Mary pondering? Do you think it was that the arrival of her King was not exactly how she would have imagined it? Or, is she still having trouble adjusting to the idea that her Son is the Messiah/King, and these shepherds just confirmed that He was "Christ the Lord" ( Luke 2:11)?

4. Read Luke 2:25-27. How important is the Holy Spirit in the life of Simeon? (He was a Spirit-filled man, just as we should be.)

1. What do you think about the angels speaking to the shepherds and the Holy Spirit speaking to Simeon? (This is heaven's coordinated effort.)
                            2. Read Luke 2:28-33. Why were Mary and Joseph amazed at Simeon's statement? (This shows they still had not completely grasped the nature of their Son.)

1. What do you think about his reference to the Gentiles? (Good news for us!)

2. Simeon follows the shepherds in meeting Jesus. Why not let the Spirit-filled guy who was waiting for Jesus be first? (More of God's strategy? Consider Matthew 9:13.)
                              3. Friend, what do you think of a God who gives up so much to be with us? When I asked you to consider God's strategy, was it a strategy to benefit God? Of course not. What about deciding today to adopt a strategy of life that will benefit others?

blazingthru

Baptism and Temptations
(Luke 3 & 4)

Introduction: Have you wondered how you should share the gospel with those around you? Jesus calls us to tell others about Him, but exactly how is a challenge. Hold on to your hat as we study the approach of John the Baptist! How do you deal with temptation in your life? We are also going to look at how Jesus and the Holy Spirit teamed up to defeat Satan's temptations. Let's dig into our study of Luke!

1. John the Baptist

1. Read Luke 3:1-3. What is unique about this introduction regarding the time and location that John the Baptist began his ministry? (Remember that Luke told us he intended to write an "orderly account" ( Luke 1:3)? Luke is being very clear about when and where John began his work.)

2. Read Luke 3:4-6. Why bring Isaiah into this? (Luke shows us that John is the fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy - a prophecy about the preparation for the coming of the Messiah.)

3. Read Luke 3:7-9. Have you heard the phrase "seeker friendly?" What do you think about an outreach that has this kind of tone and feel?

1. For those of you who are familiar with this reference, does this sound like a Westboro Baptist approach?

2. Does John have righteousness by faith confused? He says "produce fruit in keeping with repentance." Why not "repent and be saved by grace?"

3. What does John say about the value of being children of Abraham? (It is as valuable as being a rock.)

4. What accounts for all of these insults? (Notice something very important here. John is not reaching out to traditional sinners. He is not seeking the "unchurched." This is his approach to those who believe they are saved. These are people who are proud of their righteousness. This is an address to those who have been in the church a very long time - and are confident of their proper living.)
      5. Read Luke 3:10-11. How does this approach work? (Well! The crowd wants to know how they should change.)

Consider John's response. Again he fails to mention grace, he plunges right into works. Why?
        1. Look again at Luke 3:8. Is this a missed opportunity to share grace? (What I see is an assumption of righteousness by the people, and John says, "Your works do not match your claims. You do not act like you repented.")
        2. Read Luke 3:12-14. Wait a minute! These don't sound like those confident in their relationship with God. Are my previous assumptions wrong? (It says tax collectors "also came" - which indicates they are not part of the original audience.)

1. Apply this kind of advice to your life. Whatever is your sin, whatever is your selfishness, whatever is your failing, I tell you "Stop it right now. Do what is right." What is your reaction - assuming that you want to be saved?
          2. Read again Luke 3:4. What is John the Baptist's role in life? (To prepare people for Jesus.)

1. How do you think John is doing in his assigned role? (It is a universal truth that you must be willing to admit your sins if you are going to turn away. You must admit your inability to overcome sin for you to desire God's grace. All of these insults and calls to works makes perfect sense to prepare for the One who gives us grace! Praise God!)

2. How, then, should we approach sinners? (It depends! If they believe they are righteous, then the "viper" approach may be right. If they believe they are righteous, then the "how do your works line up with your faith" approach may work. If they are broken sinners, "a bruised reed He will not break, a smoldering wick He will not snuff out." Isaiah 42:3. Ask the Holy Spirit to give you wisdom.)
          3. Jesus

1. Read Luke 3:15-17. How did John compare himself to Jesus? (Jesus was more powerful.)

1. What does John mean when he says Jesus will "baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire?" (Clearly, Jesus was introducing the people to the Holy Spirit in power. "Fire" is clarified in Luke 3:17 to mean that Jesus is also bringing judgment.)
              2. Read Luke 3:21-22. Why would Jesus get baptized? (Recall that last week we discussed why Jesus had no hotel room, why shepherds greeted Him - all things that seemed beneath a King. I think that all of this, including His baptism, says to humans "I am one of you.")

1. Why do you think the Holy Spirit took the form of a dove? Why not fire? (Don't doves seem peaceful? This seems to be a picture of quiet assurance.)

2. What does heaven say about Jesus? (He is God. He is the "Son.")
              3. The Challenge

1. Read Luke 4:1-2. Why would the Holy Spirit lead Jesus into the area where He faced temptation? Isn't this just the opposite ofthe Lord's prayer ( Luke 11:4)"lead us not into temptation?"

2. Read Luke 4:3-4. How long do you think Satan and his confederates spent planning this temptation?

1. How skillful is this temptation?

2. How would you compare it to Genesis 3:1-4? (I think the approach to Eve was much more cunning than the rather primitive "Prove you are God by creating bread.")

3. If you agree with me, why is Satan "off his game?" Meaning that he is below his normal performance standards. (This is what I think the Holy Spirit is doing - bringing Jesus to Satan before Satan is fully ready. Satan came to Eve in his own time. The Holy Spirit chose the time for Jesus to meet Satan's temptation.)
                  4. Read Luke 4:5-8. What was Jesus' mission on earth? (Part of it was to win back the world from Satan.)

1. What, then, is the nature of this temptation? (To take a short-cut that would avoid all of the pain and suffering.)

2. How would Satan use that temptation in your life?
                    3. Read Luke 4:9-12. How did Jesus respond to every temptation? (He cited the Bible.)

1. What is unique about this temptation? (Satan quotes the Bible!)

1. What is the lesson for us? (Temptation may come in a religious context. We should be students of the Bible so that we can better understand God's will.)
                        2. Did you notice that this temptation started just like the first temptation: "If you are the Son of God." What is Satan's strategy? (He challenged Jesus to prove His worth, to prove His claim.)

1. Would it be fair to say this is an appeal to pride? If you say, "yes," what is the appeal in Genesis 3:5? (It seems very similar - an appeal to Eve's pride. Her desire to be like God.)

2. If we see a pattern here, what temptation does Satan bring to you that appeals to your pride?
                        3. Read Luke 4:13. Is Satan permanently defeated? (No.)

1. For what is Satan waiting? ("An opportune time." This adds further evidence for my thinking that the Holy Spirit brought the fight to Satan before Satan was ready. But, it is also a warning to us that Satan's confederates will tempt us when we are most vulnerable.)
                          2. Read Luke 4:14. What is consistent through all of these temptations? (Jesus is filled with the Holy Spirit!)

3. Friend, do you want to have victory over the sins in your life? Pray for the Holy Spirit to come in power and thank Jesus for His victory over temptation. His perfect life and sacrifice allow us, by grace, to become righteous. Why not repent, ask for the Holy Spirt, and accept Jesus' grace right now?

blazingthru

Who Is Jesus Christ?

(Luke 4,7 & 9)

Introduction: The debate continues as to the nature of Jesus. Was He merely a great man, a good prophet, or was He fully God and fully man? Was He the Messiah, the Son of God? Luke, we decided, is fully convinced of what he is writing. So, far, he recorded that Gabriel and the angels said Jesus was God. Let's dive in and continue to explore what Luke records that Jesus said about Himself!

Nazareth

Read Luke 4:14-15. What kind of reputation does Jesus enjoy?

("Everyone praised Him.")

Read Luke 4:16-21. What does Jesus mean when He says "this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing?"

(This comes from Isaiah 61:1-2 and Isaiah 42:7. These are prophecies about freedom and healing. This suggests that Jesus is going to release and heal the Jewish people, meaning He is the Messiah.)

Read Luke 4:22. How did the people react?

(It seems they were very impressed, but then they said, "Wait a minute, isn't this Joseph's son, the guy who worked in the carpentry shop?")

Read Luke 4:23. Is Jesus reading their minds? (Yes.)

What are they thinking? (Right after the "Wait a minute," they recall the stories about Jesus' miracles, and so they think that a miracle or two will help confirm that they should consider His claim to be the Messiah.)

Read Luke 4:24-27. Is Jesus going to perform a miracle for them? (No!)

Why not? (First, Jesus says they will not accept Him because they know He grew up there. Second, He says that God has a practice of helping those who are not Jewish, when at the same time Jews are in need.)

Put yourself in the place of the Jews of Nazareth. How would you react to this? (I would be insulted. Why not give me a chance to believe? Why assume I will not, and then insult me by saying God helps non-Jews.)

Read Luke 4:28-29. Would you get that mad? (No. I would simply be insulted - hardly mad enough to try to kill Jesus.)

Was Jesus raised in a town filled with lunatics - people with an anger management problem? Or, can you explain this behavior? (Moses told them in Leviticus 24:16 that those engaged in blasphemy should be put to death. This proves our understanding of what Jesus was saying in the synagogue. They understood Him to claim to be the Messiah - the coming God who would save them. Thus, killing Jesus (if He was not the Messiah) was required by Moses. Luke shows us both what Jesus said and how the crowd understood it.)

Read Luke 4:30. How do you walk through a crowd that wants to kill you? Isn't the best approach to start running as fast as you can? (Luke wants us to know that something extraordinary happened. Jesus walked through the crowd like He was invisible.)

What does this say about Jesus? (He said He was the Messiah, and God protected Him thereafter.)

Demon

Read Luke 4:31-34. Why does Luke record the statement of the demon? (The fallen angels with Satan know Jesus, and they know He is "the Holy One of God.)

What do demons think Jesus has in mind for them? (Destruction.)

Read Luke 4:35-37. Why didn't the people remark about what the demon said about Jesus? (They were not crediting the witness of demons, but Luke has now told us that both unfallen angels ( Luke 2:9-13)and fallen angels testify that Jesus is God.)

Disciples

Read Luke 9:18? Put yourself in Jesus' place. Why would you ask this? (A central part of Jesus' mission was to let the people know that He was the Messiah. He was taking a survey on His progress.)

Read Luke 9:19. Is this an encouraging response? (They think Jesus is special, but not the Messiah.)

Read Luke 9:20-21. Peter gets the answer exactly right. Why would Jesus tell them not to tell the very thing that Jesus needs to have known? (Read Luke 9:22. Robertson's New Testament Word Pictures tells us that this occurred after the feeding of the 5,000, where the people tried to make Jesus King ( John 6:15). Luke 9:22 reveals that Jesus has a time-line. Jesus had to preserve a careful balance to maintain His timing - to do things that would cause people to later believe He was the Messiah, but at the same time avoid starting a revolution right now.)

Read Luke 9:23-27. If the crowd wants to make Jesus King, and Jesus is concerned about this, what do you think the disciples want?

How does this series of verses speak to the thoughts of the disciples? (No doubt they wanted Jesus to declare as King more than any of the others. But, Jesus is telling them this is a much more complicated question - that glory comes much later. First, is sacrifice.)

Notice the very peculiar thing that Jesus says in Luke 9:27. Is Jesus saying that His Second Coming will be in their lifetime? We know that did not happen.

John the Baptist

Read Luke 7:17-20. Why would John the Baptist ask such a thing? (The Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary points out that John the Baptist had been imprisoned for a year. Re-read Luke 3:4-5. No doubt John wondered why Jesus had not done these dramatic things - and freed him from prison while He was doing it. This created doubt.)

What about you, do you sometimes doubt when things are not going as you think they should? (Consider that Jesus said about John "there is no one greater than John." Luke 7:28.)

Read Luke 7:21-23. What do you think about Jesus' answer? Does He give John an answer? (I think He gives John an answer without specifically saying that He is the Messiah. He encourages John to "not fall away," not to become discouraged because Jesus is not doing everything John expected.)

Transfiguration

Read Luke 9:28-31. Who are these people? (Moses was raised from the dead (Jude 9) and Elijah was taken to heaven while he was still alive ( 2 Kings 2:11). These are the heavenly representatives of those who will be resurrected from the dead, and those who will be translated alive at the Second Coming.)

What is the topic of their discussion? (Jesus returning to heaven! They missed Him and no doubt thought Jesus was anxious to return.)

Read Luke 9:32. What have Peter, John and James seen? (Re-read Luke 9:27-28. We now see that Jesus' prediction that "some who are standing here" will "see the kingdom of God" took place eight days later! Jesus was not talking about His Second Coming.)

Read Luke 9:33-34. Why is Peter speaking nonsense? What happened while he was speaking? (Peter is overwhelmed, thinks he needs to say something, but does not know what to say. In the meantime a cloud surrounds them and it is very scary time.)

Read Luke 9:35-36. Who is Jesus? (Luke records that God said Jesus is His Son!)

Friend, what do you say about Jesus? We have the witness of the Old Testament about a coming Messiah. We have the witness of the angels, both those who did not sin and those who did. We have Jesus' statement that He is the fulfillment of prophecy, and we have God's affirmation that Jesus is His Son. Luke wants us to be absolutely clear on his belief that Jesus is the Son of God. How about you, will you affirm your faith that Jesus is God?

blazingthru

Son of David
(Matthew 1-2)

Introduction: We start a new series about the Gospel of Matthew. Matthew was a disciple of Jesus who had been a tax collector for the Romans - a profession despised by the Jews. What a miraculous turn-around that Matthew should write one of the accounts of Jesus! What an interesting background for Matthew's writing. Let's dive into our study and learn more!

1. Background

1. Read Matthew 9:9. What skills does a tax collector bring to Jesus' mission?

(Tax collectors "bid" to collect the taxes for a certain region. Matthew's profit was the difference between what he paid the Romans for the right to collect taxes and the amount he collected. This requires someone who keeps careful records, has initiative and intelligence.)​
    1. Read Matthew 9:10-11. Why would the Pharisees ask this question of the disciples, rather than Jesus?
    • (They probably thought the disciples had the same low view of tax collectors as they did. This teaches us something else about Matthew, he didn't care what others thought about him - or at least he cared less than he cared about having money.)

1. If Matthew cared so much about money, why did he leave his tax collector's booth and follow Jesus? (Apparently, he had decided it was time for a change. Are you ready for change?)

1. The Genealogy of Jesus

1. Quickly scan Matthew 1:1-16. Put yourself in Matthew's place, how would you start a book about Jesus? Would you want it to be dull and tedious?(That would not be my goal. But, since Matthew was already detail oriented, that would be a part of how he normally looked at things. This is obviously a lot of detail.)

2. Read Matthew 1:1. Why would Matthew decide to start out naming these two men as being in Jesus' ancestry? (If, like Matthew, you have a bad background, you might decide to start out showing that Jesus has a great background. Matthew links Jesus to the two most prominent men in Jewish history. Abraham is the great man of righteousness and David is the great warrior king.)

1. Read Isaiah 11:1-2. Who is Jesse? ( Matthew 1:6 reveals Jesse is the "father of King David.")

1. Matthew's readers would be familiar with Isaiah 11. What is the importance of this link to King David? (Isaiah 11 is a prophecy about the coming Messiah.)

2. Read Revelation 5:5. What does this reveal about the preaching of the disciples? (They linked the triumphant Jesus to King David.)

2. Read Acts 2:29-33. Peter ( Acts 2:14) made this statement on Pentecost. What does this tell us about the Spirit-directed understanding of Jesus' disciples? (Jesus fulfills the prophecies pointing to the Messiah.)

3. Read Genesis 12:1-3. Explain the last part of this promise to Abraham? (This is a promise that the Messiah will come through Abraham. Matthew is not just connecting Jesus with important people in Jewish history, he begins his argument by making these links to show that Jesus is the Messiah.)

3. We won't go through all of the detail that Matthew lays out to show the human ancestry of Jesus, but does this detail make sense for a man who is used to keeping meticulous records? (Yes. Matthew provides proof to those who doubt the bona fides of Jesus' heritage. Let's peek at a couple of interesting points in this detailed proof.)

1. Read Matthew 1:3 and Matthew 1:5-6. We see three women listed, Tamar, Rahab and "Uriah's wife." What do you know about these three women? (Genesis 38 reveals that Tamar posed as a prostitute. Joshua 6 discloses that Rahab was a prostitute. 2 Samuel 11 tells us that Bathsheba (Uriah's wife) was involved in a sex scandal with King David.)

2. Matthew does not need to name these three women. Since he is trying to show Jesus' bona fides, why would he add them to Jesus' human history? (Recall that Matthew has a dubious background. Matthew probably added them to show that Jesus could sympathize with someone like him and the rest of us sinners.)

4. Read Matthew 1:17. Consider how the Jews were doing during those three periods of time. If Abraham and David represented the time the nation was moving towards greatness, what about the next two periods? (The nation is not doing well.)

1. What point is Matthew making about Jesus? (By pointing to the downhill slide of Jewish fortunes, Matthew underscores the need for Jesus, for a Messiah to rescue them.)

2. Birth of Jesus

1. Read Matthew 1:18-19. What amazing fact does Matthew reveal? (Jesus not only has a fabulous human ancestry, but Jesus is also God. The Holy Spirit is His "Father.")

1. Why add the part about Joseph's thoughts of a quiet divorce? (It shows that Joseph is a good man, and it makes Matthew think that Jesus has something in common with him - a background which others will question.)

2. Read Matthew 1:20-21. What claim is Matthew making about Jesus? (Jesus, fully man and fully God, will save His people from their sins. This is the Messiah. We now have an additional witness to the angelic testimony.)

3. Read Matthew 1:22-23. Matthew faces a real challenge. A man with an unsavory background is writing a book about a man who was crucified by the Roman authorities. His story is that Jesus was born unlike any other person in history. Credibility is Matthew's greatest problem. How does he try to meet that challenge? (Once again, he directs the attention of his readers to a Messianic prophecy of Isaiah, specifically Isaiah 7:14.)

1. Would this convince you? (Put yourself in the place of Matthew's Jewish audience. He shows Jesus' genealogical bona fides, and He links Jesus to the Messianic prophecies that these people have already accepted. Virgin birth is something Isaiah has already told them to expect - so this is not a story too fantastic for his audience.)

4. Read Matthew 2:1-2. What kind of people are these Magi? (Commentators tell us that they were intellectuals "from the east" who studied science and the movements of the stars. King Herod gave them an audience which shows that he considered them worthy of his time.)

1. Why would Matthew add this detail for us? (He wants us to know that scientists saw something in the heavens that pointed to the birth of Jesus. Do you see how Matthew draws all of the strings of proof together to convince us that Jesus is the Messiah?)

5. Read Matthew 2:3. What is important about the nature of this disturbance? (Everyone, from the King on down, gave credence to the report of the Magi. This is not an incredible story.)

6. Read Matthew 2:4-7. On what basis is King Herod convinced that the Messiah has been born? (Credible scientists have discovered a star pointing toward Jesus. The religious teachers confirm, based on prophetic scripture, that the Messiah is to be born in Bethlehem. The message to us is that if the King and the scientists believed, you should believe.)

7. Read Matthew 2:9-13. If you were a lawyer arguing evidence to a jury about who Jesus is, what are the most important points from these last verses that you would argue? (A "star" points to the place where Jesus is born. The magi are so certain of their finding that they worship Jesus and give Him valuable gifts. This shows they understood Jesus to be a someone to worship. Supernatural forces save Jesus from danger, since Herod believes the story so thoroughly, that he is willing to commit murder.)

8. Read Matthew 2:14-18. We see again that Scripture points to Jesus and that Herod is convinced that Jesus is the Messiah. In the context of the murders that resulted, what new element is introduced here? (Who suggests evil to Herod? There are supernatural forces opposed to Jesus. If you believe in a controversy between good and evil, evil knows that Jesus is the Messiah who must be destroyed.)

9. Friend, how about you? Are you convinced by Matthew that Jesus is the Messiah? Why not accept Him as your Savior right now?

3. Next week: The Ministry Begins.

blazingthru

The Ministry Begins
(Matthew 3-4)

Introduction: How would you like Jesus to say that there "is no one greater" than you? Not likely, you say? Our study this week is about someone for whom this is true. Jesus said about John the Baptist, "among those born of women there is no one greater than John." Let' jump into our study of Matthew and see what lessons Matthew has for us through John the Baptist!

1. Repent

1. Read Matthew 3:1-2. What did John mean when he said, "the kingdom of heaven is near?" (He could not have been talking about the end of time, otherwise he would be a false prophet. Given the context, he was talking about heaven coming to earth in the form of Jesus.)

1. I can understand "repent" in the context of the end time judgment and the righteous going to heaven, but how does it make sense in the context of Jesus coming to earth?

2. Read Matthew 3:3 and Isaiah 40:3-4. How many persons are referred to in Matthew 3:3 (not including Isaiah)? (John the Baptist, he is the "voice of one." Jesus is "the Lord." His listeners are those making the paths straight.)

1. What light does this shed on the call to repent because Jesus is coming? (The best way to prepare for Jesus is to decide the time has come for change. The decision to do something different makes it easier for Jesus' message to enter your heart (make the paths for Jesus straight and level).

3. Read Matthew 3:4. Camel hair coats are desirable today. Is the message that John is a well-dressed guy who eats an organic diet? (Read 2 Kings 1:8 and Zechariah 13:4. These texts tell us that John was wearing the traditional garb for a prophet. Once again, we see Matthew adding to the bona fides of Jesus through John's testimony.)

4. Read Matthew 3:5-8. Why does John not call for the religious leaders to be baptized, but rather calls for them to "produce fruit in keeping with repentance?" (This is consistent with the idea we discussed earlier, that coming to Jesus involves a decision that you need to change. John calls them "vipers," warns of an approaching wrath, and says you need to change.)

5. Read Matthew 3:9-10. What does God expect of us? (He is not satisfied with our religious affiliation. He wants us to be productive Christians. These religious leaders cannot rest on their relationship to Abraham. They must understand that change is needed.)

1. Does the reference to producing fruit mean that works are essential to salvation? (Let's discuss that next.)

2. Baptism

1. Re-read Matthew 3:6 and read Matthew 3:11. Notice that sin confession and baptism go together. Why is that?

2. Read Colossians 2:11-12. What is the Christian equivalent of circumcision? (Baptism.)

3. Read Colossians 2:13-15. When John speaks of repentance and baptism, what is his goal? I asked earlier, "why do confession and baptism go together?" (It is because they are the new circumcision, they are your acceptance of grace, your participation with Jesus in His death and resurrection!)

4. Have you heard of products that are "ready" for the next level of technology: "cable-ready" or "digital ready," to use old examples? When John said that he was baptizing to make the way easier for Jesus, I think he was talking about making the people ready for grace. What do you think?

5. Have you heard Christians say that you must be sure that every sin is confessed so that you can be saved? Do you think that salvation turns on ferreting out every sin and confessing it? Does that strike you as a form of works - works that make it important to have a good memory?

1. Would a sensitivity to the Holy Spirit make a good memory unnecessary?

6. Look again at what John says to the religious leaders who he calls "vipers." Re-read Matthew 3:7-10. John calls what must be bad people to "produce fruit in keeping with repentance." That seems like a call for works, but given what we have just studied, what does it seem to mean now? (It sounds like an attitude recognizing the need for change and a willingness to accept grace. It is someone who is open to understanding that baptism is the way in which we die for our sins and rise to new life.)

7. Let's go back and re-read Colossians 2:11. What does it mean to put off the sinful nature? (Circumcision removed some skin. Thus, it was symbolic of putting off the sinful nature. Accepting grace should result in a changed nature. To better understand this, read Colossians 3.)

8. Read Matthew 3:13-15. Is John right that Jesus should be baptizing him instead of the other way around?

1. If so, why is it that Jesus has John baptize Him? Specifically, what does Jesus mean by "it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness?" (This is the bridge between the sanctuary service, in which the killing of an animal for the remission of sin pointed to Jesus, and the new system of remission of sin through baptism. In the sanctuary system an animal represented Jesus. In the system of grace, Jesus represents us. Recall thatColossians 2:11-12 tells us that we die and are raised "with Him" when we are baptized? In this way Jesus' words that what He is doing "is proper ... to fulfill all righteousness" makes sense.)

9. Read Matthew 3:16-17. Why do you think Matthew includes this event in his story? (The entire Godhead is together, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and God the Father. Have any doubt about the divinity of Jesus? Both God the Father and the Holy Spirit endorse Him and what He is doing!)

3. The Temptation

1. Skim Matthew 4:1-7 and read Matthew 4:3 and Matthew 4:6. On what point does Satan challenge Jesus? (Satan challenges whether Jesus is the "Son of God.")

2. Re-read Matthew 3:17. What does this teach us about our God and our temptations? (God the Father specifically strengthens Jesus on the very point on which Satan attacks.)

1. If you are willing, do you think God will do any less for you?

3. Read Matthew 4:8-10. Why didn't Satan tempt Jesus to steal, curse, slander or covet? (Because those are not the central issue in the life of a Christian. The central issue is whether you trust God. The history of the Jewish people was trusting idols or other nations and not trusting God. That centrality of that issue has not changed today.)

4. Ministry

1. Read Matthew 4:12 and Matthew 4:17. Jesus has taken over the message of John the Baptist. Why did God allow John's message to be cut short? Didn't John still have productive work to do? (This is the point we just discussed. The central issue in our life is whether we will trust God.)

2. Read Matthew 4:18-22. Instead of choosing new disciples, why not rescue John - since there was no one better than him and he was an experienced preacher? (Logic says to use John. But, the life of faith says that we will accept God's decisions in our life.)

1. Notice that Jesus calls specific people. What does that mean to you?

3. Read Matthew 4:23-25. How can you duplicate Jesus' method of evangelism? Or, is that not possible? (Re-read Matthew 3:5. John the Baptist did not need to perform miracles to attract people to him. We need to ask the Holy Spirit to show us what we should do to bring people into our life to share the message.)

1. Why didn't John perform miracles? (Once again, this has to do with the sovereignty of God. We need to be grateful for the opportunities that we are given to advance the gospel. Not everyone advances the gospel in the same way.)

4. Friend, do you need change in your life? Are you willing to trust God's direction for your life? Why not repent right now and open your heart to the changes God wants in your life?

5. Next week: The Sermon on the Mount.

blazingthru

The Sermon on the Mount
(Matthew 5)

Introduction: The Sermon on the Mount is an astonishing presentation. However, there are varied views on it. Some think it is the "rule book" for when we are in heaven - and therefore it is not for us now. Others think it is intended to make us conclude that God's standard is impossible, and thus we are driven to rely on grace. Some consider it a challenge for them to bring their righteous works to a higher level. My view is that the Sermon on the Mount shows us that grace is not just a matter of salvation, but is a lifestyle. God calls on us to depend on His strength in all things, and that includes how we live. Let's plunge into this challenging study and learn more!

1. A Positive Future

1. Read Matthew 5:3-6. Do you want to be in any of these categories: poor, mourning, meek, hungry or thirsting? (No one wants to be any of these.)

1. What is Jesus saying about people who are in these categories? (They will be blessed by God and their situation will turn out well.)

2. Has anyone ever told you that you should aspire to be in one of these categories? (I've been told that I should want to be in these categories because they are blessed and end up with good things. I have my doubts that these are goals - other than desiring righteousness. We recently studied that we should aim to be raised in the "first resurrection" - which is the righteous dead. That does not mean I should desire to be dead! Rather, this seems to be a message of mercy for those who find themselves in difficult situations.)

2. Read Matthew 5:7-9. Would you like to be any of these? (I would. It is a virtue to be merciful, pure in heart, or a peacemaker.)

1. What positive things do we learn about their future? (Good things will happen to them.)

2. Step back a moment. We have reviewed a list of things we would generally not want to be, and a list of things we would like to be. What is the good news about both lists? (That good things await them.)

3. Read Matthew 5:10-12. We again have a list of things we would not like to have happen to us. What positive point does Jesus make about finding ourselves in this situation? (Again, Jesus promises a good outcome. He adds that we are not alone. Special people with a close relationship with God (prophets) found themselves in the same situation. The point is that we are not alone if these things happen to us.)

2. A Positive Law

1. Read Matthew 5:13-16. What does God want us to do? (He wants us to bring praise and glory to Him by doing good works.)

1. What does the reference to worthless salt suggest to us? (If we do not bring praise and glory to God, we are not doing the task given to us.)

2. Read Matthew 5:17. What is Jesus' mission with regard to the law? (To fulfill it!)

1. Is this a message of grace? (Yes! Jesus lived, died and was resurrected so that we can accept His completed work on our behalf.)

2. What, then, does Jesus mean that He is not abolishing the law? (Grace does not logically diminish the law. Rather, it shows how important it is. If the rule of law did not matter, God would have simply abolished the law and saved Himself a lot of pain.)

3. Read Matthew 5:18-19. Why would people who not only break the law, but teach others to break it, be in the Kingdom of Heaven? (Grace! But, friend, do you want to have a poor reputation for all of eternity? This shows that those who are opposed to keeping the law do not understand the full picture of grace. They do not understand the importance of bringing glory and praise to God by how we live.)

4. Read Matthew 5:20. These are the top religious leaders of the time. How can our righteousness surpass theirs? Why is that even a goal? (The person who accepts by grace the righteousness of Jesus, will always be more righteous than the most religious person who is working for righteousness. Working for salvation is a fool's errand. It is trusting in self (just like those who worship idols), rather than trusting in God.)

3. The Law on Steroids?

1. Read Matthew 5:21-22 and Matthew 5:27-28. Contemplate these verses for a few minutes. What is Jesus warning us against that seems to go beyond what the Ten Commandments require? (Jesus is talking about our mind, our attitude. Anger, angry words, resentment, and lust are all states of mind.)

1. Read Romans 8:5-8. Does this make sense to you - that the way in which you set your mind determines how you will act? (I think this is Jesus' point. Be careful of your thoughts if you want to avoid getting into trouble with sin.)

1. If I'm right, what does this say about the nature of anger, lust and harsh words? (I doubt that appreciating beautiful women or getting upset are adultery or murder. Instead, I think Jesus is teaching us that getting angry to the extent of being willing to kill, and willing thoughts about committing adultery, are sins. If we are willing to commit the sin, but lack the opportunity, we do not get a pass on the sin.)

2. Let's go back and pick up some verses we skipped. Read Matthew 5:23-26. What is the overall counsel here? How would you summarize this in one line? (Do your best to live in peace with others.)

1. How many times do you hear Christians say that they have difficulty with others, they are victims, because of their religious beliefs? (No doubt pagans give Christians problems at times. However, most of the people I hear say this do not try to live in peace with others.)

3. Read Matthew 5:29-30. Does this make any sense to you? Jesus just told us that thinking about something was the same as committing the sin. How would removing your eye or your hand stop your brain from sinning? (It will not. I once had a class member who was losing his sight tell me that did not keep him from problems with lust. I think Jesus wants to get our attention about the importance of His teaching. No doubt we all agree that losing some part of our body is better than missing out on heaven.)

4. Law of Revenge

1. Read Matthew 5:38-41. What does Jesus mean when He says "You have heard that it was said?" (The law of revenge is written three times as an explicit instruction from God. See Exodus 20:22and Exodus 21:23-25; Leviticus 24:17-20; and, Deuteronomy 19:21.)

2. Re-read Matthew 5:39 and John 18:22-23. Why did Jesus not follow His own advice? Instead of turning His other cheek, He raised a legal challenge to being slapped!

3. Skim Matthew 18:23-35 and Read Matthew 18:32-34. Is the law of revenge a Biblical principle? (Yes! The master turned the unforgiving servant over to be tortured. But, payback is not for us. Jesus did not return the slap when He was slapped. We need to leave payback to God. God has forgiven us so much, how can we fail to forgive those who have harmed us?)

1. Read Psalms 84:5. Jesus is teaching us grace as a lifestyle. Just as we depend on Jesus for our salvation, so we should depend on God to take revenge on those who have harmed us.)

2. Read Romans 12:19. What promise does Paul share with us about the law of revenge?

3. Have you tried payback (revenge) in the past? How did that work out? (I'll bet it did not work out well. It did not make you feel better and it prolonged the controversy. Just as grace gives you peace about your salvation, so grace as a lifestyle gives you peace in life.)

4. Friend, I think the Sermon on the Mount is a call to trust God to take care of us and solve the difficult problems in life. Will you decide, right now, to rely on the strength of God and make grace your lifestyle?

5. Next week: "Get Up and Walk!" Faith and Healing.

blazingthru

"Get Up and Walk!" Faith and Healing
(Matthew 8 & 9)

Introduction: Last week we studied Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. This week we look at a series of healings and miracles that give us a greater insight into Jesus' ministry and strengthen Matthew's argument that Jesus is the Messiah. Let's dive into our study of the Bible and learn more about our glorious Lord!

1. Leper

1. Read Matthew 7:28-8:1. When we studied the Sermon on the Mount, you might have concluded that Jesus posed a real challenge on how to live. What have the crowds concluded? (They follow Jesus in large numbers. They must not have been discouraged.)

1. What is the logical conclusion regarding how they understood His teaching? (As you will recall, I pointed out the grace aspects of Jesus' sermon. Certainly the people must not have understood that Jesus was calling them to an impossible standard, otherwise they would not have continued to follow Him in large numbers. Their contemporary understanding should shape our view of His message.)

2. Matthew tells us that Jesus was different in that He taught "as one who had authority." Is there some doubt about His authority? (Yes. Jesus was new to them.)

1. What does this teach us about teaching the Bible? (Obviously, we are not Jesus. But, the point is that the Bible is not simply something to be debated for our amusement, it contains guidance for life that we must seek to understand.)

2. Read Matthew 8:2-3. Is this the prayer all of us should give when we are sick? Or, should we assume that Jesus is willing?

3. Read Matthew 8:4. Why would Jesus tell this fellow not to give glory to God? Why tell him to hide his light? Isn't this contrary toMatthew 5:14-16? (This reveals that healing this leper was not best for Jesus' ministry. Thus the question, "If you are willing," was exactly right. Jesus wants to heal us, and even if it might create problems He will do it. But, we see that Jesus must keep in mind the big picture of the movement of His kingdom. This also teaches us to use discretion at times when it comes to sharing the gospel.)

2. Centurion

1. Read Matthew 8:5-9. Why should this centurion tell Jesus how He should heal? (Read Acts 10:28. Peter is speaking in this verse to Cornelius a Roman centurion. The centurion understood the problems Jesus might have in coming to his home, so he tries to limit the adverse impact of his request.)

2. Read Matthew 8:13. Re-read Matthew 8:3 and read Leviticus 13:45-46. We see from the centurion story that Jesus could heal at a distance. Why would He touch the leper - someone who was supposed to stay away from other people? (Both the leper and the Roman centurion would be unpopular with the Jewish people. Jesus shows that He is willing to embrace those who are not popular.)

3. Let's go back and read Matthew 8:10-12. What hope do we find for those of us who are gentiles? (That by faith we can be part of God's eternal kingdom!)

3. Mother-In-Law

1. Read Matthew 8:14-15. We see that Jesus has healed a leper, a centurion and now He heals a mother-in-law. Is there anyone who Jesus will not heal? (I'm joking.)

1. Notice that Jesus touched her, and that He touched her on the hand. If you were healing someone with a fever, would you touch that person on the hand or the head? (I think the reason her hand is mentioned is to show us how casually Jesus healed her.)

2. Was this a casual matter to Peter? (I assume not. Thus, Peter's faith in Jesus is reinforced.)

2. Read Matthew 8:16-17. Matthew is showing us (again) that Jesus fulfills the Isaiah prophecies about the Messiah. What impresses you about the way in which Jesus heals? (Jesus drives out demons with just a word. No sickness is too difficult for Him to heal. He heals everyone. Matthew is showing us that Jesus powerfully fulfills the prophecy.)

4. Disciples

1. Read Matthew 8:18-27. What are the job qualifications for being a follower of Jesus? (It looks like we need to be willing to put Jesus before comfort, family and safety.)

1. What point do you think Matthew is making by taking about discipleship in the middle of these miracles? (Notice that these two new potential disciples came to Jesus after He performed powerful miracles. Matthew may be telling us that Jesus' power is for the purpose of pushing back the effects of sin, rather than making us more comfortable.)

5. Pigs

1. Read Matthew 8:28-29. Would you want to be a disciple of Jesus when these two visit Him? (People were scared of them and their violence.)

1. What attitude do the violent demons have towards Jesus? (They fear Him. The elements obey Jesus and demons fear Him!)

2. Consider the words of the demons. What do you learn from the enemy? (They know they will lose the controversy between good and evil. They know a time has been appointed when the conflict will conclude. They believe that it will end painfully for them.)

3. Why do they shout?

2. Read Matthew 8:30-32. Put yourself in the place of the demons. What were they thinking? What is the point of going into the pigs if you are just going to kill them? (This shows that the prime goal of demons is to destroy. Mindless destruction. Guess what demons have in mind for you?)

3. Read Matthew 8:33-34. The people want Jesus to leave town. What does this tell you about the values of the people? (They care more about their pigs than they do about the saving of these two men.)

6. Paralytic

1. Read Matthew 9:1-2. If you were the paralyzed guy, is this the response you want from Jesus? In the prior chapter we saw that Jesus has been healing everyone who comes to Him. Why not this fellow?

1. Do you recall a time in your life when you prayed that God would do something for you and God did something else instead?

2. Read John 9:1-2 and Psalms 103:2-3. People thought that sin caused disease. Thus, the root problem is sin. In Psalms, the forgiveness of sin is listed prior to healing. Jesus addresses what this man undoubtedly thought was his most fundamental problem.)

2. Read Matthew 9:3. Is this a reasonable charge? (Of course! Jesus' assertion can mean only that He is God!)

3. Read Matthew 9:4-5. How would you answer Jesus' question? (It is easier to say than to do something.)

1. Why is it fair to call the this charge of blasphemy "evil?" (I suspect it has to do with the fact that these religious leaders were not open to the conclusion that Jesus was the Messiah.)

4. Read Matthew 9:6-7. Is this a convincing argument? Let's say that a person who you are sure is not God heals someone. Would that be proof of divinity? (It would not prove the matter in my mind.)

1. Why, then, does Jesus use this kind of proof? Why would Matthew use this as part of his evidence that Jesus is God? (It is difficult for me to figure out an absolute way to prove Jesus is God. So, Jesus does the best He can under the circumstances.)

2. Notice that Jesus claims the divine authority to forgive sin. Is that part of Matthew's proof? (Yes. Think about this a minute. If Jesus is not God, what is He? He is crazy. He is seriously deluded. Could a person like that perform a healing? It is the combination of Jesus' assertion, and the actual healing that proves the point of His divinity.)

5. Friend, we see that Jesus reaches out to all sorts of people to heal and help them. Demons, on the other hand, engage in senseless destruction. Which side will you choose in the controversy between good and evil? Why not make a firm decision right now?

7. Next week: The Seen and the Unseen War.

blazingthru

The Seen and the Unseen War
(Matthew 11)

Introduction: Many Christians have one of two opposing opinions. They think that salvation turns on their good works, or they think that salvation is merely accepting grace and then continuing on their normal way. Our lesson this week reveals a third approach: relying on God in everything. This not only includes salvation, it includes all of the problems and victories of life. Let's dig into our study of Matthew and learn more!

1. John's Doubts

1. Read Matthew 11:1-3 and read Matthew 3:11-14. What has happened to John's faith in Jesus? (Read Matthew 14:3-4. John is in prison when he sends his disciples to Jesus. If you look again at Matthew 3:12 John predicts that Jesus will "clear ... [the] floor ... with unquenchable fire." Yet despite John's expectations of power, Jesus does nothing to free him from prison. Matthew 14:10 tells us that John died in prison.)

1. What does this teach us about being arrogant about the way we think prophecy will be fulfilled? (We need to be alert and keep our minds open to the Holy Spirit. The Jewish nation (apparently including John the Baptist) expected that Jesus would exercise power and overthrow His enemies at that time.)

2. Read Matthew 11:4-6. How does this answer John's question about why Jesus is not saving him? (Jesus' answer shows that He is defeating Satan, not Satan's followers. We need to remember that the real enemy is Satan and his demonic forces, not the people with whom we work and live.)

3. Read Matthew 11:7-11. Explain how Jesus can say no human is greater than John the Baptist, yet the least important person in heaven is greater than John?

1. What is the issue John's disciples raised? (Who is Jesus? This is the key issue in life. Will you believe in Jesus and trust Him with all of your problems and challenges? John was showing a lack of trust. Those in heaven will be there because of their trust in God - not because of their works.)

2. What does this teach us about reliance on Jesus rather than on yourself, other humans or money? (Even John the Baptist wavered. We need to beware.)

2. War

1. Read Matthew 11:12-14. Who are these forceful men? (Consider the context. John the Baptist did powerful things to prepare the way for Jesus. He was "Elijah." But, Herod killed John. ( Matthew 14:6-11.) Satan brings human power against the Church when it is advancing.)

2. Read Matthew 11:16-19. What does this tell us about having the wrong expectations? (We, like children, think God's workers should conform to our ideas. We are self-centered. God says look beyond yourself and see what God is doing through that person. Consider how God is moving in the world - even as the result of people who do not meet your expectations.)

1. How many Christians do you know who are fighting each other, rather than fighting demonic forces?

3. Read Matthew 11:20-24. We think of Sodom in connection with sexual sin. What does Jesus say is worse than that? (Ignoring the miracles that God has performed in our life. Think again about Samson. This fellow had a sex problem. Yet he is listed in the faith hall of fame ( Hebrews 11:32) because even in his last few moments of life he trusted God ( Judges 16:28-30).)

1. Have you paid too little attention to the miracles God has done in your life?

4. Read Matthew 11:25-26. Jesus was just criticizing His listeners by saying they were like "children sitting in the marketplaces" (Matthew 11:16) and now He says God reveals to "little children" what is hidden from the "wise and learned." Which is it, should we have an attitude like children or not? What, exactly, is the child-like attitude that Jesus commends? (In both places Jesus is calling children "simple." They are simple in what they want and they are simple in their understanding.)

1. Why is that good? (Jesus' point seems to be that the call of the gospel can be understood by anyone as long as they are not too arrogant to be willing to accept it.)

2. Do you think God is hiding the gospel from anyone? That hiding good news is for God's "good pleasure?"(It would be hard to explain the great work of the Apostle Paul if it were true that God kept the gospel from the "wise and learned.")

3. Read Matthew 19:23-24. Why is it hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven? (This helps to explain the problem of the "wise and learned" understanding the gospel. Those who are rich, those who are smart, those who are highly educated have in common a tendency to rely on wealth, intelligence and education instead of God. This is the same point as Jesus made with John the Baptist. The central issue for John was whether he would trust Jesus in the midst of problems. The central issue for the rich, wise and educated is whether they will trust God or trust their money, intelligence or education.)

5. Let's go back and read Matthew 11:15. Who is able to understand Jesus' message? (Everyone with ears!)

1. What does that tell us about Jesus' comments about the gospel being hidden from certain people? (This helps prove the point that we all can hear and understand, unless we choose not to understand because of our arrogance and self-reliance.)

6. Read Matthew 11:27. To whom has God revealed the gospel? (To Jesus! Jesus reveals God the Father to us. This reinforces Jesus' point that we must trust Him, we must put our confidence in Him.)

7. Read Matthew 11:28-30. What practical advantage do we enjoy by putting our trust in Jesus? (He carries our burdens. He gives us rest. He is not arrogant and harsh with us. Instead, He wants us to succeed in life and to have eternal life.)

1. Do you feel that life is a constant struggle? Why not rely on Jesus in everything?

2. What do you think relying on Jesus would look like, as a practical matter? (It involves at least three things. First, asking Jesus in prayer to work out our challenges. Second, following the advice Jesus has already given us in the Bible. Third, looking for the Holy Spirit to guide us in the decisions we make.)

8. Read Matthew 12:24. What is worse than relying on yourself, instead of relying on Jesus? (Thinking that Jesus relies on Satan.)

9. Read Matthew 12:25-26. What do you think about this answer? (This is a very practical answer. I think Jesus is struggling against the problem He just identified, that truth is hidden from people who trust themselves.)

1. What answer would be appropriate for those who rely on Jesus? (There is a war going on between Jesus and Satan. Why would Satan help Jesus? His goal is to destroy Jesus.)

10. Read Matthew 12:27-28. Do you think that the Jewish religious leaders thought other Jewish religious leaders drove out demons by the power of Satan? (Of course not! Jesus says "Why would you judge Me by a different standard?")

11. Read Matthew 12:29. What does this tell us about the reality of demons? (It tells us that Jesus not only believes in them, but he calls Satan a "strong man.")

1. What does this say about Jesus? (He is stronger than Satan. He can bind Satan.)

12. Read Matthew 12:30-32. What is the peril of saying that a fellow Christian is performing healings through the power of Satan? (This is very dangerous.)

13. Friend, you have a choice. Will you live your life trusting Jesus? Or, will you live your life trusting yourself, or worse, trusting demonic powers? Jesus offers to lift our burdens and give us rest. Why not accept His offer right now?

3. Next week: Resting in Christ.

blazingthru

Resting in Christ
(Matthew 12)

Introduction: As a lawyer, I believe in rules. Having the right rules provides the maximum amount of freedom, including religious freedom. God believes in the rule of law, otherwise Jesus would not have come to fulfill the requirements of the law on our behalf. What keeps lawyers in business is conflicts between rules and different views about the same rule. Our lesson this week is about sorting out God's rules. Let's plunge into our study of Matthew and see what we can learn about the nature of God's rules!

1. The Yoke Rule
    1. Read Matthew 11:28-30. Last week we looked at these verses. Let's consider one additional aspect. Jesus offers us a "yoke." Is that a good or bad thing?
      1. Isn't a yoke like a rule, it constrains us?(The yoke is a constraint, but the good thing is that Jesus is the other person in the yoke. This means that in every task, every challenge, every problem, Jesus is pulling for you. This is a constraint that helps. It shows mercy.)
    2. Read Matthew 12:1-2. Why is it unlawful to pick heads of grain? (The problem was not stealing grain (Deuteronomy 23:25), the charge was working on Sabbath ( Exodus 20:8-11).)

3. Read Matthew 12:3-4. What do you think of Jesus' answer? Isn't that the answer your children give you - other people do it? "He's doing it, she's doing it!"
      1. What answer would you think might be better than "others do the same thing?" (I would answer that this was not work.)
    4. Read 1 Samuel 21:1-6. Is David telling the truth about being on a mission for King Saul? (No. If you read the prior chapter you will see that Jonathan warned David that King Saul wants to kill him. David is running away from Saul.)
      1. What is similar between David's situation and the situation of Jesus' disciples? (They are hungry.)

2. Is that the lesson we should learn about the Sabbath - it is okay to break the rules if you are hungry?
        1. If that is not the lesson, what is Jesus' lesson?
          1. Helping others is more important than the rules?
        2. What if helping others is the main rule?
          1. Is that a standard? Is that a rule?
    5. Read Matthew 12:5-8. What does Jesus mean when He says that He is "Lord of the Sabbath?" (He gets to decide what is appropriate to do on the Sabbath.)
      1. What does Jesus mean when He says, "I desire mercy, not sacrifice?" ( Hosea 6:6) (If Jesus' disciples and David had refrained from eating that would have been a sacrifice. Thus, Jesus is saying that for the Sabbath command (and others, apparently), the goal is to show mercy.)

2. Is that a rule? (I think it is. Consider your view of the second half of the Ten Commandments and every other similar rule in the Bible. Are they there to trip us up, to catch us in sin? Or, are they there because Jesus loves us and wants us to live a life free from unnecessary problems? I think the rules exist to show us mercy - and that is the point Jesus is making. His "yoke" is a mercy to us.)

3. Notice that the Sabbath commandment is not in the "second half" of the Ten Commandments. Is it about worshiping God or is it about having a better life? (The Fourth Commandment is a transition from the commands concerning God and those concerning fellow humans. ReadMark 2:27-28. The Sabbath is a day of rest for humans, but it is also a special time for recalling what God has done for us.)
  2. Shriveled Hand Rule
    1. Read Matthew 12:9-10. How would you answer this if you understood that mercy is the goal behind God's rules? (The answer is an obvious, "yes.")

2. Read Matthew 12:11-13. How does this story reinforce the previous stories about picking grain and David eating the sanctuary bread? (This shows that mercy is the overriding rule.)
      1. Let's circle back to David's story about the temple bread. What was the purpose of the temple and the temple ceremonies? (To point to Jesus coming and dying on our behalf.)
        1. Was that showing mercy to us? (Yes! Preferring the rules about the temple bread over David's needs would ignore the entire point of the temple ceremony - that God was coming to show us mercy!)
    3. Do you think God has a hierarchy of rules? Are some rules more important than others?
      1. In American law, there is a rule of statutory construction that says one rule supercedes another only if there is a direct conflict. In the stories we have looked at so far (picking grain and healing on Sabbath/David eating sanctuary bread), was there a direct conflict between the rule of mercy and Sabbath or sanctuary rules? ( Leviticus 24:8-9 directly conflicts with David eating the bread. Plus, Jesus admits there is a conflict ( Matthew 12:4). Although I don't see the conflict with picking grain, Jesus refrained from arguing His disciples were not working. I think Jesus' point is that there is a hierarchy of rules.)

2. Is there an alternative to the hierarchy of rules explanation? (That all the rules have a common core - showing mercy.)
    4. Read Matthew 12:14. What are the religious leaders showing? (Not mercy. They are showing hatred. This is a clear violation of the rules.)
  3. The Mercy Rule
    1. Read Matthew 12:15-16. After Jesus learns of the plot to kill Him, He withdraws. Was it dangerous for Him to heal? (Yes, it would further provoke the religious leaders to kill Him.)
      1. Why does Jesus do this anyway? (Mercy!)
    2. Read Matthew 12:17-21. What are we told Jesus will do? (In the power of the Holy Spirit He will proclaim justice, and He will lead "justice to victory." He will create hope.)
      1. What will Jesus not do? (He will not quarrel or cry out. He will not raise His voice. He will not further injure those who are already injured.)
    3. Re-read Matthew 12:20. A "smoldering wick" has lost its flame. A "bruised reed" is in danger of breaking because it already has an injury. What kind of people do these describe? People who are ill? Discouraged? Losing the flame of faith?
      1. Would people who promote sinful lifestyles, and are hostile to religion, also qualify as bruised reeds and smoldering wicks?
  4. Danger Rule
    1. Read Matthew 12:22-23. What do the people seem to think? (They suggest that Jesus is the Messiah.)

2. Read Matthew 12:24. What do the religious leaders assert? (That Jesus is powered by Satan.)

3. In Matthew 12:25-29 Jesus makes a series of logical arguments as to why He is not using the power of Satan. Read Matthew 12:30-32. Why is Jesus talking about speaking "against the Holy Spirit" and saying that is the sin that cannot be forgiven? (Attributing to Satan the work of the Holy Spirit is the sin that cannot be forgiven.)
      1. This very morning I exchanged notes with a fellow who argued that syncopated contemporary praise music was demonic. I believe that contemporary praise music involves, in part, the Holy Spirit bringing my mind directly to God. See 1 Corinthians 14:14-17. However, the issue I want you to consider is not music, but the charge of demonic power. What is the danger? (The danger is the unpardonable sin! Christians who accuse other Christians of using the power of Satan are on very dangerous ground. They need to be certain of these charges or not make them.)

2. Has the fellow who disagreed with me committed the unpardonable sin? (This is not like tripping a wire. The problem is that the Holy Spirit convicts us of sin. John 16:8-9. When we begin to resist the power of the Holy Spirit by claiming it is demonic, we push away its convicting power in our life. It is a process, not a single charge.)
    4. Friend, are you convicted that mercy is behind God's rules for life? Will you decide, today, to show God's mercy to others? To rest in God's mercy to you?
  5. Next week: Lord of Jews and Gentiles.

blazingthru

Lord of Jews and Gentiles
(Matthew 14 & 15)

Introduction: A common belief is that men cannot understand women. This might be an idea started by women! Are there people you do not understand? Of those you do understand, do you understand them all the time? One of the reasons to study the Bible is to better understand God. I think one reason Matthew wrote the material we study in this week's lesson is to teach us to trust God, even when we do not understand His decisions. Let's plunge into our study and learn more!

1. The Death of John the Baptist

1. Read Matthew 14:6-11. What was the cause of John's death? (Herod's bravado, immaturity, and worry about losing face. Herodias' scheming, anger at being rebuked (by John for her improper marriage - see Matthew 14:3-5). All this is tied together with a lewd dance by Herodias' daughter.)

1. If you loved John, if you were his disciple, his death would be a terrible blow. What do the circumstances add to your reaction?

2. Read Matthew 14:12. Why did John's disciples go to Jesus?

1. Would they think that Jesus should have rescued John? (We discussed two weeks ago that John the Baptist was likely wondering why Jesus did not rescue him.)

3. Read Matthew 14:13. Why did Jesus seek some private time after He heard the news about John's death? (He was adversely affected by it. Perhaps He was thinking that this confirmed He would die at the hand of the Romans. Perhaps He was simply sad that His cousin was dead.)

4. Read Matthew 14:14. Would you have done this if you were Jesus? (I suspect I would be nursing my own grief and emotions. But, we see that Jesus is more concerned about helping others.)

2. The Feeding

1. Read Matthew 14:15-17. Is this the answer you would give?

1. Re-read Matthew 14:14. With this context, is that the answer the disciples should have given? (They were not looking at the big picture. They were not relying on the power of Jesus. They were relying on what they possessed.)

2. Read Matthew 14:18-21. How important are the disciples to this miracle?

1. Do you need to have perfect faith to be involved in a miracle? (Obviously not. This, of course, is great news.)

2. Re-read Matthew 14:16-17. Was Jesus expecting the disciples to perform this miracle?

3. How did Jesus perform this miracle - feeding 15,000 from five loaves and two fish? (Look again at Matthew 14:19. He looked to heaven, gave thanks and started breaking the bread.)

3. Read Matthew 14:22. This is odd - "Jesus made the disciples get into the boat." Why would they not want to go? (Read John 6:14-16. This gives us the answer. John's parallel account reveals that the people, seeing this great miracle, decided to make Jesus their king. No doubt the disciples said, "Wow, let's do this! We will be Jesus' assistants in the new kingdom!")

3. The Storm

1. Read Matthew 14:23-24. Did the disciple's problem with the wind reflect their attitude - they just were not making progress in life?

2. Read Matthew 14:25. What is the "fourth watch?" (This is between 3 and 6 in the morning according to Adam Clarke's Commentary.)

1. What does that tell you about the extent of the disciples' difficulty with the wind? (They have been making little headway since dinner.)

2. What are your thoughts about the mood of the disciples? (They were unhappy about not being able to make Jesus king. They were frustrated with the storm.)

3. Why did Jesus walk on the lake to see them?

3. Read Matthew 14:26. Do you think Jesus expected this reaction? (I doubt it. He came to comfort them, not frighten them.)

4. Read Matthew 14:27-31. Would you say that Peter had "little faith?"

1. Compared to who? The disciples in the boat?

2. Why does Matthew include this story in this series of stories? (The death of John looks like a defeat to outsiders. Jesus' disciples are discouraged. Matthew tells these stories to argue against discouragement. He shows us that Jesus has the power to do miracles, the ability to convince others to make Him king, and the authority over gravity and the elements. I think the point is that Jesus chooses when to intervene, He does not lack the authority to intervene.)

5. Read Matthew 14:32. Why not walk to shore? (Jesus is focused on those in the boat.)

6. Read Matthew 14:33. The disciples now show faith. Jesus has come to them and changed their mood entirely. Will Jesus do that for you? Will He come in times when you are discouraged and frustrated and show you His power?

1. Many people deny that Jesus is God. They say He is just a "good man." What does this say about those people? (They know nothing about the Bible. The Bible makes a very clear claim that Jesus is God.)

7. Read Matthew 14:34-36. Was Jesus making a judgment on who would be healed and who would not be healed? (No.)

1. Why not? (We started the chapter with Jesus making a judgment on whether to rescue John. We end with universal healing for all who come to Jesus.)

4. Tradition

1. Read Matthew 15:1-6. This is another example where it seems that Jesus responds to a charge of wrongdoing by saying "You, too, are wrongdoers!" Is that truly what Jesus is saying? (The religious leaders allege a violation of their "tradition." Jesus responds by saying that their tradition is a suspect thing. It nullifies God's word in at least some respects.)

2. Read Matthew 15:7-9. What does Isaiah prophesy about the problems with God's people? (That they follow the rules of man rather than the rules of God. They do not have "heart" worship.)

1. Frankly, I think the disciples should wash their hands before they eat. Why such resistance from Jesus? (This is an important point. There are plenty of good ideas. The question is whether we are focused on "good ideas" or on the requirements of God.)

3. Read Matthew 15:10-11. Has Jesus changed the topic? (No. He calls to the crowd so that they will understand His message about the dispute over hand washing.)

1. What is Jesus' message? (What came out of the mouth of the religious leaders was criticism. This is much worse than not washing your hands.)

4. Read Matthew 15:12. Are you offended by this idea that what goes into your mouth does not make you unclean?

5. Read Matthew 15:13-20. How do you understand Jesus' message - is He just talking about hand washing? (It seems His message goes deeper. The things we eat and drink are, like washing hands, a matter of better living. They reflect good ideas. However, what we say reflects what we think, and the mind is where we find the true battle over sin.)

1. The Gentile

1. Read Matthew 15:22-27. How do you explain Jesus calling this poor woman a "dog?" (Read Matthew 15:28. Jesus was testing her.)

2. Re-read Matthew 14:36. Is this fair? All who touch Jesus are healed. This woman has to successfully endure insults to have her child healed. What is going on? (I think this is for the benefit of the disciples (see Matthew 15:23). Jesus wants to show them that gentiles can have great faith. Learn a lesson from this for those times when God seems to resist helping you.)

3. Friend, we see that Jesus makes decisions on helping and healing that are sometimes hard to understand. Will you determine today, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to simply trust God?

2. Next week: Peter and the Rock.

blazingthru

Peter and the Rock
(Matthew 16 & 17)

Introduction: Have you ever been in a situation where the solution to a problem is right in front of you, but somehow you cannot see it? Someone else will come by, point out the solution, and you cannot believe that you missed the obvious! In our study of Matthew this week, he illustrates this kind of situation with those who crossed paths with Jesus. Let's dig into our study and learn more so that we will not be oblivious and miss the spiritually obvious!

1. Sign

1. Read Matthew 16:1. Jesus performs all sorts of miracles. Should He perform one now? (While I think Jesus' miracles have the effect of confirming who He is, texts such as Matthew 14:14 tell us that Jesus' miracles are motivated by compassion. These religious leaders are merely "testing" Jesus.)

2. Read Matthew 16:2-3. What is the problem with the religious leaders? (They ignore the obvious: that Jesus is fulfilling prophecy.)

1. Are we like those religious leaders? Do we ignore what the Bible says and how it applies to our life, and instead ask Jesus for a special sign?

3. Read Matthew 16:4. Jesus says that they will be given the "sign of Jonah." What do you think that means? (The most sophisticated and obscure answer is that Jonah went down into the water and rose to life when the fish spit him out (Jonah 2). Jesus will go down into the earth, and rise to eternal life. The more obvious answer is that God-ordained events overtook Jonah. God-ordained events will overtake these religious leaders. The rejection of Jesus leads to the destruction of Jerusalem.)

2. Bread

1. Read Matthew 16:5-11. Why is Jesus complaining about the disciples lack of faith, rather than their lack of intelligence? (No problem they faced would be due to a lack of bread - they had just seen those miracles. Yet they assumed Jesus' point had to do with a lack of bread.)

1. When we face difficult choices, should we ever factor in the possibility that Jesus will not help us?

2. Read Matthew 16:12. Why would Jesus use "yeast" to represent the teachings of the religious leaders? ( Leviticus 2:11 forbids the use of yeast (leaven) in making any offering to God. New Unger's Bible Dictionary comments that yeast causes "disintegration and corruption, [which] symbolized evil and the energy of sin." You don't want your teaching described that way!)

3. The Rock

1. Read Matthew 16:13-14. Would those answers discourage you if you were Jesus?

2. Read Matthew 16:15-18. This is a much debated text. On what will Jesus build His church? (Jesus says that He will build it on Peter.)

1. Are you less certain of this answer if I told you that Peter means "rock?" If Peter means "rock," then to what is Jesus referring when He talks about building the church on the rock? (It seems hard to give too much credit to the answer, "Peter," because Jesus says that the correct answer was given "by my Father in heaven" - not Peter. Perhaps we should conclude that the rock on which the church is built are those individuals (like Peter)who speak what God has revealed to them.)

2. What is the revelation given to Peter? (That Jesus is "the Son of the Living God.")

3. Wait! Does that alter what you think Jesus means by "the rock" on which He will build His church? ("The rock" is not merely those through whom the Holy Spirit gives understanding, rather, it is understanding the most important spiritual point - that Jesus is God. He is the Messiah. He is the "Son of the Living God." Jesus' church will be built on Spirit-filled individuals who understand that Jesus is God.)

4. You know I often urge you to look at the context when trying to understand the meaning of a text. What has Matthew been doing throughout his gospel? (Proving that Jesus is the Messiah, Jesus is God.)

1. How does that "nudge" our understanding of the rock? (Matthew has not been promoting Peter, he has been promoting the divinity of Jesus. That is another element of proof regarding what Jesus means here.)

3. Read Matthew 16:19. Is Jesus turning judgment over to the disciples, who a few minutes ago could not even figure out whether He was talking about bread? (I hope not! If the "rock" is a Spirit-filled understanding of who Jesus is, then we can see that everyone who accepts this critical understanding is released to eternal life, and those who reject this critical understanding are bound for eternal death.)

4. Read Matthew 16:20. Why not share this critically important news? (It was not the right time. In our evangelistic efforts we need to listen to the Holy Spirit about the right time to share.)

4. The Rebuke

1. Read Matthew 16:21-23. One moment Peter has God speaking through him and the next moment Peter is speaking for Satan. Does that sound right? (Read James 3:10-12. In the past, I've understood James to say this is not possible. Peter shows that it is possible - and frankly, I'm grateful for Matthew's account that shows that often we send out contradictory messages. But, James is right that this "should not be.")

1. Re-read Matthew 16:23. When Jesus tells Peter he has in mind the "things of men," what things are those?

2. Does it seem wrong to conclude that "the Son of the Living God" cannot be killed? (Peter wanted Jesus to be the Messiah who would rule, and Jesus knew He must be the Messiah who died for His people.)

2. Read Matthew 16:24. Does this seem grim to you? Who wants to do this? (Recall that context is important. Jesus' statement here is strong because He wants to disabuse the disciples of their vision of earthly power.)

3. Read John 15:10-13. This is another discussion about "giving up," but in the context of "joy." How do you explain this? (Obedience to God involves giving up our own selfish way. Because God knows what is best for us, that brings joy.)

5. The Reward

1. Read Matthew 16:25-27. Do you agree? (A sign of maturity is sacrificing now for a greater reward later. What we sacrifice now cannot compare to the eternal glory we will enjoy.)

2. Read Matthew 16:28. Is Jesus misleading the disciples? It is now thousands of years later, and Jesus has not come! (Many try to say that Jesus is not speaking of His Second Coming, but the immediately preceding verses tell us that is what Jesus is talking about.)

3. Read Matthew 17:1-5. What would you call this event? (Is this not a foretaste of Jesus' Second Coming? Isn't this the power of heaven being seen by some of the disciples? Context shows that this is what Jesus meant when he said some of His disciples would "see the Son of Man coming" during their lifetime.)

6. Giving Offense

1. Read Matthew 17:24. What issues do you think Peter considered in answering this question? (Whether Jesus pays His religious obligations.)

2. Read Matthew 17:25. What issue does Jesus suggest is at the heart of the question? (Whether Jesus is the Son of God - since this is the temple tax.)

3. Read Matthew 17:26-27. Should Jesus compromise on the issue of who He is? Didn't we just decide that is the most important issue for humans?

1. Why does giving "offense" matter when we are discussing the core issue of Christianity? Isn't it worse to compromise?(Jesus does not compromise the core issue. Who can catch a fish with exact change in its mouth? At the same time, Jesus makes the important point that we should not offend people who are just doing their job.)

4. Friend, the disciples seem to often miss the obvious point. The religious leaders missed the obvious point. Jesus tells us that the Holy Spirit will reveal the obvious to us. Will you, right now, ask the Holy Spirit to give you spiritual understanding?

7. Next week: Idols of the Soul (and other Lessons From Jesus).

blazingthru

Lesson 9
Idols of the Soul
(Matthew 18-20)

Introduction: Jeffrey Brauch, the former Dean of the Regent University School of Law, is one of the most amazing men I have ever met. His focus always seemed to be on me when we spoke. When I speak with others, I regret that my focus also generally seems to be on me. I'm sure Jeff is just like that with everyone - his focus is on them. Jeff lives what Matthew teaches this week: to live a life of concern for others. Let's dig into our lesson and learn more!

1. Children

1. Read Matthew 18:1-4. Who has the most definite opinions on child raising: parents of several children or people who do not have children?

1. Are the children you know naturally selfish? Do they prefer themselves over others? (From what I've seen, children are like the rest of us - born into sin.)

2. If that is true, what is Jesus talking about?

2. Re-read Matthew 18:1. Why would someone want to be the greatest in a kingdom? (So they can rule over others.)

1. What about children is unlike that? (Young children are very dependent. Even if they have other bad habits, being selfish as an example, they need help and they know it.)

3. Look again at Matthew 18:4. What, then, is Jesus telling us about our character development? (That we should humbly depend on Him - just like a child depends on his or her parents.)

4. Read Matthew 18:5-6. How does this related to Jesus' point about children being dependent? (Since they are dependent, adults have an obligation to make sure that we properly teach and treat the children in our circle of influence.)

2. Sin

1. Read Matthew 18:7. Have you ever heard someone who is profiting from evil say, "If I didn't do it someone else would. I might as well be the one who makes the money from it."

1. What is Jesus' answer to that? ("Woe to you!" evil will come, but it better not be through you.)

2. Read Matthew 18:8-9. Does sin begin with your hand, foot or eye? (No. It beings in the mind.)

1. How, then, do you understand what Jesus is saying? (Jesus is pointing out the seriousness of sin. People sin for some perceived advantage. Jesus says it would be better to lose something important than to sin.)

3. Read Matthew 18:10. Is Jesus jumping around in His comments, and has jumped back into talking about children? (Jesus is on the same topic. Children will encounter sin eventually, but it better not be through you.)

4. Read Matthew 18:12-14. You have probably heard the parable of the ninety-nine sheep and the one that was lost. What is Jesus' point in that parable about children? (In many cultures children are not valued. In some cultures they are used. Jesus teaches us that they are of great worth - every one of them.)

5. Read Matthew 18:15-17. What is the goal of treating differences and problems in this way? (The goal is getting the person to listen to reason.)

1. What does it mean to treat someone as a "pagan or a tax collector?"

1. Is it okay to treat pagans differently?

3. The Church

1. Read Matthew 18:18. We discussed the issue of taking disputes to the church. How important is the decision of the church?

2. Let's go back and read Matthew 16:18-19. When we studied that a little while ago I spiritualized it by saying that those who understand that Jesus is God and accept Him are "loosed" and those who reject Him are "bound" in heaven. Was I wrong? (This new context shows that I did not go far enough in the practical application. Jesus tells us that the church is given spiritual authority on earth.)

1. How far does this authority go? Can the church change the day of worship? Can the church swap Jesus for another mediator? (The context in Matthew 18 is disputes between church members.)

3. Read Matthew 18:19-20. How big must the church be to have the kind of authority we have been discussing? Will a church of two be enough?

1. As you sit back and contemplate these texts, what do you think is Jesus' essential point? (Heaven works through us. God delegates authority to us.)

2. Does this have anything to do with Jesus' previous discussion about children? (Jesus teaches us to be humble and dependent on Him. That informs the extent of our "authority" here. Our authority must be an accord with Jesus' revealed will. This means that the church should not be handing down edicts that contradict central teachings of God. Because we have this authority, we need to be very cautious how we use it.)

4. Forgiveness

1. Read Matthew 18:21-22. The only way to be sure we have seventy-seven times is to keep a record. Is this what Jesus directs?

2. Read Matthew 18:23-30. What is your reaction to the man who owed millions not forgiving the man who owed a small amount?

3. Read Matthew 18:31. The observers were distressed, just like you! Is it because the small debt guy was not forgiven seven times much less seventy-seven times?

4. Read Matthew 18:32-33. What does the master say is the problem? (Mercy. It is not counting that Jesus commands, it is having mercy on those who seek forgiveness.)

1. What is the benchmark for forgiveness in your life? (Jesus died on your behalf for your sins. Your sin is against God. We are affected by sin, but breaking God's law is a sin against Him. We are the servant who has been forgiven "millions.")

5. Read Matthew 18:34-35. What is Jesus' warning?

1. What does it mean to "forgive ... from your heart?"

5. Marriage

1. Read Matthew 19:3-6. Does Jesus believe in the creation account? (He believes in it so firmly that He bases spiritual conclusions on it.)

2. Read Matthew 19:7-9. Do you think that it is an accident that this discussion of marriage immediately follows the discussion about forgiveness?

1. How does the discussion about marriage shape our understanding of forgiveness? (If a spouse was always to forgive the other spouse, then we would have no divorce. This shows us that mercy is informed by God's plan for marriage and for life.)

2. Could a spouse forgive "from the heart" the unfaithfulness of the other spouse, but still divorce for unfaithfulness? (Yes. Forgiveness does not mean that you abandon common sense.)

3. Read Matthew 19:10. Later in this chapter Jesus says it is hard for a rich person to be saved. Read Matthew 19:25. What do Jesus' disciples think about His teachings? (They are astonished. It does not seem right to them. It does not fit their understanding of God's will.)

4. Read Matthew 19:11-12 (marriage) and Matthew 19:26 (wealth). What is Jesus' suggestion for teachings that are hard to understand and follow? (That God will work with us to make seemingly impossible directions possible.)

6. Wages

1. Read Matthew 20:1-12. Do you agree with those who are complaining? Put yourself in the place of those who worked all day!

2. Read Matthew 20:13-16. If Jesus is teaching us a lesson about the Kingdom of Heaven, and not wages, what is the lesson? (God is not looking for merely fair. He is that. But, He is more than fair. He gives us what we deserve, and He gives us more than we deserve. He makes the impossible, possible.

3. Friend, God cares about you. He cares about dependent children. He calls on us to be a blessing to others, rather than just seeking what we think is fair.

7. Next week: Jesus in Jerusalem.

blazingthru

Jesus in Jerusalem
(Matthew 21 & 22)

Introduction: Accepting a leader has consequences. Your acceptance means that you agree that person should lead and make critical decisions. Matthew makes a transition in his continuing proof that Jesus is the Messiah, Jesus is Lord. Matthew now recites the consequences of refusing to actively follow Jesus. Let's dig into our study of the Bible and learn more!

1. The Entrance

1. Read Matthew 21:1-3. Would you question these directions if Jesus gave them to you? (I would be concerned about taking valuable assets on the basis that I should say "the Lord needs them." However, if Jesus can see into the future, how can I doubt anything He says?)

2. Read Matthew 21:4-5. What is Matthew proving here? (Once again, that Jesus fulfills the prophecy that He is the Messiah. Notice that He comes gently.)

3. Read Matthew 21:6-9. Read Matthew 16:20. What has happened? (It is now time to proclaim that Jesus is the Messiah.)

1. What does the crowd say about Jesus? (That He is the "Son of David," the One who comes "in the name of the Lord," and "Hosanna.")

2. Read Psalms 118:25-26."Hosanna" means "save now" or "please save." What additional point does Psalms 118 teach us about the cry of the crowd? (That Jesus is the One who is coming to save them. This proclaims that Jesus is Lord and the promised Messiah.)

4. Read Matthew 21:10-11. Would this answer create a problem? (Read Matthew 2:3-6. If the people were knowledgeable about the Messianic prophecies, saying that Jesus was from Nazareth created a conflict.)

1. What would you have done if you were there listening to this? (Investigated further, I hope!)

2. Temple

1. Read Matthew 21:12-13. We heard what others say about Jesus. We have followed Matthew's series of proofs about Jesus. What is Jesus saying about Himself here? (He calls the temple "My house" and He asserts authority over what is happening in it.)

1. Read Matthew 21:14-15. Are the religious leaders indignant about Jesus healing people? (Read Matthew 21:16. They were indignant about Jesus being called "the Son of David" and then Him acting like their leader.)

2. Read Psalms 8:1-2. This is the text that Jesus quotes. What points does this text make? (That Jesus is Lord, that God ordains praise from children, and the reason for this is to "silence the foe and the avenger." Jesus calls the religious leaders the "foe and the avenger!")

1. Fig Tree

1. Read Matthew 21:17-19. Is this a good or bad thing? Is Jesus destroying something out of anger?

1. What has the fig tree done that causes its destruction? (The leaves mislead you into thinking it has figs.)

2. Is this a lesson for Christians who merely call themselves that?

2. Read Matthew 21:20-22. I recently saw a movie that recorded several useless miracles. People developed gold teeth, fake jewels came from nothing, etc. The useless nature of the miracles made me wonder about their origin. Are we dealing with useless miracles in Matthew 21: causing a tree to wither and tossing mountains around? (The tree is an object lesson for hypocrites. Mountains might represent challenges and problems in your life. Jesus tells us that faith is the answer to life's challenges.)

2. Vineyard

1. Read Matthew 21:33-36. What argument might the renters make for their behavior? (They have no excuse for this.)

2. Read Matthew 21:37-39. What is the motive for killing the son? (Property. Greed. Theft.)

3. Read Matthew 21:40-43. Jesus says this is a parable about the religious leaders and the people who would kill Him. What property did they want? What is their stolen vineyard?(God expected His chosen nation to produce spiritual fruit. Instead, they directed the profits and the praise to themselves.)

4. Think again about the withered fig tree. Is that truly a senseless miracle? Senseless destruction? (This illustrates why the Jewish nation that rejected Jesus would soon be destroyed.)

5. Read Matthew 21:44. Are these our two options in life?

6. Read Matthew 21:45. Is the target of Jesus discussion in doubt? (No. Matthew makes the point very clear.)

3. Wedding

1. Read Matthew 22:1-5. Why don't those who are invited to the wedding come? (They are too busy.)

1. How is their excuse like the motives of those who wanted to steal the vineyard? (Both groups were looking for financial gain. They were looking to increase their property.)

2. How important is the wedding to the king?

2. Read Matthew 22:6-7. Is this fair? (They are murderers! They insulted and enraged their king.)

1. Isn't it excessive to kill people because they insult you and make you mad? (Once again, consider the context. Matthew previously recounts the story of the fig and the story of the vineyard. Being a hypocrite, opposing the gospel, mistreating and killing God's followers, and rejecting God has consequences.)

3. Read Matthew 22:8-10. What is the selection criteria here? Are there hypocrites and bad people in this crowd? (The invitation was to all. "Bad" people (as well as good people) accepted the invitation. The selection criteria is accepting the invitation.)

4. Read Matthew 22:11-12. What is so surprising about not having the right clothes? These people were pulled off the street corners, they were dressed for shopping, working, and relaxing!

1. Why do you think only one person was not wearing the right clothes? (This helps us fill in the gaps in the facts. Everyone should be deficient in the dress department, not just one man. Thus, we learn that the king must have given wedding garments to all of the guests, but this fellow refused.)

1. Let's follow the logic here. The end of verse 12 tells us the man was "speechless." What additional facts can we reasonably deduce? (The king is not at fault. If the king charged for the special garments, if they didn't fit, if the man did not know anything about the special garments, he would have given that excuse. Somehow he thought he was right to refuse the king's garments.)

2. What would make this guy think he was right to refuse to wear the king's special wedding garment? (He liked his own clothes better. He did not need the generosity of the king, he was a good dresser.)

1. How about you? Do you pride yourself with your works?

5. Read Matthew 22:13. What happens to this fellow? (He gets bound and tossed into darkness.)

1. Let's focus on the end of this verse. What emotion causes weeping and gnashing of teeth? (It would have been so easy to accept the king's garment. How could he make such a mistake in judgment?)

6. Read Matthew 2:14. We saw that everyone mentioned in the story gets invited. What does Jesus mean by "few are chosen?" Only one guy seems to be surprised to miss the wedding. (The only reasonable answer is that Jesus refers to self-selection. All of the original invitees turned the king down because they were too busy to pay attention. They were no friend to the king. Apparently did not want to come to the wedding because they mistreated his servants.)

7. Friend, how about you? Are you too busy, too preoccupied with life, to care about the invitation to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior? Or, are you part of the few who think that your righteousness is good enough? Why not, right now, pay attention, repent and accept Jesus' robe of righteousness?

4. Next week: Last Day Events.

blazingthru

Last Day Events
(Matthew 23 & 24)

Introduction: One of the wonderful advantages of writing this lesson is that it forces me to study the Bible. Major goals in writing these studies are to improve the quality of the Sabbath School and help students better understand God's will. However, when I study the Bible I'm always thinking about the impact of God's word on my life. This week some of Matthew's statements are so connected to my life that I apologize in advance for injecting myself so much in the lesson. Let's dig in and see if you, too, feel a special connection to our Bible study!

1. Glory Hogs

1. Read Matthew 23:1-4. When you decide that someone is a hypocrite, how do you treat that person's teaching? (The general attitude is to reject the hypocrite's teaching.)

1. Why does Jesus say to obey these hypocrites? (They "sit in Moses' seat.")

1. What does that mean, and why is that so important? (I think it means that they teach the law given by God through Moses.)

2. I recall several famous religious leaders who had prominent sins. My reaction was that they succumbed to sin - which is true for all of us. How can we distinguish between those religious leaders who "sit in Moses seat" and those who are leading us astray? (A main reason why each of my series of questions starts out with a Bible text is because we cannot (I trust) get too far astray if our point of focus is God's word. The most important question is whether the leader is teaching the Bible or something else.)

2. Read Matthew 23:5-7. Be honest. Do you love to have the place of honor, the best seat? Do you love to be greeted by people who respect you? (If you say "no," I think you have just broken the Ninth Commandment. We all love to be honored.)

1. How do we avoid being just like these religious leaders? (Look at verse 5 again, "everything they do is done for men to see." If everything you do is motivated by your own glory, as opposed to giving glory to God or showing love to another person, then you are in trouble.)

3. Read Matthew 6:2. What does "they have received their reward in full," mean? Does it mean that the "full reward" is personal glory - which would exclude heaven? (I love to preach, I love to teach, and there is no doubt that part of my reason is that I want people to better understand God. But, another part is that I like people to say, "he does a great job." When I read about these religious leaders whose only reward is here, I get concerned. Dr. William H. Shea is one of the most extraordinary Christians I've ever known. He is extremely smart and extremely humble. I asked him, "Do you enjoy the honor of preaching and teaching?" He said, "yes," that is part of it. That put my heart to rest on this issue.)

4. Read Matthew 23:8-12. One of my former students used to call me "rabbi" and my wife often calls me "the professor." My children call me "Dad." The students in the law school call me "Professor Cameron." Should I tell all of them to stop it?

1. Read Exodus 20:12. The question is one of honor for the religious leaders. This text tells us to honor our parents - and that would include calling my father "Father" or "Dad." How would you explain the apparent conflict in the Bible?

2. Remember the context. What honor are the religious leaders improperly stealing? (They are claiming the glory that belongs to God. They do everything for their glory, not God's glory or the love of others. Notice that in Matthew 23:8-10the point of reference is God. My children, my wife, my students do not think I'm God and I'm not trying to confuse them on that point.)

5. Let's skip down to Matthew 23:37-39. What was the most fundamental problem with the religious leaders in Jerusalem? (They rejected Jesus. Notice that the "title" discussion is part of rejecting Jesus. Jesus now says that the end has come for them. They are unwilling to accept Him or give Him glory.)

2. The Destruction

1. Read Matthew 24:1. Why do you think the disciples asked Jesus to look at the temple buildings? (They were undoubtedly beautiful. I've read Josephus' description of the temple and it was glorious.)

2. Read Matthew 24:2-3. This is undoubtedly shocking news. Why would the disciples come to Jesus "privately" to learn the details?

1. How many questions do you find in these verses? How many questions do you think the disciples thought they were asking Jesus? (I think they were asking at least two questions, but I think they thought they were asking just one. No doubt they thought the temple would not be destroyed until Jesus came at the "end of the age.")

3. The End

1. Read Matthew 24:4. What is Jesus' first concern? (That we avoid being deceived.)

2. Read Matthew 24:5-14. Jesus refers three times to "the end" in these verses. What end is He discussing, the end of the temple or the end of the world?

3. Read Matthew 24:15-20. What do you think is being discussed here? (It is common that prophecy can have more than one fulfillment, but this seems consistent with the destruction of Jerusalem. Many Christians fled the city and were saved before the absolute destruction of the temple by the Romans.)

4. Read Matthew 24:23-27. What is being described here? (Jesus' Second Coming.)

1. What is the specific concern about Christians being deceived? (False Christs will appear - and their signs and miracles are extremely persuasive.)

2. How can we avoid being deceived? (No one will have to tell us about Jesus' Second Coming. All will see it at once. I've avoided some of the more complex issues in Jesus' message because I might be wrong. However, the simple part of the message is very obvious - you will know when Jesus comes!)

1. Why, then, does Jesus warn us that we should avoid being deceived, and that the deception to come will be powerful? (We have the potential for being deceived by those fakers. If you are involved in a debate about whether someone is Jesus, that is absolute proof that person is a fake and is not Jesus!)

5. Read Matthew 24:30-31 and Matthew 24:40-41. What other absolute proof will we have about Jesus' Second Coming? (The saved will be taken to heaven!)

1. What is the "loud trumpet call" about? (Read 1 Corinthians 15:51-52. Those who died trusting in Jesus are raised in an instant at the sound of the trumpet.)

6. Let's review all of this so that you cannot be deceived. What will happen when Jesus comes again? (It will be like lightening around the world - everyone will see it at the same time. The dead in Christ will be raised from the grave. The living saved will be gathered to heaven. You will not be confused about this event. If you are not being lifted up to heaven, that is very bad news.)

7. Read Matthew 24:42-44. Wait a minute, we just learned that Jesus' Second Coming will be obvious to everyone. Why are we warned about keeping "watch" and about problems with an unexpected return? I could be sound asleep and not miss Jesus' Second Coming! (The thief is not breaking into Jesus' house in this parable. The thief is breaking into your house. The warning is not about the ambiguity of Jesus' coming, but rather whether you are ready!)

8. Read Matthew 24:45-46. What should you be doing in anticipation of Jesus' Second Coming? (Your job - "feeding" Jesus' servants. We need to continue to work to advance the Kingdom of God!)

9. Friend, what was the problem with the religious leaders that we discussed at the beginning of this lesson? It was that they were working to advance their own glory. What does Jesus call us to do while we await His return? To advance the Kingdom of God. What are you doing these days? Advancing your glory or the Kingdom of God? If you don't like the answer, why not repent right now and ask the Holy Spirit to show you a better way?

4. Next week: Jesus' Last Days.

blazingthru

Jesus' Last Days
(Matthew 26)

Introduction: Our study of Matthew this week pictures two betrayers and one woman fully devoted to Jesus. What does it mean, really, to betray Jesus? What does it mean to be fully devoted to Jesus? Why is the outcome so much different for one betrayer than for the other? Let's plunge into our study of the Bible and learn more!

1. The Plotters and the Woman

1. Read Matthew 26:1-2. This is obviously very discouraging news. Why share it with the disciples? (Jesus wanted them to be warned (again).)

1. What does that suggest about significant last-day events? (Jesus will warn us about important and challenging events.)

2. Read Matthew 26:3-7. We have two opposing pictures. One of a group that is plotting to kill Jesus and another of a woman who is making a great sacrifice for Jesus. Given Jesus understanding of His soon-coming death, how do you think He felt about the woman? (This is this bright star in an otherwise dark situation. I would be so grateful to her.)

3. Read Matthew 26:8-9. How do you explain the disciple's reaction? They have been told that Jesus is about to die, should they not join in doing something special for Him? (I think the disciples resisted believing what Jesus told them. They did not want to believe that He would die.)

1. How would you react if you were this woman and you heard this criticism? You have sacrificed to buy this perfume, and now the disciples are criticizing you for it!

2. There is an assumption in this text I want you to notice. The disciples did not say she should have given money to the poor instead of buying perfume, they say she could have sold the perfume. What does this tell us about how this woman obtained the perfume? (It was a gift. Evidently, it was not something she could afford.)

4. Read Matthew 26:10-13. This was a gift, someone intended the woman to use it. Instead, she chose one self-sacrificing use for it instead of the self-sacrificing use suggested by the disciples. Should the disciples have the right to tell her which self-sacrificing expenditure she must make? (They don't have the right advice. Jesus says that what she has done will be talked about throughout history.)

1. Are there opportunities around you to lift the spirits of those who are discouraged with some kindness?

2. Will they also talk throughout the world about the disciples criticizing this self-sacrificing woman?

3. What is the difference between the attitude of the woman and the disciples? (She was fully devoted to Jesus. The disciples were devoted to making their own judgment about the best use of her perfume.)

2. Judas

1. Read Matthew 26:14-16. Was Judas one who criticized the woman?

1. Why do you think Judas betrayed Jesus? Had he now decided to hate Jesus? (I have two theories. First, that he did not believe that Jesus could be killed - and that He might as well collect money as a reward for forcing Jesus to declare Himself King. Second, that Jesus was serious about dying, in which case he deserved the money for his wasted time in hanging around for three years. In either event, he trusted himself and not Jesus.)

2. Read Matthew 18:7. Is this a description of Judas' situation?

2. Read Matthew 26:17-22. The disciples assumed the betrayal was not already taking place. Why? (Because all except Judas had not betrayed Him.)

1. We've discussed my views about Judas' plot. What were the other disciples thinking - had it crossed their mind that they could make a little money on this unfortunate turn of events? (They were just sad about it, and worried that they might be unreliable.)

2. Why did Jesus disclose that He would be betrayed? Do you think He wanted to make Judas feel guilty, or did He want him to abandon his plan, or did Jesus have something else in mind?

3. Read Matthew 26:23-25. This is a very serious event in the mind of the disciples. Do you think they understood that Judas was betraying Jesus?

1. If so, why didn't they attack Judas? Why not threaten him so he would not do it? Why not restrain him so that he could not betray Jesus?

2. When Judas said, "Surely not I, Rabbi," what does that tell us about his willingness to abandon his plan? (Judas had made his decision. He now lied to cover it up.)

3. Last Supper

1. Read Matthew 26:26-30. Put yourself in the place of the disciples. Would you have any idea what Jesus was talking about? He first says He is about to be killed, and now He is talking about symbolically eating His body and drinking His blood.

2. Consider what we have studied so far. The disciples think they have better judgment than the woman. Judas thinks he has better judgment than Jesus. What point is Matthew making by putting this account of the Last Supper here?

4. Peter

1. Read Matthew 26:31-35. Do you think that Peter is telling the truth? (Read John 18:10-11. In John's account of Jesus' arrest, Peter draws his sword, he is willing to die for Jesus. He is telling the truth.)

1. How is Peter different than Judas? (Peter is not acting to benefit himself.)

2. Let's skip down after Jesus' arrest. Read Matthew 26:57-58. Is Peter still showing great courage?

3. Read Matthew 26:69-75. Yesterday, I read some good intentioned person sharing about how we need to work hard against sin, that we were facing Satan, and we better be up for the fight (Jesus helping us, of course). What is Peter's failure? What character defect does he display? What flaw in his personality is the great problem? (Peter was fully on-board with Jesus. He was willing to fight and die. But, he was confused about Jesus not fighting and Jesus talking about eating His body and drinking His blood. Peter did not know what to think.)

1. What, then, should Peter have done? (Simply trusted Jesus.)

4. Let's go back over our study. In the dispute between the disciples and the woman over the best use of the perfume, who was trusting Jesus and who was trusting in their own judgment? (The disciples were trusting their own judgment.)

5. In the account of Judas betrayal, who is Judas trusting? (Himself. He thinks he knows more than Jesus.)

6. In the record of the Last Supper, what is Jesus' point about eating His body and drinking His blood? (Salvation comes only through Jesus. He is the sacrificial Lamb of the sanctuary service. He is the only path to salvation.)

7. Peter does not think he is smarter than Jesus. Although he was willing to die, somehow he made a mess of things and betrayed Jesus. Tell me what Peter should have done to avoid this outcome? (Re-read Matthew 26:31-33. Peter should have put away his pride and asked Jesus, "How can I avoid doing that? Tell me what I need to do to fully support You rather than betray You.")

8. Friend, I don't think it is good advice to put up your fists and fight Satan. I don't think it is good advice to focus on hunting down and eliminating every sin in your life. The focus of your life must be to trust God, even when all of the world seems out of control. You can start that right now by asking the Holy Spirit, every day, to guide your every decision and your every thought so that you will make it a habit to trust God.

blazingthru

Crucified and Risen
(Matthew 27 & 28)

Introduction: The time has come for us to study Jesus' sacrifice on our behalf. Words cannot adequately describe it. What incredible love! What incredible mercy! What incredible unselfishness He showed towards us. Let's dig into our Bibles and witness Jesus' astonishing sacrifice for you and me!

1. Judas

1. Read Matthew 27:1-3. What event caused Judas to feel remorse? (That Jesus "was condemned." That reinforces my thinking that Judas did not really think Jesus would allow Himself to be captured and condemned.)

2. Read Matthew 27:4-5. Did the religious leaders comfort Judas by telling him that he did the right thing?

1. What responsibility did the religious leaders think belonged to them?

3. Read Matthew 18:7-9 and compare these verses with Judas' current situation. What did Judas think he would get out of betraying Jesus? (Hopefully, he could take credit for Jesus claiming His kingdom on earth. But, at least he would have thirty silver coins. He thought he would benefit.)

1. What actually happened to Judas? (He lost his money, the kingdom and his life. Plus, it seems he lost eternal life. Jesus tells us in Matthew 18 that we think we will benefit from sin, but in fact it would be better to lose a hand, foot or eye, then what sin will cost you.)

2. Pilate

1. Read Matthew 27:11 and Luke 23:3-4. Matthew fails to mention Pilate's reaction. What does this mean for Jesus? (It means He should be set free.)

2. Read Matthew 27:12-14 and Luke 23:13-16. The Jewish leaders bring accusations (not witnesses) against Jesus, and He asserts His right not to answer. Why not respond? (In the United States we call it the "Fifth Amendment right" right to remain silent and not take a chance on incriminating yourself. Numbers 35:30 and Deuteronomy 19:15 show that God's people had a similar rule in that a simple confession was not enough to convict.)

3. As we can see from Luke, these false accusations and Jesus' silence are not enough to convince Pilate or Herod that Jesus has committed any offense. Read Matthew 27:19. What is the importance of this message to Pilate? (Barnes' Notes says "Dreams were considered as indications of the divine will, and among the Romans and Greeks, as well as the Jews, great reliance was placed on them." Pilate's own judgment is now reinforced by a divine message!)

4. Read Matthew 27:15-18 and Matthew 27:20-23.What would you do if you were Pilate? You have your own judgment, divinely reinforced, against the unreasoned will of the crowd.

5. Read Matthew 27:24-26. What does this teach us about the future of religious liberty? (The government gives way to the crazy, demon-driven crowd. The evil person is released and the innocent person is sentenced to death.)

3. The Crucifixion

1. Read Matthew 27:41-44. How do you deal with insults that mock you in your area of strength? If you are very good-looking, someone says you are ugly. If you are very strong, someone says you are weak. If you are very smart, someone who is dumb calls you stupid.

2. Read Matthew 27:45-46. Are those insults getting to Jesus?

1. Read Psalms 22:1-2. We see that Jesus is quoting Psalms - or perhaps Psalms is prophesying what Jesus will say. Is Jesus showing a lack of faith in His Father? (First, this could hardly be a sin for the Bible would not predict a sinful statement by Jesus. Second, it is not sin to say, "God, why don't you answer? God, where are you when I need you?" The reason is that you are looking to God for help. It is when you trust yourself, or turn away from God that sin comes.)

2. Read Isaiah 59:1-2. What does this suggest is the reason for Jesus' statement? (Jesus carried our sins. He died for our sins. Our sins separated Him from God.)

3. What is the great irony of the insults hurled by the religious leaders? (While Jesus could have killed them all and stopped His agony, He suffered by dying for their sins. Not only were the charges completely false, but Jesus suffered these insults and pain because of the sins of humans.)

3. Read Matthew 27:50-51. What does the curtain have to do with Jesus' death? (Jesus fulfilled the sanctuary's sacrificial system.Hebrews 7:25-28. The sanctuary system no longer had any value. It was replaced by Jesus pleading His blood for us in the heavenly sanctuary. The fact that the curtain is torn from the top down shows that this was a supernatural act.)

4. Read Matthew 27:52-54. Imagine the terror of the religious leaders who witnessed people being raised to life and the Romans admitting Jesus was God!

1. Why did God raise people to life then? Why not wait until Jesus is raised to life on Sunday? (At His death, Jesus defeated sin and death. This is powerful evidence that Jesus rested in the grave on the Sabbath only to celebrate His defeat of sin and death. Just like Sabbath celebrates the work of Creation ( Exodus 20:11) and release from Egyptian slavery ( Deuteronomy 5:15), Jesus now celebrates our new life and our release from the slavery of sin and death by His Sabbath rest.)

4. Jesus' Resurrection

1. Read Matthew 27:65 and Matthew 28:1-3. How secure could Jesus' opponents make His tomb? (Not secure enough!)

2. Read Matthew 28:5-7. Do they have to take the word of the angel? (No! The angel shows them the empty tomb and tells them that Jesus will appear to them in Galilee.)

3. Read Matthew 28:8-10. Why doesn't Jesus wait to see them in Galilee, just as the angel stated? (I love this! Jesus apparently cannot wait! He wants to see the women who stayed with Him through His crucifixion ( Matthew 27:54-56) and share with them the good news!)

4. Read Matthew 28:16-17. How could a person doubt if they had seen Jesus alive? (Read 1 Corinthians 15:6 and John 20:24-25. We have the account of Thomas being slow to believe (because he was not present with the others), and we have large numbers of disciples. The point is that Jesus' followers came to belief at different times.)

1. Why mention the doubt? If Matthew's goal in writing his gospel is to have us believe Jesus is God, how is it helpful to mention that eye-witnesses doubted? (This gives us confidence in Matthew's honest account. If he was making this all up, he would not mention doubt. More important, Matthew wants us to know that Jesus being killed and coming alive is something that might take a while to accept.)

5. Read Matthew 28:18. What is Jesus' place in the universe? (All authority has been given to Him!)

6. Read Matthew 28:19-20 and Matthew 24:45-46. Recall that when we studied Matthew 24 we decided while we wait for Jesus to return our job is feeding the flock - advancing the Kingdom of God. What specific detail does Matthew 28:19-20 add? (We need to be making new disciples, baptizing them and teaching them.)

7. Re-read Matthew 28:20. What help does Jesus promise? (That He will be with us through to His Second Coming.)

1. How is that true? I thought Jesus returned to heaven? (ReadJohn 14:16-20 and John 16:5-7. Jesus does return to heaven, but Jesus is present with us in the Holy Spirit which lives in us! Talk about Jesus being with us - He lives in us if we are willing.)

2. Have you ever said "I wish I had been a disciple of Jesus so that I could have asked Him questions?" Is that question based on improper assumptions? (I think so. Since Jesus is available to live in us through the Holy Spirit, if you ask the Holy Spirit for direction you are in the same position as Jesus' disciples! What an amazing thought!)

8. Friend, Jesus suffered insults, pain and death to give us the opportunity for eternal life. What are you doing to share that good news with others? Why not commit today to sharing the good news?

blazingthru

Bible Study of the Week - GoBible.org
Lesson 7 - Servant Leadership

Posted: 13 May 2017 05:00 AM PDT

Introduction: When I first moved away from home, I joined a church that seemed to be perfect. It was wonderful! I liked the people. I liked the pastor. There were no divisions in the church. The next year, I got married and my wife started teaching in the school associated with this church. Once I started seeing the "inside" picture of the church, I realized that not all was calm, peaceful and unified. Peter has been advising us on various relationships, and this week we study his direction on relationships between the church and its leaders. Let's plunge into our study of the Bible and learn more!

1. Elders
    1. Read 1 Peter 5:1. When Peter writes to "elders" is he talking about those who hold a church office, or those of an advanced age? (Read 1 Peter 5:5. I've always assumed that Peter is talking about an office in the church, but looking more closely it appears Peter is talking about older people.)

2. Read 1 Peter 5:2. What is Peter asking of the older people? (To be "shepherds of God's flock. This is clearly a reference to holding an office or position in the church.)
      1. Think about this. Is it logical to link older members and those who hold a position of leadership in the church? Re-read 1 Peter 5:1 to see if you find any clues about this. (Peter says the older people were eye witnesses to the sufferings of Jesus. The idea is that older people know more, they have more experience, and therefore it is logical to make them leaders - shepherds.)

2. The commentators I read explained that the word "elder" meant an old person, but they also thought that in the early church it often referred to those who held high offices in the church. Why? Because of the link between age and holding these offices. Robertson's New Testament Word Pictures says that an early inscription used the term translated "elders," for town leaders - "alderman." Do you think there should be such a link in the modern church?
    3. Look again at 1 Peter 5:2. Why would Peter write "not because you must, but because you are willing?" (This convinces me that Peter is talking primarily about age, not office. It makes sense that he would write that the older members should serve as "overseers," not because it is mandatory, but because they want to do it.)
      1. In general, people get wiser with age. The problem is that I've known "knuckleheads" who do not change as they age. Is age the primary factor to consider? (Let's keep reading because I think Peter answers this question.)
    4. Read 1 Peter 5:2-3. We have discussed that older people have witnessed important history and should have gained wisdom. What other job requirements does Peter place on older people before they are qualified to hold the office of "overseers?"(They should be eager to serve. They should not be in it for the money. They should not "lord" it over the flock. They should be good examples.)
      1. I've been an "Elder" in the various churches where I was a member for most of my adult life. No one ever paid me any money. Is this a problem in your church?
        1. If money is not a problem, is there a parallel problem that does not involve money? Do any of the Elders benefit personally from holding a leadership position?
    5. Look again at 1 Peter 5:3. Is "lording it over" others a personal benefit? (Peter is describing a character trait that should be disqualifying for an overseer. You should not be doing the job because of personal benefit, whether that is financial, or a matter of ego, or authority. Peter allows Elders to be paid for the job, and enjoy the relative pride and authority that comes with it. However, he writes that you should do the job to benefit others, and not because you are "greedy" to feed your pride or assert authority.)
      1. If you have been an Elder, have you derived personal satisfaction from it? (Helping others gives great joy when they react positively. That is one of the blessings of the position.)

2. Over the years I've seen a pattern that seems most natural, but is a cause for concern. Church members whose occupations do not reward them with leadership positions, find that the church fills that need. The problem for these leaders is that losing the church position feels like being fired from a job - and the result is very difficult for the person and the church. Is this an unavoidable problem?

3. For a time I was concerned about my own motives. Was I teaching, preaching and leading because I liked being up front, or because I was trying to bring glory to God? Who was my primary object of glory? If you lead, have you thought about this issue? (Dr. William Shea, one of my denomination's leading theologians, became a member of my local church. He is an extraordinary example of a humble saint. One day I asked him, "Bill, when you teach and preach, do you do it in part because you like being in front?" He said, "Sure, that is a part of it." The fact that this humble man should appreciate that part of the job calmed my concerns. The goal is to advance the Kingdom of God. But enjoying the honor that comes your way is not sin. John 12:26.)
    6. Read 1 Peter 5:4. What is the ultimate reward of being an overseer? (Heaven! "The crown of glory." If your reason for leading is glory here, then you have already been paid in full here.)
  2. Youth
    1. Read 1 Peter 5:5. Why do you think it was important for Peter to write this? (Youth do not always realize that experience is important.)
      1. What overall mutual attitude does Peter command? (That we all, young and old, act with humility towards each other.)

2. What is the payoff for mutual humility? (If you are proud, God will resist you. If you are humble, God will give you grace.)
    2. Read 1 Peter 5:6. When is the "due time" that God will lift us up? (Young people will get old! At least, that is the goal. This also bolsters the point we studied earlier, that God desires to honor us.)

3. Read 1 Peter 5:7. What does anxiety have to do with being humble, and accepting direction from elders? (Ask yourself how much of your worry and fear has to do with losing face? Losing something that makes you appear important? Humility is a shield against anxiety.)
  3. Satan vs. God
    1. Read 1 Peter 5:8. Do you have a role in not being "devoured" by Satan? (Yes. Be "self-controlled and alert.")
      1. What do you think it means, as a practical matter, to be "devoured" by Satan?
    2. Read 1 Peter 5:9. Fighting Satan does not seem, on the face of it, to be a good idea. Look at what he did to Job. What, exactly, do you think Peter means when he tells us to "resist" Satan? (The key is the phrase, "standing firm in the faith." We put our trust in God. We have faith in God. The battle is between God and Satan, we are not standing alone against Satan.)
      1. Why is it important to know that other Christians are suffering? (It gives you comfort that you are not alone.)

2. Why does Peter mention "suffering" in the context of resisting Satan and keeping him from devouring us? (This context is extremely important. The battle has to do with trials and suffering. Satan brings difficulty into our life, and standing firm in our faith in God is the answer to this attack.)

3. Does our extensive discussion of humility have any application here? (If we are proud, we are less likely to immediately turn to God for help.)
    3. Read 1 Peter 5:10. On the one hand we have Satan who would like to "devour" us, who do we have on the other hand? (God!)
      1. What is God's attitude towards us? (Grace! He is the "God of all grace.")

2. What is God's plan for us? (To restore us from whatever injuries Satan causes, and to make us "strong, firm and steadfast.")
    4. Friend, do you desire to be "strong, firm and steadfast?" Understanding the right relationship with your government, your employer, your spouse, your suffering, your fellow church members, and the conflict between Satan and God, will put you on the path to being a Christian confident in God. Why not ask God today to help you, through the power of the Holy Spirit, to continue on the path of right relationships?
  4. Next week: Jesus in the Writings of Peter.