Seventh Day adventist

good2uuuu

natalied said:
No, I had already left. I left in 1997. I loved being in Hatiain Mass! But after I had my second child, I couldn't go to the rehearsals anymore. To tired! But it was so much fun!!!!

The best part of Haitian Mass was that it was interdenominational. I would say half were Adventist and the other half mostly COGIC or Pentecostal. It's was funny b/c half the choir would start shouting or catching the spirit and the other half would just look at them:lachen:

I know what you mean about that 'look' :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I am so over that, but my folks are old school, so they still look. I don't judge folks on how they act or react during a song or service. I don't know what kind of hell the devil has put them through that week that they are so thankful to be on the other side of. Shoot, I gotta shout with them too sometimes. Lord knows I have my fair share of trial and tribulations.

I also relate to having a kid and having to cut out the choir. Trying to keep up can really wear you out big time.

kisz4tj

I haven't been to KBT since the New Years Eve program. Were you there? Do you like the new Pastor? If you plan to be there this Sabbath we should definitely get together for lunch or something. I don't think I'll be staying for the concert tho.

MomofThreeBoys

Preach it sista!
good2uuuu said:
I know what you mean about that 'look' :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I am so over that, but my folks are old school, so they still look. I don't judge folks on how they act or react during a song or service. I don't know what kind of hell the devil has put them through that week that they are so thankful to be on the other side of. Shoot, I gotta shout with them too sometimes. Lord knows I have my fair share of trial and tribulations.
I also relate to having a kid and having to cut out the choir. Trying to keep up can really wear you out big time.

kisz4tj

AJamericanDiva said:
As you should know, Kingsboro is a very spirited church. When I was growing up in the church, there was a time you dare not clap your hands in church. Just maybe it could be done in an evening service, possibly if not held in the church or maybe they'd even wave their programs so the paper would make that noise. Other than that, it was strictly "Amen". I love attending Kingsboro as I can stand to my feet, lift my hands as I praise the Lord. Sometimes when I think of the goodness of the Lord, I can't contain myself.
Thats exactly why I joined. I needed to be in an atmosphere conducive to lively praise. I don't make it as often as I'd like. Lawd knows when I'm travelling from the BX the last thing I wanna do is beg the Lord for parking!! I'm jus sayin'

good2uuuu

Ya know! So yau are in Atlanta natalied? I have been trying to get there to live forever. My cousins live there a well as a gang of other friends.

good2uuuu

kisz4tj said:
Oh your Dad probably knows my grandmother. She was the treasurer at NEC for awhile.

Whose your grandma? Dad was prez from '67 to '85. My brother lives in Jersey now, but he plays the piano all over the place. Kingsboro is not his speed of service though.......

kisz4tj

good2uuuu said:
Whose your grandma? Dad was prez from '67 to '85. My brother lives in Jersey now, but he plays the piano all over the place. Kingsboro is not his speed of service though.......
Ida Williams

good2uuuu

AJamericanDiva said:
Yes, why thank you! Imagine that! A SDA makeup artist!!! :rofl:

Hey, I have considered cosmetology myself. Now imagine this SDA PK as a make-up artist....lol! Not to mention that my parents are old and old school.

MomofThreeBoys

Atlanta is wonderful!!! Its sort of like a mini NY :lol: Come on down to biggest chocolate city in the South!

good2uuuu said:
Ya know! So yau are in Atlanta natalied? I have been trying to get there to live forever. My cousins live there a well as a gang of other friends.

good2uuuu

kisz4tj said:
Thats exactly why I joined. I needed to be in an atmosphere conducive to lively praise. I don't make it as often as I'd like. Lawd knows when I'm travelling from the BX the last thing I wanna do is beg the Lord for parking!! I'm jus sayin'

I feel ya. My parents were members of City Tab and on the rare Sabbath dad wasn't speaking somewhere we would go there. The problem was that we lived on Long Island close to Belmont racetrack. Why could they not be members of Linden Blvd? City parking is such a mess!

MomofThreeBoys

I shared this with AJD. Me, my husband and some other families started a mission. We've been organzied for two years and the conference just told us we are able to get "church" status now. YEAH!!! We are a lay driven church. i.e. no pastor The conference has a pastor that "checks in" with us at least once a quarter. It's a lot of work but it's very rewarding. I was tired of being a pew warmer at a bigger church.

good2uuuu said:
BTW natalied, where do you go to church now?

good2uuuu

natalied said:
I shared this with AJD. Me, my husband and some other families started a mission. We've been organzied for two years and the conference just told us we are able to get "church" status now. YEAH!!! We are a lay driven church. i.e. no pastor The conference has a pastor that "checks in" with us at least once a quarter. It's a lot of work but it's very rewarding. I was tired of being a pew warmer at a bigger church.

That's fantastic! I know what you mean. You get restless warming the pew. If I ever get back to the ATL, I'll have to check you out. I always end up at Berean though when I'm there. The 2 places I can find without help in ATL are Berean and Lenox Square. Leave it to me to sniff out the ritzy side of town :ohwell:

MomofThreeBoys

good2uuuu said:
That's fantastic! I know what you mean. You get restless warming the pew. If I ever get back to the ATL, I'll have to check you out. I always end up at Berean though when I'm there. The 2 places I can find without help in ATL are Berean and Lenox Square. Leave it to me to sniff out the ritzy side of town :ohwell:

I live 15 min from Berean. I'm actually the secretary for the Sabbath Keepers Youth League which is a sports league started by parents at Berean. The league has since grown to include many other SDA churches and other denominations that worship on the Sabbath. That's another plus for Atlanta if you have kids.

I work right across the street from Lenox!:grin: It's VERY hard, but I TRY not to go unless I have too.

AJamericanDiva

kisz4tj said:

Gurl, I know exactly what you sayin'!!! :lachen: I'm coming from the Upper Eastside of Manhattan, closer than you, but it takes an effort to have everyone ready so we can find parking and get a seat in the sanctuary. If it gets too late we go to New York United right here in the city at 110 street, across from Central Park. Either that or watch it on the computer.

good2uuuu

natalied said:
I live 15 min from Berean. I'm actually the secretary for the Sabbath Keepers Youth League which is a sports league started by parents at Berean. The league has since grown to include many other SDA churches and other denominations that worship on the Sabbath. That's another plus for Atlanta if you have kids.

I work right across the street from Lenox!:grin: It's VERY hard, but I TRY not to go unless I have too.

The youth league is a woderful idea. My husband and I were discussing doing this in Nashville, but the Lord sent us here for these 3 years. I pray that we can get back to Nashville if ATL is not in the picture. That puts me close to my parents and close enough to ATL.

Do you know Rosalyn Warren or Nancy Howard (Howell) or Joe Howell? Just gotta ask You know we think everybody knows everybody....lol

MomofThreeBoys

Have you attended Jules' Church- City Tab? I only visited there b4 he arrived and it was very conservative. He hasn't brought the "Kingsboro" atmosphere there?
AJamericanDiva said:
Gurl, I know exactly what you sayin'!!! :lachen: I'm coming from the Upper Eastside of Manhattan, closer than you, but it takes an effort to have everyone ready so we can find parking and get a seat in the sanctuary. If it gets too late we go to New York United right here in the city at 110 street, across from Central Park. Either that or watch it on the computer.

kisz4tj

When you said your Dad was Prez I figured. It really is a small world. Yup I have fond memories of the office back in the day too.

MomofThreeBoys

Yes I know Joe. My best friend used to date a friend of his when they were in NY. His wife is pregnant now! They attend Shiloh church. My goddaughter's 'parents attend there. Her mom is also a member of this board. She knows Nancy very well. Hopefully she'll show up in this thread soon.

good2uuuu said:
The youth league is a woderful idea. My husband and I were discussing doing this in Nashville, but the Lord sent us here for these 3 years. I pray that we can get back to Nashville if ATL is not in the picture. That puts me close to my parents and close enough to ATL.

Do you know Rosalyn Warren or Nancy Howard (Howell) or Joe Howell? Just gotta ask You know we think everybody knows everybody....lol

kisz4tj

good2uuuu said:

I don't know about other denominations but when I come across other SDA's I definitely feel a sense of kinship. :)

kisz4tj

I watch it on the computer very often...in fact if it gets too late I don't see the point of sitting in the overflow room. Might as well watch it online.

AJamericanDiva

kisz4tj said:
Who'd a thunk it? EG White must be turning over :lol:

You got that right. I'm one of those people that don't like to quote E.G. White. I've read some of her stuff and I was like "What???" I even read where she had something against taking photos. Her writings are very much a part of the Adventist experience. I don't like to deal with it personally, so I even have to wonder if I am truly Seventh Day Adventist or just a Seventh Day observer. I've been to Seventh Day Baptist and other churches too....

Thank goodness I can have discussions with my uncle over topics that disturb me... this being one of them. I have come to realize though that religion won't get me saved. It's my personal relationship with Christ. That's why I don't stress over it too much. Why did I take this quiz that told you what your religion was based on your beliefs and SDA was maybe #6 of their suggested religions that they thought I was. I should post the quiz here if I can find it. I believe they had me down as Church of the Latter Day Saints as first choice. Very interesting. I must look for the quiz.

good2uuuu

kisz4tj said:
When you said your Dad was Prez I figured. It really is a small world. Yup I have fond memories of the office back in the day too.

Well, some memories are fond....lol. I hated having to be there late at night when the folks were working. Talk about bored! I'd wonder around the office, but not too much. Although Teddy Morgan and Brother Theodore were cool, there was one security guard who creeped me out.

AJamericanDiva

good2uuuu said:

Hey, I know Joe Howell!!!! He was also friends with my pals Arthur Powell, Erica Powell (can't remember her married name), June Sewer and my Godsister Jackie Williams (can't remember her married name either!)

AJamericanDiva

natalied said:
Have you attended Jules' Church- City Tab? I only visited there b4 he arrived and it was very conservative. He hasn't brought the "Kingsboro" atmosphere there?

I know City Tab is on the conservative side, hence I haven't visited. I don't know if it's changed since Jules' arrival, but somehow I doubt it. That's an old school church so I don't think they'll go for it... like Ephesus.

AJamericanDiva

kisz4tj said:
I watch it on the computer very often...in fact if it gets too late I don't see the point of sitting in the overflow room. Might as well watch it online.

Yup! I agree! I "try" not to do this too often. There is a church walking distance from my house. I call it the J.Crew church. It has mixed ethnic backgrounds. I tend to fall asleep too easy though. :nono:

kisz4tj

AJamericanDiva said:
I have come to realize though that religion won't get me saved. It's my personal relationship with Christ. That's why I don't stress over it too much.
Amen to dat Sista!
Why did I take this quiz that told you what your religion was based on your beliefs and SDA was maybe #6 of their suggested religions that they thought I was. I should post the quiz here if I can find it. I believe they had me down as Church of the Latter Day Saints as first choice. Very interesting. I must look for the quiz.
SAY WHAT?!?!? You've gotta find that quiz.