Not ALL conditioners can DEEP condition!!

Hot40

Wow very happy I was able to find this thread. I thougth deep conditioning was when I sat under the dry with a conditioner and plastic cap for 5 min.
Just so I am clear it must be 15 min for a deep conditioner and I need to locate the right products?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Hot... to be on the safe side look for deep conditioners that specifically say DEEP CONDITIONER/MASK on the jar. It's not all about the minutes. Also check out that motown girl link.

Hot40

Hot... to be on the safe side look for deep conditioners that specifically say DEEP CONDITIONER/MASK on the jar. It's not all about the minutes. Also check out that motown girl link.

Thanks I will try the link again could not get it to open earlier today. :drunk:

Vinyl

Thanks for this thread. I've been failing at deep conditioning. :laugh:

Can deep conditions also function as regular conditions (used more frequently) or is that harmful for the hair?

Artemis

I agree. It's not all about the minutes. Sometimes the package will say "deep-penetrating" or "infusing", or something luxurious like that.

ShaniKeys

Which HE conditioner is Motowngirl talking about? The pink one for color treated/damaged/dry hair? What about the Hello Hydration line by HE, can I use that one for DCing?

lowridin76

I use specific deep conditioners to DC, but have also been told that if you leave regular conditioner on...not necessarily for 3-5 mins. but leave it in a little before you rinse it out that it does nice things to your hair. I don't use regular conditioner often, so I can't say on way or the other.

gissellr78

I agree...I follow the 10-15 minute rule on my deep conditioners I make sure the ones i get specify to leave it on 10-15 mins....Instant or regular conditioners specify to rinse right away or leave 1-3 minutes.

Aireen

I have a question I hope someone will be able to answer it, if not I'll make a new thread and put a link to this one.

Okay, I understand that the point is cheapie conditioners don't penetrate the hair shaft, they just coat and lay down the cuticles versus deep conditioners that are able to go deeper than just the top layer of the hair.

Although...

What about cheapie conditioners that DO have an ingredient or have ingredients that ARE able to penetrate? Such as Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Conditioner, it has hydrolyzed silk which is supposed to be a tiny molecule able to penetrate the entire hair shaft. So due to this, wouldn't that mean leaving HE LRT longer than the regular instant conditioner would be beneficial?

Just a thought, since I just bought this product, it was around $2.50 CAD and because of the price it would be considered a cheapie conditioner.

Thanks in advance. :yep:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I have a question I hope someone will be able to answer it, if not I'll make a new thread and put a link to this one.

Okay, I understand that the point is cheapie conditioners don't penetrate the hair shaft, they just coat and lay down the cuticles versus deep conditioners that are able to go deeper than just the top layer of the hair.

Although...

What about cheapie conditioners that DO have an ingredient or have ingredients that ARE able to penetrate? Such as Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Conditioner, it has hydrolyzed silk which is supposed to be a tiny molecule able to penetrate the entire hair shaft. So due to this, wouldn't that mean leaving HE LRT longer than the regular instant conditioner would be beneficial?

Just a thought, since I just bought this product, it was around $2.50 CAD and because of the price it would be considered a cheapie conditioner.

Don't put too much into the "cheapie" aspect of it. That really has nothing to do with it. There's plenty of real dc's that are very cheap. I use one that's like less than $3 for a tub of it and the price dosen't make the performance any less. I guess people got into the habit of referring to instant conditioners as "cheapie conditioners".

To answer your question in the form of my opinion. No, HE LTR wouldn't be a dc even though is has that ingredient in it. If it says "deep conditioner", "mask", "deep penetrating", etc. than it's a dc, if not it's an instant.

Dposh167

Although...

(from what i remember since i'm never in the hair section)
yes....hydrolyzed silk has smaller molecules to penetrate. But it's not the only ingredient to rely on when wanting to DC aka....add moisture/protein deep within your shaft. Hydrolyzed silk will give u the protein aspect, but u also want those other strong moisturizing ingredients to give u the 'moisture aspect'

Aireen

Don't put too much into the "cheapie" aspect of it. That really has nothing to do with it. There's plenty of real dc's that are very cheap. I use one that's like less than $3 for a tub of it and the price dosen't make the performance any less. I guess people got into the habit of referring to instant conditioners as "cheapie conditioners".

To answer your question in the form of my opinion. No, HE LTR wouldn't be a dc even though is has that ingredient in it. If it says "deep conditioner", "mask", "deep penetrating", etc. than it's a dc, if not it's an instant.

Thanks for your reply, after your description and thinking it over I think I have a solid conclusion. :yep:

ETA :

(from what i remember since i'm never in the hair section)
yes....hydrolyzed silk has smaller molecules to penetrate. But it's not the only ingredient to rely on when wanting to DC aka....add moisture/protein deep within your shaft. Hydrolyzed silk will give u the protein aspect, but u also want those other strong moisturizing ingredients to give u the 'moisture aspect'

Exactly what I realized after reading the Pokahontas' reply, among other things. Thank you for your input as well. :)

Last edited:

curlyninjagirl

I have noticed some ladies refer to deep conditioning their hair simply by putting a regular conditioner on their hair and letting it sit for a while. Some conditioners will NEVER DEEP CONDITION your hair no matter how LONG you leave it!

Regular conditioners just work on the surface of your hair shaft --they do not penetrate it. Deep conditioners penetrate the hair shaft to provide conditioning from within. Letting a regular conditioner just sit on your hair will NEVER DEEP CONDITION your hair!

Think of this analogy: conditioner is to rinse/cellophane/henna as
deep conditioner is to permanent color/highlights.
A rinse will not permanently color your hair no matter how long you leave it on your head.

Make sure you are applying a DEEP conditioner when you want to DEEP CONDITION!

http://motowngirl.com/deep_conditioners.php
http://www.haircompounds.com/userimages/Ionproddesc.htm
Here's the thing though, what if u added some high quality penetrating oils and such to the regular conditioner, thus turning it into a deep conditioner? Would that be like adding "permanent color" to the to the "rinse"? :spinning:

fluffylocks

Thats why I dont understand the purpose of instant/cheap conditoners like v05 and stuff....if they just coat the hair.

I dont understand how they are beneficial if they dont actually go into the hair and do anything....Thats why i still dont really get co-washing with something like suave.

Do people use them becuase they deepconditon enough, and just use these as something after they shampoo to detangle their hair?
....Or do they help seal in the water in your hair?

When I use conditoners like suave and vo5, my hair always gets tangly, rough, and dry.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Thats why I dont understand the purpose of instant/cheap conditoners like v05 and stuff....if they just coat the hair.

I dont understand how they are beneficial if they dont actually go into the hair and do anything....Thats why i still dont really get co-washing with something like suave.

Do people use them becuase they deepconditon enough, and just use these as something after they shampoo to detangle their hair?

When I use conditoners like suave and vo5, my hair always gets tangly, rough, and dry.

Personally, I never co-wash with these.:nono: I use them specifically for rinsing out Henna/Indigo because they are 'cheaper' and they help to soften the hair. And I don't mind dumping a bottle of it on my head for a Buck or Less. That's their Sole Purpose, For Me.

And even when I use these for Hendigo rinsing, I will DC with something else.:look:

I think alot of Ladies like to co-wash with it, especially those that co-was frequently 3-5 times a week, because it is inexpensive and it does help to retain moisture and seal in oils. That's why 'some of them' will also leave some in as a leave in.

If it works for them....Great. :grin:

I just personally prefer to co-wash with other Conditioners.:yep:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

This is why i use them. Your post is the reason why I don't feel that co-washing is very moisturizing. I can't use co-washing as a means of moisturizing because i feel it's just coating the hair giving you the feeling that it's moisturized.

Tangie

Okay then, a lot of dominican conditioners say to leave in for 2-3 minutes and rinse out (ie. Silicon Mix) but many use it as a deep conditioner with great results, myself included. So is it or is it not a deep condish?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Okay then, a lot of dominican conditioners say to leave in for 2-3 minutes and rinse out (ie. Silicon Mix) but many use it as a deep conditioner with great results, myself included. So is it or is it not a deep condish?
I've used Silicon Mix and because of the ingredients and the fact that it states to leave on 2-3 minutes I do not consider it a dc.

I have dc'd with it before i knew this.