porosity - the forgotten step

are you aware of the pH of your products? you can select more than one option.

• I am aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 48 13.1%
  • I am not aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 128 34.9%
  • I have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I do not have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I have no clue what you're talking about

Votes: 119 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deusa80

ETA...

Or, you could:

1. Chealate or ACV rinse.
2. Protein
3. Porosity Control
4. Deep Condition

So, in other words, for those who protein but still have problems getting that moisture balance AFTER the protein, perhaps the Porosity Control BEFORE the Deep Conditioning treatment could solve the problem.

I'mma try it this weekend, as I need to perform another protein treatment. I also need to chealate.

Thanks for this, I think I'm also going to try this.. I used PC for the first time this week and did it as my last step, but I didn't like how my hair felt afterwards.

Is the mendex used as some sort of conditioner?

Sunshyn3

Great topic! I use PCC from the Creme of Nature line about once a week after I shampoo before I DC. On odd occassions I will add 2-3 tp of it in my DC and go under heat. Works wonders for my hair.

A good way to tell if a product is pH balanced is by looking at the ingredients and see if 1. citric acid 2. malic acid 3. lactic aicd is listed. These all help to lower the pH of the product making it more gentle on your hair.

For more Info, check out my blog --> Roux Porosity Control Conditioner

HairHustla

OP,

Thank you for this thread, you are definitely on to something because I have bee spending so much time and money trying to find something or even make something to soften my hair. My hair would be reasonably soft after washing but as it dried it would go right back to being kind of hard and crunchy so I tried the acv rinse this evening after my co-wash and after reading this thread and I did notice a stark difference. Thank you for this vital information, you are helping me out sistergirl!

melodies815

Not to cause any confusion...

...but wouldn't you protein and condish and THEN use Porosity control as the final step since it locks down the cuticle?

I read that someone used protein, then PC, then DC'd and did not like the way her hair felt. That might be because the cuticle was already closed and the moisture could not get in.

I've had PC used on me since I was about 7-8 years old by my mom's beautician. He's not my beautician now because we are overseas, but he always did all treatments FIRST and finished with PC. He said it sealed in all his work, and my hair never broke, shed, or anything prior to 2007 when I left the US for hubby's new military duty station. It also never grew because I knew nothing and protective styling and flat ironed my hair, wore it down all the time and did not sleep with a satin cap.

Anyway...I love this thread. Thanks, OP!!! I can't find PC over here and have asked my mom to send it to me.

I hope we find the best way to use it. What do you think about treatments first and then using PC to "seal them in" (for lack of a better description)?

cj

newflowers

ladies - thanks so much for contributing additional information and links; the more opinions and information we have, the better to grow our shiny locks.

Depending on what conditioner one uses, PC as the last step is an excellent idea. My last step moisturizing conditioner has a low pH, so I know I'm good on that score, and I like the smell of it better. This weekend, I;m going to try changing my process a bit and use the PC as the very last step to see how I like it. I think if one is unsure about the pH of conditioners used, then PC last is definitely the way to go.

For the person who said she did not like the way her hair felt after PC, I;m really curious to know your products and steps. To my knowledge (limited though it may be), after PC, or other acidifying step, your hair should feel really silky. Ladies, please correct me if I'm wrong, but even when I think my hair feels silky, PC gives it that extra little something to make it more so.

deusa80

ladies - thanks so much for contributing additional information and links; the more opinions and information we have, the better to grow our shiny locks.

Depending on what conditioner one uses, PC as the last step is an excellent idea. My last step moisturizing conditioner has a low pH, so I know I'm good on that score, and I like the smell of it better. This weekend, I;m going to try changing my process a bit and use the PC as the very last step to see how I like it. I think if one is unsure about the pH of conditioners used, then PC last is definitely the way to go.

For the person who said she did not like the way her hair felt after PC, I;m really curious to know your products and steps. To my knowledge (limited though it may be), after PC, or other acidifying step, your hair should feel really silky. Ladies, please correct me if I'm wrong, but even when I think my hair feels silky, PC gives it that extra little something to make it more so.

I mentioned that I didn't like how my hair felt after using PC, the best way I can describe it is it felt kinda rough.
I posted it on the my thread about having dry hair even when it's wet:http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=341547&page=4
Not sure if that will work, but there are pics there showing how it looked after I used PC. My hair looked better but didn't feel better.
I also mentioned it in the thread, but I co-washed with Sauve vanilla conditioner, used silicon mix and left on for about 10 mins(no heat) then used Yes To Carrots moisture mask and left on for about 40 mins w/heat, then used PC.
Do you think any of those products would interfere with how the PC worked?
Maybe I will have to use PC a few times to notice a difference, my hair has a long way to go.

melodies815

I mentioned that I didn't like how my hair felt after using PC, the best way I can describe it is it felt kinda rough.
I posted it on the my thread about having dry hair even when it's wet:http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=341547&page=4
Not sure if that will work, but there are pics there showing how it looked after I used PC. My hair looked better but didn't feel better.
I also mentioned it in the thread, but I co-washed with Sauve vanilla conditioner, used silicon mix and left on for about 10 mins(no heat) then used Yes To Carrots moisture mask and left on for about 40 mins w/heat, then used PC.
Maybe I will have to use PC a few times to notice a difference, my hair has a long way to go.

Hey there! Sorry for being too lazy to go back to see who posted that she didn't like how her hair felt.

Now that I read your steps, I wonder if you might have done better by starting off with a clarifying shampoo. Do you usually co-wash? If so, you probably had build-up and needed to get it off to get the benefit of the PC.

Also...I am not sure about using the silicon mix after co-washing. Is that cone-heavy? If so...it definitely would have interfered and kept the cuticle from lying down the way it is supposed to do. The cone coats the hair, thus the reason why is looked good and didn't feel the same.

Anyone else want to chime in on this? PC is just one of those products that cannot go wrong. If it does it's usually because of something we did...(hope that doesn't come across the wrong way. I mean no harm.)

Man, I wish I had had some tonight when I did my hair...

Bless you!
cj

deusa80

Hey there! Sorry for being too lazy to go back to see who posted that she didn't like how her hair felt.

Now that I read your steps, I wonder if you might have done better by starting off with a clarifying shampoo. Do you usually co-wash? If so, you probably had build-up and needed to get it off to get the benefit of the PC.

Also...I am not sure about using the silicon mix after co-washing. Is that cone-heavy? If so...it definitely would have interfered and kept the cuticle from lying down the way it is supposed to do. The cone coats the hair, thus the reason why is looked good and didn't feel the same.

Anyone else want to chime in on this? PC is just one of those products that cannot go wrong. If it does it's usually because of something we did...(hope that doesn't come across the wrong way. I mean no harm.)

Man, I wish I had had some tonight when I did my hair...

Bless you!
cj

Thanks for responding. I usually do co-wash, but I clarified last week(maybe I need to clarify more often...I don't know yet:perplexed). But neither the silicon mix or other conditioner are heavy on cones, they only have 1 each.
I'm washing my hair again this weekend, maybe I'll try clarifying first and skipping the protein and then try the PC. There are a lot of options to try I guess, I have a whole bottle to use, so hopefully I'll find the best way that works for my hair!

On another note, I bought Roux Fermodyl(Formulas 619 and 233) leave in today, they were BOGO at Sally's and I just couldn't resist buying them! Not sure when I'm going to try them...but maybe they will also help.

LaidBak

I bought some PC (and Mendex) about a week ago. I've used the PC twice so far. The second time was after my relaxer. Its too soon for me to make a reliable recommendation. But the way I use it is to wash, DC with heat, then mix PC with a moisturizing conditioner (Kenra) and apply for only 2 min. I've gotten good slip both times. I am hoping this will conquer my dryness and breakage issues and allow me to stretch w/o breakage. The PC I will use at every wash. The Mendex may be a once a month thing.

newflowers

I see in a later post that you recently clarified. Since you're using conditioners that have cones, I have a suggestion: clarify again, use the pc, then use the conditioners. If you do that, the cuticles will be flat, and then the cones that coat the hair will still be smooth.

I also know from personal experience that it takes a little time to whip your hair into shape. First it will begin to look better, then it will begin to feel better, and then it will be better, and then it will get longer and feel better and look better - it takes time.

CoffeeBean

I used to use PC. I currently use products that have a geat ph balance. I miss my PC. I always had amazing slip after using! :mopup:

rainbowknots

I wanna try this out this weekend, I read a thread where one lady suggested using straight acv for 2 minutes before shampooing, then using the diluted rinse after DCing, what I'm curious about is once you do that final acv rinse and seal the cuticles can you still use a leave in and moisturise, because if your cuticles are sealed, won't that keep out the other stuff?

msa

I've had PC used on me since I was about 7-8 years old by my mom's beautician. He's not my beautician now because we are overseas, but he always did all treatments FIRST and finished with PC. He said it sealed in all his work, and my hair never broke, shed, or anything prior to 2007 when I left the US for hubby's new military duty station. It also never grew because I knew nothing and protective styling and flat ironed my hair, wore it down all the time and did not sleep with a satin cap.

cj

Not to dispute your experience but shedding happens regardless of products. It's a natural part of a strand's life cycle so at some point hair is going to shed. Saying that it never did is inaccurate. Maybe you only had a bit that you didn't notice, but it was definitely there.

Also, hair is always growing, unless you're dead. But protective styling, less heat, and covering your hair definitely aid in retention, and that's how we accumulate length.

I hope I'm not being annoying.

I wanna try this out this weekend, I read a thread where one lady suggested using straight acv for 2 minutes before shampooing, then using the diluted rinse after DCing, what I'm curious about is once you do that final acv rinse and seal the cuticles can you still use a leave in and moisturise, because if your cuticles are sealed, won't that keep out the other stuff?

DO NOT put straight ACV on your hair. You MUST dilute it if you are going to use it. You are asking for a tangled, rough, knotted mess if you use it straight or it's not diluted enough.

They may have suggested acv first because it can remove build up, which will help your DC work better. Acv does help to make the cuticle lie flat and close it, but it's obviously not going to close every little particle out.

Also, the act of washing and DCing your hair (especially if you use warm water or heat for DCing) lifts up your cuticle again anyway, so that's why you'd use the acv rinse afterward as well.

deusa80

I see in a later post that you recently clarified. Since you're using conditioners that have cones, I have a suggestion: clarify again, use the pc, then use the conditioners. If you do that, the cuticles will be flat, and then the cones that coat the hair will still be smooth.

I also know from personal experience that it takes a little time to whip your hair into shape. First it will begin to look better, then it will begin to feel better, and then it will be better, and then it will get longer and feel better and look better - it takes time.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this today, clarified then used the PC, followed by the conditioners and my hair didn't feel rough like it did the first time.:grin: It still needs a lot of work though...

Just so I understand correctly, the PC doesn't seal the cuticle, it just allows the cuticle to lay flat and be smooth, is that correct?

I know I will have to do this for a while and try some different methods to see which works best for my hair, but I think I'm on the right track.

AtlantaJJ

Great thread!!

The Joico 17 minute miracle has the PC type product as the second step in the 4 step process. The first is chealating shampoo, the second the cuticle sealer, third protein, fourth moisture.

newflowers

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this today, clarified then used the PC, followed by the conditioners and my hair didn't feel rough like it did the first time.:grin: It still needs a lot of work though...

Just so I understand correctly, the PC doesn't seal the cuticle, it just allows the cuticle to lay flat and be smooth, is that correct?

I know I will have to do this for a while and try some different methods to see which works best for my hair, but I think I'm on the right track.

Yes, as I understand it, that is correct. By no means do I have all of the answers, but I highly recommend that anyone interested in more information check out Sistaslick's fotki - she has a wealth of information about this topic and many others.

here is the link: http://public.fotki.com/sistaslick/sistaslicks-healthy/

Last edited:

ellebelle88

Ok, so I'm confused. What is the difference between sealing the cuticle and having it lie flat? And what effect should we be shooting for?

newflowers

If you refer back to the pictures I posted earlier,, this will make sense. You want the cuticle to be flat/smooth against the hair shaft for all of the reasons discussed. You also want to seal the hair shaft if you tend to have dry hair which means a layer of product to hold in the moisture (think prevent evaporation) to protect your hair when you go out in the elements.

So the answer is you want both.

AtlantaJJ

This is worth understanding because if you get this down you will have smooth, shinny, moisturized non-tangling hair no matter if you are a 1a hair type or a 4z. This is important. I'm following the Joicio model and doing my PC right after shampooing and again at final rinse after DCing in some cases. I also make sure to buy products that are pH balanced for hair.

morehairplease

Do you think using Beyond the Zone Acid Shock would be a good alternative to use to PC?

I have it in my stash and don't want to buy anything else.

On the front of the bottle, it says it's a conditioning booster. It locks down cuticle and locks in color and shine. It has a 3.8 acid ph balancer level. You mix equal parts in with your conditioner.

I see the ph is not as high as the PC, but I am a natural 4a/b with no color and rarely uses heat. But, when I do blow dry or flat iron, I want my hair to be properly prepped.

Thanks

Hi there,

Where did you purchased your acid shock from? I tried sally's and didn't see it?

thanks in advance

AtlantaJJ

Would PC be okay to use on natural, fine hair?
I would dare say it's most important for our types. I'm a fine natural. There are other products other than PC, some ladies use natural methods such as Apple Cider vinegar rinses. You can use tea rinses too, like green team, they tend to be acidic which helps close the cuticles.

Buttercreme

Hi there,

Where did you purchased your acid shock from? I tried sally's and didn't see it?

thanks in advance

While in Sally's yesterday, I happen to glance down and I saw the Beyond the Zone-Acid Shock, but it was on the clearance shelf,

I wanted to buy it, but the clerk said it was being discontinued. I didn't want to buy it only to have it work so well and then not be able to find it.

ellebelle88

If you refer back to the pictures I posted earlier,, this will make sense. You want the cuticle to be flat/smooth against the hair shaft for all of the reasons discussed. You also want to seal the hair shaft if you tend to have dry hair which means a layer of product to hold in the moisture (think prevent evaporation) to protect your hair when you go out in the elements.

So the answer is you want both.

Thank you newflowers, I reread some of the posts on the thread, however what can be done to "seal the cuticle"? I dont think I saw an answer for this one because all I saw was discussion on PC and ACV. I could have missed it, so can you lead me in the right direction? I'm off to read sistaslicks threads!