Boiling water and hair

Poutchi

Hello Ladies,
Next week, I will be putting some braid with extension to my hair. Since I have been thinking of doing this, I was wondering what will be the effect of the boiling water on my ends. Since the ends of the braids are usually dipped in hot water to seal them and give them shape, I am wondering if I need to stop where my hair is no longer is the braid or if that won't break my ends.
I know it has been done to my hair before but now that I am all conscious about my hair, I kinda wonder....
:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed:perplexed

L.Brown1114

i wonder about this too. i doubt its safe sense ppl say ur suppose to rinse your hair with warm water and not hot, so boiling would be overdoing it. maybe u can try dipping it in really hot oil, this seals the cuticle and maybe it will have the same effect.

Nonie

I don't believe temperature has any effect on closing or opening of hair cuticles. I believe it is the pH that makes that difference, so I don't believe hot water will seal the cuticles as suggested.

I personally would not dip my hair ends into boiling water. I don't think it'd destroy them since we tend to straighten hair with a lot more heat than that, but I don't see what good it would do to dip my hair in boiling water. If dipping extension hair to seal, I say dip just the fake hair and stop a long way from getting your own hair in there.

And this is another reason why you must get extension hair that is longer than your own hair and braid way past your own hair so that your ends are kept detangled and knot-free and also so that if there's any hot water dipping, you don't involve your hair in that dunk.

BTW, if you'll be using human hair, I don't think you need to dip anything. I believe that's only useful when using synthetic extension hair.

Last edited:

L.Brown1114

I don't believe temperature has any effect on closing or opening of hair cuticles. I believe it is the pH that makes that difference, so I don't believe hot water will seal the cuticles as suggested.

I personally would not dip my hair ends into boiling water. I don't think it'd destroy them since we tend to straighten hair with a lot more heat than that, but I don't see what good it would do to dip my hair in boiling water. If dipping extension hair to seal, I say dip just the fake hair and stop a long way from getting your own hair in there.

And this is another reason why you must get extension hair that is longer than your own hair and braid way past your own hair so that your ends are kept detangled and knot-free and also so that if there's any hot water dipping, you don't involve your hair in that dunk.

BTW, if you'll be using human hair, I don't think you need to dip anything. I believe that's only useful when using synthetic extension hair.

no with oil. someone told me to do this if the kimmaytube leave in didnt work to seal my ends but it did so i never used it personally

Nonie

no with oil. someone told me to do this if the kimmaytube leave in didnt work to seal my ends but it did so i never used it personally

When people "seal with oil", my understanding isn't that they close cuticles that were open but rather they coat the hair strand with a cover so that the hair is not exposed to the elements. I don't know what Kimmaytube leave in is but if it is a watery product whose water could easily evaporates, then an oil may help prevent moisture loss, hence the suggestion to seal with oil. I don't know what it being hot has to do with anything except perhaps if it's an oil that is usually solid, when heated it's easier to spread. Since heat melts solids, perhaps warm oil that penetrates strands might be less viscous when heated hence easily absorbed.

L.Brown1114

When people "seal with oil", my understanding isn't that they close cuticles that were open but rather they coat the hair strand with a cover so that the hair is not exposed to the elements. I don't know what Kimmaytube leave in is but if it is a watery product whose water could easily evaporates, then an oil may help prevent moisture loss, hence the suggestion to seal with oil. I don't know what it being hot has to do with anything except perhaps if it's an oil that is usually solid, when heated it's easier to spread. Since heat melts solids, perhaps warm oil that penetrates strands might be less viscous when heated hence easily absorbed.

oh well good thing the kimmaytube leave in worked lol. its kinky curly knot today leave in mixed with aloe vera juice, jojoba oil, and castor oil. it has a ph balance of 4.5 to seal the cuticle

greight

Personal experience: I used to dip my extensions in hot water all the time with no issues. And I mean like 10 -12 inches of hair dipped in hot water. No splits, nadda.

My splits have come with my hair exposed to the elements though (no extensions). :ohwell:

Poutchi

Thanks a lot ladies for the answers :). I am debatting putting braids in with extension at the ends to protect the ends.