Slow growers unite 2014

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Don't worry, soon you'll have people IRL telling you to relax your hair lol! Do you think maybe she is jealous? Don't let one person ruin your personal hair journey.

People are fickle about everything. I did it for me. Later for everybody else lol you can't be more right.

CharlieEcho

I did a trim at the end of dec and doing a search and destroy revealed more splits. I'm peed :sad:

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Spongebob

Hair type - ain't got a clue- but extremely fine hair, and damaged ends

Did you ever have long hair as a child? shoulder blade length, but it was thick strong and well cared for

How long have you been on your hair journey ? Since end of August 2009

Was your hair damaged when you started your journey ? I freshly texlaxed it after growing it out for 2.5 years, and after finding out that texlaxed hair equals damaged hair and will eventually break off, and since not ever having heard of transitioning I shaved it all off.

How long did it take you to get from where you were length and health wise to where you are now ? 4 years and 5 months

What are the hair issues responsible for impeding your growth ? Lazy regimen, or non existent regimen. Allowing it out all the time and therefore allowing it to tangle badly, and breakage when detangling consequently. My lazy regimen has a domino effect.

If you managed to turn your hair round, how did you manage it? I haven't managed it yet, but it would take very little for me to manage it, as I just have to cut off damaged ends (forever procrastinated this), and then keep hair in braids and prevent tangles, to reduce breakage when consequently detangling it.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
My baby girl has very fine cottony 4b and 4c hair. Im trying to grow it out, but she is a slow grower like me. She is almost 2 and her hair is probably 3 inches all over. I use the loc method for her hair and it stays moisturized for days. Daddy is white so when he bathes her he uses shampoo (doesnt know any better). I only cowash her hair since its already dry. If only my mom was more knowledgeable about hair I wouldve been able to get past neck length :(

Attachments

• 20140122_101214.jpg
    20140122_101214.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Lol. Youre probably right about dh. I feel bad because he does his best. He is pretty good at styling her hair too :) Thanks for posting the link! Froreal3

Harina

Hey ladies. My straight hair was getting oily and weighed down so I sprayed dry shampoo on my roots and the length of my hair, let it sit for minute and brushed it clean. Now I have body again and my hair smells great! I got my dry poo from walgreens and it works wonders on straightened hair

Prettymetty What brand of dry shampoo did you buy?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Just slowly, but surely plodding along here. I am almost done w/my second bottle of Priteva. Not sure if they are making a difference yet. :look: I hope they are. My roots feel a little thicker. I'm also still applying my NJoy oil every other day.

My growth/retention seemed to have stalled in the fall/winter months, so hopefully I will see a boost by my birthday in March. I at least want to make MBL by the summer (I have about 3 more inches to go for that).

ronie

My baby girl has very fine cottony 4b and 4c hair. Im trying to grow it out, but she is a slow grower like me. She is almost 2 and her hair is probably 3 inches all over. I use the loc method for her hair and it stays moisturized for days. Daddy is white so when he bathes her he uses shampoo (doesnt know any better). I only cowash her hair since its already dry. If only my mom was more knowledgeable about hair I wouldve been able to get past neck length :(

Prettymetty
She is such a cutie. My daughter was bald in most places up until months after her first birthday. She turned 3 in October, and her hair is 7-8 inches in most places. Her hair didn't really start growing until late 2012. So I am sure your daughter s hair will pick up soon. She is just too adorable.

ronie

So I'm about 2 inches from APL. Since I only retain 3-4 inches a year, I hope to be there by mid summer and if I gain anything extra, I can do a nice trim at the end of the year to be a clean healthy APL.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I havent done a length check since last month, but I feel a little new growth. Im gonna cowash tomorrow in sections and check my length. Hopefully im inching towards bsb :yep:

faithVA

I don't see much growth happening. I am doing e everything I can to maximize it. I think I am improving my dry hair issues. If I could get 2 inches by summer that would be great. That would only put me st NL but I can work with that.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I just drenched my hair with aloe/glycerin spray and massaged my scalp with jamaican black castor oil. It has an earthy smell...gotta get used to that. Im hoping to get a growth spurt soon. Im getting impatient, because I want to be bsl already. I reached mbl with a relaxer, but now that im natural I had to start from scratch (no pun intended). Im going to straighten my hair next month at my dominican salon. I hope I retained an inch in the past 3 months. I think my growth rate is 1/3 inch per month. At that rate I should only trimonce a year

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
^^Prettymetty I know how you feel about being impatient. I should really be happy with what I have because my hair has never been this long in my life. It's always been around neck length. However, I am greedy and I want as many inches as possible this year. :lol:

And honestly, I only dust quarterly, about 1/4 inch off each time. I need to retain every cm to reach my goals.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Question for everyone:

I tend to set ambitious goals (like WL 2014 and I am BSB/BSL w/5 inches to go). Do you think we're kidding ourselves when we do this? I did retain about 5 inches last year, but that was in addition to using topical growth aides. :look: Sometimes I doubt myself and think I will be lucky to make full MBL this year (which is about 3 inches away).

Do you set realistic goals for yourselves or are you ambitious?

ronie

I just drenched my hair with aloe/glycerin spray and massaged my scalp with jamaican black castor oil. It has an earthy smell...gotta get used to that. Im hoping to get a growth spurt soon. Im getting impatient, because I want to be bsl already. I reached mbl with a relaxer, but now that im natural I had to start from scratch (no pun intended). Im going to straighten my hair next month at my dominican salon. I hope I retained an inch in the past 3 months. I think my growth rate is 1/3 inch per month. At that rate I should only trimonce a year

:lachen: I agree. Every time i have to trim i get upset. But i always love the feel of freshly trimmed ends. I did another 1/2 inch while my hair was straight, so i am going to skip my scheduled trim for March. Next one is in April when i plan to blow dry again for my birthday.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Question for everyone:

I tend to set ambitious goals (like WL 2014 and I am BSB/BSL w/5 inches to go). Do you think we're kidding ourselves when we do this? I did retain about 5 inches last year, but that was in addition to using topical growth aides. :look: Sometimes I doubt myself and think I will be lucky to make full MBL this year (which is about 3 inches away).

I set realistic goals so that im not disappointed. I reached apl from nl in 9 months. That was unexpected. I had given myself a year. From apl to bsl im giving myself another year. And then bsl to waist will be a year. That gives me freedom to trim an inch a year and still retain 3". I think bsl is 2-3 inches away. I will measure again next time I straighten

ronie

Question for everyone: I tend to set ambitious goals (like WL 2014 and I am BSB/BSL w/5 inches to go). Do you think we're kidding ourselves when we do this? I did retain about 5 inches last year, but that was in addition to using topical growth aides. :look: Sometimes I doubt myself and think I will be lucky to make full MBL this year (which is about 3 inches away). Do you set realistic goals for yourselves or are you ambitious?

I set goals based on what I know my hair can do. I reached a little past SL from a TWA in a year. So I think it s reasonable to give myself another year to reach APL. then another year for BSL which is my ultimate goal for now. To be honest, in my heart I do hope (pray, wish, desperately want, expect, lol) to reach my goals earlier than the set dates.
Froreal3, you will make MBL by year end. You take good care of your hair, so you shouldn't doubt yourself. I plan to PS seriously until I make APL.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I need to go back to my twists in a bun regimen. I feel like I've been manipulating my hair too much with my hair "loose". Technically it is not loose. I wear it in two braids on either side of my head or one braid in the back of my head every day. But when I go to apply my sulfur oil every other day, I have to take the braid down. I feel that is manipulation. With twists, it seems like my hair is more protected. I don't know. Maybe it's psychological.

I also need to dust about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off. :cry:

I HATE dusting.

faithVA

[USER said:
Froreal3;19719499[/USER]]I need to go back to my twists in a bun regimen. I feel like I've been manipulating my hair too much with my hair "loose". Technically it is not loose. I wear it in two braids on either side of my head or one braid in the back of my head every day. But when I go to apply my sulfur oil every other day, I have to take the braid down. I feel that is manipulation. With twists, it seems like my hair is more protected. I don't know. Maybe it's psychological.

I also need to dust about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off. :cry:

I HATE dusting.

Have you tried the nozzle from Sally's to help you get the oil directly to your scalp? Maybe you wouldn't have to take your braids down. You could get the oil to your scalp and just massage it in.

pearlific1

Question for everyone:

I try to only set realistic goals for myself. While I would love to grow and retain 6"/yr, I know that I barely get over 4"-4.5"/yr. If I trim, that means I'm only keeping about 3.5"-4" so no, you won't see me in MBL 2014 or WL 2015 when I'm hardly APL.

This year I'm focused on APL. I'm probably 2" away but if I get 4" this year I know that I can potentially graze BSB by this Dec. That is a realistic goal. MBL by Dec is not a realistic goal so I won't put that pressure/stress on myself to "speed up" my hair growth and retain, retain, retain.

HanaKuroi

My bangs are just not going to grow past my top lip. I have given up. They are slow to no grow. I don't have splits or damage. This is the very front, four inches across section. 4x2 inch area. Why is it so stubborn? I guess it is because when I used heat I used the most in that area. It has been almost two years since I have used heat in that area. It isn't thinning. Just grows slow.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Im going to do a sneak peak length check on my bangs. Last time I checked they were right at chin length. Im not sure if I should trim them to eye length or cheek length. Maybe ill just grow out the bangs...decisions.

My ng still only looks to be around an inch long. It has been exactly 3 months since I dyed my hair. I have to start eating better, drinking water and exercising. For hair health and body health. I would like to lose weight while im growing my hair. By the end of the year I want to grow 3 more inches of hair and lose 30 lbs. I only have 9 months left...

Last edited:

charmtreese

I try to only set realistic goals for myself. While I would love to grow and retain 6"/yr, I know that I barely get over 4"-4.5"/yr. If I trim, that means I'm only keeping about 3.5"-4" so no, you won't see me in MBL 2014 or WL 2015 when I'm hardly APL.

This year I'm focused on APL. I'm probably 2" away but if I get 4" this year I know that I can potentially graze BSB by this Dec. That is a realistic goal. MBL by Dec is not a realistic goal so I won't put that pressure/stress on myself to "speed up" my hair growth and retain, retain, retain.

This is me all day!!

I try to set realistic goals for my hair as well, there is no need to fool myself into believing that I will grow 6 inches in a year. If I do get a growth spurt or some random growth that is unexpected, I'll take it! But when it comes to setting goals I never want to over shoot, because it only ends in disappointment! :look: