~~~The LHCF Guide to Healthy Relaxed Hair~~~

LaidBak

We should keep the thread going by adding lessons we have learned about taking care of relaxed hair.

ETA: I guess I'll start. 30 plus years relaxed checking in. My hair did not improve until I started using natural oils. So pick a heavy weight oil (olive, castor, etc.) to add to your deep condish and a lightweight oil (sunflower, almond, etc.) to leave in. Dont be heavyhanded and you wont sacrifice a bit of swang.
I may not have figured it all out yet, but this one thing helped me tremendously when I started out.

Bnster

I just joined "the other side" approximately 2 hours ago, lol.

Thanks for this.

Evallusion :welcome3: to the other side and HHJ!

ETA: My life hair lesson, was to take care of my hair and not to be lazy. Once I got hair possessed, my hair took a turn around. I stopped going to my scissor happy stylist and I retained my growth. My hair looked healthy. My hair is now soft and much longer so much a turn around to where I was 3 yrs ago.

My Tips -
1. Bag and seal your ends.
2. Reduce mechanical damages eg combing by moisturizing first.
I have stopped using scrunchies (satin or not) cause they cause breakage.
3. Detangle first b4 washing with a moisturize and oil (prepoo).
4. Wash in braids and detangle in the shower.

Last edited:

Kimiche

Shout out to all my relaxed heads!!! This bump's for you!

Thanks for creating this thread. This is surely coming at the right time, because I need to find information about how I can care for my relaxed hair a little better. :yep:

Monaleezza

This guide is fabulous. Glad to see support for the relaxed beauties all in one place.
I'm loving my new APL relaxed hair.
Next stop BSL