MHM Hangout

faithVA

I also am using the original UFD curly magic and it is flaking a bit. I thought maybe the flaking was dandruff from my hair not getting 100% clean, but it is good to know that it isn't something I'm doing wrong. I guess the gel comes with a price.

I really need to try some Rhassoul! Waiting for my refund check this week.

I think at the end of the day, the MHM is a very broad regimen kind of like the CG Method. The CG Method has a couple of core principles, but everyone modifies it to their liking. The same thing with MHM. Who cares if someone modifies their clay recipe or leaves it on overnight. That's nitpicking way to much. The MHM is basically a wash and go reggie with gentle clarifiers (clay, acv, BS) and thats all.

I think you misunderstood what I said.

aharri23

I think you misunderstood what I said.

Lol I know that was in reply to you, but the last part was just a general comment. I know you weren't nitpicking about recipes and whatnot. I'm just saying that cause many people were upset when msdeekay said she made changes regarding baking soda and stuff.

faithVA

Lol I know that was in reply to you, but the last part was just a general comment. I know you weren't nitpicking about recipes and whatnot. I'm just saying that cause many people were upset when msdeekay said she made changes regarding baking soda and stuff.

Well I'm glad you didn't leave us even if you do decide you need a break.

aharri23

Well I'm glad you didn't leave us even if you do decide you need a break.
Don't get me wrong I am extremely grateful I have found the MHM.

I stuck with it for 9 almost 10 months. 2-3 hours each time I did it, 2-3x a week. I really am just burnt out. I know which products to avoid and how to clarify my hair. My curls look better than when I was strict CG, but the time needed to maintain the method is becoming a bit overwhelming. There would be plenty of days where I needed to re-do my wash and go, but because it was such a loong process I would end up post-poning my wash days when my hair needed water because I felt like I had to do the whole regimen each time I did my hair.

That being said I hope not to discourage everyone, I'm just saying I will clarify when I feel the need to. I feel like bentonite clay and baking soda 2-3x a week is just overkill for my hair personally.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
I diluted my BS mix with more water today and clarified my hair (probably should have added more conditioner). My hair felt fine but something strange happened with the front of my hair. It looked dry and extremely frizzy and seemed to either have soaked up more than normal or not penetrated at all, i was so confused. I put extra conditioner on and it just didnt improve at all (my DC was heated BTW). I steamed the DC and then rinsed just about all of it off and lightly reapplied to DC overnight. The front is now soft and curly agaon and I'm feeling little clumps of definition all over my head. I'm looking forward to my clay step tomorrow; this time I plan to add a little argan oil and raw honey to the rhassoul.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

faithVA

I'm fighting off a cold today and hopefully I'm successful. Tomorrow is wash day. If I can get it in, it will be a short one. I will just do step 1 and step 4 and 5. I will have a full wash day on Friday.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Regimen completed. I got not too bad results, nothing substantial...steaming is my BFF for sure. I learned I have to steam step 2 and steam step 4 in, in addition to using warm conditioner. Some of these strands on my head gone catch a beat down. Why do they have to be so stubborn!?! I'm going in for another cut so that should take care of these few stick straight ends...if not, I'll have to start growing my hair with or without them.

Smiley79

I cant wait to finish my jar of the bentonite clay. I wish I had listened to faithVA...I'm gonna try the Rhassoul clay instead. I absolutely love the clumping and definition that I have gained from using the bentonite clay, hands down, but I think it is causing my hair to get dry. I need to see where I can get my hands on some Rhassoul clay. :)

On another note, as much as I am enjoying this method and hair care, I need a break. I think I'm gonna do a protective style (wig) and give my hair and hands a break. I like where I'm at so far and I'm not in a hurry to reach max hydration or overdo anything. Actually, my hair has progressed beyond my expectations and I look forward to seeing more, but I think a few weeks of protective style will be a nice break. (lets see if I can make it, lol. I start to miss my hair real quick!)

discodumpling

Day 5 of my initial treatment and my hair is clumping more each day. After Thursday I will go back to every 3 days and hope to reach MH by summer time. My hair is super thirsty but responds well to all this TLC and minimal product usage.
[URL=http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Discodumpling/media/20150127_135641-1_zpswl1q7bgr.jpg.html][IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/Discodumpling/20150127_135641-1_zpswl1q7bgr.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

GGsKin

Completed another routine wash today. Looking forward to rocking a puff tomorrow, if it dries enough in the middle. I didn't squeeze out excess water after I added my leave in, but I did use a t-shirt to blot my roots after I applied my (hopefully not too diluted) gel.
Progress seems good. I am noticing not only more definition with the clay but clumping further up my strands in general.

I ordered some ph test/strips (my lurking has me late-night buying lol)....I'm thinking it will be an interesting experiment:).

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Regimen completed. I got not too bad results, nothing substantial...steaming is my BFF for sure. I learned I have to steam step 2 and steam step 4 in, in addition to using warm conditioner. Some of these strands on my head gone catch a beat down. Why do they have to be so stubborn!?! I'm going in for another cut so that should take care of these few stick straight ends...if not, I'll have to start growing my hair with or without them. Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF
You know what's funny, I have a few stick straight gray hairs and I haven't had a relaxer since July 2013. I'm glad I don't have a lot of gray yet but those straight ones are the worst...I don't even care about the color I just want them to behave like the rest of my hair. Do you do clay very time you cleanse?

Smiley79

Feel free to call me Pinocchio :rolleyes: from now on...after my elaborate post earlier where I said I wanted a break from my hair regimen, yours truly, Smiley79 went home and did what? Yup. Her hair....

And I loved it ofcourse....lol. It's like my therapy.:wiggle:

Tonight I tried something new, after abandoning ACV the past few weeks, I randomly decided to use it. WOW. That's all I can say. Maybe using the baking soda the past few weeks opened up my hair to receive the ACV in a better way than the in the beginning of me starting the MHM. Whatever it is, I really like how it left my hair feeling. I decided to stop the baking soda for now because I haven't been using gel or much of any products. So I thought to myself, why continue to use such an agressive build-up remover? The ACV did the trick. I sprayed it to my hair, went under the dryer for 5 minutes, rinsed it out, deep conditoned with the Naturelle Growth deep conditoner (shout out to faithVA for that recommendation), sat under the dryer for 15 minutes, rinsed it out and now I'm sitting here letting my hair air dry 50-75% before I apply my leave in and twist up my hair. I think I will use the baking once soda every 2 weeks and then eventually once a month.

Another funny thought, I've been so mad lately, each time I want to take a picture my hands are filthy or soaking wet or my counter area is just not suitable for electronics :lol:...so I say to myself "Next Time"...smh

And final update, I cannot believe how much my hair is LOVING the use of warm-little less than hot water. I mean love. It comes to show, you really have to try things for yourself. All these years, warm/hot water was a taboo word for natural hair....not anymore! my hair loves it.:yep:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
You know what's funny, I have a few stick straight gray hairs and I haven't had a relaxer since July 2013. I'm glad I don't have a lot of gray yet but those straight ones are the worst...I don't even care about the color I just want them to behave like the rest of my hair. Do you do clay very time you cleanse?

Really!?! What do you think is the issue? My gray is covered with a demi permanent but I think its the gray and normal strands that are sticking up. I've been clipping them since day one...there are definitely less now. Audrey Sivasothy's book says this is to be expected for the first few weeks post BC but you are 1.5 years post relaxer. Yes, I've been doing the clay step at least twice a week but I'm doing another 7 day stretch. Tonight I start day 2 of 7. Why do you ask? Cattypus1

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Feel free to call me Pinocchio :rolleyes: from now on...after my elaborate post earlier where I said I wanted a break from my hair regimen, yours truly, Smiley79 went home and did what? Yup. Her hair....

And I loved it ofcourse....lol. It's like my therapy.:wiggle:

Tonight I tried something new, after abandoning ACV the past few weeks, I randomly decided to use it. WOW. That's all I can say. Maybe using the baking soda the past few weeks opened up my hair to receive the ACV in a better way than the in the beginning of me starting the MHM. Whatever it is, I really like how it left my hair feeling. I decided to stop the baking soda for now because I haven't been using gel or much of any products. So I thought to myself, why continue to use such an agressive build-up remover? The ACV did the trick. I sprayed it to my hair, went under the dryer for 5 minutes, rinsed it out, deep conditoned with the Naturelle Growth deep conditoner (shout out to faithVA for that recommendation), sat under the dryer for 15 minutes, rinsed it out and now I'm sitting here letting my hair air dry 50-75% before I apply my leave in and twist up my hair. I think I will use the baking once soda every 2 weeks and then eventually once a month.

Another funny thought, I've been so mad lately, each time I want to take a picture my hands are filthy or soaking wet or my counter area is just not suitable for electronics :lol:...so I say to myself "Next Time"...smh

And final update, I cannot believe how much my hair is LOVING the use of warm-little less than hot water. I mean love. It comes to show, you really have to try things for yourself. All these years, warm/hot water was a taboo word for natural hair....not anymore! my hair loves it.:yep:

Doing my hair is very therapeutic for me too, I really do love doing my little fro! As for warm/hot water...it feels so good and it works.

Duchess007

It's that time again.

ACV rinse for ~15 min
DC for 1 hour under bonnet
Rhassoul mask for 15 min
Fenugreek/green tea rinse under leave in
Whipped shea

ETA: after tea rinse

image-2971925474.jpg

After leave in and shea

image-1517854561.jpg

Last edited:

HopefulOne

My MHM regimen repeated every three days
BS and approved conditioner with honey and olive oil
Approved conditioner
Bentonite clay with molasses and ACV and olive oil
Approved leave-in
Aloe Vera diluted spray
Forbidden stylers
Day two - put Crisco in overnight -rinse in the morning use approved conditioners and leave-ins
Day three - put Crisco In overnight - rinse in the morning use approved conditioners and leave-ins

Crisco oil is soybean and Palm oil which is light and easily rinsed.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Switched up tonight because my BS mix was gone.

Step 1- Thoroughly rinsed product from my hair then an ACV rinse for 15 mins.

Step 2-steam to open cuticle and apply warm undiluted TN conditioner and keeping it in over night.

Last edited:

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Eye opener: today while applying my clay I remembered that Ms. Dee Kay says the hair should be visibly weighed down and if it isn't, you're doing it wrong and could actually cause your hair to feel dry.

So, I added more clay to my mix and low and behold, I see the difference. My curls clumped and elongated better during application this time. So if your mix is watery and you're not seeing noticeable results with clumping and elongating during clay application, you might want to consider thickening your mix.

Last edited:

Smiley79

It's not an approved product, but I want to use up my Aphogee Curlific Texture treatment ( I really liked how that treatment worked on my hair)...but I'm a little nervous about using it since I've been pretty much sticking to approved products lately. Maybe I'll use it for Step 2 after a baking soda wash so the treatment can really penetrate.

HopefulOne

Eye opener: today while applying my clay I remembered that Ms. Dee Kay says the hair should be visibly weighed down and if it isn't, you're doing it wrong and could actually cause your hair to feel dry. So, I added more clay to my mix and low and behold, I see the difference. My curls clumped and elongated better during application this time. So if your mix is watery and you're not seeing noticeable results with clumping and elongating during clay application, you might want to consider thickening your mix. Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

My clay mix which I leave on overnight is like pancake batter and I use very little water. I use clay, molasses, olive oil. I love my thick mix

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Day 2 of my 7 day mhm regimen marathon is completed! The elongation didn't last past the clay step but I am noticing more defined coils at my scalp with just a few root to tip curls. I'm quite a bit away from claiming mh but I'm happy with my results so far.

HopefulOne

I am in a unfunny three day circumanstance right now. Our water heaters need to be replaced and I can't take a shower which mean I can't do my hair:nono::nono::nono: until they are replaced. They won't be replaced until tomorrow and my second day hair is not cute. :sad::sad::sad: I can imagine what I will look like tomorrow when they come to replace the 2 water heaters.:cry:

faithVA

[USER=33817 said:
HopefulOne[/USER];21054957]I am in a unfunny three day circumanstance right now. Our water heaters need to be replaced and I can't take a shower which mean I can't do my hair:nono::nono::nono: until they are replaced. They won't be replaced until tomorrow and my second day hair is not cute. :sad::sad::sad: I can imagine what I will look like tomorrow when they come to replace the 2 water heaters.:cry:

Can you just baggy and put your hair in a puff tomorrow?

GGsKin

My hair dried:grin:. I put it into 4 mini pineapples, baggied and went to bed. In the am I took my hair down. It was still moist so I let it be free while I washed and changed.

I sprayed the perimeter with water and used a little more KCCC for smoothing. I used an adjusted headband (cut and tied lol) and because my hair was still moist, I secured the head band at the front of my head with 2 hairpins (a handy tip seen on YouTube).
That thing lasted all day! Even through my Pilates class this eve. It didn't squeeze to high heaven, nor did it try to make a run for it:lol: As a fine hair/med density gal, I am loving the volume of my fully dried fro.

Remembered to take pics at the end of the day. I think it held up well.

Attachments

• 2015-01-28_21.04.51.jpg
    2015-01-28_21.04.51.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 61

GGsKin

Clarifying tonight with ACV. After wearing it in a puff all day my hair wasn't really tangled. I find it easier to detangle when my hair is saturated. Will DC with TTT tonight and complete the steps in the morning.