Setting to Success 2015

Bubblingbrownshuga

Woo hoo! This setting for success challenge is exactly what I need in my life! I recently uploaded a YouTube video of my roller set, but I still need to tweak my technique a bit. I can't post pictures or the video on my phone because I don't know how, lol, but if you all just type in ChakaKhanian on YouTube, you will see it.

Now let me go back to the op and answer these questions, lol.

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Fresh flexi set. I haven't mega separated yet since I'm trying to get this one to last 14 days. I usually only try to go 10 days but I'll be out of town on the 10th day. lmbo

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Finally did my set. Feeling a little better today. I didn't use any creams or gels as I wasn't doing a set to wear out as a style. My hair is going bavk in protective style mode. Just wanted to get a length check. Anyway I'm a very slow grower. The last lc was taken October 19th and I've done two 1/4inch dustings since then. This should give you an idea of my growth as its been 3 months. I invert and use NJoy oil almost nightly (at least 3-6 times per week I oil). Here's products I used and flexirods I used and my hair before rodding, after and takedown. Again first lc pic taken in October.

ForumRunner_20150122_161100.jpg

ForumRunner_20150122_161118.jpg

ForumRunner_20150122_161132.jpg

ForumRunner_20150122_161151.jpg

ForumRunner_20150122_161216.jpg

ForumRunner_20150122_161230.jpg

ForumRunner_20150122_161242.jpg

ForumRunner_20150122_161255.jpg

ForumRunner_20150122_161308.jpg

Funmi333

I'm looking to buy some rollers to cut down on my direct heat styling. Any suggestions on what types of rollers work best on 4b/c hair?

girlonfire

lulu97 perfection as usual. Be honest, do you take breaks from being fabulous of is it a full time job? I'm trying to get on your level but it seems so beyond me.

girlonfire

Okay y'all...remember how I said that my hair will be in a bun all week? Yeah that was an accurate prediction but I'm gonna have to redo ma hurr bc I'm going out tonight. I'll be doing the stawllers again. Perfect motivation to get it right this time.

I'll be repurchasing my it's a 10 leave in, then using my joico smoothing balm and cream of nature wrap lotion. I've found that my hair isn't sticky if I just use one pump per section 2x4 in section so I'll be playing with wrap lotion again. Wish me luck!

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Now you just made me laugh...girl it's okay my set was pure joke but that's okay because I wasn't setting to wear just for an impromptu lc.

HairPleezeGrow

Well it was gorgeous to me! lol

The time you took to wash/condition, the patience to detangle and apply your rollers of choice , air dry or sit under the dryer....girl please. Regardless of the results or whatever the reason you did set, the effort alone was beautiful. That's why anytime someone posts pictures in this thread, it is guaranteed to get a thanks from me and a huge pat on the back. It's my way of saying, I see you...I feel you and yes I think your set is beautiful but I think your time and effort was even more beautiful. :)

Last edited:

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
HairPleezeGrow

Well it was gorgeous to me! lol

The time you took to wash/condition, the patience to detangle and apply your rollers of choice , air dry or sit under the dryer....girl please. Regardless of the results or whatever the reason you did set, the effort alone was beautiful. That's why anytime someone posts pictures in this thread, it is guaranteed to get a thanks from me and a huge pat on the back. It's my way of saying, I see you...I feel you and yes I think your set is beautiful but I think your time and effort was even more beautiful. :)

Such a sweetheart! :)

PerFicMsFit

I love curlfomers especially the barrel curl ones. These particular curlformers are quick and easy to install, they stretch my roots better than a rollerset, and they curl my hair, but without the spiral, curly look. My hair is 12 weeks post relaxer in the attached pictures. I ran out of barrel curlformers, so I used spiral curlformers in the front. :yep:

Wash and Set Details:
- Prepoo: E'tae Carmel Reconstructing Treatment for 4 hours
- Shampoo: Kurlee Belle Almond and Shea Butter Moisturizing Shampoo twice
- Deep Condition: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk Cream Moisture Dream with steam for 45 minutes
- Leave-Ins: Annabelle's Perfect Blend Leave-In Conditioner, CHI Keratin Mist, Nairobi Wrapp-It Shine Foaming Lotion, and Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum
- Style: Set on Curlformers and dry for 25 minutes with Pibbs 514 on 40°. (Yes! FULLY DRY IN 25 MINUTES ON LOW HEAT! :grin:)
- Seal: Remove Curlformers and apply a couple drops of Kurlee Belle Kurlee Tropical Oils Blend

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 76
  • FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 83

veesweets

Took a break for a while but I'm back to setting. Here are my results from tonight's curlformer set. I used curl junkie smoothing lotion and so far it gets two thumbs up! This might be my smoothest natural set ever and my hair feels really hydrated. Not sure how I'm going to style it yet.

Attachments

• image-730881823.jpg
    image-730881823.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 87

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Took a break for a while but I'm back to setting. Here are my results from tonight's curlformer set. I used curl junkie smoothing lotion and so far it gets two thumbs up! This might be my smoothest natural set ever and my hair feels really hydrated. Not sure how I'm going to style it yet.

Really nice set.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF please excuse typos

veesweets

Really nice set. Sent from my iPhone using LHCF please excuse typos

Thank you.

Well y'all, it didn't last lol I tried to preserve it overnight with two pineapples. The bottom half wasn't too bad, but the top half was stretched to the point of basically being straight. So it's now in a bun. I'm going to try pincurls next time and/or add something else on top for more hold

ronie

This is gorgeous veesweets. Did you use a holding product? I do prefer a soft set over a lasting one personally.

ronie

I love curlfomers especially the barrel curl ones. These particular curlformers are quick and easy to install, they stretch my roots better than a rollerset, and they curl my hair, but without the spiral, curly look. My hair is 12 weeks post relaxer in the attached pictures. I ran out of barrel curlformers, so I used spiral curlformers in the front. :yep: Wash and Set Details: - Prepoo: E'tae Carmel Reconstructing Treatment for 4 hours - Shampoo: Kurlee Belle Almond and Shea Butter Moisturizing Shampoo twice - Deep Condition: Silk Dreams Vanilla Silk Cream Moisture Dream with steam for 45 minutes - Leave-Ins: Annabelle's Perfect Blend Leave-In Conditioner, CHI Keratin Mist, Nairobi Wrapp-It Shine Foaming Lotion, and Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum - Style: Set on Curlformers and dry for 25 minutes with Pibbs 514 on 40°. (Yes! FULLY DRY IN 25 MINUTES ON LOW HEAT! :grin:) - Seal: Remove Curlformers and apply a couple drops of Kurlee Belle Kurlee Tropical Oils Blend
Beautiful. I need to look into the easier to use curl formers. I ve always been intimidated by curl formers, but I love the results.

veesweets

This is gorgeous veesweets. Did you use a holding product? I do prefer a soft set over a lasting one personally.

Thanks! I didn't use anything for hold. I think im going to try aloe vera gel next time for a soft hold.

I agree with PerFicMsFit, curlformers are simpler than they look. As long as I don't try to make the sections too big, the hair slides through the curl former with ease

PerFicMsFit

I agree with PerFicMsFit, curlformers are simpler than they look. As long as I don't try to make the sections too big, the hair slides through the curl former with ease
veesweets That is a great tip! I made that mistake during my first Curlformer set and ripped out a patch of my hair. :sad: I learned from my mistake. I ordered lots of extra top-up packs so I will never run out and feel like I have to stuff big sections into one Curlformer. Top-up packs are actually 20% off with free shipping at www.curlformers.com right now. See attachment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

girlonfire

I love curlfomers especially the barrel curl ones. These particular curlformers are quick and easy to install, they stretch my roots better than a rollerset, and they curl my hair, but without the spiral, curly look. My hair is 12 weeks post relaxer in the attached pictures. I ran out of barrel curlformers, so I used spiral curlformers in the front. :yep:

- Style: Set on Curlformers and dry for 25 minutes with Pibbs 514 on 40°. (Yes! FULLY DRY IN 25 MINUTES ON LOW HEAT! :grin:)

I am so jealous. Even with my pibbs I still have to stay under the dryer for 2 hours on at least 60. I think I'm doing something wrong.

girlonfire

Okay I've been lazy. And busy at the same time. I want to set on friday. There is no reason for me to not set on Friday. I WILL SET ON FRIDAY.

PerFicMsFit

I am so jealous. Even with my pibbs I still have to stay under the dryer for 2 hours on at least 60. I think I'm doing something wrong.
girlonfire That's very surprising! Is your hair soaking wet when you install the Curlformer? Is your hair thick? My hair is wet because I use distilled water to rewet sections that dry before I get to them. Also. I'm relaxed and I feel like my hair is "thin". So that and the fact that I use small sections could be why my hair dries so fast.