Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

PlainJane

I did. Once the relaxed hair broke completely off, I lightly trimmed my natural hair and never had any trouble out of it moving forward.

Okay I'm going to trim a little this weekend. My natural ends feel rough but I don't have any visible splits. Rather be safe than sorry.

baddison

natural for good
13 months post ....and still going strong. Only 11 more months before the 2year mark. Its true what they say....it DOES get easier as you go along.:grin::grin:

Evolving78

Angelbean HEY LOVE :bighug: Thanks so much for the shout. shortdub78 Thanks Girlie! How is your texlax journey going so far?
I can't tell the difference between the texlaxed and the new growth, so I'm trying to stretch for as long as possible to really tell the difference. So far it going ok. I keep my hair in jailhouse cornrows and wash weekly since I use wigs as a protective style.

Since I keep it braided, I don't mess with it much and avoid wanting to relax. I have been lazy these past few days. So I'm going to wash again and be more neater with my parts.

The key for me so far is detangling very well! I have to use a comb! And I'm working on my crown area. I had cut off all of the damage ,so I have 3 inches in that area now. That area is so dry and course! Oh and just trying to figure how to manipulate without causing strands to pop off.

Mische

Now that I've picked a transition chop date (2/5/15 at 30mos post), the days are going by super slow. :yawn: It's really time though. I miss not hating wash day. They've become unbearable, which in turn has led to me not deep conditioning as often as I should be. For the sake of hair health, I need to cut.

Honey Bee

Now that I've picked a transition chop date (2/5/15 at 30mos post), the days are going by super slow. :yawn: It's really time though. I miss not hating wash day. They've become unbearable, which in turn has led to me not deep conditioning as often as I should be. For the sake of hair health, I need to cut.
Chile.... the only thing keeping me hanging on at this point is that SO would like a little more length and, when I'm honest with myself, so would I. :look: I originally intended to transition 2 yrs. I'll be exactly 19 months on your chop date. I might do it then. :look:

I'm just over it at this point. :yawn:

Oh, on your dc issue, I was having the same problem which is why I jumped on the MHM bandwagon so quick. I rarely use the baking soda option, but even without it, I find that my hair is moisturized enough to survive a week (or ten days :look:) without another dc.

Mische

Chile.... the only thing keeping me hanging on at this point is that SO would like a little more length and, when I'm honest with myself, so would I. :look: I originally intended to transition 2 yrs. I'll be exactly 19 months on your chop date. I might do it then. :look:

I'm just over it at this point. :yawn:

Oh, on your dc issue, I was having the same problem which is why I jumped on the MHM bandwagon so quick. I rarely use the baking soda option, but even without it, I find that my hair is moisturized enough to survive a week (or ten days :look:) without another dc.

Honey Bee Totally hear you on wanting a bit more length. My slow growth is one of the reasons I've transitioned this long. I'm still worried I'm going to have retention issues when I chop. Funny you mentioned SO. I was doing my hair in the mirror yesterday and mine came up behind me and said "so... still waiting for this big chop." You'll both know when it's time. :lol:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Ladies, for those of us with tight coils, tangle prone hair, how long is your wash day with handling varying textures.

bebezazueta

Ladies, for those of us with tight coils, tangle prone hair, how long is your wash day with handling varying textures.

Hello lady!

I pre-poo, finger detangle and oil my scalp the night before. I put my hair in 6 braids Then I place a plastic cap on. The next day i hop in the shower and rinse each section one by one. Then shampoo each section. Then condition each section. I detangle with my denman while the conditioner is in. First in sections and then I start making my ponytail for my style. I rinse making sure my hair is still in the ponytail. I make my ponytail in the shower. Tie down my edges and airdry with no product. I apply products when 80% dry.

I'm in the shower for 50 minutes.

bebezazueta

Uh oh! I'm getting the BC bug! I'll be 24 months post in August and plan to chop. That's one year earlier than I anticipated. I need to be back in braids for a while to calm this BC itch.

Evolving78

I'm in the shower for almost thirty minutes concerning washing and applying conditioner in 4 sections. Detangling is ok if I have a good detangler an a serum. It's the drying that takes so long. I try to go under the dryer first, then blow the rest on cool. If I don't have any distractions, it takes 2 hours. Add styling to the mix, 3-4 hours total.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
divachyk for me personally, my wash day is wicked long.
I'm pretty leisurely with my wash days so there's lots of goofing off in between most of these steps. If I feel like I'll be rushed then I just postpone wash day.

- Pre-poo & detangle: 30-60 minutes
- Cleanser application (on dry hair): 45-60 minutes
- Cleanser wash out & mild detangling: 10 minutes
- [If a protein day] Protein treatment application & process time: 30-45 minutes
- [If a protein day] Protein treatment rinse out & mild detangling: 10 minutes
- DC application & process time: 45-75 minutes
- DC rinse out, spray and creamy leave in application, & mild detangling: 30 minutes
- Post wash seal and detangling (if needed) & CA tension blow drying: 150 minutes

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
rileypak, my day is something like yours. My longest step is detangling, pre & post wash. The rest goes rather quick. If I can get quicker at detangling, things would be a breeze.

PlainJane

It takes me the longest to apply my DC relaxer style because I'm extremely OCD with it and need every strand to be coated.
The same goes for applying my leave in and sealing. I go section by section making everything is coated.

Detangling, shampooing, styling, etc doesn't take that long.

Evolving78

I'm being trifling. I haven't rinsed the conditioner out of my hair yet, but I did take the plastic cap off. This is the week before my cycle starts and I get very tired and stop caring.

Evolving78

I'm being trifling. I haven't rinsed the conditioner out of my hair yet, but I did take the plastic cap off. This is the week before my cycle starts and I get very tired and stop caring.
I rinsed out the conditioner, detangled, and dried my hair. I am going to use CON Argan oil leave in spray as my liquid moisturizer, while I'm doing my cornrows. Trying to strengthen my hair. I don't like the way my hair looks when it is wet! I can't wait til all of these bonelaxed ends are gone. That will be 2-3 years! I got some serious shrinkage going on too!

PlainJane

I didn't roller set this week and instead I heavy sealed and air dried. The good news, I have had zero breakage this week. The bad news, I look a hot mess.

I can never find a happy medium. Guess I'll try another new style this weekend.

Mische

Bought my big chop scissors yesterday! They were only $10 but they give a really nice, crisp cut. Still picking a conditioner to use for the process (yes it's that serious :lol:). I plan on using a lot, so I don't want to use one of my "good" deep conditioners and be wasting it on the relaxed ends I'll be cutting. I have a bottle of Oyin Honey Hemp I've never tried, but that stuff smells terrible.

coolsista-paris

It takes me the longest to apply my DC relaxer style because I'm extremely OCD with it and need every strand to be coated. The same goes for applying my leave in and sealing. I go section by section making everything is coated. Detangling, shampooing, styling, etc doesn't take that long.

this is how i do it too. relaxer style

i pre poo in sections that i detangle with this--> (oil, and slippy condit - protien or ceramid condit) leave for at least 45 min, or 20 under dryer.

- shampoo
- rinse , add amla oil , towel dry and add leave in. when dry 80% then tension blow dry.

if ive got time, :
-shampoo , then dc (under dryer 15min)
-rinse and add amla oil ,towel dry, add leave in.
tension blow dry when 80% dry.

i dont take over 2 hours doing all. i no longer have that patience i had on my first natural journey. nope.

PlainJane

coolsista-paris I would love to get my routine down to two hours like you. Right now I am probably around 4 not including air drying. How are you wearing your hair now that you're 14 months post?

PlainJane

RIP to my sides above my ear. They were the first to go at around month 6. I have shrinkage because this patch reaches a few inches past my ear now. The longest my sides has EVER been able to grow. I would always make it to APL in the back then be EL in the front. I'll be dusting/trimming it tomorrow though so I can keep retaining.

Attachments

• image-2826108230.jpg
    image-2826108230.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 68

coolsista-paris

coolsista-paris I would love to get my routine down to two hours like you. Right now I am probably around 4 not including air drying. How are you wearing your hair now that you're 14 months post?

now its in these high cornows (i can bun it or let the braids all fall on my back- i love it)!!!!!! lol

i have managéd to transition without really ps. i just kept clipping my hair up. or doing my personal updos. very easy, no braiding or anything.
i low manipulate. didnt use combs or brushes often. my hair did not break.
it started breaking 1 month ago... i might need to do a protien treatment.

im happy because its still at same lenght as when i virgin relaxed it. almost apl. ive been cutting it slowly..... dusting here and there, trimming a tiny bit....

i will post a pic of my go to styles when i finish washing.

Evolving78

I didn't roller set this week and instead I heavy sealed and air dried. The good news, I have had zero breakage this week. The bad news, I look a hot mess. I can never find a happy medium. Guess I'll try another new style this weekend.
I want to go back to roller setting, but I don't know how that will work with these two textures going on. I gotta get a spray bottle that will spray a mist. I would still have to use heat on my texlaxed hair. I flat ironed my hair yesterday. I used 400 degrees with one pass. My hair got salon straight. It felt nice having my hair styled and out. Plus, I really needed to see how my hair looked straightened. It looks a mess when it is wet or not straighten with these two textures going on.