Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

aloof one

I am in so much pain, I can't even frown because these braids are pulling on every muscle in my face! :wallbash: I can't believe the abuse I go through to look good and hide my hair for a few weeks!

So I found some Cameroon woman and her sister to do my braids for my mom's wedding, and of course I brought my own comb and everything and it still didn't stop them from their madness! When they started trimming the loose hairs around the braids with scissors I stopped them--- and this hoe started up again too and I was like WTF!? She told me some lie that she was cutting the fake hair not mine, but how the *** was she supposed to tell the difference! then they had the nerve to try to run a lighter up and down my hair like that was better, so I had to stop her then, and she copped an attitude when I told her no to that. Then this heffer started getting rough with my hair! And when I complained at her to loosen up on parting my hair she told me it was thick, like I was supposed to apologize! Why is it that when these jealous hoes see a woman with thick hair that isn't balding from weaves or missing edges or some other problem they have the idea that its time to start tearing our hair out? Why do people have to be jealous? I didn't feel myself losing hair, but she was so freaking rough you never know, it could be at its breaking point. But my hair is strong, I did some protein and everything before I came so it would stand up to anything... so Im not worried about that. But this is the problem:

Even though I told her to loosen up, my braids are TOO TIGHT. And by too tight, I mean My forehead is red and I can see each individual hair clinging to my scalp for dear life on my edges, and a few braids behind that. The back row is fine, but for some reason this woman decided to TEAR my edges up! I don't want to end up like the ladies who are trying to grow their edges back, Ive been proud of having all those naps now and don't want to lose them because of this.

The reason I kept them in is because my mo is getting married tomorrow and I need them for that. She's freaking out as it is and I don't want to be the one who causes her to have a melt down because I was late to the wedding cause I had to take down my hair and start over. :nono:

Bottom line, sorry this is so long.. Im just frustrated: Is there a way I can loosen my braids without actually unbraiding them?

mscocoface

There is no way that I know of to loosen them.

I don't want to scare you but from the way you are sounding these braids could be causing damaging by pulling on your follicles like that and weakening the hair.

I know you don't want to hear this but for the sake of saving your hair around the edges try to at least take those down and loosen them.

If you want to try some type of oil like jojoba and conditioner with a little water and spritz them that may help, not sure though.

You are in pain, your scalp sounds inflamed and you are asking for advice.

Please do something, in the next few days you will probably have the large flakes showing up from the hair being pulled so tight.

Chalk this one up to a learning experience but get those braids around the edges loosened and soon.

aloof one

I think I'll soak them and try to pull them forward or something.
I don't know anyone in my house that can put them up... they took 4 hours, but its only like 6 braids that are giving me trouble, maybe I can pull them to loosen them?

Im so angry, my mom knows how to braid but she's crazy and gonna freak out if I ask the night before her wedding :blush:

Mimi22

Heyy i feel ur pain
Try a cold damp cloth and some aloe vera gel ???
If not, try rinsing your braids out a bit while ur in the shower. Hope that helps!! xx

newflowers

TAKE THEM OUT!!!!!

If you try to loosen them, you will put yet more stress on your folicles. If you leave them in, the continual stress will cause potential damage to the follicles, but it will also pull the hair out of your head. Braids that are too tight can cause permamnet hair loss.

TAKE THEM OUT!!!

Mook's hair

When is the wedding? My first instinct says take them out now. but you clearly want them for the event and will try anything. Can you go back to the woman to get the worst part redone?

I know that when I am in natural cornrows, they loosen a little if I completely saturate them in water. meaning. dunk my head under water. But yours sound so tight that you may cause serious damage by setting your hair.

What kind of braids are they? are they heavy? You really need to find someone to help you redo that part.

balisi

TAKE THEM OUT!!!!!

If you try to loosen them, you will put yet more stress on your folicles. If you leave them in, the continual stress will cause potential damage to the follicles, but it will also pull the hair out of your head. Braids that are too tight can cause permamnet hair loss.

TAKE THEM OUT!!!

I second this!

Je Ne Sais Quoi

If it's just 5 or 6 braids you should ask your mom to help you redo them and don't wait until tomorrow the day of the wedding, ask her now!!! If not you need to take those braids out (the ones that are killing your scalp) immediately and figure out a way to hide the lose hairs by tucking them in somewhere. Do you have a picture of yourself with the braids in now or a similar pic so we can get an idea of the style?

Yellowflowers

I am in so much pain, I can't even frown because these braids are pulling on every muscle in my face! :wallbash: I can't believe the abuse I go through to look good and hide my hair for a few weeks!

So I found some Cameroon woman and her sister to do my braids for my mom's wedding, and of course I brought my own comb and everything and it still didn't stop them from their madness! When they started trimming the loose hairs around the braids with scissors I stopped them--- and this hoe started up again too and I was like WTF!? She told me some lie that she was cutting the fake hair not mine, but how the *** was she supposed to tell the difference! then they had the nerve to try to run a lighter up and down my hair like that was better, so I had to stop her then, and she copped an attitude when I told her no to that. Then this heffer started getting rough with my hair! And when I complained at her to loosen up on parting my hair she told me it was thick, like I was supposed to apologize! Why is it that when these jealous hoes see a woman with thick hair that isn't balding from weaves or missing edges or some other problem they have the idea that its time to start tearing our hair out? Why do people have to be jealous? I didn't feel myself losing hair, but she was so freaking rough you never know, it could be at its breaking point. But my hair is strong, I did some protein and everything before I came so it would stand up to anything... so Im not worried about that. But this is the problem:

Even though I told her to loosen up, my braids are TOO TIGHT. And by too tight, I mean My forehead is red and I can see each individual hair clinging to my scalp for dear life on my edges, and a few braids behind that. The back row is fine, but for some reason this woman decided to TEAR my edges up! I don't want to end up like the ladies who are trying to grow their edges back, Ive been proud of having all those naps now and don't want to lose them because of this.

The reason I kept them in is because my mo is getting married tomorrow and I need them for that. She's freaking out as it is and I don't want to be the one who causes her to have a melt down because I was late to the wedding cause I had to take down my hair and start over. :nono:

Bottom line, sorry this is so long.. Im just frustrated: Is there a way I can loosen my braids without actually unbraiding them?

Ouch! Girl go get a spray bottle, with some warm water and Sea Breeze, if you have no Sea Breeze, then just plain water.

Spray your scalp especially the sore areas until they are really wet, if you get it too wet you can dry with a towel.

The braids should loosen considerably without compromising your style.

Repeat as often as necessary until your scalp is more comfortable.

I don't know why these women do this.
:nono:

Last edited:

Saida

:nono:

This is how my mother used to have my hair made when I was a kid, I remember the lighter and everything too like you explained.. :nono: I was too young to say anything though.. sorry this happend to you.. the sad part is I dont think that they are jealous, I really think this is how they do hair even to themselves :nono:

Hope you feel better after the soaking :kiss:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I would take all of them out now but if you think it's just 5 or 6 causing you the pain, just get those redone. In any event if you keep them for the wedding which is tomorrow(?), take them out immediately after it. You do not want your hair and follicles to come out with the braids. It's possible...that happened to me about 5 years ago.

ShiShiPooPoo

Orajel ( you know, what is used for a toothache) will help alleviate the pain by numbing it. This is why I swore off braids.

glamazon386

I agree with the ladies who said take them out. But if you can't, try rubbing some oil or braid spray around the edges where it's tight. Sometimes that helps to loosen them up. Or take a shower and let the water run over them.

PaulaDiddy

Please my dear, take them out to save your hair. This one step can help you with months of recovery. Please take them out and redo them. Braids are completely easy to do!

MissJ

I would advise you to take them out if you want to keep your edges. I learned the hard way.

baby42

TAKE THEM OUT!!!!!

TAKE THEM OUT!!!
yep i lost my temple cause of someone braiding too tight and its hell getting it back:wallbash:never again:nono::nono::nono:

SmartyPants

I'm really sorry, but you need to take them out PRONTO. There is no way to loosen them that will be good for your hair. Every minute you leave them in, you are causing damage.:nono:

nakialovesshoes

Orajel ( you know, what is used for a toothache) will help alleviate the pain by numbing it. This is why I swore off braids.

I, too, can offer a remedy for the pain if you have to wait until after the wedding to take them out. My recommendation is a first aid antiseptic spray with pain killer. That's what I used when I got braids a few weeks ago. It will help with the pain until you can take them out after the wedding. Other than that I really don't know enough about braids to make suggestions about loosening them. Well wishes...

Tamrin

unapologetic
Make a spray mix with a creamy leave in like Salerm or Lacio Lacio put in a little EO or coconut oil. Spray your scalp and the hair until its realy wet. The hair will loosen. Or better yet. Get in a shower Co wash them with diluted conditioner.

AfroKink

Make a spray mix with a creamy leave in like Salerm or Lacio Lacio put in a little EO or coconut oil. Spray your scalp and the hair until its realy wet. The hair will loosen. Or better yet. Get in a shower Co wash them with diluted conditioner.

i second that braids tend to loosen after the first wash.

lys

sassygirl2

I have been there a time a two myself i agree with everyone else take them out i loss my hairline b/c my braids were too tight and i started getting large scaly dandruff up there i couldn't sleep for days my head would hurt so bad. It's not worth the pain take them out. :nono:

gimbap

When I would get micros and they were tight, I would sleep with them loose. In the morning, they wouldn't feel as tight.

But if it's completely unbearable, take them out.

aloof one

I woke up at 4am and I feel like taking them out, but there are SO MANY! I realizd its not just 5, MY ENTire EDgeS except for a few are too tight! Are there any updos I could wear at the wedding after I take out the first row? I can't go with half braids and half hair, my mom will have a heart attack!

Its like 40 braids in the front, all close together and pencil sized. What if I undid them and asked someone to do like 5 or 6 big cornrows with the left over hair I bought, would that look OK with big braids in the back???

Lilith's Lioness

I think the cornrows would be a great option. You won't enjoy the day (and it's such an important one, that it's key for you to be present in all ways) if you're hurting or worried about long-term damage. And yes major damage can set in through the course of one day. You can have the ends of the cornrows twisted into the updo and add charms or flowers to the transition area if you're worried about how your hair will look going from one braid type to another. This is your best solution I think, until you can get someone to take a look at the rest of your braids. If the edges are too tight, chances are other areas will be as well. Hang in there, don't let this incompetent woman ruin your joy on your mom's big day.

almondjoi85

TAKE IT OUT ASAP! OH NO! that's why I see so many girls with no edges at all.... I will not get braids because of this, i've seen too many ladies out there with no edges due to too tight braids... ouch! I know that must hurt like hell! if you can't take them out what about some oil around there...maybe it'll loosen some?

aloof one

I'm trying oil and soaking my head in the sink of hot water... and cold water after that too.. so thanks for the advice... I am so sorry for this:

Im glad the wedding is over but I realized I can't take them all out until 1pm tomorrow because I have to go to class as soon as I get back to college campus. I'm going to take the braids out, lie down for a minute, then slap myself. Because if I slap myself with the braids on, I am liable to take some hair out of my head. Then I will soak my head in a bowl of cold water at my desk, hopefully just take a nap there... Then I will massage my aching head with some V05 and do a cowash... then leave some Motions Conditioner in and go to sleep for a few hours... then go to the doctor lookin crazy half braided half out.. then get my hair fixed that night into REAL braids that are loose and don't kill me and pretend I didn't make the mistake I did this weekend.

After close inspection I realized something funny, sad, and scary. These hoes braided my BABY HAIR into the braids. You know, the fine hairs that I didn't even have until I started transitioning (my hair thrives in its natural state) that created a new line of edges I never had? Basically I can expect to look how I did before I started transitioning- how I did when I relaxed, with no hair around the edges. I have thick hair always, I'll never look bald, but man... I know this is going to be a setback.

I won't post another thread about this and just move on after tomorrow afternoon. I don't want to have a pity party because I know I made a mistake. I'm not that kind of girl. I only started this thread cause my head hurt and I couldnt' sleep. There are people out there who wear braids like this for MONThS and come out bald wondering why they look like Homer Simpson. Im glad I have a site where I have people available to keep me feeling guilty about my stupid err in judgement, otherwise I would have stuck it out the whole 2-3 weeks with these things digging into my scalp... case they are cute... But thank you all, because I wouldnt have been the wiser without your advice. And I can't wait to unbraid these things with a quickness when the clock strikes 12:44 and I walk into my dorm from class tomorrow... So Instead of crying and whining, I need to just accept it and move on. By 2008, my edges (baby hair... :look:) should be back and I'll never let some skank b!tch put them back in braids again just because they're long and they can maneuver them in.

LynnieB

wait, don't tell me, you went to an "african braiding" salon.....:wallbash:

man, my daughter went to one and they braided her up so tight i thought i'd given birth to a chiny woman :nono:

this girl actually had welts!!

we took those babies out immediately. she's since gotten another braided 'do but this batch is much easier going on the eye (and edges!)