Monistat 7 for fast hair growth!!

Almondjoy

I'm actually a physician and I prescribe miconazole cream (same cream that is Monistat 7) to people all the time for tenia pedis (foot fungus) and tinea corporis (fungus anywhere on the skin). There would be no ill affects of putting monistat 7 in other areas of the skin like your scalp. And mixing it wtih grease would not cause some kind of "chemical reaction." You would just be putting the cream in a different medium and actually making the miconazole less concentrated. I don't see any medical harm in trying it. I don't think I will.

Kikootie

I agree with Almondjoy. As a nurse practitioner I prescribe it not only for vaginal infections but also tinea on other parts of the body. Although, I can't say that I will try it. I would really have to see some hard proof.

California

Almondjoy said:
I'm actually a physician and I prescribe miconazole cream (same cream that is Monistat 7) to people all the time for tenia pedis (foot fungus) and tinea corporis (fungus anywhere on the skin). There would be no ill affects of putting monistat 7 in other areas of the skin like your scalp. And mixing it wtih grease would not cause some kind of "chemical reaction." You would just be putting the cream in a different medium and actually making the miconazole less concentrated. I don't see any medical harm in trying it. I don't think I will.

I'm glad a real Doctor not a hair board doctor gave some breakdown on this. I think I will sell my grease to my friend for what I spent on the stuff. I will instead use the cream alone. I will definitely let everybody know how that works instead. Thanks Dr. Almondjoy! ;)

miracle

Almondjoy said:

I've used it on a few patients for tenia pedis as well, and used Ketaconozole & Miconazole shampoo myself, and have seen some not-so-nice adverse reactions. I had to come off of both shampoos because the Miconazole effected a level of medication that I'm currently taking, and I was only using it once a week as instructed by my dermatologist. So, I'd still suggest getting a second opinion if taking any meds, vitamins or herbal supplements before using Miconazole. I used the smallest OTC concentration possible and still had problems. Once off of it, my levels came right back down to where they needed to be. It's definitely a drug that can't be used by everybody. And using it with a sulphur product was a HUGE no-no. So, I would not try mixing it with sulphur based hair oils/grease.

Last edited:

Almondjoy

I suppose if you have a tendency toward contact allergies it may not be a good idea. Miconazole can cause a contact dermatitis, itching or burning like any other grease, lotion, or detergent you might use. If you have a reaction to it, stop it. I can't see why you would have any long term ill affects due to it.

foxybrownsugar

most dandruff shampoos are antifungals like nizoral, athletes feet meds are antifungal and yeast infection medicines are antifungals also(btw, yeast infections are a fungal disease not a bacterial).you can have a fungal infection anywhere on the body mouth, bowels, stomach, etc.

miracle

foxybrownsugar said:
most dandruff shampoos are antifungals like nizoral, athletes feet meds are antifungal and yeast infection medicines are antifungals also(btw, yeast infections are a fungal disease not a bacterial).you can have a fungal infection anywhere on the body mouth, bowels, stomach, etc.

Yep!! I used prescription Nizoral with pretty good success for dandruff (for the little time that I was on it.) It definitely gets the job done. But, personally, I wouldn't even recommend that to anyone without checking first.

Last edited:

Impresaria

I'm your huckleberry.
It MAY be possible...hear me out. Micronazole, the active ingredient in Monistat, and Clotrimazole, the active ingredient in in Gyne-Lotrimin are both members of the Imadizole family of drugs---which are anti-fungals AND sometimes anti-androgenic (meaning they kill fugus, yeast, and are helpful in combating male hormones that cause hair loss). Ketoconazole, the active ingredient in Nizoral, is also a member of this family. Look at this study done using Ketoconazole and how it STIMULATES hair growth:

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/hair_loss_news/index.cfm?CommentID=9

Here is another study studying Ketoconazole. BTW finesteride is in Minoxidil:

Ketocazole as an adjunct to finasteride in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia in men.

Hugo Perez BS.

California College of Podiatric Medicine, 371 Columbus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94133, USA. [email protected]

Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) binding to androgen receptors (AR) in hair follicles is commonly accepted as the first step leading to the miniaturizing of follicles associated with androgenetic alopecia (AGA). Testosterone is converted to DHT by the enzyme 5alpha-reductase. Finasateride a 5alpha-reducase inhibitor blocks the production of DHT and is currently used to treat AGA. The inhibition is not complete but a reduction of DHT systemically and in the scalp is accomplished. Ketoconazole has been clinically shown to be effective in the treatment of AGA. In this paper, evidence is presented to support the hypothesis that ketoconazole 2% shampoo has a local disruption of the DHT pathway. It is proposed that using ketoconazole 2% shampoo as an adjunct to finasteride treatment could lead to a more complete inhibition of DHT and thus better treat AGA.

PMID: 14729013 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

So...maybe...I'm just saying MAYBE...since ketoconazole, micronazole, and clotrimazole all generally treat the same stuff (yeast and fungus on scalp) that it is POSSIBLE that products containing these ingredients might also stimulate hair growth. Also I found that clotrinazole, which used to be the activei ngredient in Monistat-1, has a side effect---hypertrichosis--excessive hair growth. I found a study last night that clotrimazole also has anti-androgen properties. Which means that it MAY behave in the same manner as ketoconazole. When I find it again, I will paste it here.

As usual, my DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying go and do it. But I'm saying that there MAY be a relation to these products and hair growth that people are overlooking. I have not been able to find (yet) research using micronazole and clotrimazole on hair growth. It doesn't mean that the research does not exist or maybe it means that there has been no need to study the effects of ingredients primarily used for vaginal yeast infection creams on the head. Remember that the hair loss/growth industry is primarily directed towards men and male pattern baldness. I doubt that someone will outwardly say "Hey, rub Monistat on your head!"

I also realize that just because drugs are in the same family does not mean that they have the same effect. I'm just saying that somebody may be on to something. While I may not opt to use Monistat, the studies show that Nizoral shampoo is the way to go for me. I already have some because I had a bout with seborrheic dermatitis a while ago. I have been using the shampoo every three days because I don't want it it come back. My hair has been growing faster than usual on my edges. I haven't been using Surge or MTG anymore, so I will assume for now that the Nizoral is making my hair grow.

Last edited:

Koffie

LOL at this title.... :lol:

What's next, Summer's Eve feminine wash for daily co-washing? :lachen:

Just thought I'd throw some humor in here, don't take offense.

diamoness

I have since then shaved my hair down to half an inch and went natural. My hair ranges from 4-6 inches long now. I only used it on a bald spot that was a result of medical issues. Look back at the original thread....I talked about it there.

Blossssom

So what am I supposed to do with all this MTG I just bought? :mad:

Every day I come on here, it's a new product or a new challenge.

So this week we're doing the Monistat. What's next week? The "pitiful welfare queen's" check ain't gonna last through the month with all these challenges.

Heehee! :)

MzTami

Hellerrrr
I may be a product junkie, but I ain't buying nothing that is meant for the punanny and applying it to my hair. * PJ discretely putting money back in purse* I'll pass! (It's interesting though, moving to the end of the PJ line)

Thanks for sharing!

Transitioning
Last relaxer- 07/02/2005
Texture-2b/medium???4b/medium ( I haven't figured it out yet)
Length- 2 to 3 inches pass shoulder
Goal-shoulder length 100% natural healthy hair.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t and die to find out there is!- unknown

http://public.fotki.com/mztami
password: mztami

Last edited:

Koffie

Blossssom said:
So what am I supposed to do with all this MTG I just bought? :mad:

Every day I come on here, it's a new product or a new challenge.

So this week we're doing the Monistat. What's next week? The "pitiful welfare queen's" check ain't gonna last through the month with all these challenges.

Heehee! :)

I already suggested the Summer's Eve feminine wash for co-washes. :look:

Or maybe we should use FDS as holding spray to hold styles and lock in moisture for up-do's when we go to special events.:lachen:

Okay, I promise this is my last jokie-joke on this thread.:sekret:

Dare~to~Dream

I may just try this...I mean at this point, I just want growth. I've tried everything else: tons of vitamins, Surge, MTG-everything...spending money on a jar of grease and one tube of "cream" would save me money because I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. Surge and MTG worked but not continuously. I mean I saw results with Surge but after the first 1-2 months the growth slowed...I've heard about this stuff...and since my hair grows very slowly I'm willing to try it...if it doesn't work consistently then I'm done-for real...lol. I mean if I'm willing to try Monistat-7 for hair growth...what else is there...I've hit "rock bottom" right? Lol...I first learned of this in college...several years ago. This girl told me about her aunt and cousin who at the time got the "recipe" from a college roommate. She mentioned how everyone in the family commented on how "long and healthy" their hair looked when before it was thin and short...I never got her cousin's "recipe" but later on I heard about it from a high school friend who wanted to grow her daughter's hair out...the Monistat 7 was recommended to her...I think since quite a few people {well not including people on the hair forum but people outside of the forum} have heard of this it must work at least a little...:look: Anyway, I won't be trying this until next year though-IF I decide to go through with it.

ClassicChic

Koffie said:
LOL at this title.... :lol:

What's next, Summer's Eve feminine wash for daily co-washing? :lachen:

Just thought I'd throw some humor in here, don't take offense.

....and then you could use a douche for a final rinse. :lachen: