Does Lace Front Wigs Damage Your Edges

DiamndPrincess

Hello Ladies,

I'm new to this website but I'm sooooo glad that I found it. I've been reading thru some of the threads about lace front wigs because I've been stalking them for a while now but I don't know anyone personally to get advice from about them. I found some nice cheap ones on ioffer.com that are synthetic. I would like to play around with a synthetic one before spending money for human hair.

The main question that I need answered is does the lace wigs break your edges off? After about a year of trying all types of productson my edges I finally found something that has them growing back. They are still very very very thin but they look alot better than they have in the past. I've been rocking the half wigs for the past year, but I would like to try a lace front, only if they are not going to make my edges worse.

SparklingFlame

I heard it can.

For some people shaving their edges is the way to go to circumvent the edges breaking off.

:look:

:lachen:

I kid, I kid!!!!

I have heard of people shaving the edges off tho. :look:

ChocalateDiva

You have to put them far enuff down so that they dont tough your edges. You will get more responses on blackhairmedia.com

Keedah

Im wearing a lace wig now and havnt noticed any damage to my hairline. You have to be extra careful, and patient when taking the unit off. Also making sure it is soaked in adhesive remover and not rushing to take it off. Half the time I wear it pinned with bobby pins with no adhesive. I only plan on rocking the wig for a month or so at a time then switching to a half wig.

Hairsofab

You shouldn't be gluing it to your hairline, it should be placed in front of it. The only people I've seen with damage to their hairline, are those who mistakenly glue it on their hairline.

CoCoRica

It definitely can. The steam from the shower and water from shower cap, it can reactivate the tape and it can get on you edges if you are not careful. I wasn’t really good with rolling the tape down to my forehead, but if you are comfortable with applying your own adhesive you'll be fine, but it can thin out your edges.

My avi is a lacefront.

naturalmanenyc

Yes, a lace wig can damage the hair line if not properly applied. I have a synthetic lace front and used wig tape to apply it at first. I only use bobby pins now. I was careful to apply it away from my hair line but did once get tape on a few strands.

I can completely see how the wig tape (and the different glue) could rip out the hair line. I used alcohol (90% or higher works best) to dissolve the tape. At first I used 70% rubbing alcohol and that was just a waste of time.

Last edited:

DiamndPrincess

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I'm going to buy one and maybe try to bobby pin it down. When you bobby pin it down where do you place the bobby pins?

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I wear mine 1 week at a time just cause I like to wash my hair ans stuff weekly, but I have seen some ppl claim to get a month+ hold. I have been wearing 1 for 3 months and my edges have gotten thicker...plus have a 5 head I use my extra space for that reason. Oh and dont pull it down to far or you will look like a lil monkey LOL

otegwu

if u have a "5 head"( larger 4head) lol, then you wont have a problem as you can move the lace forward away from your own edges, but if not, the wig will need to be placed further back, and so rubbing on the hairline. the alc dries out the edges let alone the affects of the glue!!!

naturalmanenyc

I bobby pin the sides by my ears. I do not use the comb attachments in my wig so I also pin the back on windy days (like today). Most often I do not pin the back though.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I'm going to buy one and maybe try to bobby pin it down. When you bobby pin it down where do you place the bobby pins?

carletta

are any of you using mega-tek or ovation? If so how do you manage taking the wig off & on again? OR WOULD THIS NOT BE GOOD TO DO !?

atlien11

I take mine off every night and i use adhesive tape on the wig cap ONLY (not on my skin or hairline). I thought about jumping on the Megatek bandwagon but im scared of the shedding :sad: