MHM Hangout

Evolving78

Thanks for asking. I think that I have scarring Alopecia and there is nothing that can be done for the spot. I have tried injections of steroids, sprinolactone. Rogaine and no hope. I have a style that I wear that disguises my loss but you can see why I am so anxious to avoid tangles. I can't afford to lose any hair
what about your diet, or any deficiencies going? Have you tried stimulating therapies or techniques?

sweetpea7

sweetpea7 How is it taking you such a short time to separate your strands during both the clay and the gel steps?

well My clay mixture is watery so I pour it on my hair massage and rinse after a few minutes. I have Aztec bentonite clay, no matter how much clay, water, etc I use it will not thicken up. But it defines my hair very well.

I don't so the strand separation with my leave in or gel I split my hair into 10 sections and apply them one after another

However, I don't have great definition when my hair is dry but it's coming along

sweetpea7

Really wish someone within 30 miles of me (S.E michigan approx 45 min from Detroit) could do Dubai dees method on my hair. I really want a good thick clay wash

faithVA

well My clay mixture is watery so I pour it on my hair massage and rinse after a few minutes. I have Aztec bentonite clay, no matter how much clay, water, etc I use it will not thicken up. But it defines my hair very well.

I don't so the strand separation with my leave in or gel I split my hair into 10 sections and apply them one after another

However, I don't have great definition when my hair is dry but it's coming along

If you are using 1/4 cup of ACV like the rest of us, your clay isn't going to thicken up. If you want a thicker clay wash you will have to reduce the ACV. Not sure why the ACV thins out the clay so much.

Evolving78

would you consider hair implant in that area? I wonder what is the cost for a small area?
I googled and saw that it ranges from ) $2000-$3000 per session and the area. It could probably be financed as well. Just throwing options out there. I know, but don't know how you feel. I believe anything is possible. Don't give up!

aharri23

Loving the spray gel method! My curls separate on their own and im saving product...I may give flaxseed gel another try with the spray bottle method because I tried to apply it with my hands and my hair felt hard.

faithVA

[USER said:
aharri23;21271661[/USER]]Loving the spray gel method! My curls separate on their own and im saving product...I may give flaxseed gel another try with the spray bottle method because I tried to apply it with my hands and my hair felt hard.

Maybe try adding the okra to it or something else that is slippery. I tried applying it with my hands and applying it with the spray bottle, it was about the same. With the spray bottle however, it hit my curls was it. I couldn't get my fingers through my hair after I sprayed it :nono:

I wonder if I added some kknt to it if it would work out better.

Let me know if it works for you. I'm officially afraid of flax seed gel. :lol:

hairtimes5

Maybe try adding the okra to it or something else that is slippery. I tried applying it with my hands and applying it with the spray bottle, it was about the same. With the spray bottle however, it hit my curls was it. I couldn't get my fingers through my hair after I sprayed it :nono:

I wonder if I added some kknt to it if it would work out better.

Let me know if it works for you. I'm officially afraid of flax seed gel. :lol:

Lol. Did you use dubaidee's recipe? I made some and mine had decent slip. It didn't define my stubborn area as well as HC but I liked my hair overall.

faithVA

Lol. Did you use dubaidee's recipe? I made some and mine had decent slip. It didn't define my stubborn area as well as HC but I liked my hair overall.

Yes, I used her recipe. The second time I made it I added marshmallow to it. It still was bad. I just figured I would try it again later after I used up what I already have. Maybe in the fall I will feel more like experimenting.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I got a real surprise when I attempted to roller set my hair using orange perm rods...it came out ok but the real surprise was how tangled my hair was afterward. It wasn't picture worthy but I did enjoy the smooth curls for a day and a half. I couldn't make two whole days and I was in a hurry so I cowashed with Tresemme Naturals and tried to detangle and it was like locks. I had to go Modified MHM (clay and gel) just to detangle. I really love what clay does for my hair.

faithVA

I got a real surprise when I attempted to roller set my hair using orange perm rods...it came out ok but the real surprise was how tangled my hair was afterward. It wasn't picture worthy but I did enjoy the smooth curls for a day and a half. I couldn't make two whole days and I was in a hurry so I cowashed with Tresemme Naturals and tried to detangle and it was like locks. I had to go Modified MHM (clay and gel) just to detangle. I really love what clay does for my hair.

Do you know why it was so tangled?

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Do you know why it was so tangled?
I think I need my ends trimmed. My hair is super fine and super coily. I was really sad too because it took forever to set because I was trying to detangle to my prenatural level as I was setting. I was crazy tangly.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
My hair is fine and I suffer Alopecia.
HopefulOne I'm going through the same thing :yep:. I'd started losing my hair in my late 20's and I'm now in my early 40's. I was diagnosed with scarring alopecia too. I've been to many dermatologists, I've seen a natural doctor, and I got some bio testing done but no one can tell me my underlying issue. All I've been told is that my body is attacking my hair follicles but no solution to stop it :sad:.

I did the bald spot regimen for 7 months per pinkecube's suggestion and it didn't help me get my hair back :nono:. It did help a little but I still have noticeable spots in my head. I think scarring alopecia is different from traction alopecia or any other form of alopecia cuz the hair follicles are permanently damaged so it's a little harder to get the hair to grow back in those areas. I've lost hair at my temples and my crown and it can get quite depressing, but I'm thankful that I can cover up my spots and somewhat wear my hair down. One thing I can say is my hair is doing a lot better since I've started doing MHM. I'm hopeful that I can still make progress with my bald spots on this regimen :yep:.

kiannack

HopefulOne I'm going through the same thing :yep:. I'd started losing my hair in my late 20's and I'm now in my early 40's. I was diagnosed with scarring alopecia too. I've been to many dermatologists, I've seen a natural doctor, and I got some bio testing done but no one can tell me my underlying issue. All I've been told is that my body is attacking my hair follicles but no solution to stop it :sad:.

I did the bald spot regimen for 7 months per pinkecube's suggestion and it didn't help me get my hair back :nono:. It did help a little but I still have noticeable spots in my head. I think scarring alopecia is different from traction alopecia or any other form of alopecia cuz the hair follicles are permanently damaged so it's a little harder to get the hair to grow back in those areas. I've lost hair at my temples and my crown and it can get quite depressing, but I'm thankful that I can cover up my spots and somewhat wear my hair down. One thing I can say is my hair is doing a lot better since I've started doing MHM. I'm hopeful that I can still make progress with my bald spots on this regimen :yep:.

I'm also a member of the scarring alopecia club. I've had it for about a decade. I started the Paleo diet by cutting out all grains and wheat from my diet and that has stopped the alopecia in its tracks and a bunch of other health issues are gone too. There are a bunch of articles on how we are not meant to eat wheat etc and that causes inflammation in the body that results in a bunch of autoimmune disorders.
The alopecia came back last year and I was afraid I'd lose the rest of my hair. I've read stores of people whose bodies have healed from the Paleo diet so I have my fingers crossed .

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
On the BNB website, their recommendation is to not use the sodium bentonite clay if you're protein sensitive. Just thought I'd share if someone is thinking of using it soon or have used it and had bad results but didn't know why.

Sent from my SM-N900V using LHCF

faithVA

[USER=266376 said:
tashboog[/USER];21272421]@HopefulOne I'm going through the same thing :yep:. I'd started losing my hair in my late 20's and I'm now in my early 40's. I was diagnosed with scarring alopecia too. I've been to many dermatologists, I've seen a natural doctor, and I got some bio testing done but no one can tell me my underlying issue. All I've been told is that my body is attacking my hair follicles but no solution to stop it :sad:.

I thought the area in your crown had gotten noticeably smaller. Is that not true? When I saw the pics, I thought it was better.

I know your temples didn't come back but I think those come back last and not first. JMO

faithVA

On the BNB website, their recommendation is to not use the sodium bentonite clay if you're protein sensitive. Just thought I'd share if someone is thinking of using it soon or have used it and had bad results but didn't know why.

What's the BNB site? I will keep this in mind. I will use it but not often. Fortunately it didn't make my hair hard like protein but it didn't make it soft either. :ohwell:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I'm also a member of the scarring alopecia club. I've had it for about a decade. I started the Paleo diet by cutting out all grains and wheat from my diet and that has stopped the alopecia in its tracks and a bunch of other health issues are gone too. There are a bunch of articles on how we are not meant to eat wheat etc and that causes inflammation in the body that results in a bunch of autoimmune disorders.
The alopecia came back last year and I was afraid I'd lose the rest of my hair. I've read stores of people whose bodies have healed from the Paleo diet so I have my fingers crossed .
kiannack I've done the paleo diet too once I've found out that I have allergens to wheat, gluten, soy, dairy, almonds, and eggs. I can't really eat like everyone else or I will pay dearly for it. My point is that changing my diet still hasn't healed my alopecia but my hair is doing better since I've changed my eating habits :yep:. However, I am glad that the paleo diet has worked to heal your alopecia :grin:.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I thought the area in your crown had gotten noticeably smaller. Is that not true? When I saw the pics, I thought it was better.

I know your temples didn't come back but I think those come back last and not first. JMO
faithVA yes my crown has gotten smaller and that's why I had stated that bald spot regimen did help my hair a little :yep:. I also think the more water that's hitting my scalp the more I'll see improvement with those areas.

CoveredGirl

Hi All!

I just BC'd last week and as a result I have a 2" TWA of 4C frizzy hair all over. I plan on wigging it for the next 6 months anyway so I really want to incorporate MHM into my regimen but have a few questions- please help :)

1. How do you guys keep the baggy on overnight? Nothing seems to prevent the baggy from slipping off by the morning.

2. Anyone discover a method to reduce/eliminate the "CRUNCH" noise under the wig?

3. Any restrictions to using DevaCurl No Poo as my co-wash and Kanechom as my DC? I love these two together plus I gotta use up my stash!

4. With all this moisture, when do you incorporate some protein? Am I missing something? :spinning:

5. MY MHM REGIMEN: This is what I'm thinking about daily-- please let me know if I'm on the right track:

Every Night: Steps 1-4 and DC/Baggy overnight with Kanechom; Red Pimento Oil/Castor Oil on scalp

Every Morning: Rinse out DC, Spray with aloe vera juice (recommended by stylist), Design Essentials Naturals Leave In, Olive Oil (seal), Design Essentials Curling Creme Gel (to curl define/seal/protect/flatten TWA under wig) then repeat Steps 1-4 etc at night.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I'm also a member of the scarring alopecia club. I've had it for about a decade. I started the Paleo diet by cutting out all grains and wheat from my diet and that has stopped the alopecia in its tracks and a bunch of other health issues are gone too. There are a bunch of articles on how we are not meant to eat wheat etc and that causes inflammation in the body that results in a bunch of autoimmune disorders. The alopecia came back last year and I was afraid I'd lose the rest of my hair. I've read stores of people whose bodies have healed from the Paleo diet so I have my fingers crossed .
I know this is off topic but I read somewhere that refined sugar is also an inflammation culprit. I know from personal experience that eliminating sweetened drinks stopped the lower extremity swelling and reduced some gastrointestinal issues.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I have tried everything and this spot has been ther about 20 years
HopefulOne my previous post might have come across a bit negative and that wasn't my attention. Since I've been on this forum my alopecia areas have improved greatly. I want to post pics to show you but I'm still kind of embarrassed to post those pics. My crown was really bad when I first started my journey but when I showed faithVA my pics she thinks that I can heal my crown in about 2 years :grin:. The bald spot regimen seemed to improve my crown cuz it was wide like a 3 lane highway but now it's more like a single lane :lol:. The one thing I've been doing is massaging those areas and using the NJoy oil and using a dermaroller before applying the oil so that it can actually penetrate those areas. Hang in there and stay positive cause your hair will improve despite of what the doctors tell you. All my doctors said that my hair will not grow back but I have pics to prove that hair is slowing growing in those areas :yep:.

GGsKin

Hi All!

Baha_Ma
I just BC'd last week and as a result I have a 2" TWA of 4C frizzy hair all over. I plan on wigging it for the next 6 months anyway so I really want to incorporate MHM into my regimen but have a few questions- please help :)

1. How do you guys keep the baggy on overnight? Nothing seems to prevent the baggy from slipping off by the morning.

2. Anyone discover a method to reduce/eliminate the "CRUNCH" noise under the wig?

3. Any restrictions to using DevaCurl No Poo as my co-wash and Kanechom as my DC? I love these two together plus I gotta use up my stash!

4. With all this moisture, when do you incorporate some protein? Am I missing something? :spinning:

5. MY MHM REGIMEN: This is what I'm thinking about daily-- please let me know if I'm on the right track:

Every Night: Steps 1-4 and DC/Baggy overnight with Kanechom; Red Pimento Oil/Castor Oil on scalp

Every Morning: Rinse out DC, Spray with aloe vera juice (recommended by stylist), Design Essentials Naturals Leave In, Olive Oil (seal), Design Essentials Curling Creme Gel (to curl define/seal/protect/flatten TWA under wig) then repeat Steps 1-4 etc at night.

1. I tied my bag so that it is on my forehead and only pushed back to my hairline when wigging. My head/ body must be well trained because my scarf and bag never come off during the night.

2. That rustle will certainly be there:lol: but I do bag, silk scarf, and stocking cap. It seems like a lot but my head is small. The scarf stops my hair from completely drying out (vs bag and stocking alone). This compresses the bag and eliminates noise a bit but if you itch (or get a little jiggy lol), you will still hear it. I got over it.

4. Some incorporate proper protein during the DC step (step 2 in the original method), but there is the CLCT which is the homemade mild protein step for this regimen.

5. You don't have to do the whole thing daily- it's advised as a starter booster, but not necessary.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
Hi All!

Congratulations on your BC!! I also started the mhm after my BC on 12/19, it was a great decision for me.

The baggy staying on has a lot to do with an individuals sleep habit, my would slide off at times too, I would just put it back on. Are you wearing it underneath a scarf or bonnet? That's usually enough to keep it on but like I said, some people are just squirmy while sleeping, Lol.

I don't wear wigs, can you loosely cover your hair in plastic wrap instead of the cap?

Deva Curl products are not approved and Kanchom is definitely a no-no products. If you stick to approved products early on and especially post BC, you'll have much better results. I would suggest you strictly stick to the regimen as it is written for now or try Dubai's version.

The CLCT is your protein treatment. You'll do that first and then follow with steps 2-5. After the first application, you can do do it as often as needed. Some people find that when you reach a standstill, another CLCT will usually help get things back on track.

Have you read the MHM official site? If not you might want to thoroughly read it before starting. There's some great information there and serves as a wonderful reference point to get you started.

Holla4mom

Welcome Baha_Ma!

I am wigging it to. At night I cover my head with the baggie and then a stocking cap and an actual pair of stockings, lol! That way I can wrap the "legs" around my head and it stays.

During the day my stocking cap over the baggie cuts down on the crunch of plastic, but sometimes you can still hear it a little if I itch. I'm wide open though and am like, oops I can hear my moisturizing cap, lol!

I think you can get really good results while wigging it because you can do the regimen regularly without the added styling time. The first two weeks, when I was deep conditioning almost all day and night, my hair got good hydration but overmoisturized and I had to correct it with a Cherry Lola Treatment. Since you're just getting started I recommend at least trying Dubaidee4c's modified regimen and skipping the conditioner all together, or using a natural leave in conditioner of water, a little olive oil, honey, etc.

Deva-curl no poo ingredients:
Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Behentrimonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-7, Laureth-4, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Propylene Glycol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Triticum Aestivum (Wheat) Peptide, Avena Sativa (Oat) Peptide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Peptide, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Menthol, Citric Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance.

I see Glycerin which Pinkecube (MHM promoter) advised against because it can pull moisture out of your hair if it's not really humid outside. It's best to avoid Poly-quats, they can be drying and are considered a MHM no-no. Propylene Glycol can also be drying and is considered a no no. Wheat peptide is a protein, and proteins as part of the "daily" regimen are not encouraged as they can also build up and therefore drying because the water can't get through our already lo-porosity hair.

Are you using the Kanechom Ceramides conditioner? The underlined ingredients below combine to form a ceramide coating which is great for those with high porosity, damaged hair but not for those with lo-porosity which most 4c ladies have. Also it contains a silicone which will coat your hair as well.

Ingredients:
ents: Water, cetearyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride, parfum, hexyl cinnamal, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, dimethicone, water, glycerin, PEG-8, PEG-8 SMDI copolymer, palmitotyl myristyl serinate, sodium polyacrylate, citric acid, CI 14720, CI 42090

You can definitely use up the products in your stash but you may not see much progress until you are done with those and use the non-drying, non-coating products recommended with the regimen.
Hi All!

Holla4mom

I hope this helps:

http://maxhydrationmethod.com/2014/08/16/mhm-recommended-product-list/

Below is the list of No-no ingredients that we avoid in this regimen and a brief explanation of each:

TEA-triethanolamine and other ethanolamines(MEA, DEA,etc):
A drying alcohol derived from ethanol, forms lye salt in water based products and dissolves certain types of hair after long term use (like wearing a product with this ingredient on your hair for the whole day and overnight, or using it daily).

Hydrolyzed wheat protein/ peptides :
Bad for low porosity hair and most kinkier Type 4 hair.

Panthenol/Pro-Vitamin B5 :
build up and acts like protein.

Glycerin& Propylene glycol :
Pulls moisture out of hair cortex in dry conditions, glycerin is also astringent.

Mineral Oil and waxes :
Builds up and is difficult to remove all residue without shampoo.

Polyquats :
Just another version of silicones.

High amounts of quaternary salts:
build up on the hair as well, although this is primarily an issue for those in a cowash only routine. Still we look out for it when it becomes excessive. Quatsalts are great lubricants, make great slip for detangling, and hold moisture well to the hair, but If you have 4-5 or more quatsalts in your conditioner, it will start to affect how it absorbs into your hair. It also depends on how high they are on the list. 4 quatsalts at the top of the list, is worse than maybe 3 at the top and one beneath the first 5 ingredients. The issue with too many quatsalts is it will sit on your hair more than it moisturizes and absorbs. This can affect your results as well. For some it can weigh down their hair, though that mostly effects those with looser textures. Tighter textures may notice a bit more frizz or feel like it didn’t absorb as well into the hair as a product that contains less.

Silicones:
build up, can’t be removed without sulphate shampoo.

Denatured and drying alcohol:
drying to the hair

Salts and sulphates:
Drying to the hair sodium hydroxide or any form of lye or hydroxide/ NaOH: Lye, dissolves hair after long term use.

Ingredients to take note of caution for sensitivities:

Aloe vera juice and Coconut oil. Both can leave the hair feeling hard even though they aren’t official No-No ingredients. Aloe is okay in gel, since it is going to dry and form a cast, but some may even be sensitive to that.

Last edited: