Is it too hot to wear weaves and wigs in the summer?

Desarae

I don't know if its too hot or not, but I'm weaved up right now and I do feel a bit hotter than usual...nothing I can't handle though

cmbodley

I live in Florida when I wore them I never had a problem I work indoors & rarely outside just a few mins.

mscocoface

Depends on the person.

This summer will be the first summer I go without any additional hair on my head. It has been years since I have done this.

I am having a serious mental adjustment with this one. At the very least I would put in extensions to give me twists some length to be on top of my head but this year my hair is long enough not to use extension hair. WoooHooo!!!!!!!!

Girl, says who?? All weaves/wigs don't have to be long and hot. I live in Texas and weaves are my summer protective style.

Get yourself a bob weave/wig like I do.

it was cut from a longer weave that was like 10/12 inches halfway through the 3 months

I love this cut, which wig is this?

MizzBrit

i live in florida and i have been wearing new born free kelly(a thick kinky long halfwig) and it actually isnt that bad to me..maybe ive adapted to the heat.

bellesocialite

For me, yes and no. From the weather of this past week, I'm skipping wigs that are long and thick and opting for shorter hair. I just finished my first stocking cap weave today and used shorter hair to make it. Also, wigs with those vents help get some air to my scalp.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Chile, I am wigging it too!:blush:

I hope to be able to stay in this "Thang" All Summer.:burning:

Trust: It's the First thang I snatch off soon as I hit Da' Do':rofl:

I have a Medium and a Super Short Boy Cut one. What has helped me is the Netted Wig Cap and Plenty of Moisturizer.:lick:

shadylane21

Hey ladies!! I just had to post because yesterday I went to work with my hair cornrowed with a weave on top then I had the nerve to put a lace front on top of that! I have a video on it, but don't want to post to many links lol! Anywho I live in az and it is hot as you know what and as I type I am taking out my weave and about to put on my lace front! Sooooo no it's never to hot for weave or wigs!

davisbr88

I don't think so! I wore a big curly one all last summer and I wasn't hot! I plan on wearing it again for the rest of the month :)

JaszyFaye

It just depends on the person.I live in Texas, currently it's 93% humidity, and sometimes I can take it but other times I just want to cut the weave out because I sweat super bad.

Lady S

Depends on how much you're outside, what length it is, etc. When I knew I was going to be outside a lot, I'd wear a short wig. If I knew I was going to be indoors a lot, I wore my curly shoulder length wig.

Ms Lala

I live in the Dallas area and I wore wigs last summer. I like half wigs. My natural hair is hot when loose so it doesn't feel much different when I braid it and wear a half wig.

tnorenberg

Yes!!!, a wig is one thing, a weave is another. I'd rather have a weave in if it were me in the middle of the summer.

beautyaddict1913

Ah, mixed responses here, thank you all for replying :yep:. I should have added a poll really; is there a way I can go back and do that? Otherwise nevermind.

I was thinking of getting a long thick straight style with a fringe (bangs), Nicki Minaj style:
http://blogs.bet.com/ontv/thedeal/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/nickiminaj1.jpg
Would that be OK, or should I save it for the autumn (fall)?

The only thing about the long weave with the bangs is that my forehead will sweat for no reason with just a little heat...I used to have a physical labor job and I had a 14 inch Nicki Minaj weave and baby I used to go to the restroom every 15 minutes to lift those bangs up and wipe the sweat off my forehead, nowhere else was sweating and nobody knew I was sweating under those bangs but me...and I had that hairstyle in November lmaooo, so I know it would be tragic in July!

If youre not a hot natured person go for it...and Nichi was right, in Texas ladies wear 18 inch weaves yearround (temps are about 105 literally, with the thickest air you ever breathed), and it appears to me that they get longer weaves in the summer, because it looks cute with the season's skimpier clothes lol...I have a special outdoor event in August and Im getting weaved up for it because I cant depend on my hair to behave in the elements lol.

Ozma

I wish I could keep my hair in braids under a wig for the summer, but I sweat too much from my head.:sad:

cgolden

yes! @ least 4 me... my hair is to thick to ne stuck to my scalp and covered in the heat. even fros can be too hot because no breeze can reach my scalp

BlackDiamond21

I think it is a personal preference.

I can't stand to be hot (it gets ugly :lachen:when I am), so I already know that my wigs are strictly for the winter :look:!

GreenD

This is going on my second summer wearing wigs, and I got a cute chin length bob that I'm wearing since it's hot. I couldn't do that stuff on my neck again.

ms.blue

I wore weaves over the summers and it was killa. I prefer wigs b/c I can take it off at the end of day.

NuBraveHeart

nope. rockin a short weave for protective styling now. you don't always have to go for 12 - 18 inches. i got a 10 short.

Eluv

OMG after not wearing a wig an over a year, I decided I was going to wear one for the next 3 weeks. So Wednesday I wore my wig to work followed by an hour of Cardio at the gym. It was already hot and working out with a wig on just made matters worse. I couldn't take it anymore; I snatched the wig off in the car before leaving the gym. I can’t do it. It's too hot in Florida right now.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I have a Super Short Boy Cut I am planning to rock as the Temp inches towards 90 degrees. :nono:

I have my Arsenal of Creamy Moisturizers Handy And my netted wig-cap so I think I'm good for the rest of the summer.

I was thinking about picking up a bottle of TW Bodifying Mist (I feel I may need a little spritz under there too, as the temperature continues to race):blush:

Now, I just got to figure out how to rock this little short wig.:grin:

*Looks for Huge Silver Hoops*:look:

It just depends on the person.I live in Texas, currently it's 93% humidity, and sometimes I can take it but other times I just want to cut the weave out because I sweat super bad.

Thanks for this JF! I'm getting ready to move there this summer and was wondering if wearing a wig would even be worth it.

discodumpling

Hell yeah...but it's too hot to wear wigs & weaves in the winter for me. My scalp sweats PROFUSELY year round.....I have this thing about feeling AIR on my scalp, i've got to have it!

BrooklynSouth

Wigs are not too hot for me in the summer-weekends I'm wigless. My hair is twisted or cornrowed beneath the wig cap..actually cooling as the air blows through it all. Wisping wig hair does bothers my face in warmer weather so I wear shorter wigs .