Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I have been using water for moisture and olive oil to seal. I have baggied and it replaces the moisture until it air dries. Once it air dries, it becomes drier than the desert. I am not sure what my porosity is. I believe I am low porosity just based on the fact that oil doesn't seem to absorb in my hair. I am 7 months post. Please help. I am at my wits end here.

You might need to look into another moisturizer other than water. When was your last protein treatment on your hair?

I ask because I had the same issues w/ dryness. My hair wasn't retaining moisture from my DC and leave in (high porosity) and the lack of protein wasn't allowing moisture to stay in as well. Now I spray my hair w/ ACV, water mix... Apply a moisturizer and seal w/ an oil.

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
KidneyBean86 have you tried coconut oil? It is one of the few oils that can be abosrbed onto the air for moisture. Also, your protein/moisture balance may be off. What products are you using? Oh, and whats ur hair type? Fine, thick, etc.

No, I haven't tried coconut oil. I am transitioning so I have been trying out products. For the time being, I have been using kinky kurly knot today as a leave in and detangler, trader joes tea tree tingle to clarify, nu expressions conditioner and shampoo, and olive oil to seal. Every now and again I would use elasta qp mango butter. I believe my hair is a mix. The back of my hair seems to be very fine but the top is very thick and course.

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
You might need to look into another moisturizer other than water. When was your last protein treatment on your hair?

I ask because I had the same issues w/ dryness. My hair wasn't retaining moisture from my DC and leave in (high porosity) and the lack of protein wasn't allowing moisture to stay in as well. Now I spray my hair w/ ACV, water mix... Apply a moisturizer and seal w/ an oil.

I don't think I have ever done a protein treatment. What type of moisturizer do you suggest?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

FlawedBeauty

KidneyBean86 Tea tree stuff can be drying, but the fact that it is a clarifying poo I know it is drying. Many ppl love the kinky curly, but it dries my hair out. How often are you clarifying? That could be drying you out. I recently turned to steaming because my hair would not hold moisture in the top. It has helped greatly. My hair hates olive oil too. I recently started using Aphogees Curlrific Texture Treatment and its really nice. I air dry completely before moisturizing and sealing. My hair feels gross if I try to do it on damp or wet hair. I am abt a year post relaxer and bsl.
No, I haven't tried coconut oil. I am transitioning so I have been trying out products. For the time being, I have been using kinky kurly knot today as a leave in and detangler, trader joes tea tree tingle to clarify, nu expressions conditioner and shampoo, and olive oil to seal. Every now and again I would use elasta qp mango butter. I believe my hair is a mix. The back of my hair seems to be very fine but the top is very thick and course.

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
KidneyBean86 Tea tree stuff can be drying, but the fact that it is a clarifying poo I know it is drying. Many ppl love the kinky curly, but it dries my hair out. How often are you clarifying? That could be drying you out. I recently turned to steaming because my hair would not hold moisture in the top. It has helped greatly. My hair hates olive oil too. I recently started using Aphogees Curlrific Texture Treatment and its really nice. I air dry completely before moisturizing and sealing. My hair feels gross if I try to do it on damp or wet hair. I am abt a year post relaxer and bsl.

I have been hearing alot about aphongee. Maybe I should try to try to get my moisture back on track.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I don't think I have ever done a protein treatment. What type of moisturizer do you suggest? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I read good reviews about your Elasta QP Mango Butter. I use a butter as well after spritzing my hair because it does not have water in it....

....but if you prefer a water-based moisturizer. There's Hydratherma Naturals Growth Lotion, Ultra Black Hair Creme Moisturize Lotion, ORS Hair Lotion, and Cantu Leave In to name a few.

Honey Bee

KidneyBean86 have you tried coconut oil? It is one of the few oils that can be abosrbed onto the air for moisture. Also, your protein/moisture balance may be off. What products are you using? Oh, and whats ur hair type? Fine, thick, etc.
FlawedBeauty, I thought that coconut oil was sort of protein. Not technically, but that it protects you from losing whatever protein is already in your hair. I didn't know it did anything for moisture. :confused:

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
:crying3:I think I am probably going to end up big chopping. My hair is already short from a supposed "trim" at a "natural hair salon."

I deep conditioned this afternoon and it did help with the moisture aspect of my hair but I am seeing alot of broken hairs in my sink when I detangle. I just don't know what to do anymore.:sad:

KaramelKutie803

:crying3:I think I am probably going to end up big chopping. My hair is already short from a supposed "trim" at a "natural hair salon."

I deep conditioned this afternoon and it did help with the moisture aspect of my hair but I am seeing alot of broken hairs in my sink when I detangle. I just don't know what to do anymore.:sad:

Have you tried the protein treatment yet? What did you deep condition with? Also when was the last time you clarified?

KaramelKutie803

::sigh:: With the weather getting warmer I'm getting that urge to BC again. I'll be a year post next month so I'm trying to hold out until then. Then all these natural products lining the shelves these days aren't helping. Maybe I can at least hold out until my bday in June. I'll be 14 months post by then.

FlawedBeauty

@ Honey Bee coconut oil does not moisturize per se, but it is very effective at helping to retain moisture for the reasons you mention below

FlawedBeauty, I thought that coconut oil was sort of protein. Not technically, but that it protects you from losing whatever protein is already in your hair. I didn't know it did anything for moisture. :confused:

FlawedBeauty

KidneyBean86 sounds like you need to try different products. Since you are having such a hard time you may want to look into getting a hair analysis from Komaza Care or a similar place. Some other questions:

How often do you wash?
What styles do you wear?
How often do you use heat?
How do you dry and detangle?

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
KidneyBean86 sounds like you need to try different products. Since you are having such a hard time you may want to look into getting a hair analysis from Komaza Care or a similar place. Some other questions:

How often do you wash?
What styles do you wear?
How often do you use heat?
How do you dry and detangle?

FlawedBeauty, I try to wash my hair every week. Normally, I wear wigs or a twist out. I do not use heat at all in my hair. I usually just let my hair air dry. I detangle with a wide tooth comb with kinky kurly leave in/detangler.

Britt

Scab hair is real. Seriously.
I always knew that's what I had all these years fr relaxing frequently. When I washed my hair yesterday I could see a difference in the newer new growth compared to the new growth on the ends some.
Going natural is surely a process. It's interesting to see how my hair is changing. And I find it so interesting that my hair right now is far more manageable than it was much earlier on in my transition. I would have never ever expected this. I always thought it would get progressively more difficult. I don't have issues on wash day at all. And truthfully speaking, I no longer find it difficult to deal with my hair at all. I never thought I'd be writing this lol. You guys have no idea how I absolutely dreaded the idea of transitioning. I'm seeing all these changes in my hair as I get more new growth. It's crazy.
I remember being 6 months post and just feeling dreadful. I went to a stylist for a flat iron and he suggested I either big chop or rock braids or something.
Hang in there ladies !!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

southerncitygirl

KidneyBean86

maybe the ors wasn't strong enough and I actually thought it leaned more towards moisture. try aphogee 2 minute and if you feel you need more do the 2 step treatment. i suggest these cause you can get them on the ground, komaza care protein strengthner is actually my protein of choice. extensive breakage needs a hardcore protein treatment. also keep in mind that the relxed hair is weaker than your natural hair..... its typical that some will snap off. how deep are you in your transition? how much longer are you planning to go? i suggest chopping by no later than late summer/early fall.

KidneyBean86

Southern sweetheart
KidneyBean86

maybe the ors wasn't strong enough and I actually thought it leaned more towards moisture. try aphogee 2 minute and if you feel you need more do the 2 step treatment. i suggest these cause you can get them on the ground, komaza care protein strengthner is actually my protein of choice. extensive breakage needs a hardcore protein treatment. also keep in mind that the relxed hair is weaker than your natural hair..... its typical that some will snap off. how deep are you in your transition? how much longer are you planning to go? i suggest chopping by no later than late summer/early fall.

southerncitygirl, I am 7 months into my transition. I was planning to cut sometime in August when I start nursing school. I am going to pick up a protein treatment tomorrow and see how that works for my hair.

isawstars

I'm debating whether or not if I should return to being natural. I'm 6 months post because I simply wanted to stretch my texlaxing but I almost feel like, I should keep going. But if I keep going I want to use heat 2x a month.

Is anyone transitioning with heat?

If I do switch back to natural I want to be a "straight haired" natural. I'm not sure if anyone else has that goal too. If so, let me know! I'd love to have a transition partner with the same goals. :grin:

tapioca_pudding

I'm debating whether or not if I should return to being natural. I'm 6 months post because I simply wanted to stretch my texlaxing but I almost feel like, I should keep going. But if I keep going I want to use heat 2x a month. Is anyone transitioning with heat? If I do switch back to natural I want to be a "straight haired" natural. I'm not sure if anyone else has that goal too. If so, let me know! I'd love to have a transition partner with the same goals. :grin:

I plan to use heat through my transition :yep: Im only one month post so Im not on the same level you are at. When I become natural I will likely still use heat maybe once or twice a month. Heat helps keep away SSKs for me and make my new growth more manageable. I just make sure I DC well and keep my ends moisturized.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

isawstars

I plan to use heat through my transition :yep: Im only one month post so Im not on the same level you are at. When I become natural I will likely still use heat maybe once or twice a month. Heat helps keep away SSKs for me and make my new growth more manageable. I just make sure I DC well and keep my ends moisturized.

Yeah, when I was natural the first time, I was anti heat and I regret not giving it a try before texlaxing. It was extremely difficult to straighten my hair but I'm sure over time it becomes easier.

Thanks for sharing tapioca_pudding

sharifeh

I'm debating whether or not if I should return to being natural. I'm 6 months post because I simply wanted to stretch my texlaxing but I almost feel like, I should keep going. But if I keep going I want to use heat 2x a month. Is anyone transitioning with heat? If I do switch back to natural I want to be a "straight haired" natural. I'm not sure if anyone else has that goal too. If so, let me know! I'd love to have a transition partner with the same goals. :grin:

isawstars

I'm 7.5 months post and I'm transitioning with heat , I wouldn't be able to survive otherwise
I straighten about twice a month like clockwork
My hair is bone straight so that's the only way to blend for me
I plan on being a straight haired natural :)

freckledface

You ladies are right on time as always! I plan on blow drying and flat ironing my hair next week. I'm wondering what's the best type of brush to use during blow drying? And do you think the 6 weeks anti reversion cream by dark and lovely woould work or even be needed? I'll be in Texas for a week so I'm not sure if my hair will last.

isawstars

isawstars

I'm 7.5 months post and I'm transitioning with heat , I wouldn't be able to survive otherwise
I straighten about twice a month like clockwork
My hair is bone straight so that's the only way to blend for me
I plan on being a straight haired natural :)

sharifeh This makes me so happy to see! Will you share your regimen?

pearlific1

I'm debating whether or not if I should return to being natural. I'm 6 months post because I simply wanted to stretch my texlaxing but I almost feel like, I should keep going. But if I keep going I want to use heat 2x a month.

Is anyone transitioning with heat?

If I do switch back to natural I want to be a "straight haired" natural. I'm not sure if anyone else has that goal too. If so, let me know! I'd love to have a transition partner with the same goals. :grin:

isawstars I'll be your transitioning buddy! I was natural for less than a year because I was experiencing so much breakage with my 4a/4b texture. I decided to texlax to give myself some relief. While I love my texlaxed hair, I'm transitioning again because I have a better idea of what my hair needs to retain length: heat. While I won't use heat often, I will keep my hair in stretched/straight styles in order to prevent the SSKs that I currently deal with often. I'm currently 7 months post.

ITA with the bold text. While I will be a heat user, I will definitely keep my moisture up. :yep:

caliscurls

I'll be 12 months post Tuesday and I tension blow dry every 2 weeks. Next week I'm going to try Alicia James method of air drying first then flat ironing on low. I'm another one that's planning to be a straight hair natural.

beauti

confession: I had a moment of insanity last night where I wanted to relax my hair. The feeling just came over me and it was intense! I text my SO and practically forced him to agree that I should go back to the crack :nono: thank goodness it lasted all of like thirty minutes before the urge faded. Now as I reflect on it I can't believe I had a weak moment after all this time! I'm gonna push forward though. Must...not...go astray :look: