Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
ZebraPrintLover
I haven't clarified in months. Do you think that would help? I just figured I needed a heavy duty moisturizer. I don't know but it's different than the rest of my hair plus it's the first thing people see since its in the front. The crown may have some fuzzy/frizzy/undefined strands in between defined strands too but idk because I can't see it lol.

This is part of the reason I haven't BCed yet.

I really think you should try to clarify, I use the cheap Suave for 99 cent. IDK anything about that ACV stuff so I wont be pumping that up. My friend called me crying saying that her hair wasnt curling like after flatironing I directed her to Suave and it brought her hair back to life. I do it once a month just to have a clean slate every month, if I dont want it as harsh I mix it with CON-Green.

If majority of your straight hair has broken off from transitioning and now only about 17.6% of your head is really transitioning, which you keep solely to keep your top bun full, are you still transitioning? Lol :rolleyes:
Where you get this # from LOL.....

OhTall1

18 months into my transition :pulpdance:

I didn't have a plan for how long I was going to go before I cut, but most likely, I'll cut off my relaxed ends next month before I get my crochet braids redone. When I took down the hair the last time, the relaxed parts looked awful because of too much manipulation. I was doing a lot of braidouts and curlformer sets, and it ruined the old hair.

I :love3: my crochet braids, in part because they're easy to take care of (but mostly because I get so many compliments!!!) I'll probably keep doing the braids until I get tired of the style.

daviine

@daviine I guess I just dont see the big deal about thing 2 because that is what most of my hair looks like lol. Ive learned to accept it and as long as it is soft and growing I'm happy.Im starting to think I dont have a curl pattern at all except around my ears and nape bc I figured if I did it would have started showing by now. I don't let it get me down though, ive come too far too turn back now! I promised myself to love whatever it is that grows out of my head...and ive become amazed that even the kinkiest, most coarse hair in the world can be soft with the right care. There are so many ways to get a uniform pattern by setting with different size braids and twists... Your hair is gonna be gorgeous no matter what chica so chin up! Don't psych yourself out, you have got this!

LeslieC
My hair has about three different patterns. If my whole hair was the same pattern, it’d be easier to accept. It’s just that I’ve had a hard time getting this part of my hair to blend with the rest. The other part is that I haven’t completely transitioned mentally and I’m still trying to find a way around braidouts and twistouts. What I miss about being relaxed is that it was easy to throw my hair in a bun—I’m a minimalist. So I’m not looking forward to dealing with the different patterns—but I guess I should focus on growing and retaining my hair so I can BC.

I really think you should try to clarify, I use the cheap Suave for 99 cent. IDK anything about that ACV stuff so I wont be pumping that up. My friend called me crying saying that her hair wasnt curling like after flatironing I directed her to Suave and it brought her hair back to life. I do it once a month just to have a clean slate every month, if I dont want it as harsh I mix it with CON-Green.

Where you get this # from LOL.....
ZebraPrintLover

I have a clarifying shampoo here so I will try it soon. I think after that I may even give up cones for a while to see if that makes a different. I suspect that that may just be the way my hair is but I’m interested to see what results different products give me. I'm going to start over with a clean slate and see what happens. Thanks.

In other news-- I usually finger detangle my hair when I wash my hair. I usually don’t thoroughly detangle my hair. I bought the Magic Star Jumbo Rake and so I wanted to try it out today. I lost more hair than I usually do and started panicking in the shower (because of the thinning). I’m hoping that all that extra hair was hair that hadn’t been detangled from previous wash sessions. I’m not sure so I’m going to detangle with my rake for the next few sessions to see how much hair I lose.

Leslie_C

LeslieC
My hair has about three different patterns. If my whole hair was the same pattern, it’d be easier to accept. It’s just that I’ve had a hard time getting this part of my hair to blend with the rest. The other part is that I haven’t completely transitioned mentally and I’m still trying to find a way around braidouts and twistouts. What I miss about being relaxed is that it was easy to throw my hair in a bun—I’m a minimalist. So I’m not looking forward to dealing with the different patterns—but I guess I should focus on growing and retaining my hair so I can BC.

ZebraPrintLover

I have a clarifying shampoo here so I will try it soon. I think after that I may even give up cones for a while to see if that makes a different. I suspect that that may just be the way my hair is but I’m interested to see what results different products give me. I'm going to start over with a clean slate and see what happens. Thanks.

In other news-- I usually finger detangle my hair when I wash my hair. I usually don’t thoroughly detangle my hair. I bought the Magic Star Jumbo Rake and so I wanted to try it out today. I lost more hair than I usually do and started panicking in the shower (because of the thinning). I’m hoping that all that extra hair was hair that hadn’t been detangled from previous wash sessions. I’m not sure so I’m going to detangle with my rake for the next few sessions to see how much hair I lose.

daviine I understand chica. Im the same way....a MINIMALIST...you notice I live in a bun lol. A braidout/twistout will be my fancy style lol.

Does that part of your hair respond to shingling? Maybe also look into the cherry lola treatment...I've heard people report better curl dentition with that. Also since its the very front...if it is being very unruly you could always either slap a headband on or kind of part it to the side and gel and pin that part down with the other hair coming over it....not sure if that makes sense our you can visualize what I'm talking about.

Since I dont seem to have much of a pattern at all, I know I'll have to manipulate it some kind if way to style it even in a simple style....it would at least have to be stretched with braids or by banding prior to styling.

Ps re the detangling....No matter how gentle I am I notice I lose more hair detangling in the shower than I do after I get out. I know lots of people detangle that way, but I think my hair is more fragile and tangled soaking wet. Do you always detangle in the shower?

Highly Favored8

I am 23 of 24 months post relaxer. I chopped off my relaxed ends about 6-8 months ago. Next Saturday I will do a flat iron for length check only.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Hi ladies, I have a quick question, as far as light protein would LeKair cholesterol plus be fine weekly or should I use letting else, I've been using this for years every week as my deep condition

i believe if it aint broke, don't fix it....if lekair works for you, i say go for it. :yep: (cholesterol is protein)

R.A.A.H

my hair definitely grows half an inch.
or at least more than that.
my last relaxer was probably Sept 27-29.
i can't wait. im so excited!

havilland

i had two triumphs for thanksgiving. one i had my first successful braidout. and two i flat ironed for thanksgiving and it came out great!

here are some pics.

1st pic is the braidout
2nd pic is air dried vs. blow out
3rd pic is completed blow out
4th pic is flat iron vs. blow out
5th is final product

i prepooed with honey, bio infusion, some left over hairveda moisture 24/7, coconut oil and silk aminos. i washed with organix mandarin orange shampoo and Hairevda amla cream rinse. followed with Chi Thermal Infusion rinse out conditioner for heat styles.

Leave ins were Chi Keratin Mist, Joico Smoothing Balm (blow dry), and Kerastace Olio Relax Serum (flat iron). I use a light hand with each of these products to keep my hair flowing and soft.

OH and i cut 2 inches off!:yep:

Attachments

• 100_0785.jpg
    100_0785.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_0796.jpg
    100_0796.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_0802.jpg
    100_0802.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_0818.jpg
    100_0818.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_0826.jpg
    100_0826.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 69

The Princess

I decided I'm going to protective style with wigs. I'm tired of doing my hair need a break. I ordered a few wigs today. I can't wait till they get here. Still hanging in there

pattyr5

After months and months off struggling with breakage, the Joico Kpak got it under control. To think about all the hair I lost needlessly ***shudders***

Yall im 29 weeks and im starting to feel the wrath! Lol i took my braids out last weekend and got a sew in on wednesday. My hair is too short to put in a bun (which i hate) so weave is my run to right now. My hair is neck length.... When i started i was ear length so my strands are halfway natural.... But i dont wanna have short natural hair... Im so pver short hair lol cant wait until im shoulder length.... I havent flat ironed since May so we shall see

Ok im done rambling..... Transitioning is no joke!!! Kudos to everyone!!!

daviine

Yall im 29 weeks and im starting to feel the wrath! Lol i took my braids out last weekend and got a sew in on wednesday. My hair is too short to put in a bun (which i hate) so weave is my run to right now. My hair is neck length.... When i started i was ear length so my strands are halfway natural.... But i dont wanna have short natural hair... Im so pver short hair lol cant wait until im shoulder length.... I havent flat ironed since May so we shall see

I know what you mean about not wanting short natural hair. I was so tempted to BC the back of my hair but took a good length at the length of my hair and decided against it. Congrats on making it this far....:grin:

Leslie_C

AXtremeTakeover can you put your hair in a puff and then bun the puff fanning it around the base and pinning the ends under or wrapping then in a clock or our counterclockwise fashion and pin? That is my go to style and I cut my hair to my neck in May when I officially decided to transition. You might have to put a pin or two to hold the base in place so the band doesn't slide off since its not all natural and may not hold itself in place for long.

Shinka

Reading this thread inspired me to transition again. Took out Micros last night. No texlax since August 14th. Bantu knot set on braids

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-848095886.jpg
    image-848095886.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image-3668798307.jpg
    image-3668798307.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 36

missbugg21

Hey guys... I don't post often, but I wanted to introduce myself to your group.

I'm currently 12 weeks post and due for my relaxer next week, but I recently decided to make my 3rd attempt at transitioning. I began my HHJ in May 2010 but only made it 8 months into my transition before I relaxed. I decided to relax because I felt that I was equipped with so much knowledge about hair that I could finally take care of my relaxed hair and grow it long. I started stretching and using less heat and my hair started growing nicely; I'm currently at APL.

8 months after that I was still relaxing, but newly pregnant and decided to try to transition again because I didn't want to use the chemicals during my pregnancy. I made it almost through my entire pregnancy, but relaxed at the very end of the pregnancy.

About 2 months postpartum, I started experiencing shedding. My I co-wash, deep condition, moisturize, and protective style weekly which has done wonders for my breakage, but I'm still shedding like crazy. I've decided that this is something that cannot be avoided postpartum. I've tried garlic, tea rinses...etc. but nothing seems to combat this shedding.

This is what has brought me back to transitioning again. I would LOVE to just jump in head first with a BC, but I'm scared! LOL I am considering a sew-in weave while I transition and possibly tree braids.

I just wanted to introduce myself to you ladies and ask if you could provide me with the names or links to youtubers who you admire who have successfully transitioned or are in the process.

Thanks,
S

havilland

Hey guys... I don't post often, but I wanted to introduce myself to your group.

I'm currently 12 weeks post and due for my relaxer next week, but I recently decided to make my 3rd attempt at transitioning. I began my HHJ in May 2010 but only made it 8 months into my transition before I relaxed. I decided to relax because I felt that I was equipped with so much knowledge about hair that I could finally take care of my relaxed hair and grow it long. I started stretching and using less heat and my hair started growing nicely; I'm currently at APL.

8 months after that I was still relaxing, but newly pregnant and decided to try to transition again because I didn't want to use the chemicals during my pregnancy. I made it almost through my entire pregnancy, but relaxed at the very end of the pregnancy.

About 2 months postpartum, I started experiencing shedding. My I co-wash, deep condition, moisturize, and protective style weekly which has done wonders for my breakage, but I'm still shedding like crazy. I've decided that this is something that cannot be avoided postpartum. I've tried garlic, tea rinses...etc. but nothing seems to combat this shedding.

This is what has brought me back to transitioning again. I would LOVE to just jump in head first with a BC, but I'm scared! LOL I am considering a sew-in weave while I transition and possibly tree braids.

I just wanted to introduce myself to you ladies and ask if you could provide me with the names or links to youtubers who you admire who have successfully transitioned or are in the process.

Thanks,
S

welcome!:grin:

i only really know too many you tubers that have good information about transitioning. most that i know of just big chopped or they didn't chronicle their transition journey. i am sure other ladies will chime in with some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ninapruitt?feature=results_main

nina pruitt has some good vids and she transitioned for about 26 months.

congrats on the new baby!

i shed alot too when i had my son...it was a nightmare. just take good care of your hair and hang in there. eventually it stops and then your hair will grow back.

Last edited:

bellebebe

Is it weird that I have a patch in the middle of my head that is extra dry? No matter how much I moisturize, it doesnt seem to absorb anything. It gets a little soft after an ACV rinse, but it goes back to dryness afterwards. It`s so annoying. I need help, ladies.

Sent from. my sexy phone

Meemee6223

Is it weird that I have a patch in the middle of my head that is extra dry? No matter how much I moisturize, it doesnt seem to absorb anything. It gets a little soft after an ACV rinse, but it goes back to dryness afterwards. It`s so annoying. I need help, ladies.

Sent from. my sexy phone

I have the exact same problem. The rest of my hair has grown about 5-6 inches on average but that patch in the middle is about 2 inches at best. It's dry as the desert no matter what I do to it.

jroxiec

I have the exact same problem. The rest of my hair has grown about 5-6 inches on average but that patch in the middle is about 2 inches at best. It's dry as the desert no matter what I do to it.
I have the same issue. That spot is also a lot shorter and coarser than the rest of my hair and sometimes itches a lot. I was told it was my stress spot but IDK. Nothing seems to make it feel like like the rest of my hair.

bellebebe

I havent bcd yet, but its all natural because of breakage. I think thats one reason why I decided to go natural because I thought it was caused by relaxer damage. Since ACV tends to make it softer, I think im gonna spray some acv on that spot, leave it on for 5mn then immediately DC. Idk, if someone finds a cure, please help a sista out.

Sent from. my sexy phone

Meemee6223

I havent bcd yet, but its all natural because of breakage. I think thats one reason why I decided to go natural because I thought it was caused by relaxer damage. Since ACV tends to make it softer, I think im gonna spray some acv on that spot, leave it on for 5mn then immediately DC. Idk, if someone finds a cure, please help a sista out.

Sent from. my sexy phone

This is the same reason I decided to go natural. I thought the relaxer was thinning my hair out in that area. It wasn't always thin. I had lost so much of my relaxed ends there that I decided to cut the surrounding area. I saw a youtuber who put moisturizer/oil and suran wrap on her nape and left it that way for weeks. Her hair grew quite a bit in that area. I'm just not sure how we could get away with that being that it's the crown of our heads... I wouldn't know how to hide it. I also need to wash my hair frequently to maintain a healthy scalp.

ezina

I just put in mini braids (no attachments). If I can make them last 4-6 weeks at a time, and find the time to do them again, I think they will become my new go-to transitioning style. The upkeep is unbelievably simple. I plan to moisturize the braids and scalp every other day, cowash 1-2x a week, and shampoo/deep condition once every two weeks.

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I know what you mean about not wanting short natural hair. I was so tempted to BC the back of my hair but took a good length at the length of my hair and decided against it. Congrats on making it this far....:grin:

This is the reason I want to do a long term transition, I cant be seen with no TWA.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

Sent from. my sexy phone

i have this problem too. the middle of my hair is so dry and tangly and it keeps breaking off. its the main reason why i cant grow past apl without loosing my thickness.:nono: Im hoping that my black friday haul will get me over this hair hump ive been in for these last 2 years:nono:

Rae81

My crown is also very dry and thick and breaking. I was bad for awhile just wearing buns and just leaving it forba week. What I learned is I have to keep that section stretched and moisturize it every night to get it to act right. It also makes wash days easier