Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

MyTea

I've been thinking about transitioning for a while now. I'm the only one in my circle (other than my mom) that still relaxes. I am only two weeks post but I felt sooooo guilty after ( loved playing with my new growth). After talking to the bf he said you'd look great however your hair is:) so I'm taking the plunge.... Wish me luck!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Oh no....sorry to hear that. I assume it was the effects of the chlorine. I wish I had something encouraging to say. :sad:

omg! I'm so sorry to hear that!

Hopefully a good deep condition and gentle comb out will reverse and halt damage.

:(

What happened? How far along are you in your transition. I had a bad stretch in June and my started coming out in clumps....seriously.

i have no deep conditioner:nono: im away from home and i dont have my hair stuff with me. i though as long as i washed with swimmers shampoo i would be ok but my hair wasnt having that. i am going to swim anyway. i am really not sad about the loss. i am going to straighten it tomorrow just to see how it is.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Napp --- swimmer's shampoo is the debil. that stuff is rough on hair. i'm so sorry! can you get some olive oil and honey and deep treat your hair with that? that's what i did on vacation. (not sure where you are)

anyway...keep us posted. so sorry this happened to you!

havilland

I've been thinking about transitioning for a while now. I'm the only one in my circle (other than my mom) that still relaxes. I am only two weeks post but I felt sooooo guilty after ( loved playing with my new growth). After talking to the bf he said you'd look great however your hair is:) so I'm taking the plunge.... Wish me luck!

welcome to the club! have you ever done a long relaxer stretch?

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I'm going to go back and use the search function in this thread, but I'm still curious for recent answers. Is anybody using ACV rinses on transitioning hair?

i went to Ulta and bought a new blow dryer today. i am doing an aphoghee 2 step treatment, blowing my hair out and flat ironing it for thanksgiving. i will also be cutting about 2 inches off. :spinning:

my relaxed ends feel like they are melting. they are so thin. now i really see why i couldn't retain past apl when i was relaxed. my hair is so thin to being with that applying the chemical just eats it away. i really wish i had known this is what i was doing to my hair all these years.:nono:

i still miss that fresh relaxer look though...i ain't gonn a lye...pun intended.:lachen:

:giggle: I see what you did right there.

MyTea

havilland said:
welcome to the club! have you ever done a long relaxer stretch?

The longest I've went was about 3 months.... Relaxing has been like a ritual, only do it because I've done it for so long.

havilland

I'm going to go back and use the search function in this thread, but I'm still curious for recent answers. Is anybody using ACV rinses on transitioning hair?

:giggle: I see what you did right there.

i use acv rinses to deep cleanse my hair from product buildup...i actually just did it this week. instead of using clarifying shampoo.

The longest I've went was about 3 months.... Relaxing has been like a ritual, only do it because I've done it for so long.

ok...gotcha. well that experience of 3 month stretches will help you as you transition. my longest stretch was one year and the experience of dealing with two textures is helpful. read EVERYTHING you can. this journey changes almost every month. :yep:

daviine

@daviine :bighug: :bighug: please cheer up.. I hear the sadness in your post. Don't ever fret letting us know what is going on. My nephew had some thinning in the summer, he is 16... I noticed it and quickly gave him some black soap and had him use it daily.. he pretty much cleared up with in a month you could see the hair growing in. He felt really bad to be 16 and balding... I was ready to take him to the dermatologist if it didn't clear up myself.
Thanks @JJamiah. Nice to see you in here.

Welcome uofmpanther :wave:

I love reading this thread although I am relaxed. I guess I'm preparing for the day that I decide to become natural:grin:. Daviine I wish you well on your hair journey. Thinning can be quite depressing, but I am sure you will figure it out.

Thanks @janeemat.

im still trying to decide what to do with my hair. lately its just been in a ball in the back of my head. i have no patience for taking care of my hair anymore

I'm just at 12 weeks post and trying to learn from you ladies. The frustration factor can be intense.
@Napp and @pattyr5
:yep: :lol: I feel like that often. Welcome to the rollercoaster.

I can't remember if I'm in this challenge but I'm 23wks post today and Lord hamercy!! I have about 2.5-3 inches of ng and it feels like my ng is bullying my relaxed hair, but this relaxed hair is gonna have to man up because I'm not dropping $200+ on senegalese right here at Christmas and I ain't cutting. I have this dream of transitioning for...wait for it....3yrs. I know. Anyway,right now I'm "living" in my scarf with my hair parted in the middle and ponytailed in the back. I'm just dampening it for moisture and sealing with castor oil. It just feels so dry and blah...
Welcome @napbella! I wouldn't say it's a challenge but more of a support group---although we need all the support because it is challenging! I have a certain section of my hair that also feels dry and "blah". I'm still looking for products that meet the needs of all of my hair.

Last edited:

Rae81

im still trying to decide what to do with my hair. lately its just been in a ball in the back of my head. i have no patience for taking care of my hair anymore

This is my problem too, I wear a bun all the time. I really want to straighten it but I'm afraid of heat damage. The plus side is that from. If constant protective styling my hair is retaining its length

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Rae81

The hair in my crown is giving me the hardest time. I can't deal with it, the texture is way courser then the rest of my hair. When I do my braidouts the rest of my hair looks good but that section is just a poofy mess. I don't know what to do with I

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

havilland

The hair in my crown is giving me the hardest time. I can't deal with it, the texture is way courser then the rest of my hair. When I do my braidouts the rest of my hair looks good but that section is just a poofy mess. I don't know what to do with I

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

you may need to use a different technique on that section when you do braidouts. like more product, a heavier gel, leave in a regular conditioner instead of a lighter leave in, clip the hair at the root, braid it bigger or smaller. try some different things than what you do with your looser curl pattern.

my crown is coarser too. so i feel your pain.

NikkiQ

Hi ladies! Not transitioning anymore,but thought I could help. My crown is the same way. Always poofy and frizzy with a braid/twist out. Best thing I could do was to use a thicker product and smaller braids/twists to get better definition. HTH!

Sent from my Android...Boom.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I'm 5 months, 2 weeks, 1 day today.

Earlier today I went and had a deep condition, head massage from my hair dresser. He did me right. I love him. We used some of the products I bought for my transition. He hadn't used them before and it was an amazing experience.

His techniques and use of product are superb.

We used the Agadir and SheaMoiture lines. He detangled my hair with the Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo and used a water spritzer to manually detangle and smooth my hair from the root to tip removing shed hair (while checking for breakage), then proceed to shampoo. That was heaven. Ladies, try this technique. He said that he was impressed with the moisture content of this shampoo and it would work great as a detangler and it did!

We used the Agadir Moisturizing Masque for the deep conditioner (under the dryer). This, I had used before, so I knew he'd love it too.

After rinsing, he lightly oiled my scalp and then applied the Shea Moisture Organic Curl & Style Hair Milk and blew my hair dry.

Since I'm wearing a phony pony right now, he applied a little bit more of the Shea Moisture, smoothed and lightly brushed my hair up into a pony with the Hicks Edges and secured it with a band.

My hair is like butter-silk right now! :lol: It looks like I just had a touch-up! :lol:

pattyr5

january noir said:

Earlier today I went and had a deep condition, head massage from my hair dresser. He did me right. I love him. We used some of the products I bought for my transition. He hadn't used them before and it was an amazing experience.

We used the Agadir and SheaMoiture lines. He detangled my hair with the Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo and used a water spritzer to manually detangle and smooth my hair from the root to tip removing shed hair (while checking for breakage), then proceed to shampoo. That was heaven. Ladies, try this technique. He said that he was impressed with the moisture content of this shampoo and it would work great as a detangler and it did!

We used the Agadir Moisturizing Masque for the deep conditioner (under the dryer). This, I had used before, so I knew he'd love it too.

After rinsing, he lightly oiled my scalp and then applied the Shea Moisture Organic Curl & Style Hair Milk and blew my hair dry.

Since I'm wearing a phony pony right now, he applied a little bit more of the Shea Moisture, smoothed and lightly brushed my hair up into a pony with the Hicks Edges and secured it with a band.

My hair is like butter-silk right now! :lol: It looks like I just had a touch-up! :lol:

I would love to see a pic of you hair.

janeemat

Ok I'm reading this so carefully and just enjoying every detail:lick: of the products....:lick:at the pics and just knew I would see a pic of your hair. I wanna see the finished product:sad:. Can we get one peek. And please explain the water spritzer.

Last edited:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Ok I'm reading this so carefully and just enjoying every detail:lick: of the products....:lick:at the pics and just knew I would see a pic of your hair. I wanna see the finished product:sad:. Can we get one peek. And please explain the water spritzer.

janeemat
All he did was apply a dab of shampoo on my new growth, spray some water on it with spray bottle and work the product through a section of hair, one at a time.

I'll take a pic and if it comes out good, I'll post it. I just want to warn you that I don't have a thick, full head of hair! :lol: My hair is quite puny, but I love it any way! :lachen:

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
january noir said:
janeemat
All he did was apply a dab of shampoo on my new growth, spray some water on it with spray bottle and work the product through a section of hair, one at a time.

I'll take a pic and if it comes out good, I'll post it. I just want to warn you that I don't have a thick, full head of hair! :lol: My hair is quite puny, but I love it any way! :lachen:

I'm running to Target today. I've been eyeing this shampoo because I love other products in this line (the restorative elixir and the conditioner); but was worried about spending money on yet another shampoo only to have it dry my hair out.

Leslie_C

Just running through to say hey! Gotta catch up on the thread...nothing new here...still bunning it up with stone twists thrown ing the mix here and there. I might need to start moisturizing in the morning and at night bc of the cooler weather...do you think that would be too much manipulation? Have any of you needed to tweek your regimens? My hair it's so chronically dry and porous it needs all the moisture it can get. I was even thinking of deep conditioning twice a week instead of once.

Adding a pic since I want us to start sharing our "everyday hair transitioning edition" pics lol. My latest set of twists...kept them in for 10 days...could have stretched it to yep weeks but I was going out of town and wanted it to look fresh and not like it needed to be redone.

ForumRunner_20121117_164338.jpg

daviine

@LeslieC

I love this pic! You're so beautiful, your hair looks nice and is that your munchkin because he's a doll! Thanks for sharing. Still bunning it up over here. Nothing to see here.:lol:

daviine

Introducing...... Thing 2.

We're getting along a little better these days but Thing 1 and Thing 2 are still running things. When the rest of my hair is moisturized, this is how the front usually looks. I've been judging products based on how this part of my hair comes out.

image-3372453684.jpg

bellebebe

I don't know about yall, but I'm just itching to BC. I did a half chop before I installed my cornrows and boy, I cannot wait to take them down and CHOP!!

havilland

i had an hour long detangle session today...my hair was pissy and tangled and annoyed at me.

i just took my time and kept saying --woosah-- every time i hit a knot. i repeated to myself over and over "you can do this. it may take awhile, but where are you going anyway? you can get through this."

and so i did.

i finally got my hair detangled. put it in a ponytail and had to take a 4 hour break. i am about to aphogee 2 step now.