Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Dayjoy

Old School Member
PS Ladies I think it would be fun to start posting "everyday transitioning hair" pics in this thread. If you are feeling your hair on a certain day-post a pic! It will be fun and it can inspire others (fellow transitioners and those considering transitioning). Lemme know what you think!

I love this idea! :grin:

MissMusic

Yesterday, after taking my crochet braids out:

MissMusic

CandiceC said:
I bought a pack of curlformers and a hook yesterday to try them out. Anyone use them? I wonder what I should use for hold.

I've used them and I used styling foam, Worked well for me

Hey Ladies! I know I'm probably an old-head or something. But, I'm strongly advocating using a light moisturizer under a cream or butter and oil for fall and winter. I used Oyin Handmade's Hair Dew under Shea Moisture's Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Milk and my coconut oil. Can I say moisturized for days (three days to be exact!). Oh, and not to advocate pjism or anything, but I just started using Jessicurl's Deep Conditioning Treatment. It's hair heaven.

Ok. I'm out and back into lurk mode. Keep it up, Ladies!

Rae81

I am so ready to cut my hair. I can't wait for the ease of washing just one texture of hair. But im not quite ready yet

daviine

chrisanddonniesmommy said:
Hey Ladies! I know I'm probably an old-head or something. But, I'm strongly advocating using a light moisturizer under a cream or butter and oil for fall and winter. I used Oyin Handmade's Hair Dew under Shea Moisture's Coconut and Hibiscus Curl Milk and my coconut oil. Can I say moisturized for days (three days to be exact!). Oh, and not to advocate pjism or anything, but I just started using Jessicurl's Deep Conditioning Treatment. It's hair heaven.

Ok. I'm out and back into lurk mode. Keep it up, Ladies!

chrisanddonniesmommy

I have 3 of those products-- did you mix the SM Curl Milk and coconut oil or layer them? Thanks for sharing. I will try this soon.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
well ladies...i am so disappointed today about my new cheap find. i have been usign Suave Coconut as a rinse out condish for a few weeks with success. helps with detangling etc.

well two days ago i used it to co wash thinking that i could substitute it for my Hairveda Amla Cream Rinse when i am running low. NOT!

my scalp is itching like crazy the last two days. OMG.....i haven't itched like this since i stopped relaxing.

the suave worked fine for rinsing it out after applying to my hair only, but rubbing it into my scalp to cowash was not good. i rinsed it all out after cowashing leaving none behind but alas i still itch.

MissMusic

Leslie_C Thank you!!! I will be 76 weeks post Saturday, which is somewhere between 17 and 18 months post. Trust me when I say that I still have plenty of relaxed ends! My goal was two years for my transition, but I may chop at the end of the year, I just do not know.

newbeginnings2010

Hi ladies. I decided to pop in for a quick update. I'm having trouble finding time for hair lately. :nono:

I'm coming up on my 12 month anniversary of transitioning on November 12th and overall...my hair is in a bun and...*please don't let them stone me*...I'm tension blowdrying it every 2 weeks! :perplexed

I'm sorry ladies, but between my DS working full time and going to school full time and DH doing the same, I barely have time to wash my clothes, let alone my hair! If I dont' blowdry it, I have to do some serious styling to ensure that I don't have a rat's nest to deal with on the next wash...which, of course, I don't have time for.

With that said...anyone know where I can get some cute headbands? :yep:

Leslie_C

well ladies...i am so disappointed today about my new cheap find. i have been usign Suave Coconut as a rinse out condish for a few weeks with success. helps with detangling etc.

the suave worked fine for rinsing it out after applying to my hair only, but rubbing it into my scalp to cowash was not good. i rinsed it all out after cowashing leaving none behind but alas i still itch.

@havilland I have the same issue with that conditioner...its moisturizing and works well for detangling, but it makes my scalp itch too as a cowash. Have you tried As I Am Coconut Cowash? I like that stuff for a mid week cowash sometimes....but lately Ive been just washing weekly and skipping the mid week cowash. It just depends...if my hair stops responding to whatever I put on it for moisture and feels dry several hours later, I just go ahead and cowash or wash bc sometimes my hair needs a clean slate to accept moisture again.

@Leslie_C Thank you!!! I will be 76 weeks post Saturday, which is somewhere between 17 and 18 months post. Trust me when I say that I still have plenty of relaxed ends! My goal was two years for my transition, but I may chop at the end of the year, I just do not know.
@MissMusic you will have a ton of hair when you chop! Looks great! Im excited for you!

Hi ladies. I decided to pop in for a quick update. I'm having trouble finding time for hair lately. :nono:

I'm coming up on my 12 month anniversary of transitioning on November 12th and overall...my hair is in a bun and...*please don't let them stone me*...I'm tension blowdrying it every 2 weeks! :perplexed

I'm sorry ladies, but between my DS working full time and going to school full time and DH doing the same, I barely have time to wash my clothes, let alone my hair! If I dont' blowdry it, I have to do some serious styling to ensure that I don't have a rat's nest to deal with on the next wash...which, of course, I don't have time for.

@newbeginnings2010 I can not imagine how busy you are! Just working full time with an infant and not throwing school in the mix or hubby working and going to school is busy enough! I have no idea how you do it! Every 2 weeks doesnt sound so bad as long as you are using a heat protectant and keeping up the moisture. You can get cute headbands for $1 to $1.50 at www.mizoutlet.com and free shipping if you spend $20 -I also collect silk scarves and wear them folded as headbands. I love hair accessories!

What is your routine like now besides the blow drying?

Last edited:

newbeginnings2010

Leslie_C
Routine? What's a routine? :perplexed
I wish I was kidding. I only have one hair product in my cabinet that I really like right now (Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie), and I use it...hmmmm...once per week for moisture? Either that or I use water, oil, and shea butter, which works really well for a few days of moisture for my hair. I just purchased some Hairveda products, which will arrive in a few weeks. I'm hoping they might spur me to find more time to care for my hair.

Leslie_C

@Leslie_C
Routine? What's a routine? :perplexed
I wish I was kidding. I only have one hair product in my cabinet that I really like right now (Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie), and I use it...hmmmm...once per week for moisture? Either that or I use water, oil, and shea butter, which works really well for a few days of moisture for my hair. I just purchased some Hairveda products, which will arrive in a few weeks. I'm hoping they might spur me to find more time to care for my hair.

newbeginnings2010 bahaha Well look on the bright side, your hair is holding up really well and if you are able to retain moisture for a few days at a time thats great! I can barely get away from skipping one day of M&S! My hair is dry dry dry and porous as heck.

newbeginnings2010

newbeginnings2010 bahaha Well look on the bright side, your hair is holding up really well and if you are able to retain moisture for a few days at a time thats great! I can barely get away from skipping one day of M&S! My hair is dry dry dry and porous as heck.

Leslie_C

Yeah, water and oil sealed with shea butter is my BEST friend, which is odd since my hair hates shea butter alone I think the oil acts as a barrier against the shea and allows my hair to hold in more moisture. I concocted this from Chicoro's moisture method. Have you tried anything similar to that?

MystiqueBabe

I am going to BC the back portion of my hair this month along with cutting some pieces of relaxed hair from the front. The back portion I am referring to is basically from my crown to nape and most of the relaxed ends are gone there anyway. I trim according to the moon phases so this is scheduled for Nov.14, which is the last trim of the year until I BC on new years. Hopefully it won't look too weird. I am doing this for the health of my hair because I don't want my natural hair to have splits due to where the relaxed hair broke off at. But in general my natural hair doesn't brake off.

blue_flower

My last texturizer was in March and now I have 2 inches of new growth, which is more defined and courser. I still have different textures on my head: some 4a at my hairline, 3b/3c up front and 3c/4a in the back. Ive recently started using Miss Jessie's Buttercreme and I really like it. This will be my third time going natural and this time I'm just going to gradually trim- no big or mini chops.

The Princess

I know how you feel. Make sure to get a good DC treatment in.

MissMusic

Leslie_C It was really simple. I did this style on dry hair, that I dampened with water only. I put my hair in about 20-25 chunky twists, put perm rods on the ends and rolled the twist all of the way to my scalp. I put on a satin bonnet and let my hair dry overnight. Once dry, I separated the twists and fluffed and fluffed until I achieved the desired look. HTH!

havilland

wash n go after i took out the ponytail....since i have been transitioning i find i look the same all the time.

here is me every day:

AM wet ponytail

DURING DAY dry ponytail

PM Fake wash n go look when i get home

LATE PM bun

bed

:lachen::lachen:

Attachments

• photo(97).jpg
    photo(97).jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 64

The Princess

well two days ago i used it to co wash thinking that i could substitute it for my Hairveda Amla Cream Rinse when i am running low. NOT!

my scalp is itching like crazy the last two days. OMG.....i haven't itched like this since i stopped relaxing.

I tried many times to like Suave conditioners. It just don't agree with my hair. Just make it hard. I use V05 with no issues. Weird. Hopefully your scalp calms down.

The Princess

I went out on a whim and tried Redken all soft supple leave in conditioner and I love it. It made my hair easier to comb through, comb just glided through. Very soft too. Unfortunately the product is less than 8 oz. still and like 15.00. I'm not excited about this. It also airdry soft. Haven't had a product do this to my hair since transitioning.
Anyone know a dupe for this product. It also has protein in it. I tried Giovanni Direct leave in. However I can't use on my hair while wet, make my hair extremely hair.

If this product came in a bigger size I would be cool, but it doesn't.

Last edited:

havilland

I tried many times to like Suave conditioners. It just don't agree with my hair. Just make it hard. I use V05 with no issues. Weird. Hopefully your scalp calms down.

i use Vo5 with no issues either.....that's so weird?

well all i know is my scalp is itching still, though not as bad. tomorrow i am going to shampoo to clarify and do a peppermint hot oil treatment on my scalp.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
41 weeks post as of yesterday.

I am 1 week into my cornrows under my wig and it really breezy considering I only deal with my hair every 2 weeks.

Im about to go see if I can make some whipped shea butter, gotta see if my mom has some shea butter hidden somewhere in here.

SugarRush

Hello ladies,

I hope I can join you guys, I just subscribed. I'm currently a little over 11 months post (I'll be a year nov 26th) and I plan to transition for 2 years. I recently self installed some senegalese twists because my hair was becoming too much of a hassle - dryness, breakage, matting, lack of styling options etc. I plan on washing and conditioning my twists weekly. Can someone please recommend a leave-in/moisturizer while in twists? I was using Giovanni direct before the install but it was just okay. My natural hair is so dry, it's very frustrating. Any other tips will be greatly appreciated.
TIA