Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
K y'all...I went and found a curly wig that I love..... It looks good but how did y'all care for the hair under the wig? Is it similar to a sew in? Did you wwear a cap? And how was your hair underneath?

I have my hair in two cornrows with a wig cap....I Moisturized and sealed.....haven't been in a sew I. For two weeks and I feel like I've been manipulating my hair too much.... But I might dust my ends and co wash and re do my braids underneath my wig so they can let longer

I dont wear a cap bc I MADE the wig on a cap LOL and i braid my hair in no more than 10 braids and slap the wig on LOL. I leave it like that for 2 weeks and start over with a wash process.

I couldn't do the WEN FIg anymore, it made my hair to mushy. However I will always keep a bottle of the WEN 613. That stuff is absolutey great. Its a balance of protein and moisture. It detangles very well . The smell is heavenly and its very thick and rich with good stuff.

I used Wen 613 to cleans, conditioned and used a little as a styling aid for a braid out, awhile back. One on the males kept following me, of course I questioned him, he stated, "DAMN your hair smells so good," Its also a male magnet,

Its overall good.

Oh heck i gotta get me some of that 613 then LOL

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Took my hair down from the braids and doing a wash session, will be braiding it back up for 2 weeks again and throwing my wig back on....

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Back into my braids for another 2 weeks while hiding under my wig before I take down and wash again.

I also started back up taking my Biotin 10mg daily

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Hey ladies! I'm away this week on vacation with no wifi at the hotel, but had to check in on the phone! I miss LHCF. DANG!

I was trying to minimize my packing of hair care products. Planning this trip with all this new growth was stressful! I was worried about the water at the hotel, the humidity, my products acting differently, not bringing the right stuff to tame.....argh!

I packed my leave in, olive oil, hair gel, and three conditioners. LOL

when we arrived, I rushed to the nearest target and bought some honey. I am deep conditioning with the honey now. :)

Wish me luck!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I bought a jar of the Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Cream on Sunday.

I applied it to my new growth while my hair was damp and wow! My hair is really moisturized. I am impressed!

I want to try the Kinky Curly Curling Custard now. :look:

daviine

january noir I have that Cantu cream and I haven't noticed anything amazing about it. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work because I don't want to waste it.

AudraChanell

I'm texturized and haven’t touched-up since June, but I’m still on the fence so to speak. I don’t plan to chop at all so I'll have to learn to manage both textures on my head and I'm okay with that. I'm sure I'll have to be creative in my styling choices, but I’m prepared for that. Right now I have a weave as I decide how I want to proceed before I make any rash decisions…I just needed some time to think.

Leslie_C

Hey my fellow transitioning chicas! :) Same ol same ol here....Im kind of on autopilot other than trying to be extra with moisture with cooler temps coming and I put my hair back in two strand twists wednesday/thursday. Unfortunately they are already pretty fuzzy and I have a dilemma on what to do with them. Ill figure it out tomorrow. I work thursday,friday, saturday 12 hour shifts and Im going out of town for a work trip Sunday for 6 days...so I dont know what to do with it. I may end up cowashing tomorrow....then spend some time thursday and friday night retwisting the perimeter to neaten it up. I weat them up anyway so the middle will be hidden.

Im worried about my trip because Im not sure what I can take on the plane bc Im not checking luggage...so I really have to keep it to a minimum...hence why I want to keep it twisted that week too...my hair stays moisturized pretty easily twisted and it takes less than 5 minutes to do it in the mornings

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
just about 11 months post relaxer and I only have 4-5 inches of new-growth. WTH! My hair needs to grow faster!!

Are you drinking your water and taking a multi-vit. You may just be a slow grower in general so I was just wondering what are you doing extra.

I probably wont get a chance to see my hair to measure it until January because of laziness LOL. I am curious though.:look:

Dayjoy

Old School Member
just about 11 months post relaxer and I only have 4-5 inches of new-growth. WTH! My hair needs to grow faster!!

Well, according to the average you should have 5 1/2 inches so while 4-5 inches is below average, I don't think it makes you a slow grower. It could be worse. :yep:

MsDee14

Are you drinking your water and taking a multi-vit. You may just be a slow grower in general so I was just wondering what are you doing extra.

I probably wont get a chance to see my hair to measure it until January because of laziness LOL. I am curious though.:look:

ZebraPrintLover Giiirl..I only drink water. take a multi, biotin, b-complex and MSM daily, Apply a sulfur Mix to my scalp 3 times weekly and work-out 3-4 times a week!
I'm starting to think my hair just doesn't grow the "average" rate and whatever I do won't change that.
It's okay though. I still have time 1+ years left to transition and my relaxed ends are all still in tact so I don't plan on bcing anytime soon.

Rae81

Hawaiian silly has bought my hair back to life. I wear buns and one side would be shiny and wavy and the other side would be straight and dull looking. I started babying that section and it got better except for one part in the front. Well last night I sprayed it down with Hawaiian silky and put some more on there this morning and I must say it is looking shiny and has a slight wave to it. I am going to keep it up I think that section just needed some extra tlc

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Britt

How is everyone wearing their hair? I took my sew in down last week, and did a twist out. My twist out was really nice the next day - Monday. I've lightly retwisted it at night so it looks ok in the morning. I don't however want to wear a twist out every single day. Not sure if my hair is long enough, but I saw a youtuber do a high bun and she seems to be almost 2 years post relaxer. I will try doing a high bun tomorrow and Friday.

When I wash and deep condition this weekend, I would like to try to figure out something else to do with my hair.

Leslie_C

How is everyone wearing their hair? I took my sew in down last week, and did a twist out. My twist out was really nice the next day - Monday. I've lightly retwisted it at night so it looks ok in the morning. I don't however want to wear a twist out every single day. Not sure if my hair is long enough, but I saw a youtuber do a high bun and she seems to be almost 2 years post relaxer. I will try doing a high bun tomorrow and Friday.

When I wash and deep condition this weekend, I would like to try to figure out something else to do with my hair.

Brittster you can do a high bun if you have shoulder length hair or even a little shorter...just make a high puff and fan the hair around the base--then pin it mushroom/donut style or wrap it and pin it in a circle. It can be neat or messy/whatlever your style.

the link below is exactly how I do my buns and the funny part is I didnt get it from the video lol--I even cut my headbands into a string so I can tighten to my liking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMfPLNOGVdU&feature=relmfu

Britt

@Brittster you can do a high bun if you have shoulder length hair or even a little shorter...just make a high puff and fan the hair around the base--then pin it mushroom/donut style or wrap it and pin it in a circle. It can be neat or messy/whatlever your style.

the link below is exactly how I do my buns and the funny part is I didnt get it from the video lol--I even cut my headbands into a string so I can tighten to my liking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMfPLNOGVdU&feature=relmfu

Leslie_C thank you for putting me on to her. She really makes the best of her transition and finds cute styles. I watched a lot of her vids over the weekend. I'm really trying to find styles that I like that suit me. Cause there are a ton of natural and transitioning styles that I just would not wear eventhough they look good on others. There's just sooo much information out there on natural hair that it's a bit overwhelming. I need some simplistic blogs. When I think of simplicity, I think of Chime. Her routine is pretty simple and straight forward.

I went over to Curly Nikki and tried to read her regimen and it was way tooo exhaustive. NikStar also is pretty simple with her hair and styles and it looks good but we may have different hairtypes. Her styles are more along the lines of what I see for myself or how I could wear my hair. Same with curly nikki. Though I am seeing some cute, practical styles on Youtube. I admire a lot of their creativity. I like MsDanti1 hair too, but she doesn't have up too many hair videos. I feel like I'm trying to find my 'niche' and comfort zone for how I envision wearing my hair. I would also def go to a stylist for straw sets or other styles that I might like. Flexi rods is another style I could see myself wearing with my natural hair when it gets some length. I'd pay a stylist to do it.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Hey. It's Wednesday. Let's see...45 weeks today. Yay. :woot:

I don't know why, but it bothers me when people think if you haven't had a touchup in a long time that now you're natural. Um...relaxer does NOT wash out or wear off. :ohwell:

Leslie_C

Hey. It's Wednesday. Let's see...45 weeks today. Yay. :woot:

I don't know why, but it bothers me when people think if you haven't had a touchup in a long time that now you're natural. Um...relaxer does NOT wash out or wear off. :ohwell:

Dayjoy Me too! And to beat it all, my sister who is supposedly transitioning with me believed that....I was shocked that she really thought that and this is months into it lol. She is a law school graduate and she believed that the relaxer just wore off eventually.....wow. My dad always said she was book smart with no common sense and that is a perfect example LOL.

Leslie_C

@Leslie_C thank you for putting me on to her. She really makes the best of her transition and finds cute styles. I watched a lot of her vids over the weekend. I'm really trying to find styles that I like that suit me. Cause there are a ton of natural and transitioning styles that I just would not wear eventhough they look good on others. There's just sooo much information out there on natural hair that it's a bit overwhelming. I need some simplistic blogs. When I think of simplicity, I think of Chime. Her routine is pretty simple and straight forward.

I went over to Curly Nikki and tried to read her regimen and it was way tooo exhaustive. NikStar also is pretty simple with her hair and styles and it looks good but we may have different hairtypes. Her styles are more along the lines of what I see for myself or how I could wear my hair. Same with curly nikki. Though I am seeing some cute, practical styles on Youtube. I admire a lot of their creativity. I like MsDanti1 hair too, but she doesn't have up too many hair videos. I feel like I'm trying to find my 'niche' and comfort zone for how I envision wearing my hair. I would also def go to a stylist for straw sets or other styles that I might like. Flexi rods is another style I could see myself wearing with my natural hair when it gets some length. I'd pay a stylist to do it.

Brittster I totally get you...not only am I style challenged to begin with, my style is simple. I just want a simple classy look and like you, from time to time Ill get it done by a professional for something different. A twistout or bantu knot out or a bun or simple updo is probably about as far as it goes for me. There is nothing wrong with that in my opinion!

You asked how we are wearing our hair and I forgot to answer that part. 90% of the time Im bunning-high bun or side bun...sometimes Ill do a twist in the front to the side. I also like to do a Grecian style twist parted to the side and Ill do that all the way around or sometimes just the front and when it gets to the back Ill side bun it. Then sometimes I put it in small but not quite mini two strand twists and all I do with that is pin it up various ways and bun that...but its good bc it retains moisture well that way and is very low manipulation bc I dont have to manipulate my hair much to style it for a week or two. Ive had my current set in a week tomorrow--gonna retwist the perimeter to neaten it up and stretch it another week . Sometimes Ill do bantu knot outs or twist n curls and wear that down or in a puff or pinned to one side. Thats pretty much it!

Britt

Leslie_C, oh yeah... I'm kinda style challenged and lack some creativity with the hair styling, so I need simple but cutesy styles. I love the high bun, I'm most def gonna try that out with the tutorial from Kikicouture. Your styles sound cute and simple :yep:

Rae81

Ok so I am thinking that I'm not gonna make it till my hair gets to shoulder length. Now I am going wait till it fits in a ponytail. I'm 15 months post and my curls are really tight and the shrinkage is ridiculous. If I wait till I get to shoulder length I will be transitioning forever lol

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Rae81

I just need something to do with my hair other than I bun and braid outs maybe that is why I am ready to cut.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
ZebraPrintLover Giiirl..I only drink water. take a multi, biotin, b-complex and MSM daily, Apply a sulfur Mix to my scalp 3 times weekly and work-out 3-4 times a week!
I'm starting to think my hair just doesn't grow the "average" rate and whatever I do won't change that.
It's okay though. I still have time 1+ years left to transition and my relaxed ends are all still in tact so I don't plan on bcing anytime soon.

Dang well in that case you're a slow grower. I love all that you do not only for hair but for health purposes.

Hawaiian silly has bought my hair back to life. I wear buns and one side would be shiny and wavy and the other side would be straight and dull looking. I started babying that section and it got better except for one part in the front. Well last night I sprayed it down with Hawaiian silky and put some more on there this morning and I must say it is looking shiny and has a slight wave to it. I am going to keep it up I think that section just needed some extra tlc

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

I love HS 14n1, I will always use this stuff. I spray it on my hair daily and use right after my washes as a leave in.

I am in bi-monthly cornrolls under my 2 different wigs that I made. I am so lazy and too busy with school to be dealing with hair so I keep it simply at the moment.

Britt

Do you guys comb your hair? Or do you make do w/ your fingers and a brush daily? I don't mean wet hair when you wash it. How do you deal with the two textures w/o combing. Last night, I had to wash my hair mid week b/c it felt kinda too greasy and just not clean. So I washed it and put it in a few twists. I will say, my wet hair is pretty easy to comb in the looser areas. However the coarser areas not so much.

Tomorrow I'd like to wear my hair in a big bushy ponytail and I'm wondering if transitioners are supposed to comb their hair out? Do you brush the edges only? Just trying to figure out ways to deal with my hair. I know there is a ton of info out there, but this is def new and unchartered territory.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I had a HORRIBLE TRANSITION DAY yesterday. If I had a box of relaxer at my hotel, last night would have been it for me.

My hair looked horrible in this humidity! I was so upset when I got back to my room last night. All my hair did was frizz up and dry out and look a hot mess all day. Thank goodness for a scrunchie. I was able to pull it back. But it was still ridiculous. I looked like I had played in a sand box all day.

.......no mor words. Me and my hair broke up last night. :(

Luv4hair

I am currently transitioning from texturized to natural. About a month ago I cut off my relaxed ends that I had been holding on to for a year. I could not transition with 3 textures it was way to hard. When I chopped them off that put me back at ear length from SL. My plan is to not cut anymore and just long term transition until I feel comfortable with cutting. My hair journey actually started 4 years ago but with struggles and setbacks. Last year I decided to restart my journey... And this year I decided to transition to natural. My hair is 4a/4b fine textured and I think relaxers kept me from reaching my goals because of my fine strands. My hair is very delicate.

I am now 5 to 6 months post and now I only use all natural products on my hair and I also have started to only finger detangle my hair. My hair seems so much healthier (SEE AV) and with less problems now. I can not wait to be completely natural but right now it is truly a journey getting to know my hair.

Britt

Lawd, I'm giving heavy thought to texlaxing. Idk, idk... I feel like if my texture were a little more uniform this would be easier. My 4b areas are dry, coarse, very very very wiry, hard to comb, the conditioner doesn't seem to penetrate it just sits there looking white. When my hair was relaxed, this area was always more thin and sparse compared to other parts of my hair. I do think some of this hair is scab hair, but idk how long I can wait to find out.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Do you guys comb your hair? Or do you make do w/ your fingers and a brush daily? I don't mean wet hair when you wash it. How do you deal with the two textures w/o combing. Last night, I had to wash my hair mid week b/c it felt kinda too greasy and just not clean. So I washed it and put it in a few twists. I will say, my wet hair is pretty easy to comb in the looser areas. However the coarser areas not so much.

Tomorrow I'd like to wear my hair in a big bushy ponytail and I'm wondering if transitioners are supposed to comb their hair out? Do you brush the edges only? Just trying to figure out ways to deal with my hair. I know there is a ton of info out there, but this is def new and unchartered territory.

Nope, its hiding and I only comb it bi-monthly. I wear cornrolls hidden under a wig so thats how I avoid dealing with both textures. When I was wearing buns I only really comb the outside edges and detangled the whole head once a week.