Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

Rae81

29 weeks post. Still hanging in there.

I got my hair done at ULTA last friday.

I love it. My hair feels really good. I got it blowdried and straightened. Very strong and healthy feeling. I haven’t used any moisturizers, just oil sheen. Still feel very soft. My hair is still straight and and haven't reverted back yet.

She only shampooed once, and used a combination of three condtioners. She used Mizani, Borato, and Redken conditoners, layering each one. She massaged it in and comb it through.
She rinsed and used Redken anti snap leave in conditioner and Smooth down serum-thats it. I won’t buy these products. I will just go back, if I need my hair done.
Overall it was only 35 bucks. Way cool.

Im sure the CG method work, as well as the everyday bunning. I will get my hair done, probally in DEC.

I attempt to upload pics, it keep giving me an error message.

I always wondered if they do a good job at ulta. Maybe I will try them one day

The Princess

Dayjoy said:
44 weeks today. I remember when I first came into this thread. I thought I'd never see this many weeks-- at least not without a lot of tears. I'm pretty happy.

Yeah it seems as if it get easier as time go by.

The Princess

Rae81 said:
I always wondered if they do a good job at ulta. Maybe I will try them one day

Yeah where im at right now. It's not may hair salons. Ethnic ones anyways. So I just gave it a try. I'm glad I did. She did a really good job. Make sure to post your experience when you go.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
How much SAA did you add? I want to make some flaxseed gel too.

@Dayjoy

I wanna know too! I have a bottle of SAA somewhere..
I also would like to know how you compare the flaxseed gel to ECO so let us know what you think about it :)

here is my update.

first up the silk aminos added to Bio Infusion Olive Oil Treatment. (a cheap deep conditioner that i normally do not like much - available at Walgreens)

this is the product i used.
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/silk-amino-acids.html

i used about a 1/2 tsp to 5 ounces of conditioner. i also added about 15 drops of peppermint for my scalp. i dampened my hair. applied the conditioner to damp, not wet, hair. put on a plastic cap and wore it for about an hour....20 minutes under the dryer. i took the cap off and let it cool then massaged my scalp and rinsed the conditioner out. my hair didn't feel much different or seem easier to detangle etc. but once it was air dried it was amazing. first wash n go i ever did that i felt comfortable leaving the house with! my texlaxed ends were nice and didn't seem as see through.

next up...FLAXSEED GEL

i used naptural85's you tube video recipe.

i added one or two drops of Hot Six Oil to the gel. Hot Six contains vitamin E which is a preservative.

i applied the gel to clean,wet hair to put it in a bun. the gel gave my hair shine, a stiff feeling hold. my hair felt frozen. i don't know how else to explain it. the gel is soupy like egg whites. it's hard to figure out how to use it. i didn't like the way it dried on my bun, HOWEVER, when i took the bun out, the hold from the gel on my hair was easily scrunched out. my hair was shiny and not dull at all. the curls popped. i was impressed

i normally use Eco Styler or IC Fantasia gel for my ponytails and buns to slick my hair down (not on my ends). i would continue to use these products for that purpose as they give a much nicer, firm hold, that locks and holds the style in better. the gels don't scrunch out as nicely as the flaxseed though if you are doing a wash n go.

Flaxseed Gel to me is best for a wash n go or a loose style like a twist out BECAUSE it "freezes" your hair in place. it cements the curl and then scrunches out to a nice soft style. PLUS since gel stays on your hair longer, i prefer the antioxidants of flaxseed to the chemicals, albeit "gentle" chemicals, in these gels.

daviine

Today's thoughts: I don't know why I am transitioning. I am too lazy to put in all this work to be natural. I may be bunning for the rest of my life....

Okay now back to my long overdue replies...

daviine i would def recommend you get off that head and shoulders, keracare shampoo and that keracare humecto conditioner.

ugh....that stuff is ripping the moisture right out of your hair! please please please try some sulfate free shampoos or better yet, start using a cleansing conditioner like Hair One or Wen or Vo5 Clarifying conditioner....Vo5 is $.79 at CVS. seriously...that stuff works...you can't do better than less than a dollar.

then try some of the other moisture based products you listed. i bet your hair will soften right up! :)

havilland
I am no longer using the Head & Shoulders. When I was relaxed, I would follow it up with Creme of Nature or Keracare's Hydrating Detangling Shampoo before conditioning. If I remember correctly, I cut that step out to save my hair from the extra manipulation. I guess that wasn't a good idea but I figured a really good moisturizing conditioner would be able to handle the dryness. Too bad I haven't found my really moisturizing conditioner.

I have one more sample of Hair One but I don't recall there being anything noteworthy about it. I will probably try this sample again in the next two weeks. Next time, I will try to just assess how effective it as a cleanser and not for its conditioning properties or whatever miracles Wen and its knockoffs claim to be able to perform.

Yes maaam daviine! Head and shoulders would strip even type 1 hair. Keracare is actually sulfate free now, so if you have the new version that may be ok, but Id switch when the bottle is done. I have the sulfate free one and didnt care for it much either on transitioning hair. Adding coconut oil as a sealant and as a prepoo gave me life! Lots of folks give praise to elasta qp creme conditioning shampoo and its cheap and Im now married to CON Argan Oil shampoo (both sulfate free). Im a fan of cowashing, but Im thinking with the scalp condition it may not be a good idea. My scalp doesnt seem to care for it...but it does well with Cleansing Creams...I really like As I Am Coconut Cowash....but it has to be followed with a rinse...my hair didnt feel as good when I tried to make it double as a cleanser and conditioner.

Also if you are using cheaper rinse outs as deep conditioners add some oil and honey to get more bang for your buck. Have you tried ORS Replenishing Paks? Its kinda my old faithful conditioner Ive used to years and about the only hair product Ive consistently used.

Your hair looks softer than mind and you have a looser curl pattern so I KNOW if my hair is capable of being soft that yours shouldnt be hard to soften up at all. I think you are just shooting yourself in the foot with the harsh shampoo and not using any oils. Im sure if you use oils on your hair and not your scalp it would probably be fine. I dont use oil on my scalp but my hair loves it!

LOC may not work for you, it didnt for me at first, but after I tried a few different combos I found what worked. I use a true oil as my O and butter as my C (if I use a butter, but Ive been using the SMCES as my C). If you try several combos without success, just try simple M&S...moisturize and then seal with a butter or oil (try both and see which works best).

How are you drying and styling your hair? I know I asked you in a message but we might as well make this a group discussion so you can get more suggestions without repeating yourself :)

Leslie_C
I do have the sulfate free Hydrating Detangling Shampoo. I usually use it diluted. I'm probably not going to repurchase that when I am done with it.

I have gone back to using oil as my prepoo (don't think I can do this every wash though). I used to use JBCO before I used the Head & Shoulders. I've been using the coconut oil since you suggested it but I think my hair is still recuperating because I still haven't experienced optimal/maximum moisture levels.

I will look into the Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo (although I may have used it years ago--can't remember) but I think I'm going to move away from shampoo. I'm not really sure if I will be able to pull this off with the serborrheic dermatitis. I don't really have to think about that yet though because I still have shampoo here to use up. My hair seems to respond well to cowashing, but I have to see if I can do it without aggravating my scalp. Haven't done it in a few weeks, so the next time I do it, I'll note whether or not it causes my scalp to itch. I really want to try one of the As I Am cleansing products. I can't remember which one right now.

I've used ORS Replenishing Pak before and I didn't hate it, so I may buy another sample and give it a try again.I will keep working on trying LOC combos to find the right one for me but I think finding a moisturizing condish would help too. I guess the first step was to get rid of that medicated shampoos.

I airdry my hair in a bun. Then I wear my hair in a bun every single day after that. :lol: Exciting, right? Most days, I throw a silk headband or scarf over that.

Here is a lot of my problem. Transitioning itself is a journey. in addition to that, I have the seborrheic dermatitis, which by itself can be challenging. Trying to make both the scalp and hair happy is difficult. But on top of all that, my SD is/was causing my hair to thin. Eek! So, at times my hair journey was focused on different things. One week it would be styling, then after that it might be stopping the itching, and another time it could be on how to get the hair to grow again. Really though right now, I just want my hair to look decent in a bun without having to throw a headband over it OR to hurry up and grow to a length where I can BC already.

I'm indecisive and can get paralyzed by indecision. All of the information available on this and other forums, blogs and YT have me motivated one moment and overwhelmed the next. Then I have an inconsistent regimen due to always shifting my priorities during this journey. I still haven't found the right products. I am into instant gratification. So, if a product doesn't impress me the first time out of the gate, why should I keep using it and waiting 3-4 weeks for it to impress me. I'm not sure if this is the right way to think but its how I am. Throw three kids, a husband , and life in general in the mix, and....:drunk:. I am just a mess in general right now, I can't think straight most days, and my hair seems to be paying for it :spinning: But--I will get it together, step by step. Thanks for your input ladies. :grin:

JJamiah

Some Pics of my after Chopper

First is after washing and towel drying with Tubie Towel :) Love that towel

Second and third are my washing and go, the High puff is after 3 days of wash and go then restyled to a high puff. The wash and go here is yesterdays :) and that was 3 days in :) so my average is 3 day then style for 2 days in a different style :)

Attachments

• naturalhair24.jpg
    naturalhair24.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 72
  • naturalhair25.jpg
    naturalhair25.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 74
  • naturalhair21.jpg
    naturalhair21.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 71

The Princess

Some Pics of my after Chopper

First is after washing and towel drying with Tubie Towel :) Love that towel

Second and third are my washing and go, the High puff is after 3 days of wash and go then restyled to a high puff. The wash and go here is yesterdays :) and that was 3 days in :) so my average is 3 day then style for 2 days in a different style :)

SEXY MAMA...

daviine

This ticker below says I'm 11 months today. My calendar says 48 weeks tomorrow. Can't wait until I'm counting how long I've been natural.

why does my hair insist on being a pain in the butt on my birthday! UGH!!!! i look like a chia pet.

:perplexed

havilland Happy belated birthday!

I'm officially out. I bcd today after 3 and a half months. I'm no good at waiting for anything.:grin:

Congrats! How's it going DDTexlaxed?

ladies, today i tried two things:

1. i added silk aminos to my deep conditioning pre poo. OMG.....my hair is so soft and silky and manageable and wonderful today. i am so glad i tried this. i have plenty of little vials in my cabinet of things i want to try, but i hesitate to just "try" stuff because my hair is temperamental right now and i do not want a setback.

2. i made some flaxseed gel. i will try it tomorrow and let you all know how it works.

here is my update.

first up the silk aminos added to Bio Infusion Olive Oil Treatment. (a cheap deep conditioner that i normally do not like much - available at Walgreens)

this is the product i used.
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/silk-amino-acids.html

i used about a 1/2 tsp to 5 ounces of conditioner. i also added about 15 drops of peppermint for my scalp. i dampened my hair. applied the conditioner to damp, not wet, hair. put on a plastic cap and wore it for about an hour....20 minutes under the dryer. i took the cap off and let it cool then massaged my scalp and rinsed the conditioner out. my hair didn't feel much different or seem easier to detangle etc. but once it was air dried it was amazing. first wash n go i ever did that i felt comfortable leaving the house with! my texlaxed ends were nice and didn't seem as see through.

next up...FLAXSEED GEL

i used naptural85's you tube video recipe.

i added one or two drops of Hot Six Oil to the gel. Hot Six contains vitamin E which is a preservative.

i applied the gel to clean,wet hair to put it in a bun. the gel gave my hair shine, a stiff feeling hold. my hair felt frozen. i don't know how else to explain it. the gel is soupy like egg whites. it's hard to figure out how to use it. i didn't like the way it dried on my bun, HOWEVER, when i took the bun out, the hold from the gel on my hair was easily scrunched out. my hair was shiny and not dull at all. the curls popped. i was impressed

i normally use Eco Styler or IC Fantasia gel for my ponytails and buns to slick my hair down (not on my ends). i would continue to use these products for that purpose as they give a much nicer, firm hold, that locks and holds the style in better. the gels don't scrunch out as nicely as the flaxseed though if you are doing a wash n go.

Flaxseed Gel to me is best for a wash n go or a loose style like a twist out BECAUSE it "freezes" your hair in place. it cements the curl and then scrunches out to a nice soft style. PLUS since gel stays on your hair longer, i prefer the antioxidants of flaxseed to the chemicals, albeit "gentle" chemicals, in these gels.

Thanks so much for this information. I have a lot of conditioners that I'm underwhelmed by. Seriously considering getting some SAA. I want to try some flaxseed gel, especially if it can "freeze" your curls into place. I'll need to make some and play around with it on my new growth. :scratchch:

Last edited:

TokyoReina

I'm 15 months into my transition and I have texture concerns. I still have no idea what my texture really is. It seems like everytime I wash my hair I see...nothing. I see a lot of hair just sitting on my head. Sometimes I'll see some kind of curl, but I was thinking by now I'd have some definite texture. Relaxed ends...obvious texture.

I don't plan to cut soon but it's hard to imagine chopping when I can't envision what it'd look like after.

Britt

I'm 15 months into my transition and I have texture concerns. I still have no idea what my texture really is. It seems like everytime I wash my hair I see...nothing. I see a lot of hair just sitting on my head. Sometimes I'll see some kind of curl, but I was thinking by now I'd have some definite texture. Relaxed ends...obvious texture.

I don't plan to cut soon but it's hard to imagine chopping when I can't envision what it'd look like after.

TokyoReina I appreciate your candor... I think this goes through most transitioners' minds and that's why they say transitioning is also mental, b/c you have to embrace and accept whatever texture is growing out. I know it's frustrating b/c you really have no clue what your hair will look like. I'll be flat out honest and admit this is one of the frustations I have also. I have vastly different hair textures on my head. I've seen people w/ different textures on their head, but mine is pretty vast. My perimeter really has no texture. It's wirery, coarse, dry and the top of my head and other areas have waves that are looser, and in some areas I might have waves that are a little tighter, but a wave/curl nonetheless.
How long have you been w/o a relaxer?
Also, one observation I've made within the past 2 years that I've given thought to transitioning and looking at other naturals, their hair early on doesn't really at all resemble the hair they have when they are 2 + year w/o chemicals. I reached out to a blogger and b/c she had up a few pics of her transitioning hair and it just looked like fried/dry relaxed hair. Her hair looks nothing at all like her natural hair. Even when she first big chopped, her hair looks different than what it is now. Sometimes as natural hair gets longer it has more hang and definition to it. Everyone's hair is so different, you just have no idea what you'll end up with or how the textures will all come together.

@TokyoReina @Brittster

I'm realizing that most of the perimeter of my hair is cottony and wiry.

It reminds me of this woman's hair:

The front part/ bang area is a bit different in that it has a very very small curl that looks like a Z when you pull it. There are a couple other spots in my hair, such as the top, that behave the same way. Next time I wash my hair I'll examine to see what the rest of my hair is doing.

After I big chop I'm interested in seeing how my hair does when I attempt braid outs and twist outs.

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My camera broke. I'm hoping to get my hubby to take a digital pic of my hair tomorrow. I have a new regimen, now. I no longer will be a slave to gel again. Right now, I have a TWA. I just spritz with water, add my Knot today conditioner, and then a small drop of my Leklair olive cholesterol. This defines my curls better than Kinky curl custard! I never thought it possible. I can also reactivate with a slight spritz of water and shake my head. My twa journey is going to be fun this time. I know what products will work for me and I will no longer be a PJ. :yep:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Hi Ladies,

I am finally taking the step to transition and I want to try to do without a BC. I have had the conversation with my hair dresser and he's going to be my partner in my journey and if I can't hang, he says I have options (texlax, etc.)

I have very fine/thin hair and I really don't think I'm going to have issues with detangling. My biggest fear is because my hair grows so slowly and it's so thin that it may not appeal to me. I'm in my mid-50s and henna and indigo on a regular basis. I have been relaxed for so long I don't know if I'm 4a, b or c. I have a feeling I have a combination of all 3 or even more hair types.

I've never been a fan of straight hair anyway and love textured looks and styles so I have that in my favor.

I know I will be wearing lots of wigs and phony ponys (I'm wearing one now) so I hope it will be enough to alleviate boredom or frustration. My SO is cool with it (but he's cool with pretty much all my decisions), so now it's up to me.

Wish me luck! As in my current siggy, it's been 4 months an a few days since my last relaxer.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Constantly getting the urge to BC but I know that I am not ready yet. I put some regular conditioner in my hair last night and plait it up. My NG came out soft and nice this morning. Just wanted to try something new. I'm planning to wash this weekend anyway.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
january noir :wave: This is my favorite place outside of the Makeup and Nail forums. It'll be great to see you over here too. There are some really nice, helpful ladies in this thread. You'll love it, and they will make your transition so much easier. I know they've helped me a lot. :yep:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
january noir :wave: This is my favorite place outside of the Makeup and Nail forums. It'll be great to see you over here too. There are some really nice, helpful ladies in this thread. You'll love it, and they will make your transition so much easier. I know they've helped me a lot. :yep:

Hey Dayjoy ! :wave:
Nice to see my sister in here! :hug2: I'm really looking forward to this.
I've been wanting to transition for a while but now I've finally prepared myself mentally, so it's now or never. I hope I can hang because I know that 4 months isn't anything :lol:

Thanks @CandiceC!
I'm happy to be here! I see from your siggy that you are a slow grower too.
I'll be looking up to you and following your journey with keen interest :yep:

Cool!

I stopped taking biotin for a couple months, but just started back up. I hope it'll jump start something other than my eyebrows growing fast. Lol.

daviine

CandiceC said:
Cool!

I stopped taking biotin for a couple months, but just started back up. I hope it'll jump start something other than my eyebrows growing fast. Lol.

Lol CandiceC How much biotin are you taking? I'm taking 3,000 mcg or whatever the unit is.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I'm early in the game and even at 4 months I have to do a Wen or Wen 613 wash every 2-3 days and now that I started going to the fitness center 5-6 days a week, I may have to do it every 1-2 days.

I have a gallon of Wen (have been a Wen user for the past several years) and will be using this to help me transition. I actually got the idea to go for it remembering a video Chaz Dean had on YouTube that African American women didn't need relaxers and that his product would help define our curls and coils, moisturize and shine natural hair.

I also have been loving Agadir Argan Oil Daily Moisturizing Conditioner too.
It scents my hair the way I like it and it makes my hair really manageable.

I use the Agadir Argan Oil Hair Treatment with it. :love:

K y'all...I went and found a curly wig that I love..... It looks good but how did y'all care for the hair under the wig? Is it similar to a sew in? Did you wwear a cap? And how was your hair underneath?

I have my hair in two cornrows with a wig cap....I Moisturized and sealed.....haven't been in a sew I. For two weeks and I feel like I've been manipulating my hair too much.... But I might dust my ends and co wash and re do my braids underneath my wig so they can let longer

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Hey Dayjoy ! :wave:
Nice to see my sister in here! :hug2: I'm really looking forward to this.
I've been wanting to transition for a while but now I've finally prepared myself mentally, so it's now or never. I hope I can hang because I know that 4 Gmonths isn't anythinge :lol:

I disagree! You're already past the point where a lot of people have already given up. :yep:

K y'all...I went and found a curly wig that I love..... It looks good but how did y'all care for the hair under the wig? Is it similar to a sew in? Did you wwear a cap? And how was your hair underneath?

I have my hair in two cornrows with a wig cap....I Moisturized and sealed.....haven't been in a sew I. For two weeks and I feel like I've been manipulating my hair too much.... But I might dust my ends and co wash and re do my braids underneath my wig so they can let longer

AXtremeTakeover

I haven't been wearing wigs long- just for a few weeks, but I definitely wear a cap! I've got my hair in four cornrows and two braids in the very back. I moisturize my hair the way it is almost every day. I need to make it a daily thing.

I took a week break to give my scalp time to breathe. I've been wearing a knit cap in different colors that I purchased from the beauty supply store. I pull it back enough to expose some of the front of my hair and to get used to my texture. Someone might think I'm all natural looking at me in my knit caps.

The Princess

I want a wig, however I can't find any that fits me. Im glad you found one you like. It should help you with your journey.

JJamiah

I'm early in the game and even at 4 months I have to do a Wen or Wen 613 wash every 2-3 days and now that I started going to the fitness center 5-6 days a week, I may have to do it every 1-2 days.

I have a gallon of Wen (have been a Wen user for the past several years) and will be using this to help me transition. I actually got the idea to go for it remembering a video Chaz Dean had on YouTube that African American women didn't need relaxers and that his product would help define our curls and coils, moisturize and shine natural hair.

I also have been loving Agadir Argan Oil Daily Moisturizing Conditioner too.
It scents my hair the way I like it and it makes my hair really manageable.

I use the Agadir Argan Oil Hair Treatment with it. :love:

Believe it or not Chaz inspired me too! I was like he is right.... I don't wear my hair out anywho..... His products keeps my hair soft and happy!

The Princess

Believe it or not Chaz inspired me too! I was like he is right.... I don't wear my hair out anywho..... His products keeps my hair soft and happy!

I couldn't do the WEN FIg anymore, it made my hair to mushy. However I will always keep a bottle of the WEN 613. That stuff is absolutey great. Its a balance of protein and moisture. It detangles very well . The smell is heavenly and its very thick and rich with good stuff.

I used Wen 613 to cleans, conditioned and used a little as a styling aid for a braid out, awhile back. One on the males kept following me, of course I questioned him, he stated, "DAMN your hair smells so good," Its also a male magnet,

Its overall good.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Ladies, I'm out of the thread. I'm a new natural :grin:and I love it! It was not planned - my mom was messing about with my hair and she said you might as well cut off these scraggly ends (the processed ends).

I went to the mirror and thought this is just ridiculous, drenched my in conditioner, got my hair scissors and cut off the ends. I'm left with a head full of thick, lush hair after 14 months. Will post pics later. So much for my 36 month transition:ohwell:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Ladies, I'm out of the thread. I'm a new natural :grin:and I love it! It was not planned - my mom was messing about with my hair and she said you might as well cut off these scraggly ends (the processed ends).

I went to the mirror and thought this is just ridiculous, drenched my in conditioner, got my hair scissors and cut off the ends. I'm left with a head full of thick, lush hair after 14 months. Will post pics later. So much for my 36 month transition:ohwell:

Congrats to you!