Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

mimi0410

I have not been on in forever...but I wanted to check in and try to post pics. Ive completed my transition. These pics are from June. I transitioned w/the help of weaves. I would cut a few inches off after taking down each install. My last texlax was August 2009. I started wearing weaves May 2010. I hate that Im wearing a black shirt in this pic...but my hair reached midback.

Attachments

• blownout.JPG
    blownout.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 79
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 75
  • pressed.JPG
    pressed.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 89

MissMusic

I'm considering big chopping right now........I watched some videos of people at 16 months natural and took down some mini braids and changed my mind. I really want to make it to two years, but its gonna be difficult.

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I have not been on in forever...but I wanted to check in and try to post pics. Ive completed my transition. These pics are from June. I transitioned w/the help of weaves. I would cut a few inches off after taking down each install. My last texlax was August 2009. I started wearing weaves May 2010. I hate that Im wearing a black shirt in this pic...but my hair reached midback.

mimi0410

Girl, why ya making me do the math? :perplexed So you were 34 months post when you bc'd in these pics?

Your hair looks so healthy and beautiful. Awesome job! :clapping:

karenjoe

16 weeks I blow dry
I hate the way my hair puff up after I work out or sweat.....
I'm going 7 mos.... if I can...... that's it:grin:

Ashawn Arraine

@Leslie_C I am sorry I have been away so long (2 weeks into September) Thank you so much for the compliment. He has stopped saying ugly things but he has not yet said I like you hair like that either.

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Just co washed since I didn't feel like spending too much time on my hair today. But...

I bc'ed a part of my hair where the straightened ends kept breaking. It's a part of my crown that has always reacted like that. So in that part of my head, I'm all natural :) My hair is always in a protective style anyway so it doesn't matter since I don't wear straight styles.

Can't wait for the rest of my head to follow suit. When my hair was full of conditioner today, I could see the line of demarcation easily and had to talk myself out of BCing. All in good time...

GeorginaSparks

I BC'ed today. Last relaxer was sometime in February or March:

My stylist took out my weave, cut the relaxed ends and installed the weave back. She and another client kept asking me if i was sure and saying how brave i was and i was like meh just cut it or ill do it myself. I was just over the relaxed ends. This is after my hair was air-dried with no product in.

not long enough to put in a ponytail but ample length to corn row.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am DCing right now. Once I am done I will try to cornrow my hair and leave it up for at least a week while I wear my new wig I made yesterday.

mimi0410

@mimi0410

Girl, why ya making me do the math? :perplexed So you were 34 months post when you bc'd in these pics?

Your hair looks so healthy and beautiful. Awesome job! :clapping:

NJoy Thank you!

I am so sorry---I should have been more clear :yep: I never did a BC per se. I was 9months post my last texlax and decided I couldnt do it anymore so I weaved it up and I wore weaves (beginning May of 2010)the entire time. These photos are from April 2010, I had just had a good amount of the chemical cut out in these pics. Every other install I would cut a few inches off. Honestly I have been chemical free for at least a year. I was pregnant last year and did not want the stress of trying to deal w/hair. So I opted to keep the weave in, probably got a bit hooked on the weave :ohwell:. This was my second attempt at transitioning. The first attempt lasted 13months and I fell vicitim--I texlaxed. This time around I was determined to see it through, and for me weaving it up was the best way. I wore each weave for a max 10 weeks, upon taking each install down, my stylist would do a deep conditioning treatment as well as a steam treatment. As a I mentioned before she would cut a few inches off every other install.

Attachments

• DSC02121-vi.jpg
    DSC02121-vi.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC02155-vi.jpg
    DSC02155-vi.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC02220-vi.jpg
    DSC02220-vi.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i'm at 63 weeks.....1 years and a 2months and 2 weeks. :)

still no intention of cutting.

i have been wearing ponytails every day....gave up on styling perse. i have too much new growth to even bother.

i tried Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz today to refresh my ponytail and attempt to get 2nd day hair. i was surprised at how nice the curls came out. like all KC products i have to figure out how to make it work best for me. the gel like product dries real crunchy, so i had to scrunch it out.

someone asked me why don't i just cut the relaxer off...

my answer --because i can transition with my hair staying at at BSL for 2-3 years because i keep gradually trimming my ends OR i can cut all my hair off. deal with shorter, in between length hair and WAIT 3 years for it to grow BACK to BSL where i started....i would rather just wait it out and have some length to work with. but that's just me.

MissMusic

I took those mini braids out cause I just wan't feeling them. Put my hair into a high bun today, and am really feeling it, so I will just bun until I get more extensions put in.

daviine

Thank goodness for this ticker and Instagram. I'm just ready to slap a relaxer in my hair (okay not really slap :lol:) but I have come so far. I know I will regret it and I don;t want to waste 10 months+.

I hate when I come across old pictures of my relaxed hair. Then the next time I look in the mirror, I'm like :nono:.

GeorginaSparks

Thank goodness for this ticker and Instagram. I'm just ready to slap a relaxer in my hair (okay not really slap :lol:) but I have come so far. I know I will regret it and I don;t want to waste 10 months+.

I hate when I come across old pictures of my relaxed hair. Then the next time I look in the mirror, I'm like :nono:.

daviine whats on instagram?

Leslie_C

I BC'ed today. Last relaxer was sometime in February or March:

My stylist took out my weave, cut the relaxed ends and installed the weave back. She and another client kept asking me if i was sure and saying how brave i was and i was like meh just cut it or ill do it myself. I was just over the relaxed ends. This is after my hair was air-dried with no product in.

not long enough to put in a ponytail but ample length to corn row.

shockolate congrats on your BC...my last relaxer was at the beginning of february so we were about the same amount of time post relaxer. Your hair looks really soft and fluffy and looks like a good amount of growth. How long do you think it will be before you rock your natural hair?

daviine, I know what you mean, my relaxed/texlaxed hair at its prime was pretty nice and I miss it, but the way I see it that hair is gone and even if I relaxed now it wouldnt be the same head of hair anyway bc I had suffered some damage before transitioning, then I did a pretty major chop to get rid of thin ends, and even with optimal haircare there is going to be some demarcation line breakage....so even if I hypothetically did give in and relax or texlax, Im fairly certain I wouldnt be happy with the outcome lol. So I might as well ride it out and on the other side of the rainbow will be a head full of healthy, natural hair. Its the limbo period that is hard.

Im also getting excited that I seem to be getting hair that is starting to clump into those penspring curls in certain areas. Pretty cool.

I took those mini braids out cause I just wan't feeling them. Put my hair into a high bun today, and am really feeling it, so I will just bun until I get more extensions put in.

MissMusic, loving the bun!

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am DCing right now. Once I am done I will try to cornrow my hair and leave it up for at least a week while I wear my new wig I made yesterday.

Made my new wig and will remake the other one sometime this weekend. I will post pics from my phone.....

I will be taking my hair down every 2 weeks to wash, DC, and rebraid.

I do spray my hair 2x daily with my spray moisturizer and seal with GSO or coconut. I will be applying my JBCO to my scalp.

I will be in and out of here checking on yall, but school is getting hectic so this is the only way for me to keep my hair on my head until I graduate in Decemeber.

I'm 40 weeks post today.

I had kinky twists installed Saturday and it was a major FAILURE! :nono: They were really cute but the synthetic hair had my scalp itching and skin crawling at 4 a.m. Monday. I had to stay home and take them out. This was after washing the twists, dunking my hair/head in a bucket of ACV/water mix, doing a rinse, putting oil on my scalp, taking benadryll pills. I really tried yall. I know I probably wouldn't have had this problem if I had soaked the hair beforehand, but I'll just chalk this up to a lesson learned. I hadn't had this issue before, but maybe my scalp is more sensitive because I've been relaxer free since December and I'm more selective about what I put on my scalp nowadays.

I went out yesterday evening and got two wigs. I've only worn a partial wig before on a vacation. I'm sitting at work and got a couple compliments on it. I told my coworkers (white) what happened. Of course they likely didn't fully understand, but I'm sure they understood words- synthetic hair, allergic reaction, itchy scalp, wig. :lol:

I could have just pulled my hair back into a bun, but I was tired of that. I'm also in a wedding Saturday so I wanted to try out wigs to choose for that. I don't want to straighten my hair.

I've definitely realized that braid outs and twist outs yield different results for me. With twist outs, I get voluminous, big hair with some curl definition; whereas, braid outs give me a lot of curl definition and little volume. Also, braid outs remind me of how fine my hair is.

Anyone seeing the same results? Or, is it the opposite?

daviine

shockolate said:
daviine whats on instagram?

shockolate

I follow natural people on Instagram. So when they post their pics, I use that as my daily inspiration to keep going. It's like Twitter but for posting pics.

I'm not finished researching so I only have a few. You can put #naturalhair, #transitioning, and different variations of these words. A good start would be to follow "naturalhairdaily". They feature several naturalistas a day. From there, you will find others.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Welp ladies. I think I'm gonna hop off this train and BC tonight. :nervous2:

I was gonna do it earlier today but, hubby was sweating me and making me all nervous. As if I'm not nervous enough already. :rolleyes:

So. Here I go. Geronimooooooooo.......!!!!

Oh, and I'm gonna try to video tape it...just in case it may be useful to someone else.

GeorginaSparks

shockolate congrats on your BC...my last relaxer was at the beginning of february so we were about the same amount of time post relaxer. Your hair looks really soft and fluffy and looks like a good amount of growth. How long do you think it will be before you rock your natural hair?
Thanks. Hopefully in the next few months ill be able to put it in a ponytail and ill be rocking my bun. When its much longer hopefully in the next year, i can wear twist outs and braid outs :grin:

Sade18

After putting it off for over two months, I finally got around to clarifying my hair. I didn't mean to go that long. I usually clarify about once a month to get rid of build up, but I've been too lazy to get the ACV (I no longer use shampoos). So I kept on co-washing.

Over time I noticed a difference in how my new growth acted. It was more tightly shrunken, less defined and unable to retain moisture as well. I'm pretty sure that ya'll know that less moisture = difficult new growth. So I figured it was time that I stop being lazy.

I will say that clarifying with my ACV mix last night was the best thing I could've done for my new growth. I noticed more defined curls, less shrunken and more manageable new growth. Most importantly, my hair feels super moisturized and I did nothing but rinse with ACV. No conditioner or anything!!

So for those having issues with their new growth, I would say that maybe product build up is causing an issue so your new growth is rebelling as a result.

I hope everyone's transition is going well!!!

Rae81

My braid out today

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120919_070659.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120919_070659.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 40