Fuzzy Braids

Lei*Lei

Hi ladies:wave:

One of the only hairstyle that i can actually do is braids in the front and a bun/phony pony in the back. I do my own cornrows and they look good for about 5 minutes. I don't know why, but they start to frizz and fag before i'm even done all the braiding!! In about 2 days it just looks downright busted and messy so i either just leave it or try and redo some of them.

So, my question is...does anyone know how to make braids last longer? I don't make them too tight but they are not too loose either. My hair is natural so i don't know if that is the reason why. Maybe i should use some gel?

TIA

mamauv2

What are you using on your hair before you braid? When I braid my DD hair, I moisturize each section as I braid then put oil on my fingers and run it down the length of the hair while braiding. Her braids stay nice and neat for at least a week and she can get a good 10-14 day wear if I do them small enough. She's got thick 4a hair.

Mizani_Mrs

you don't need a gel. but you definitely need a styling foam to give it a hold. try to use a styling foam that doesnt contain alcohol. like paul mitchell or joico, or im sure there are brands u can find in a BSS.

Lei*Lei

All i have been using is a bit of moisturizer and thats all. I am going to try the oil and the styling foam.

Thanks!!

Nonie

Also, do you tie your hair up at night? I remember when I was a kid, my mom would cornrow my hair and have me tie it up every night. Even when the cornrows would looks messy, tying them up would flatten the flyaways making it look neat till she had time to redo them. Of course back then we used grease. Now I don't use anything but tying them up does help keep them looking good. If I have big cornrows, I brush any flyaways before tying the scarf and that helps give them a look of being newly done. I like to baggy so my "scarf" these days is Saran wrap.

sheba1

Ah, I just popped in to say I feel your pain. My sister used to be in charge of maintaining my braided tresses when I was a girl. She complained constantly that my hair would, "crawl" out of the braid and there was just no keeping it, she said! She would pull and tug and I swear that every single week she seemed to just braid it tighter and tighter to try to make it stay. Anyhow, it's been many years since those days and the only thing that keeps my hair from fuzzing when I braid it is added synthetic hair that's been treated to remove the alkaline base. I'm happy to try the alcohol free foam, too! I'll keep watching this thread for good ideas. Good luck!