Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread

daviine

Hey CandiceC!

I'm on page 73 now of this thread and I feel like I'm never going to catch up.

I have one question that is puzzling me. How are you guys "bunning"? What do you mean by "bunning"? Are you just putting your hair in a ponytail? How is your hair not poofy? Also, is it okay to brush back the new growth? In the beginning I was doing this often but wasn't sure if it was a no-no or not. Then I started doing braidouts but after experiencing the breakage I did this week, I have decided to first try to try to get myself into some type of routine.

I need to make sure that I have found the correct combo of products to maximize moisture levels before I manipulate my hair everyday with the braidouts. Until then, I'd like to learn more about bunning. I did try to watch some videos but I'll take all the info I can get.

So, if ponytails/ buns are indeed possible...please share with me your methods (or the posts/threads/tutorials that you found most helpful) for getting decent looking buns. Thanks.

I think I have type 4 hair if that matters.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
For me-----to bun I put my hair in a pony tail soaking wet. Moisturize. Seal with oil or castor oil jelly And then I braid it up. Then I twist it into a bun and clip it. When o have them I use fake ponytails........(in response to below)....

Hey CandiceC!

I have one question that is puzzling me. How are you guys "bunning"? What do you mean by "bunning"? Are you just putting your hair in a ponytail? How is your hair not poofy? Also, is it okay to brush back the new growth? In the beginning I was doing this often but wasn't sure if it was a no-no or not. Then I started doing braidouts but after experiencing the breakage I did this week, I have decided to first try to try to get myself into some type of routine.

I need to make sure that I have found the correct combo of products to maximize moisture levels before I manipulate my hair everyday with the braidouts. Until then, I'd like to learn more about bunning. I did try to watch some videos but I'll take all the info I can get.

So, if ponytails/ buns are indeed possible...please share with me your methods (or the posts/threads/tutorials that you found most helpful) for getting decent looking buns. Thanks.

Hey CandiceC!

For me-----to bun I put my hair in a pony tail soaking wet. Moisturize. Seal with oil or castor oil jelly And then I braid it up. Then I twist it into a bun and clip it. When o have them I use fake ponytails........(in response to below)....

I agree about wet bunning/ponytail. I did it last night for the first time in a loooong time and it worked so well. I washed and conditioned my hair and then used some coconut oil. I then applied Ecostyler gel to my hair (edges, top and sides). I brushed it back a bit with a medium soft brush and tied it down with a scarf. I figure it was okay to brush it since it's only occasionally.

It worked well. My edges don't respond to the ecostyler gel until my hair is wet.

After I took the scarf off I smoothed my hair with some more coconut oil. I haven't bunned my ponytail yet. It's just kinda chilling right now. Lol. I'm just glad I finally got my hair to lay down with this new growth. I hope it continues to work.

MaryJane3000

I have a sew in now and I'm thinking about getting a BKT treatment on my leave out. I dont want to continuously use heat on my leave out and damage the natural texture. But I'm weary of the chemicals. Has anyone done this before?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a really good flat iron?

Gemini350z

Thank you so much for this.!!!

@GEMINI35oz here is some info I copied in 2010 that helped me. The original poster was on kiss. I forget her name. I don't use all the tips but this helped me alot. I used to stretch 10-12 months. These Stretching rules can be applied to transitioning as well. The point is to deal with the two textures successfully. I never had any breakage the entire 5 years I have been doing long stretches. (if the original poster of this is here, thank u! And please take credit for this!)

STRETCHING RULES--
I decided to repost this (originally in my blog and 6 month stretching group) in the "Stretchers Help Discussion" forum because I see a lot of ladies here are still having difficulties stretching. I feel for them because I have been in their shoes. Just wanted to tell what I've learned in hopes of helping at least one person. HHJ!
The first time I did this 6th month stretch thing I struggled after I hit that 4th month ( note: I'm a 4A hair type) mark so I promised myself I would get to the bottom of my issues once and for all this time around.
My number one problem was itchiness. Yes, my scalp is sensitive to my own natural hair. This does not go away until I have a significant amount of new growth. I knew this was coming so I went before hand and purchased a bottle of peppermint oil.
So rule #1: Calm the itch with oil, not fingernails! Mix ten drops of peppermint oil with a favorite hair oil (mine is coconut) for itches! Best applied after hair has been freshly shampooed. Cools the scalp like nobody's business!!!
My second issue is combing out two different textures of hair after a good shampoo. Or at least the first time around it was too textures. Now that I am transitioning to texlaxed it's 3 textures. You know the deal. Dryness. Breakage from the slightest pull of the comb. Tangling. So here is how I deal with that.
Rule #2: Deep condition on dry hair. That's right. Get a big tub of the thickest, most moisturizing, deep conditioner you can find. Apply to dry hair. Cover with plastic cap (or plastic wrap. I do both), let sit 45 mins. or sit under the dryer for 15 mins.THEN shampoo out. That's right. Shampoo after.
Rule #3: Scrub that scalp, not the hair. On days that I don't deep condition, I put hair in braids, get in the shower and shampoo focusing only on the scalp. Rinse. Unbraid each braid & apply conditioner to the hair, one by one. Then...
Rule #4: Comb hair out UNDER the running water. Then ponytail, & braid UNDER the running water. Can't say this enough because every time I skip this step I'm in a world of trouble. I ALWAYS have to use the force of the water running thru my hair to aide me in combing it out.
Rule #5: Must have a good leave-in conditioner. It's a small rule for me but helps. I apply plain old VO5 conditioner to my braids and let air dry 75%.
Rule #6: Conditioner is your bff! Now this is a new rule! After reaching 4 months post I switch out my VO5 conditioner for a much, MUCH thicker one for my new growth. When my hair is 75% dry apply a thick MOISTURIZING (not protein) conditioner to the new growth and seal with a favorite oil.
THATS RIGHT! I LEAVE CONDITIONER IN MY HAIR! Let me explain. Now I do this 2 ways:
6a) I use a quarter size amount of Motions on each section of hair, working it in good before detangling a second time with a wide tooth comb. I seal with oil, then comb thu with a fine tooth comb (Not too fine. If I feel it tugging on my hair the comb is too fine) to loosen the natural wave pattern.
6b) I mix Shea Butter with a thick deep conditioner (About 4 tbsp. Shea to 8 tbsp. deep conditioner. A tsp of honey for preservative, & a tsp of my favorite oils). Apply that (do my combing method: see 6a) and keep it moving.
*Special 6c note for natural folks, folks going natural, or people with kids that have natural hair*: I have found that applying deep conditioner (not too heavily) after you shampoo, sitting under a dryer (or letting it sit 45 mins.) then styling your hair WITH the conditioner STILL in the hair can be very helpful. Just seal with oil. This helps comb thru courser hair textures with ease.

NOTE: I only apply this thick conditioner to the new growth. See rule number 7 for the rest!

Rule #7: Low manipulation is the key to happiness. I have developed this thing for putting my hair in 2 donut buns and leaving it there until my next wash. I place my hair in two ponytails after doing rules 1-5. I apply VO5 conditioner. Comb thru with a wide tooth combs (starting at the ends and working my way up).
Then I seal with oil. My favorite oil mixture for my ends is 60% Coconut oil, 30% Jojoba oil, 10% Castor oil. I have fine hair strands so this works for me. *Someone with thicker hair I'd recommend reducing the Coconut oil and upping the Jojoba and Castor oil percentage significantly*.
I comb the hair with a finer toothed comb, then twist it round into a donut bun, laying the ends flat against my hair and pinning the bulk of the hair over them. I ALWAYS do this when my hair is damp. If the hair dries too quickly I mist it again. With the slightly damp ( NOT WET) and in a bun the moisture stays locked in for a day or two.
Rule #8: Keep those edges looking tight. If my edges feels a little dry by the time I finish then I mist them again, then apply a satin scarf. I tell you, 20 mins. in a satin scarf is all I need to have a nice sleek look. Of course I scarf overnight too.
Rule #9: Right amount of protein to balance all that moisture! Protein treatment every 4-6 weeks. I can get moisture overload a bit due to my fine hair strands. It also helps strengthen that line of demarcation. I often follow a protein treatment with a moisturizing one.
Rule #10: Have fun with your hair on the weekends but don't force it to do something it doesn't want to do. I have rollerset my hair (often a ponytail set do to new growth), and blew out the roots once in a while for a straight look but keeping a straight look can be drying when you have a lot of new growth. I never have my hair straight more than 4 days. Actually this rule should be called, "Moisture is more important than style." It is more important that my hair maintain the proper moisture balance, than maintain a straight look. This leads me to rule number 11.
Rule #11: Water is my friend, even in the winter time. I wash (or at least rinse with conditioner) my hair every 4 days in winter, and 3 days in summer. Why? This helps me maintain a proper moisture balance in my hair strands, and keeps my scalp happy. When I went from washing my hair every 7 days to every 3-4 days 50% of my issues went away. One very big one I had for years was dry flaky scalp. This went away after just 2 weeks of doing this. And yes I use a VERY moisturizing shampoo. I also rinse (not wash) from time to time with VO5 conditioner before I hit my 4th month post.
Those are my rules for stretching that chemical process. I hope this helps someone out there struggling because I sure wish I knew it last year. Heck, I wish I knew it ten years ago.
HHJ!

Meemee6223

I am back and forth during my transition. One week I feel like I'm making great progress, the next week my hair is so tangled I seriously consider chopping it all off! I have no intentions of relaxing but transitioning with hair as course as mine is difficult.

I'm about 7 months post and I don't know what to do with my hair. I also noticed that all the relaxed hair on the crown of my head broke off! Yeah, well I guess I would have cut it off at some point anyway... :cry:

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Judwill07

Currently 81 weeks post. The hotter it gets outside the more I want to just cut the permed ends off. I cut the perm off a small section in the front and think I may be able to try some wash and goes. I've transitioned for so long and kinda feel a strang attachment to my permed ends. I still trim every couple of months, only on the full moons (I use the Morrocco method for hair trims). Since I've been doing this, my hair seems to be growing better/healthier. Will add pics later.

https://morroccomethod.com/lunar-hair-chart

daviine

I've "discovered" since I have far more relaxed hair than natural, I must continue my relaxed hair regimen. :sad: I've purchased soooo many natural hair products that Whole Foods should be sending me a thank you card.

I know this is old but this is exactly how I'm feeling. It seems as though its not yet time to bust out the aloe vera juice and all the other stuff.

I look forward to following your posts/progress up into the present. :drunk:

WriterGirl

Meemee6223

Hang in there :bighug: I have coarse hair too. I know the feeling. My sides were the first to break off since I used to wrap my hair a lot. So it's a process for sure.

I am back and forth during my transition. One week I feel like I'm making great progress, the next week my hair is so tangled I seriously consider chopping it all off! I have no intentions of relaxing but transitioning with hair as course as mine is difficult.

I'm about 7 months post and I don't know what to do with my hair. I also noticed that all the relaxed hair on the crown of my head broke off! Yeah, well I guess I would have cut it off at some point anyway... :cry:

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Hang in there! Breakage is inevitable, though, no matter what you do. Trim as you go so that it's not as shocking (the breakage).

Also, expect the hair moodiness. Sometimes, my hair is a good girl and sometimes she's a nasty diva! :lol:

Gemini350z

Wow- You were spot on about the dc on dry hair, and then shampoo with the conditioner still in. It was so moisturizing. Also detangling while under water is the best!

Meemee6223

WriterGirl said:
Meemee6223

Hang in there :bighug: I have coarse hair too. I know the feeling. My sides were the first to break off since I used to wrap my hair a lot. So it's a process for sure.

WriterGirl chrisanddonniesmommy

It means a lot to hear from others who are going through or have been through what I'm going through. People in my world don't understand!

So, my problem is washing my hair. I wish I could co wash because that makes my hair much more manageable but my scalp won't tolerate it. I have to shampoo or my scalp itches like crazy, even with all natural products! But, when I shampoo my hair gets extremely tangled, even when I wash in sections. I've tried mixing my shampoo and conditioner together, rinse, then condition. That doesn't help much, lol. I think I need a good moisturizing shampoo. I just ordered another bottle of aohsr condish. I love it! Is the shampoo good? Any suggestions?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
...I did a minichop this past weekend. I chopped off 4 inches (I'll probably go to a salon and get more cut off soon). I'm not sad that the hair is gone, however I have forgotten how THICK my hair actually is. It's becoming very hard to manage the new growth and I'm having a really hard time getting it into a smooth bun.

I'm going to try my best to completely remove heat from my haircare routine and I have ordered a wig to help me on those days when I don't feel too comfortable.

RocStar

It means a lot to hear from others who are going through or have been through what I'm going through. People in my world don't understand!

So, my problem is washing my hair. I wish I could co wash because that makes my hair much more manageable but my scalp won't tolerate it. I have to shampoo or my scalp itches like crazy, even with all natural products! But, when I shampoo my hair gets extremely tangled, even when I wash in sections. I've tried mixing my shampoo and conditioner together, rinse, then condition. That doesn't help much, lol. I think I need a good moisturizing shampoo. I just ordered another bottle of aohsr condish. I love it! Is the shampoo good? Any suggestions?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Have you tried a cleansing conditioner like Miss Jessies Cream De la Curl or Curlz Curling Cream Conditioner. I really like these shampoos and find that they do cleanse my hair/scalp.

A856

I need to wash my hair tonight, it's been almost 2wks (shame on me I know) I do this everytime, detangling is gonna be a beiotch, but I got creme of nature and ORS repl. pak to help me.....

WriterGirl

WriterGirl I think I need a good moisturizing shampoo. I just ordered another bottle of aohsr condish. I love it! Is the shampoo good? Any suggestions?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Meemee6223 I love aohsr as well. Very good. I used Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo -- it doesn't have any sulfates in it and you can use it every week. It isn't all natural though.

Meemee6223

RocStar said:
Have you tried a cleansing conditioner like Miss Jessies Cream De la Curl or Curlz Curling Cream Conditioner. I really like these shampoos and find that they do cleanse my hair/scalp.

I just went to the miss jessie's website and there are a few interesting things I want to try. Has anyone tried the rapid recovery treatment? I think that would do wonders for my dd's hair (based on the description). She has waste length 3c/4a hair.

I see they sell some of these products at target. I will definitely try them. Thanks RocStar

ETA: OMG, rapid recovery is $50!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Last edited:

WriterGirl

Just looked at my siggy and realized it's 14 months. Checking in! :lol:

I think I'm pretty much over wanting to BC. But then we'll see when wash day comes around again.

This is usually how I wear my hair. Up and away. Usually set in Curlformers. I posted the pic in the Curlformers challenge, but I'll post it here too:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess

my new favorite cleanser is V05 clarifying conditioner. it's $1 and can be found anywhere. it really gets the hair clean. (it won't removes cones though, so you may need a stronger shampoo if you have lots of buildup)

also, i like Deva Curl Lo Poo...if you need more suds but still prefer something gentle, this is a good one.

CB1731

Checking in! I need to go back and read these posts because my hair needs some serious help. I'm tempted to chop ...so tempted to chop. It's a dry, ssk, split end mess. :sad:

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Is there any way you can just focus on your scalp while shampooing? Maybe that will help.

The shampoo I use is Giovanni's 50:50 Shampoo, which I buy at Target. It's a clarifying/moisturizing shampoo. I only shampoo once a month since I cowash weekly. Give it a shot.

newbeginnings2010

Hi ladies. I was in this thread a couple of years ago as a transitioner, but I freaked and relaxed because of the tangling, loss of hair, and the idea of having a TWA as my only option because I couldn't stop the breakage. I'm not going to claim that I'm "officially" back to transitioning again (I don't want to jinx it), but I'd like to hang out with you guys for the next few months. I'm already approximately 23 weeks post and the longest I've been is 24. I've been in box plaits for the past week, enjoying the break. I'll be removing them after having my baby (in approximately 6 more weeks), and I'll go from there.

I'm currently in the process of reading this thread backward to where I last posted. I'm enjoying all of the hair and advice here! I also just restocked my favorite Shea Moisture shampoo, conditioner, and scalp elixer, and I added in the Shea Moisture cleansing shampoo as well in preparation for working with my two textures. Wish me luck!

newbeginnings2010

Good luck! I'm on page 85 and know who you are bc I've seen your posts!

omg, thanks for letting me know where I gave up! I think looking at my giving up post is pushing me more in the direction of being sure about transitioning again. I don't want to give up out of frustration again. I could have been fully natural and rocking my giant fro by now! :lol:

ojemba

Hi ladies!!! 28 weeks post

I took out my weave after 10 weeks - washing was a chore. I decided to do a mini chop. It's no use to have this struggle with washing with all that hair and I'm wear PS's.

Braid out after weave removal

image-2374892172.jpg

Braid out after mini chop

image-2292580686.jpg