OKRA FOR YOUR HAIR - That's right...the vegetable!

Armyqt

Re: OKRA FOR YOUR HAIR - That\'s right...the vegetable!

[ QUOTE ]
chanou said:
[ QUOTE ]
Mahalialee4 said:
Chanou: I was wondering if you meant she burnt the maple wood and used the ashes or what exactly? Really wanna know right now...cheezin"
Bonjour.

[/ QUOTE ]

okay I just called her and this is what she did:
She used a motar and pestle to grind the carrots, okra- then she burned the maple wood, used the ashes continue to grind- then she mix it all together with the castor oil including the burn maple wood also, put it on low heat until the mixture is well cooked- Then she use a strainer to separate the cook mixture with the oil- And then she bottles it. She says that sometimes she adds garlic and cinnamon to the mixture-

LADIES THIS STUFF SMELLS_ I just asked my fiance to smell it and he asked if I was going to put voodoo on him with that mess

[/ QUOTE ]

@ voodoo on him.

And girl I'm not gonna be making this concoction EVER

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)

I tried this conditioner several years ago. It's kind of watery. Didn't buy it again.

ImPradaModel

Re: OKRA FOR YOUR HAIR - That\'s right...the vegeta

Lawd Pookeylou Imma have to file chapter 11 dealing with all the new finds. My card "flew" out of my purse also! Darn PookeyLou ( shaking fist at screen )

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
ImPradaModel said:
Lawd Pookeylou Imma have to file chapter 11 dealing with all the new finds. My card "flew" out of my purse also! Darn PookeyLou ( shaking fist at screen )

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry chica!
I just could not help it...ALL NATURAL PRODUCT, OR ALL NON HARMFUL SYNTHETIC PRODUCTS...I have to look up the moisturizer I brought and tell you what it is. But it sounded so heavenly...I KNOW I heard it calling my name!

Here is what I bought yesterday:

Ingredients
Ingredients: Sea Salt (Sodium Chloride), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Fresh Lemon Infusion (Citrus limonum), Toothed Wrack Seaweed Infusion (Fucus serratus), Scottish Sea Water (Aqua), Cocamide DEA, Lauryl Betaine, Fresh Lime Juice (Citrus limetta), Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera), Neroli Oil (Citrus amara), Mandarin Oil (Citrus nobilis), Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla planifolia), Orris Absolute (Iris florentina), Perfume, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Comments
Get a pot of this. Do it now. This shampoo takes ten (or maybe twenty) years off your hair. Your hair will look as if it belongs to someone who has never stayed up late, stood around in smoky pubs, been swimming and got drenched in chlorine, been permed, coloured or dried out. Your hair will shine - nay, it will gleam - like never before! Grown women have been walking up to almost complete strangers and inviting them to stroke their hair because it feels so fantastic. And this is even in hard water areas! In soft water areas it also gives masses of volume. Why and how? Who cares? Just buy it! Oh, OK then. Sea salt, seaweed, lemon and limes juices and coconut oil. But they have to be in the right order. The effect is not temporary; you hair just gets better and better. So buy it.

I also bought the Coolaulin conditioner.

I cant WAIT to try them out!

Pepperanne2

Chanou - I am a lil confused. First, where do you get maple wood from? Then after you have the maplewood you burn it until the ashes fall, then boil said concoction in castor oil until thick(ish); then add the maple "wood" in there too? - then strain. (so we should not only add the ashes but some of the wood too?)

TIA

sengschick

The Bun Master

Well maybe I can use okra topically, b/c I sure don't care to eat it.

Lush makes WONDERFUL products! It's one of my most favorite places EVER. And finally they've made it to the States!! I actually go to Canada to get the products (b/c they were a little slow on getting their technology up to speed, you'd place orders that would never arrive
).

Anyway, things have improved and I was planning to order new products and found in reading the ingredients that they use SLS in some of their soaps and all of the shampoos.
So make sure you read the ingredient list.

Armyqt

Pepperanne, I'm getting a visual of you standing over a fire in the woods making up this concoction

bollyhair

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Pepperanne, I'm getting a visual of you standing over a fire in the woods making up this concoction

[/ QUOTE ]

Why was I also picturing her standing over a CAULDRON in the woods somewher at night 'chanting' as she mixes her OKRA concoction,....

Pepperanne2

Yall are exactly right because that is what I think
Oh well...off to the forest I go - all for the sake of healthy hair!

Ipanema

Chanou, where did your aunt get this recipe? How does she wear her hair?

chanou

[ QUOTE ]
Pepperanne2 said:
Chanou - I am a lil confused. First, where do you get maple wood from?TIA

[/ QUOTE ]I HAVE NO IDEA

[ QUOTE ]
Then after you have the maplewood you burn it until the ashes fall, then boil said concoction in castor oil until thick(ish); then add the maple "wood" in there too? - then strain. (so we should not only add the ashes but some of the wood too?)[ QUOTE ]
B YES NOT ONLY THE ASHES BUT ALSO SOME BURN WOOD

Please don't tell me you're tinking of trying this stuff that's crazy-

chanou

[ QUOTE ]
Ipanema said:
Chanou, where did your aunt get this recipe? How does she wear her hair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposedly she got it from my grandmother but I'm not sure. I remember my grandma her hair never had a smell, although she always had it natural and long.

She applies the concoction to her scalp and a little bit on her ends and then wears a bun for the rest of the week. Her hair doesn't have the scent but still it's too potent for me.

Pepperanne2

Stop acting new Chanou...you know on this board we try anything just once! Now I see I will have a problem with the Maplewood so I may just have to get a sample from "Auntie"...how much does she want for this "miracle in a bottle" and I am sure the smell can't be any worse than that damn BBQ like FRENCHEES...which I must say I may have to go back to during these summer months since no one will tell the difference between the smell of my hair and a good ol' fashioned BBQ.

chanou

Is your hair natural...?? it might be too heavy for relaxed hair....I don't know

Pepperanne2

I am a relaxed head. But I saw for a hot oil treatment and/or wearing braids or a curly set it would be ok. I can also use it on my daughter's hair (she is natural).

GodMadeMePretty

Chanou,

Next time you go to Miami, I need you to get me some of this. I live in Jax. Help a sista out.

Ladies, we will try ANYTHING!! There are even some of us who will try urine in the hair. No matter how disgusting some might think it is, there will always be someone to try it.

chanou

This is crazy.......
I'm sending a sample to pepperanne- She'll be the guinea pig for this...and let us know how it works....

But ladies if this stuff works, husbands will leave coz the smell is strong.

Pepperanne2

I am taking one for the team yall. I will let you know the outcome (smell wise). I am sure it will take the standard few months to see results

pookeylou

You're a brave, brave soul Pepperanne...

I can only commit to trying the conditioner and shampoo I bought. I promise to give a review on those.

Pepperanne2

Trust..a few gals on the board have first hand knowledge that I try anything at least once...and if its a no go.. I give it all away

Sometimes concoctions work better than the stuff filled with chemicals we buy in the stores. Everyting about it seems ok but its just the fire wood that has me baffled
I bet you its something in the wood!

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army

[ QUOTE ]
Pepperanne2 said:
I am taking one for the team yall. I will let you know the outcome (smell wise). I am sure it will take the standard few months to see results

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah.
Afterall it's only our reasonable service to our fellow members to try at least one off the wall method or product per year. Go forth with our blessing pepperanne...and take pics.

chanou

[ QUOTE ]
Pepperanne2 said:
Trust..a few gals on the board have first hand knowledge that I try anything at least once...and if its a no go.. I give it all away

Sometimes concoctions work better than the stuff filled with chemicals we buy in the stores. Everyting about it seems ok but its just the fire wood that has me baffled
I bet you its something in the wood!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder about that too?? I'm not sure what the wood is there for?? does anyone have any ideas??- I guess I could just ask her but one call a week is enough for this aunt she talks too much.

myco

Would Maple Chips work? You know the kind of wood chips that people add to their grills for smoking? That is if they haven't been through a lot of chemical processing and curing.

pookeylou

For some reason I thought you could get scraps of maple wood at Home Depot or Lowes...people use it for barbequeing to add flavor to salmon or burgers.

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
myco said:
Would Maple Chips work? You know the kind of wood chips that people add to their grills for smoking? That is if they haven't been through a lot of chemical processing and curing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great minds...think alike.

morehairplease

Pookeylou could you keep me abreast about the maple wood? TIA

BTW can we get emails showing that a new post has been added to this post? If so,how----I have to keep checking(not that I mind).

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
tishee said:
Pookeylou could you keep me abreast about the maple wood? TIA

BTW can we get emails showing that a new post has been added to this post? If so,how----I have to keep checking(not that I mind).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not brave enough to try the maple wood/okra concoction. I am trying the LUSH Vegan/safe synthetics conditioner and shampoos. I dont think they sell the OKRA conditioner in the States. I am also waiting for someone to reply to my initial request in the loc thread. If they provide an okra recipe for hair...I will try it and I will post it here.

I think you can mark this thread as a favorite...and then you will be notified when people have added to it.

Let me go and check the loc thread. Maybe someone has responded by now.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
bollyhair said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Why was I also picturing her standing over a CAULDRON in the woods somewher at night 'chanting' as she mixes her OKRA concoction,....

[/ QUOTE ]

Isis

In the meantime, while some of you are looking for the maple wood and getting your concoction brewing, here is an okra recipe (for your hair)to get you started, that I've tried and it's pretty delicious.
The okra stays pretty firm too. I use cayenne pepper instead of the hot chile and olive or coconut oil. There are some others on this site also. I'm going to reprint this in the vegetarian recipe thread on the Off Topic Discussion board.

[b[Curried Okra[/b]
http://www.africhef.com/Curried-Okra-Recipe.html