Struggling with your natural hair? Come in here.....

YvetteWithJoy

On break
story of my life!

we're you rougher than normal?
time for a dusting (usually what it means for me)?
lack of protein?

I wasn't rougher than usual, but I used different products and a different method/order.

It has been a while since I gave myself a protein treatment. That could be the culprit, but even before I ever gave my hair its first ever protein treatment, I never had tiny pieces of hair in the sink like that. :(

charmtreese

I detangled completely differently than I usually do. :(

I usually prewash detangle at the sink with Soultanicals Hair Glide on damp hair.

This time I washed my hair with TGIN shampoo and DC'd and finger detangled my hair in the shower with SM's hipo masque. Then at the sink I used my tiny sample of Qhemet Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee to fully detangle. Because I only had a little ghee left, I applied a very small amount to just the ends of each section of soaking wet hair. Then I detangled like usual: Wet brush then coarse-toothed comb then fine-toothed comb.

The other day I detangled with the QCTDG and used an ample amount and saw no tiny pieces of hair like that. In fact, I haven't seen tiny pieces of hair like that EVER in my life. :cry3:

How have you been styling your hair? have your ends been exposed to the elements more than normal?

It may just be that you did not have enough product while detangling. However, if your ends are weak like that, than you may need to do a protein treatment.

When you touch the ends of your hair, do you ever get tiny pieces like this in your hand?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
How have you been styling your hair? have your ends been exposed to the elements more than normal?

It may just be that you did not have enough product while detangling. However, if your ends are weak like that, than you may need to do a protein treatment.

When you touch the ends of your hair, do you ever get tiny pieces like this in your hand?

I hardly ever wear a wash-and-go, and for the past 2 days I'd been wearing one. But before, when I use to wear wash-and-go's all the time, I never had breakage like this.

No, when I touch my ends tiny pieces like that NEVER fall off.

A lot of my products have protein in them. I'm wondering if I'm overdoing the protein thing and my hair was brittle. I don't know. I want to think that it was just that I didn't use enough product (the ghee). Guess I'll have to wait until next wash day to see if it happens again. I'm going to use the Soultanicals Hair Glide instead of the QCTDG. If I still get breakage, I'll give myself a protein treatment. I feel like my hair feels strong, but I could be wrong.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
It does look like breakage. How long is your hair?

This was my hair, blow dried, in November 2016 after a 3-inch or so trim. I wear it curly, and when it shrinks fully it is a very short afro.