Dr. Drew's Life Changers - Black Hair

andromeda

sad but not surprised that the show was a mess. glad but not shocked that himay showed her tame side. i'll have to check out her segment specifically...

My Friend

Himay was not at all what some anticipated :nono: I cringed when the brotha with the orange tie was speaking :look:

We have to keep the dialogue going :yep: This subject is very painful to so many people that it needs to be exposed to take away it's power.

People have to be ok with relaxers, weaves, naturals, braids, etc. The power and pain is not in the hairstyle but in the rejection and condesending remarks from other.

We need to either compliment someone for something we think looks good on them or keep it moving without judgement or side eyes.

Amerie123

Maybe she's thinking about changing up her whole channel to make it more sophisticated and appropriate since she has made an appearance on the show. She don't wanna be seen cursing and rambling about random things anymore since she has more of an audience now.

she said it was an error on someone's part; something happened and that her videos should be back to normal soon.

Derek J just proved much more he needs to learn about hair. Really? Unruly hair needs a relaxer? We have a long way to go....tsk tsk.

I really wish that Dr. Drew didn't cut him off to show off the fantasy hair, because I really wanted to see more of how he was going to explain to Kim Coles as to who and why would some women need relaxers. I mean really? We just went back to square one with that comment.

Shows like this are so predictable. Played out just like I thought it would.

Was there resolution? No
Anything stated that we didn't alreaddy know? No
Entertainment? Yes
Adequate time on the show devoted to education? No
Numerous examples of division within the Black community? Yes
Numerous examples of unity within the Black community? NO

^^^ reeko43 MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY!!!!!!!!

longfroinghair

My Goodness, I love Himay10nence

But...

I didn't recognize her without the cussing and comedic anger and rambling. Like straight up, didn't even recognize her.
LOL!
She's a different person.

and Great Last Words Kim Coles :yep:

Last edited:

theAlist

On Himays channel there is a video of her explaining why her videos are private, so there is no need to speculate here and start false rumors.

Her daughter is adorable!!!!! And I personally didn't like the cut, she says that she did so that's all that matters really.

Last edited:

empressri

On Himays channel there is a video of her explaining why her videos are private, so there is no need to speculate here and start false rumors.

Her daughter is adorable!!!!! And I personally didn't like the cut, she says that she did so that's all that matters really.

Why stop speculating and stopping rumors? Isn't that the way things are done round these parts?? :evilbanana:

Solitude

I liked the show overall. They could have left Derek J's part off though. That was so random...

But I thought they did a good job of picking people to represent each perspective. I bet the producers thought Himmay would go H.A.M on that stage due to her youtube personality but she kept it classy.

Why was Derek J on there talking about black women's hair? I don't care for his persona.

Shadiyah

Maybe she's thinking about changing up her whole channel to make it more sophisticated and appropriate since she has made an appearance on the show. She don't wanna be seen cursing and rambling about random things anymore since she has more of an audience now.

she said she is having a website build so that is why her videos are gone but they all were not suppose to be made private the guy made a mistake. so she didn't want any rumors.

discodumpling

Ladies some clarity please....so the 1st look for HiMay was a weave and they cut it all off? AND HiMay you need to spend more time on the boards if you been natural since 1999 and you're still confused.

Guitarhero

Well, Himay said she was going international...:yep:

I'm sorry, but Africa will devour her and spit her out.:perplexed

I don't think it matters that he is not black. Are only black people allowed to be interested in/discuss black hair and the issues that come with it? I disagree with the sentiment expressed in this thread by a few others that this is a black thing and whites should keep their noses out.
Whites have a reputation for being uneducated about issues that don't directly affect or concern them, eg. minority struggles, and they are often chastized by blacks for it. So now, here we have a white man who appears to be interested in a 'black' issue (albeit, he is doing it solely for the ratings) and we are telling him that he should just 'mind his business'?

It's not a Black issue...it's just hair. Unemployment is an issue. Steering in jobs and real estate are issues. Unscrupulous banking practices directed towards certain communities with little access to services is an issue. The media makes this an issue...it's not for the majority of Black women any more than white women trying to comb through tangly wet hair and complaining that HairSoNew is no longer made to ease the combing process.

Last edited:

discodumpling

LOL! @ Dr. Drew being "interested" in this topic. Some misguided producer brought this topic to his doorstep...he can't BEGIN to comprehend what hair does ot does not mean to the Black community. ...everything is NOT for everybody.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I got the show, but it was pretty much pointless. Nothing new, like another poster said no resolution.

I guess the only solution really is, who cares, it's hair, natural, weave, permed/relaxed, jherri-curl, braids, fusion, color, short, long, whatever. It just sucks that people feel they can make our hair a joke, and have so many misconceptions, that it just keeps perpetuating [sic?] stupid sterotypes, and beliefs that our hair is bad, especially in our own community.

We as a people have to accept our hair, in all states. But it seems if we keep having shows, showcasing how much some of us hate our hair, and the division, we will never move past it.

It would be nice if these shows talked about maintenence, moisture/protein, quality products, being gentle, and what can lead to "bad hair".

*Frisky*

Ladies some clarity please....so the 1st look for HiMay was a weave and they cut it all off? AND HiMay you need to spend more time on the boards if you been natural since 1999 and you're still confused.

discodumpling

She had to be wearing a wig. I think once she figures out how to style her short cut it will be really cute on her. Her daughter is a sweetie.

I was shocked and enlightened when the men were giving their prospective. One of them said that all the long weave is becoming played out and I had been thinking this in the back of my mind for awhile. I still wear wigs/weaves but no where on the level that I used to. I can relate to the one chick saying she wears it at as a protective style but for the most part, I think she might wear it out of conveinence and habit.

Raspberry

It would be nice if these shows talked about maintenence, moisture/protein, quality products, being gentle, and what can lead to "bad hair".

I totally agree :yep:. All the philosophizing, navel gazing, history dissection, etc. is kind of useless when all most women need is practical tips on how to take care of their hair on a daily basis.

The message that comes out of these shows is that some people have good hair, others don't.. if you don't have good hair learn to accept it. That kind of sucks as a take home philosophy...especially since having nice hair in whatever state isn't some miraculous ideal, it's just about technique and products.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApBXMF0cVsU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This makeover is HORRIBLE! Why is the solution always to cut natural hair off, especially if it's 4 textured.

I felt the same way ecadnacmc. Why she gotta cut her hair off to make it more manageable? And making it look all spikey on top with added color? Ugh! Why didn't she style it with the length that HIMAY10NENCE had to begin with? I wasn't all the way surprised given that the stylist herself has a really low cut. I bet when she got home, she put that afro wig/weave back in. I surely would have if I wore wigs or weaves.

Last edited:

Raspberry

I felt the same way @ecadnacmc. Why she gotta cut her hair off to make it more manageable? Why didn't she style it with the length that HIMAY10NENCE had to begin with? I wasn't all the way surprised given that the stylist herself has a really low cut.
I thought the same thing, though the stylist did say her hair was damaged so maybe it was bad enough to warrant doing a BC...?

I dunno why it's so hard for them to find long haired naturals for these shows, they always perpetuate the idea that black women have to choose between damaged relaxed hair, weave, or short natural hair... like there's no other options.