Dr. Drew's Life Changers - Black Hair

Mizz Diamonds

Why are Black issues becoming public fodder especially Black women issues. I. didn't mind it on Tyra show or Oprah but Dr. (rehab guy) Drew? Like wtf? Every year it seems to get more and more worse.

DirtyJerzeyGirly

I mean not Curly Nikki? I know not everyone is a fan but c'mon not Kimmaytube? He wants black women to duke it out and knows that some of the well known youtubers/bloggers won't fit the bill. smh.

why is dr. drew doing so many black topics? does he have black producers or something??

This makes me mad... I swear Black women are becoming a side show..

His show is called Life Changers. Whose life is he going to change? and how? by giving them a relaxer or doing a BC? WTF??

This is just another thing being bought into mainstream that makes us look a little more "crazy".

:yep::yep::yep::yep:...........................

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I won't be able to see it unless one of you ladies fix a link. I think America loves to see the black women struggle with something they have succeeded in winning against. I for one am going to learn how to not be so OCD about my hair.:rolleyes:

cami88

He could have chosen any other youtuber who is knowledgable about hair--not that they even have to be well known--but of course, its all about ratings. What a shame that she was chosen to be the mouthpiece of the yt natural hair community.

Mathewmn

I happen to be a fan of himay10nance, I went to the first "Restoring self esteem in queens" conference in chicago with her and queennaturalbrauty from youtube also.
Yes she has a vulgar mouth but I forgot she even cursed because in person she didn't at all. I cant wait to see the show
Sent from my SGH-T849 using SGH-T849

KurlyNinja

Great... just another reason for white people to come up to me and tell me that they "understand" they black struggle and think I'm doing the "right thing" because I'm natural. -_-

dachsies_rule!

I happen to be a fan of himay10nance, I went to the first "Restoring self esteem in queens" conference in chicago with her and queennaturalbrauty from youtube also.
Yes she has a vulgar mouth but I forgot she even cursed because in person she didn't at all. I cant wait to see the show
Sent from my SGH-T849 using SGH-T849

Exactly! People forget that youtube videos don't define someones entire personality and style. Folks here have put her in a box of who they think she is, but they don't realize that she is intelligent, knowledgeable and well-spoken...she does have a job, a business and has raised children. Please give her some credit for being a grown a$$ woman with common sense!

Wanderland

I guess. I just wish it was from a hair advocacy position. Where are our representatives about black hair?

BUT looking from the actual clip, it seems there is a variety of opinions and not just hers.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I'm not too sure HE went out and recruited HER:

But I could be wrong...

http://www.lctv.com/be-on-the-show/#Beauty

Southernbella.

Great... just another reason for white people to come up to me and tell me that they "understand" they black struggle and think I'm doing the "right thing" because I'm natural. -_-

This hasn't happened to me in person, but it has online. I've had black AND white posters talk about how society needs to understand what black women have to "go through", and how they feel sorry for women with natural hair (this was in response to a black woman on a reality show who wore her hair in a fro during the course of taping).

I was like WTF? I enjoy my natural hair (as hard as that is to believe:rolleyes:), and I prefer to wear it in its natural texture. I don't WANT to wear it straight every day, and I don't believe straight is better. I absolutely cannot STAND the idea that I deserve pity because my hair is nappy.

So of course this bird is going to go on this show and talk all about the natural struggle and how nappy hair is so bad that it makes her get on YT and curse and neckroll, and how we HAVE to wear wigs and weaves because otherwise, our naps won't grow and we'd be walking around looking like Ceely or some ish.

Enough! Seriously. Some of us really do love our damn hair and don't need lacefronts and Yaki and flat irons and the comforting busom of pitying white women in order to make our natural lives easier. Where is the forum for us? When do we get some shine?

**** outta here with that mess. I wouldn't watch this coonery if you paid me. But I will be reading the thread.:look:

Last edited:

niqu92

omg....
i just hope this doesnt give the same results as chris rock's Good Hair, leaving white ppl thinking we all have weaves and crap like that

Gin&Tonic

Exactly! People forget that youtube videos don't define someones entire personality and style. Folks here have put her in a box of who they think she is, but they don't realize that she is intelligent, knowledgeable and well-spoken...she does have a job, a business and has raised children. Please give her some credit for being a grown a$$ woman with common sense!

Can't give her too much credit. You tube is a very public forum . Anyone with common sense would not represent themselves that way. I guess she thinks because she does not use her real name, she can be ghetto like that. Anyone with common sense would know better.

la mosca

*Facepalm*

So the "age old debate" is "why African American women love their hair"? Mmkay.

Oh well, I LOL'd when the music started playing in the preview.

allmundjoi

How about the author of The Science of Black hair? She would have been great. Probably she is deemed to intelligent and tame...no ratings like coon ratings huh?

HoneyCurlz

This makes me mad... I swear Black women are becoming a side show..

His show is called Life Changers. Whose life is he going to change? and how? by giving them a relaxer or doing a BC? WTF??

This is just another thing being bought into mainstream that makes us look a little more "crazy".

Sadly to say but you are right!

We are getting to the point that anytime someone shoves a mic in our faces we need to talk about hair, skin color or not having a man!

I am starting to understand why people think that the WORST possible thing you can be in life is a black person...we make being black sound sooooo tragic w/all of our issues!

...and we are not even getting anything for this besides an even worse reputation.

GIJane

Can't give her too much credit. You tube is a very public forum . Anyone with common sense would not represent themselves that way. I guess she thinks because she does not use her real name, she can be ghetto like that. Anyone with common sense would know better.

womp womp :goodone:

Ogoma

Sadly to say but you are right!

We are getting to the point that anytime someone shoves a mic in our faces we need to talk about hair, skin color or not having a man!

I am starting to understand why people think that the WORST possible thing you can be in life is a black person...we make being black sound sooooo tragic w/all of our issues!

...and we are not even getting anything for this besides an even worse reputation.

IKR! I think people conflate pity with love and respect. Constantly victimizing oneself to get pity from white feminists/womanist/allies is not the same as getting respect.

I will never forget reading a panel discussion where a white feminist stated she has considered not dating black men so she doesn't take them away from black women. I know she meant well, but it was all kinds of condescending. I think that was the beginning of the end for me. I don't want to be pitied or condescended to; I am a black woman with a fantastic life.

jada1111

Co-sign ^^^THIS^^^!!! ALL OF IT!!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Do your thang Himay10nence!!!!! :yay: :yay:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
^^^ No one wants her to fail. :nono: Maybe folks want her to be a little more positive and talk with less curse words.:lol: I have to give her credit for getting on national TV. She's doing her thing.

SmilingElephant

That's what I'M sayin!

I'm not even trippin that it's Himay10nence on the show...im trippin bc its as if America is making a us (Black women) out of a spectacle.

Honestly...i understand where Himay10nence is coming from...i saw the videos posted on here..i came up around ppl like her (i'm southern/hood...whatever)...and even tho she speaks vulgar on YT...i get where she's coming from...but its still setting up a division for US to be talking about "good hair"...know what i mean?....i can't watch too much of her bc my ears start hurtin:lol:...but she is funny!

I just hate feeling like an alien in America...what are we..science experiments?!:perplexed

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I think the show has potential to be very informative however i have a feeling that it won't go in the direction it should/could by any stretch of the imagination :nono:

Raspberry

IKR! I think people conflate pity with love and respect. Constantly victimizing oneself to get pity from white feminists/womanist/allies is not the same as getting respect.

I will never forget reading a panel discussion where a white feminist stated she has considered not dating black men so she doesn't take them away from black women. I know she meant well, but it was all kinds of condescending. I think that was the beginning of the end for me. I don't want to be pitied or condescended to; I am a black woman with a fantastic life.

Stooooooooooopppp :nono::spinning::lol:

natural_one

dachsies_rule! But that is a box she created by presenting herself the way she does on youtube. Based on her videos, I would never know she was intelligent, knowledgeable and well-spoken. Am I just supposed to assume that even though my only "interaction" with her is her youtube videos?

RocStar

Sit down Dr.Drew you are not black. He needs to mind his own gosh darn business.

Umm, huh?

GIFSoup

She states and gives her real name all of the time. She is not trying to front.

cami88

Sit down Dr.Drew you are not black. He needs to mind his own gosh darn business.

I don't think it matters that he is not black. Are only black people allowed to be interested in/discuss black hair and the issues that come with it? I disagree with the sentiment expressed in this thread by a few others that this is a black thing and whites should keep their noses out.

Whites have a reputation for being uneducated about issues that don't directly affect or concern them, eg. minority struggles, and they are often chastized by blacks for it. So now, here we have a white man who appears to be interested in a 'black' issue (albeit, he is doing it solely for the ratings) and we are telling him that he should just 'mind his business'?