I am convinced Haitian women have a hair secret....

Leo24Rule

So many ways to use it!

For hair:
You can add it to a prepoo or to a condish to DC after cleansing.

As it was already mentioned, you can use it on your scalp a few times a week.

You can use it to spot treat your scalp. Apply the l'huile in areas where there is less hair.

You can coat your hair with it (use very little bc it's very heavy) before washing with a shampoo.

There are many other non hair uses. Just last week, my mom washed the oil and I drank it to cleanse out my system (mistine). We also massage achy joints with it or add it to a lotion or body creme for extra moisterization. Many many uses but I will stop here.

You drank it? How did you drink this concoction?

LaBelleLL

You drank it? How did you drink this concoction?

Yeah it's pretty gross. My mom cleans the oil then she mixes it with aloe I believe. I forget. But she mixes it with something to change the viscosity. The concoction itself is called "mistine".

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Yeah it's pretty gross. My mom cleans the oil then she mixes it with aloe I believe. I forget. But she mixes it with something to change the viscosity. The concoction itself is called "mistine".

Delurking to say:
My Panamanian mom did the same thing to me as a child. She mixed HBCO with either aloe vera (unfiltered bitter) gel & lemon juice or cooked onions, garlic & honey. She called these disgusting concoctions a “purge" or “washout"

Using LHCF via smartphone. Can't see mentions.

Holla

Well how about we get scientific with this debate

Hair goes through growing stages right?
Anagen is specifically the growing stage
That varies amongst peoples in even the same families
Maybe theses supposed women from other places (long haired supposed capitals of the world )
have a longer Anagen phase 7 years
African descendents have a shorter phase possibly 5 years

Reason being?
Back to basics, because of the heat in Kemet (Africa)
(our continent of origin) we needed less hair
Maybe biologically that results in shorter Anagen phases
to keep the body from becoming overheated.

There are many holes to my argument I'm sure
but this takes the color ethnicity good hair porosity width curl pattern anything superficial and vulnerable to a subjective view, out of the mix.
Now you're left with 2 factors, Anagen phase & Climate.

Also as someone else said earlier, the ability to take care of our own hair was taken away from us the minute our ancestors were put into chains.
*If they were caught with combs or any other hair ornaments they whipped.
*After months on the ships the hair was shaved off, being caked with feces, vomit, blood, and bugs
*We were moved from a hot tropical 365/24/7 place, to a temperate cold half the time place
no longer was the heat stimulating our scalp producing sebum (WHich goes a long way)
*We were not allowed to keep our hair in intricate styles(that goes along with our culture being completely taken away from us)

In general out beauty, black beauty, african kemetian beauty, pure beauty, was kept from us.

No offense...but my first reaction: This is some BS. :lol:

There are people in Africa who were never enslaved. Their lineage goes back for thousands of years (so no termperate climate change). They also didn't maintain elaborate hair styles. Yet, some African women have the same hair challenges as their long lost sistas in the New World.

How would you explain THEIR dilemma when you remove the massa they never had?

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
No offense...but my first reaction: This is some BS. :lol:

There are people in Africa who were never enslaved. Their lineage goes back for thousands of years (so no termperate climate change). They also didn't maintain elaborate hair styles. Yet, some African women have the same hair challenges as their long lost sistas in the New World.

How would you explain THEIR dilemma when you remove the massa they never had?

Oh dear, you seem to be under the impression the white man never colonized Africa.

Last edited:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I am just going to leave this snippet of what colonization may have meant to Africans during the European colonial era. I am sure they didn't have as much time as they may have wanted for hair care among other things let's say.

"King Leopold II of Belgium called his vast private colony the Congo Free State. Effectively this meant those exploiting the area were free of all restraint and answerable only to the Belgian king.[13] The treatment of the Africans under this system was harsh enough to cause the other colonial powers to plead with the Belgian king to exercise some moderating influence. Eventually the Belgian government annexed the territory as a Belgian colony.[14]

Khapoya (pp. 134–143) notes the significant attention colonial powers paid to the economics of colonisation. This included: acquisition of land, often enforced labour, introduction of cash crops, sometimes even to the neglect of food crops, changing inter-African trading patterns of pre-colonial times, introduction of labourers from India, etc. and the continuation of Africa as a source of raw materials for European industry.[15] "

The bold there sounds familiar. :ohwell:

bronxsoloist

Actually quite the opposite.
Colonization is not just physical with chains
It's a mental take over.

That has happened to people every where and for centuries now.
Even as you read my response, you gave me a colonized response.
I OVERstand the brainwashing of my melanated people, so I can understand why you would view my response as "BS".

When you finally do open your eyes, because even against your own wicked odds I believe even you can become deprogrammed, you will look back at these old ways of thinking, and wonder how could you ever whisper one negative word about your own people.

Those who OVERstand, already know, there is no good hair. NO good genes. No easier hair. Eat healthy, be healthy, think healthy, and live a natural life full of love.(WAY easier said than done) I noticed another argument used earlier was that even women in 3rd world countries with poor water etc... can still maintain better hair than our people.I'm paraphrasing of course. Well those people in 3rd world countries live a simpler life than we do. They are not clouded with luxuries, and therefore not hindered by many toxins.

This argument/debate goes so big wide and deep and the topic of hair is just the beginning. If our black/brown melanated women KNEW the TRUE history of their hair, why it coiled, what it is made up of, and the essence of magic within it, they would never have anything negative to say again.(nor would they treat their hair hatefully with such harsh chemicals)

I say to you, what makes you think Africa and parts of it are still not colonized? Why do you even call it Africa? Not Nubia, Kemet, El Kebelon (sp), Ethiopia, Mareta? Because Scipio Africanus a white man that's why. You don't even know what to call your own homeland, so I can understand the disconnect and UNDERstanding of your home. The the Kems today you find with long hair are the older traditional type that have stayed away from that white ideology and live a KISS non western life. But skin bleaching and relaxers are the rage their. Thats why our sisters are not growing their hair still.

People think colonization means everyone was in chains. :rolleyes:

Holla

I am just going to leave this snippet of what colonization may have meant to Africans during the European colonial era. I am sure they didn't have as much time as they may have wanted for hair care among other things let's say.

"King Leopold II of Belgium called his vast private colony the Congo Free State. Effectively this meant those exploiting the area were free of all restraint and answerable only to the Belgian king.[13] The treatment of the Africans under this system was harsh enough to cause the other colonial powers to plead with the Belgian king to exercise some moderating influence. Eventually the Belgian government annexed the territory as a Belgian colony.[14]

Khapoya (pp. 134–143) notes the significant attention colonial powers paid to the economics of colonisation. This included: acquisition of land, often enforced labour, introduction of cash crops, sometimes even to the neglect of food crops, changing inter-African trading patterns of pre-colonial times, introduction of labourers from India, etc. and the continuation of Africa as a source of raw materials for European industry.[15] "

The bold there sounds familiar. :ohwell:

What does all of that have to do with how Black people (various Africans in particular) take care of, grow and retain the length of their hair? :ohwell:

Actually quite the opposite.
Colonization is not just physical with chains
It's a mental take over.

That has happened to people every where and for centuries now.
Even as you read my response, you gave me a colonized response.
I OVERstand the brainwashing of my melanated people, so I can understand why you would view my response as "BS".

When you finally do open your eyes, because even against your own wicked odds I believe even you can become deprogrammed, you will look back at these old ways of thinking, and wonder how could you ever whisper one negative word about your own people.

Those who OVERstand, already know, there is no good hair. NO good genes. No easier hair. Eat healthy, be healthy, think healthy, and live a natural life full of love.(WAY easier said than done) I noticed another argument used earlier was that even women in 3rd world countries with poor water etc... can still maintain better hair than our people.I'm paraphrasing of course. Well those people in 3rd world countries live a simpler life than we do. They are not clouded with luxuries, and therefore not hindered by many toxins.

This argument/debate goes so big wide and deep and the topic of hair is just the beginning. If our black/brown melanated women KNEW the TRUE history of their hair, why it coiled, what it is made up of, and the essence of magic within it, they would never have anything negative to say again.(nor would they treat their hair hatefully with such harsh chemicals)

I say to you, what makes you think Africa and parts of it are still not colonized? Why do you even call it Africa? Not Nubia, Kemet, El Kebelon (sp), Ethiopia, Mareta? Because Scipio Africanus a white man that's why. You don't even know what to call your own homeland, so I can understand the disconnect and UNDERstanding of your home. The the Kems today you find with long hair are the older traditional type that have stayed away from that white ideology and live a KISS non western life. But skin bleaching and relaxers are the rage their. Thats why our sisters are not growing their hair still.

I've been to different countries in Africa....all up in rural areas where no White man has probably ever set foot and I know what I have seen as to their lifestyle and hair practices. Not universal to the continent or even to the entire country but enough to give me some perspective. I'm not going to defend colonialism but I also won't act like simply because of it, our hair tends to be shorter or retain less in length.

Plus, your post reminds me of what Black Israelites spew on a daily basis(you know them since you know about the Bronx). While lecturing to me in English ...ummmm the colonizer's language :lol: ....they wonder why everyone else doesn't know 100+ translations for "Africa" in various continental languages. Comical at best.

bronxsoloist

I didnt say because of colonization our hair is shorter
I said due to biology and lack of knowledge
And black isrealites find themselves in harlem and bk
not the bronx
We can go from hair to biology to africa to colonization to religion
the fact remains that brainwashed thinkings of black hair is just that
Brainwash.

If you and others choose to believe that your hair does not grow because you were given a sub par combo of hair genes, then who am I or anyone else to defend that? :) I'm sure most of my beautiful type 4 ladies would agree with me when I say we got the luckiest combo ever and should be so lucky.

Happy Hair Growing!

CodeRed

It seems like this "good" hair debate is never going to end.

I don't know exactly what my hair type is (somewhere in the 4s) but I do know I have good hair because it's healthy. When I'm not doing something ignorant to it, it sheds normally and doesn't break off (again, when I'm not doing something stupid).

When people start categorizing "good" hair by texture, then yes, by default, they are saying some other type of hair is "bad" or "difficult" because it's more textured. I've met countless women with straight/slightly wavy hair who spend WAY more time on their hair than I do (to get pretty much the same result) but they are considered to have "good" hair because it's naturally straighter than mine. Dumbest thing in the world.

Holla

I didnt say because of colonization our hair is shorter
I said due to biology and lack of knowledge
And black isrealites find themselves in harlem and bk
not the bronx
We can go from hair to biology to africa to colonization to religion
the fact remains that brainwashed thinkings of black hair is just that
Brainwash.

If you and others choose to believe that your hair does not grow because you were given a sub par combo of hair genes, then who am I or anyone else to defend that? :) I'm sure most of my beautiful type 4 ladies would agree with me when I say we got the luckiest combo ever and should be so lucky.

Happy Hair Growing!

Black Israelites have been all over NYC now for almost 100 years, ever since their founder inspired synagogues to be set up in Brooklyn, Harlem, Queens, AND the Bronx. I'm in the DMV now and they are even hanging out in front of the Verizon Center. They weren't going to skip the Bronx before heading south. Given that you didn't know that much about the Bronx, I question your knowledge about Africa. :look:

My 4 a/b hair has reached great lengths and I have hair idols with 4a/b that reached waist length and beyond so I am not pressed about hair growing. I never said anything about it being good hair or bad hair. Nothing about kinky hair being subpar. I simply pointed out that some hair textures retain length easier than those with a kinkier texture. There is nothing inherently bad about that - no more than someone saying some people have skin that naturally is blemish-free while others have to do more to thwart skin issues to maintain a more even complexion.

bronxsoloist

Trying to discredit me
whether facts or opinions
doesn't change the fact
that you hold a certain disbelief
about your own hair.

Holla

Trying to discredit me
whether facts or opinions
doesn't change the fact
that you hold a certain disbelief
about your own hair.

That is your OPINION, not fact.

It is not my opinion that the Bronx has Black Israelites; it is a fact -something you were wrong about. Given that you don't know the difference between facts and opinions, I further question your knowledge about Africa. :lol:

No seriously.....we obviously have different thoughts about hair and that is fine. Happy Hair Growing to you too! :yep:

CenteredGirl

Halleluyer to the bold.:lachen: You are on point! I will no longer talk about the grade of hair, moisture retention is the key to all manageable and beautiful hair regardless of type.

Again, I keep saying we need to stop this 4A or less hair is better to take care of. It is porosity and hair width that tends to be a problem especially with dryness and retention.

My cousin is multi-ethnic. Her mum my aunty is West African and her father is European. She has okay what is called 3b/3c hair. When her hair is short and cannot be protectively styled and when she doesn't wash it often, because her hair is high porosity it looks dry and grows in the shape of an afro and you can't see any curls and her hair is fine.

Since, she began washing her hair more often and her hair is longer since her hair cut five years ago, you can now see the curl definition and her hair is no longer an 'afro' shape it hangs.

But she still has high porosity hair the only difference is that she now knows how to care for it without it getting damaged. High porosity hair either does well kept short or very long. It is medium length that it becomes a challenge in terms of styling and many women seem to get stuck.

I have friends who are this so called 4A and have low to normal porosity hair and their hair doesn't encounter the same problems that I may have as a high porosity chick.

When my hair is short again because I cannot get it into protective styles, the air immediately dries out my hair and it looks very shrunken and even dry when it is not necessarily dry. Once, my hair grows past a certain length the same hair that looked this so called 4C-4Z hair looks a completely different hair type and by the way when people see my hair now at more than two inches and call is 4C it doesn't bother me at all. I am now transitioning again and it amazes me each time, when my hair is short you can barely see any curls unless I use any products but once it gets longer and the hair starts to hang it looks like a completely different head of hair. I really love the versatility of our hair from shrunken to stretched.

We need to stop worrying about hair types and focus on issues like hair retention and moisture. Many women hi po women that are stuck at the TWA or short medium stage unless they are slow growers need to either learn to co wash more often, or do more DC treatments and stop over manipulating their hair and stop blaming hair type. Long hair doesn't grow over night. Once I figured this out my hair is thriving since I shaved it in May, it is almost three inches and I venture to say it is probably three inches already it is just that my curls are tight and fine.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Smiley79

I think it's the daily rice and beans that we eat. When I was younger and at home and ate "diri a pois" (rice and beans) everyday, my hair was so much better than what it is now. Haitians don't eat out much, they don't mess with processed foods much. Rice, variety of beans, cornmeal, yams, green bananas, some meat or chicken, and stews made with cow foot or some good bone.

L'uile maskreti is a goodie too but I can't use it on my scalp much.

Last edited: