The PROPER way to flat iron

Neith

I just got my maxiglide today.

Out of curiosity I turned it on 1 and tried to straighten a small section of my hair.

It came out straight and silky with one pass :shocked:

It straightened MY resistant, tough, hard, brillo pad hair on the LOWEST setting when my hair was NOT stretched out in any way and not blowdried?!?!

Nothing else has done that before. I think it's the steam function.

I'm really excited to flat iron my hair now! Before I've had to do presses to get my hair straight. I've never actually flat ironed my hair!

I plan to do it in August for my bf's birthday or in October when I should reach full shoulder.

I've heard a lot of things. That you shouldn't use oils?

What types of products SHOULD you use? A heat protectant and serum only?

Should I use leave - in as well?

Is it okay to use leave - in instead of heat protectant?

What are some lower priced heat protectants?

What should I avoid doing to and putting in my hair?

:lachen:Lots of questions, huh?

Please share your flat ironing procedures and tips!

Marand13

you should always DC beforehand and I usually put a leavein on while the hair is still wet then the heat protectant. I use silk elements its cheap at sallys about $4 I think...

ladylibra

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

if you say it worked that well for you... i will have to try it for real now! :yep: guess y'all are onto something with this steam thing...

normally serums don't agree with my hair :look: the only one that ever has is Sabino. i've straightened my hair using only a leave-in conditioner... it was alright i guess. i felt better using a heat protectant spray over it. i also liked Silk Elements for that, they have a spray that's cheap and it adds extra shine and silkiness too. :grin: i liked that my hair felt "coated" but not in a bad way... it wasn't heavy or sticky.

RoseGolden

I have 4a natural hair that I usually wear straightened and I just recently perfected my at home presses :grin: This is what I do:

1. Wash and DC
2. Apply Sunsilk Straighten Up as a leave in

3. Apply Fantasia IC heat protectant serum, blowdry in small sections
4. a bit more Fantasia IC
5. Maxiglide in smaller sections

Perfection! :grin:

DarkAngell

It's looks so huge on the sides. I'm wondering... is it able to get realllllly close to your scalp??? Is it heavy?

Neith

wow, that's amazing! had you tried straightening since you've been texturized?

Yes, I've tried other flat irons while being texturized and it just didn't work :nono: My hair is not easy to straighten. My profile pic is after me letting a super strength relaxer process for 20 minutes.

I've always had to press, natural or texturized to get the bouncy straight look.

It's looks so huge on the sides. I'm wondering... is it able to get realllllly close to your scalp??? Is it heavy?

It's not heavy and I could get at the roots easily. I also have a miniglide to help with roots if I need it.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I like Fantasia IC Heat Protecting serum, you can get it from Sally's. John Frieda makes a good one too

I always shampoo and dc before using heat, and I find that my hair comes out lighter and bouncier if I use a spray leave in, as opposed to a cream one.

Leave in first, heat serum next. Oh, and try to use as little product as possible, so your hair won't be heavy or oily