How soon after relaxing can you henna?

taz007

I just relaxed my hair with Phyto 2 on 12/20. My hair feels really thin. How soon can I put henna in?

BTW, I just noticed that the Phyto instructions say not to use Phyto with henna :blush: but I haven't seen any damage yet.

What do y'all think??

drasgrl

If the product says not to use henna then it's probably for a good reason. I've relax and hennaed the same day and had no problems.

taz007

Thanks drasgrl!

I have been hennaing and relaxing with Phyto for a year and so far so good. Maybe I am getting good results by using the body art quality henna?

Last edited:

frizzy

I usually henna 3 or 4 after relaxing. I'm gonna relax tomorrow, I might go ahead and henna the same day, my gray patch sure needs it. :ohwell:

drasgrl

Thanks drasgrl!

I have been hennaing and relaxing with Phyto for a year and so far so good. Maybe I am getting good result by using the body art quality henna?

Well if it's been a year and it's working then I guess it's ok.

taz007

I don't oil my hair. I just wash my hair with KeraCare and then put in my henna + indigo mix and go to sleep.

I rinse in the morning with cheap conditioners.

If I am doing something wrong, someone please let me know!

frizzy

I don't use oil prior to hennaing either. I feel like it will create a barrier and keep the henna from penetrating the hair shaft. I will mix a little moisturizing conditioner with a lot of henna.

sqzbly1908

I just relaxed my hair with Phyto 2 on 12/20. My hair feels really thin. How soon can I put henna in?

BTW, I just noticed that the Phyto instructions say not to use Phyto with henna :blush: but I haven't seen any damage yet.

What do y'all think??

I actually waited about a week and I did henna gloss. I have fine hair and it definitely made my hair feel and look stronger. Another LHCF'er - Lavandar - has been doing Henna for a long time in conjunction with the Phytorelaxer and her hair is fantabulous!!!!

Aggie

What do y'all think??

It could mean that they are talking about commercial henna with PPD in it. PPD is not good for the hair or skin. Just check out www.hennaforhair.com for more info on PPD and you'll see why. Make sure the henna powder you use is natural and body art quality (BAQ) henna, okay? This henna is safe to use even on previously recently dyed hair because it's natural...it has no peroxide, no ammonia and other damaging agents and ingredients in it. You should be fine with this. Also in answer to your question, I feel that you be able to henna your hair about 1-2 weeks after a fresh relaxer. I wait 2 weeks most of the time.

Aggie

I don't oil my hair. I just wash my hair with KeraCare and then put in my henna + indigo mix and go to sleep.

I rinse in the morning with cheap conditioners.

If I am doing something wrong, someone please let me know!

I oil my hair because the instructions says to do so to avoid overdrying the hair but an added bonus is the scritching of my scalp with oil on it to stimulate my hair follicles for fast growth:yep:.

I don't use oil prior to hennaing either. I feel like it will create a barrier and keep the henna from penetrating the hair shaft. I will mix a little moisturizing conditioner with a lot of henna.

Nope, oiling the hair and scalp first does not affect how well the henna works. It still penetrates through the hair strand very well, IMO.

When yall henna do you oil your hair first?

Yes I sure do:yep:.

taz007

Ok, I just mixed up my henndigo and will be sleeping in it over night.

I will try to post some pictures tomorrow....

twnz&1mo

I oil my hair because the instructions says to do so to avoid overdrying the hair but an added bonus is the scritching of my scalp with oil on it to stimulate my hair follicles for fast growth:yep:.

Nope, oiling the hair and scalp first does not affect how well the henna works. It still penetrates through the hair strand very well, IMO.

Yes I sure do:yep:.

I believe I oiled before and the henna did penetrate, it's just been a while. Thanks lady Aggie