How was church...Come and share your sermon topic and notes

PinkPebbles

Hi Ladies :wave:

I thought it would be nice to have a thread to share our Sunday sermon topics and notes. I personally like to take notes while listening to the sermon b/c it helps me to remember the message.

I hope you ladies chime in…. How was church today? What was the message about?

For me church was great! I enjoyed the message and the fellowship afterwards with my sisters/brothers in Christ.

The sermon topic was called “Commitment to Christ” and the reading of the word was from Luke 10:25-34.

I will highlight a few things that I plan to meditate on this week.

A lawyer tried to test and discredit Jesus’ understanding of the law and salvation by asking ‘what shall I do to inherit eternal life.’

Jesus said to the lawyer, what is written in the law? What is your understanding of it?

The lawyer said, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”

Then the lawyer asked Jesus “who is my neighbor?”

Jesus answered in Luke 10:30-37

My pastor pointed out how Jesus’ knew that this lawyer judged correctly but he did not love correctly.

Following the passage in Luke, my pastor taught on the importance of committing to Christ. When we commit to Christ it sets up our commitment to everything else. We will know how to love God, ourselves, and our neighbor. We will have influence in our homes, jobs, communities, etc.

Overall, it was a good message that I will meditate on this week!

Last edited:

TraciChanel

Hi PinkPebbles! Great thread :up:

The title of the sermon at my church today was: From Failure to Empowerment

Scripture: Exodus 3:1-10; emphasis on verses 7-9:

7 Then the LORD said, "I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings,
8 and I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites.
9 And now, behold, the cry of the people of Israel has come to me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them.
10 Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt."

The reverend spoke about how we may feel at times as if God hasn't heard our prayers or heard our cries out to Him, but He does. He is not just looking upon us in our pain, He is genuinely concerned about us. And He will act. If we cry out to Him and seek Him, He will answer. We don't always know how He will answer, but trust that He will. The Reverend asked those who experienced God's divine intervention to step out in the aisle as a testimony to others. He asked for people to step out in the aisle who were on the brink of foreclosure, or couldn't pay a major bill or any other major event that God just intervened in to step out in the aisle. So many people stepped out in the aisle as a testimonial and to praise God for turning their situations around. Some people were crying. It was very touching. The reverend told everyone, "if He can do it for them, He can do it for You. If He can do it for me, He can do it for you". :amen:

It was truly a great service as always. I could type more, but I'd be typing a few pages! I love my church :yep: I always leave feeling good and inspired. I always feel God's Holy Spirit there. The choir selection was awesome as well :yep: We did communion today too. Wonderful service!

PinkPebbles

TraciChanel thank you for sharing!

I like how the Reverend asked those who experienced God's divine intervention to step out in the aisle as a testimony to others!!

Awesome sermon :)!!!

Hi @PinkPebbles! Great thread :up:

The title of the sermon at my church today was: From Failure to Empowerment

Scripture: Exodus 3:1-10; emphasis on verses 7-9:

7 Then the LORD said, "I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings,
8 and I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites.
9 And now, behold, the cry of the people of Israel has come to me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them.
10 Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt."

The reverend spoke about how we may feel at times as if God hasn't heard our prayers or heard our cries out to Him, but He does. He is not just looking upon us in our pain, He is genuinely concerned about us. And He will act. If we cry out to Him and seek Him, He will answer. We don't always know how He will answer, but trust that He will. The Reverend asked those who experienced God's divine intervention to step out in the aisle as a testimony to others. He asked for people to step out in the aisle who were on the brink of foreclosure, or couldn't pay a major bill or any other major event that God just intervened in to step out in the aisle. So many people stepped out in the aisle as a testimonial and to praise God for turning their situations around. Some people were crying. It was very touching. The reverend told everyone, "if He can do it for them, He can do it for You. If He can do it for me, He can do it for you". :amen:

It was truly a great service as always. I could type more, but I'd be typing a few pages! I love my church :yep: I always leave feeling good and inspired. I always feel God's Holy Spirit there. The choir selection was awesome as well :yep: We did communion today too. Wonderful service!

momi

I visited a church today. The sermon topic was "I am Ethiopian".

The pastor traced the history of the human race back to the Eden using geography and genealogy. He started with the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts and ended with Christ.

blazingthru

Here is a message that I hope will open the eyes of folks and let folks understand what is going on. Some of you may be offended but we cannot even when offending people stop spreading the truth, this is our message for this weekend. If your not praying continually now is the time, pray without ceasing. which is to talk with God the entire Day everyday.

Prophecy is being fulfilled in front of our very eyes.
this is most recent, http://youtu.be/7kgxEvIDoGs the pope's plea for the uniting of the churches, below is Pope Benedict's plea but with action.

Written in 2008
The Pope's Agenda
Pope Benedict’s first visit to the United States was an historic event. He received more fanfare than any visiting world power leader would normally receive. And never before had President Bush met an arriving dignitary at the airport. This underscores the profound international clout of the Catholic Church.

But the Pope’s visit was not just an historic event — it was also a very significant prophetic event. And when the two primary powers of end-time prophecy come together, Bible-believing Christians should give it very serious consideration.

Did you know that for hundreds of years, Protestants have believed that the first beast of Revelation 13 is the papacy? Additionally, many Protestants believe that the second beast, found in Revelation 13:11, represents the United States of America.

Let me pause here for a moment to make it utterly clear that this isn’t a condemnation of Catholic worshipers, millions of who are loving, sincere, and heaven-bound. However, many of them are unaware of the unbiblical teachings espoused by their church.

And Protestants would do well to remember the beliefs of the great reformers — such as Luther,
Zwingli, Tyndale, Calvin, Bunyan, Wesley, Whitfield, Edwards, Spurgeon, and a host of other scholars. They all believed the Roman Catholic Church was the antichrist of Bible prophecy.

A Mission Trip?
Before arriving in America, Pope Benedict announced that his trip to the States would be a “missionary experience.” In other words, he wants to influence Americans to embrace his beliefs — even though Catholic theology is troubling for Bible Christians.

For example, the Pope believes he is the infallible representative of God on earth, and we saw that he is virtually worshiped as such. Indeed, one reporter asked President Bush what he saw when he looked into Pope Benedict’s eyes. Extraordinarily, Bush answered — “God.”

The Catholic Church also teaches that we should pray to Mary, that priests hold the power to forgive sins, idolatry is acceptable — along with a kaleidoscope of other pagan-influenced teachings.

Moreover, in both Washington, D.C. and New York City, tens of thousands filled stadiums to watch the Pope conduct mass. The Pope believes in the doctrine of transubstantiation, which means that during the mass, he believes he has the power to convert the bread and wine into the actual body and blood of Jesus. In a sense, it means the Pope believes he can “create” God.

Uniting the Churches
The emphasis on these unbiblical beliefs is why it is so shocking that 250 Protestant, Orthodox, and Evangelical leaders, including Pat Robertson, attended an ecumenical prayer service on April 18 led by the Pope in a Catholic Church.

That same day also marked the first time a Pope entered an American synagogue, where he met with Jewish Rabbi Arthur Schneier one day before the Passover. It is astonishing that the rabbi addressed the Pope as “His Holiness” and then quoted from Psalm 133:1: “Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!”

You might be wondering why I get stirred up by an event like this. Well, the way I read my Bible, in the last days there will be a union between Catholicism and North American religions that will ultimately impose the mark of the beast.

Of course, the leader of the Catholic Church is keenly aware of the increasing tension between radical Islam and the Judeo/Christian nations. And one key purpose of this past visit was to offer himself as a spiritual leader around which these fractured churches can rally.

It is happening friends — little by little — right under our noses!

Protestant Amnesia
Frankly, I’m utterly mystified how America, a Protestant-born nation, could heap such honor upon that institution. Have we forgotten that North America was formed largely by pilgrims fleeing religious persecution in Europe? In fact, when the Washington Monument was being constructed in the 1850s, Pope Pius IX contributed a block of marble. Indignant Protestants, wanting nothing to do with the heritage of Rome, took that stone and threw it into the Potomac River!

But there is even more evidence that things are changing. At one time, every member of the Supreme Court was a Protestant. Today, only one is a Protestant — and the majority are now self-described Catholics.

And you must admit that when the General Assembly of the United Nations gathers to be addressed by the leader of the Catholic church, it represents a significant global influence of that church. After all, would these world leaders ever meet to hear any other pastor?

New Age Spiritualism
I also think the timing of the Pope’s visit is intriguing, especially following the fresh wave of New Age religion being promoted by superstar Oprah Winfrey. The highly influential billionaire claims, “One of the mistakes people make is believing there is only one way” to salvation and that Jesus “cannot be the only way.” And now she’s putting all of her media muscle behind promoting books and teachers that embrace this dangerous spiritualism. I refer you to the classic The Great Controversy: “Protestants of the United States will be foremost in stretching their hands across the gulf to grasp the hand of Spiritualism; they will reach over the abyss to clasp hands with the Roman power; and under the influence of this threefold union, this country will follow in the steps of Rome in trampling on the rights of conscience” (p. 588).

Sunday – A Priority?
And finally, as if all this wasn’t enough to think about already, another significant event transpired during the Pope’s visit that deserves our special attention.

On April 16, the Pope’s birthday, he met with American Catholic Bishops at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in the nation’s capital. There, Cardinal Francis George addressed the Pope on behalf of U.S. Catholic leaders — listing priorities for their common attention over the next several years. Among them was “handing on the faith in the context of sacramental practice and the observance of Sunday worship!”

It won’t be long before they push to have this ratified by law!

A Trumpet of Warning
With prophecy fulfilling right before our eyes, there are precious few voices that can still be heard from Protestant pulpits. Yet you can be sure that Amazing Facts is committed to lifting a trumpet of warning against the certain dangers of friendship with apostate beliefs.

A prophet once asked Jehoshaphat, who began to patronize evil king Ahab, “Should you help the wicked and love those who hate the Lord? … the wrath of the Lord is upon you” (2 Chronicles 19:2).

Likewise, I believe it is intriguing, and perhaps even providential, that during the very same time the Pope was conducting “his mission to America,” I was in the studio recording one of the most important segments of our upcoming great controversy themed DVD — the battle between Christ and Satan!

I’m sure you agree that this is the message that needs to get out now more than ever!

In this day — when political correctness often muzzles Bible truth — Amazing Facts continues to boldly address these sensitive issues. In addition to calling souls to accept the gospel of Jesus, we are also commanded to proclaim a bold message of prophetic warning against worshiping the beast and receiving his mark (Revelation 14:9-11).

So friend, if you recognize that we are living in the last days, I ask that you please stand with us so that we might bravely proclaim the unchanging truth of God’s Word. Now is the time when we need every possible resource to broadcast the good news. I believe that together, we can make a huge impact for the Lord.

We must work for Jesus now and invest in His cause for “the night is coming when no one can work” (John 9:4).

I know that God will bless you as you make a sacrificial investment of faith.

Yours for spreading the truth,

Pastor Doug Batchelor

LiftedUp

*place holder*

I wasn't able to attend church this Sunday but I got to not only attend but participate last service and the scripture I had to read was so powerful! I'll be back when I get my pieces together :)

Belle Du Jour

We had some awesome readings yesterday. Some exerpts:

Is 49:14-15
Zion said, “The LORD has forsaken me;
my LORD has forgotten me.”
Can a mother forget her infant,
be without tenderness for the child of her womb?
Even should she forget,
I will never forget you.

Psalm 62
With God is my safety and my glory,
he is the rock of my strength; my refuge is in God.
Trust in him at all times, O my people!
Pour out your hearts before him.

I Cor 4:1-5
Therefore do not make any judgment before the appointed time,
until the Lord comes,
for he will bring to light what is hidden in darkness
and will manifest the motives of our hearts,
and then everyone will receive praise from God.

Matt 6:24-34
Jesus said to his disciples:
“No one can serve two masters.
He will either hate one and love the other,
or be devoted to one and despise the other.
You cannot serve God and mammon...
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given you besides.
Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.
Sufficient for a day is its own evil.

The Archbishop celebrated the mass and the sermon was about the faithfulness of God and trusting in Him. :yep:

PinkPebbles

The pastor traced the history of the human race back to the Eden using geography and genealogy. He started with the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts and ended with Christ.

momi I have a close friend that is Ethiopian. She showed me some pictures of churches that were built and nobody knows how and when they were built. One church is built in the shape of the cross. One day I plan to go with her and visit :).

*place holder*

I wasn't able to attend church this Sunday but I got to not only attend but participate last service and the scripture I had to read was so powerful! I'll be back when I get my pieces together :)

LiftedUp I look forward to reading about it :clap:!!!

We had some awesome readings yesterday. Some exerpts:

Is 49:14-15
Zion said, “The LORD has forsaken me;
my LORD has forgotten me.”
Can a mother forget her infant,
be without tenderness for the child of her womb?
Even should she forget,
I will never forget you.

Psalm 62
With God is my safety and my glory,
he is the rock of my strength; my refuge is in God.
Trust in him at all times, O my people!
Pour out your hearts before him.

I Cor 4:1-5
Therefore do not make any judgment before the appointed time,
until the Lord comes,
for he will bring to light what is hidden in darkness
and will manifest the motives of our hearts,
and then everyone will receive praise from God.

Matt 6:24-34
Jesus said to his disciples:
“No one can serve two masters.
He will either hate one and love the other,
or be devoted to one and despise the other.
You cannot serve God and mammon...
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given you besides.
Do not worry about tomorrow; tomorrow will take care of itself.
Sufficient for a day is its own evil.

The Archbishop celebrated the mass and the sermon was about the faithfulness of God and trusting in Him. :yep:

Belle Du Jour thank you for sharing. You gave me more scriptures to meditate on for the week!!!

momi

momi I have a close friend that is Ethiopian. She showed me some pictures of churches that were built and nobody knows how and when they were built. One church is built in the shape of the cross. One day I plan to go with her and visit :).

Oh Really? Wow - well after hearing that sermon I believe I have an idea :drunk:

PinkPebbles

I’m so glad that I attended Ash Wed. service at my church.

The scripture reading was Psalm 139:23-24 (NLT)

Search me, O God and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

After the reading, my pastor said if anyone sincerely wants to change then God’s Holy Spirit can make that change within us. We are to position ourselves to allow God to make that change.

I was truly blessed this evening:)

TraciChanel

Ash Wednesday service at my church was good as well. I was really tired yesterday and considered not going but I'm glad I did. I needed to hear what was spoken last night! Specifically, the part where the minister mentioned how this Lenten season is one of self-denial. So, if we feel too tired to pray in the evenings (or to wake up early to pray) we have to remember that we need to deny self, and make a sacrifice for God. So of course, I thought about my being almost too tired to attend service last night :lol: I never thought about it being self denial to attend anyway. But yes, I thought that was a good point and I will definitely practice self denial in the days to come. I'm praying that these new habits will stay with me even after the 40 days. The minister also mentioned that this should be a private thing, just like when we fast, and not make a public statement about all the things we are giving up this season for Lent. But instead, keep that between you and God privately.

Scripture: Luke 9:23-25
Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self?

LovelyRo

Yesterday's sermon was "This Means War" you have to fight for your:

Faith - The devil is trying to throw everything at you and when under attack, many people stop going to church. The devil wants to stop you from being in God's presence. You have to plead the blood over your life for protection and provision.

2 Corinthians 10:3-6

Family - whatever God blesses, the enemy is trying to ruin. The enemy is going to attack your blessings (marriage and children). Marriage is not made up of perfect people, it's made up of preserving people.

Ephesians 6:1... This was very useful in correcting DS over the weekend. He's been challenging my authority lately.

Finances - Take care if his household first and then yours.

Hebrews 13:5

Future - Luke 22:31

This message was definitely a blessing for me especially considering the issues I've been having with DS. Last night we had bible study focusing on what the bible says about parents and children. Last week DS told me that I'm, not the boss of him God is so, I pulled out the Good Book and broke it down for him.

BTW... There's a song that goes with the title of this sermon and it is sure to be a blessing when it comes out!!!!

PinkPebbles

I'm enjoying the sermon series "Commitment to Christ."

Today's reading came from Romans 10:14-15-16

How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent?

As it is written:“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!

But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

My pastor asked the congregation some rhetorical questions:

How many people have you led to Christ lately?
How much do you care about the gospel?
Are you only concerned about getting your personal needs met?
Are you willing to allow God to use you wherever He sends you?
Does your light shine?
How do you live? Is God impressed with your lifestyle?
Are people drawn to you because of the Holy Spirit that dwells within you?
Do you only just talk the talk, but never walked it?

Overall, it was a good message that reminded the church the importance of salvation, our relationship with Jesus Christ, and why we need to spread the gospel :)

I personally realized that I can't take my faith and the gospel for granted while on earth.

gn1g

Marilyn Hickey preached on this once and said that the Ark of the covenant was with the ethiopians. I know this was an awesome sermon.

Iwanthealthyhair67

This week's message is about how to give God proper Praise and Worship

Actually this is a re-teaching for us and is mostly for new person that have joined our church, this is just a small part of what we are learning this week.

Psalms 150: 1-2

H1984 hâlal haw-lal' A primitive root; to be clear (originally of sound, but usually of color); to shine; hence to make a show; to boast; and thus to be (clamorously) foolish; to rave; causatively to celebrate; also to stultify: - (make) boast (self), celebrate, commend, (deal, make), fool (-ish, -ly), glory, give [light], be (make, feign self) mad (against), give in marriage, [sing, be worthy of] praise, rage, renowned, shine.

1. Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.
2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

What is Praise? It is a Command God Desires Continual Praise

Praise is the act of Our Will being completely absorbed in demonstration, declaration and celebration to a Mighty, Awesome, Powerful God, by Acclaiming, Commending, Honoring, Magnifying and Extolling Him.

Why:
1. For who He is

2. For what He has done

3. For what He is doing

4. For what He is about to do

Praise is also postures, so you can't praise God with your mouth closed or with your hand folded or with your hands at your sides.

mz.rae

This week at church was great! We just finished up our monthly series from March called "Music Make You Lose Control" and the subject for this week was called "Sweet Intoxication" and how music effects the mind, soul, and body. The first scripture came from Genesis 3:1-8 and some key points were:
Satan always deals and says things to us that we know we can't have
When Satan attacks his method is always the same
Music that doesn't glorify God separates us from God, it begins to pour into our spirit that we are more than we are
Music that doesn't glorify God makes you think you have more power than you really have
Communication is at the heart of music, expressing dreams to us
Music that doesn't glorify God makes you focus on 4 things
1. Impurity- Makes you do what you want to do, what makes you feel good ie:Lust
2. Lust
3. Greed- Store up for what you want
4. Sexual Immorality- Swinging, sleeping with different groups of people, homosexuality, etc.
Most music today is perverted

2. Your Soul- Satan cares about your soul, Jesus is the spirit that leads inside of us the Holy Spirit. The soul is the life of man. The only part of man that is saved is the spirit. So many of us operate out of emotions, but we have to operate based on God's principle (His Word). Everything you listen to, hear, watch you put in your spirit

Emotion- music effects the way we move, think, feel, love, and happiness. We also took a look at the scripture Mark 8:36

I can't wait for our next sermon series which is called Chosen, I'm glad I went this past Sunday I have been away for so long. I really missed my church family!

Last edited:

momi

This week at church was great! We just finished up our monthly series from March called "Music Make You Lose Control" and the subject for this week was called "Sweet Intoxication" and how music effects the mind, soul, and body. The first scripture came from Genesis 3:1-8 and some key points were: Satan always deals and says things to us that we know we can't have When Satan attacks his method is always the same Music that doesn't glorify God separates us from God, it begins to pour into our spirit that we are more than we are Music that doesn't glorify God makes you think you have more power than you really have Communication is at the heart of music, expressing dreams to us Music the doesn't glorify God makes you focus on 4 things 1. Impurity- Makes you do what you want to do, what makes you feel good ie:Lust 2. Lust 3. Greed- Store up for what you want 4. Sexual Immorality- Swinging, sleeping with different groups of people, homosexuality, etc. Most music today is perverted 2. Your Soul- Satan cares about your soul, Jesus is the spirit that leads inside of us the Holy Spirit. The soul is the life of man. The only part of man that is saved is the spirit. So many of us operate out of emotions, but we have to operate based on God's principle (His Word). Everything you listen to, hear, watch you put in your spirit Emotion- music effects the way we move, think, feel, love, and happiness. We also took a look at the scripture Mark 8:36 I can't wait for our next sermon series which is called Chosen, I'm glad I went this past Sunday I have been away for so long. I really missed my church family!

There are some really good points here. Thnx for sharing.

mz.rae

Another great Sunday at church today! We started our new monthly sermon series called Chosen! Today's subject was: The Unlikely Candidate
We looked at 1 Samuel 16:1-13

1. Just like no one saw David, there are some people who will never consider you when God begins to move in your life. God keeps you hidden because what you have no one can handle right now. God is keeping you in the closet, we all have mess in our closet and God knows it. Just because a man of God steps in your life doesn't mean judgment is coming, they could be bringing something out of you. When God speaks about the sheep He is talking about people He loves. Many times God will shelter you to start your transformation , consecration process, to make us humble so we do not think it is something we did.
Why are you still crying over people whose God's presence isn't in?
Why aint God moving?
You're either being consecrated or your heart isn't right the difference between the two:
Consecration- Doesn't feel right, but you feel conviction
Heart not being right- Doesn't feel right, but you do not care

2. When you are chosen everything around you will stand still until you arrive. There are some things that God is calling to you that people can't move until you come on the scene. Come out the field! Nothing can move unless the chosen one comes along.
Everything some gets is not a blessing! If it stresses you out or is causing you sorrow it is not a blessing!
When God chooses you, you don't have time to prepare. You are so worried about someone else that you don't have time to clean up! God is able to accept you in mess, even when everyone around you is clean.

3. The times you think God has forgotten you, is the time God is training you.
1 Sam 17:33-34
You are still going to be sent back to your old stuff after being called and chosen that is when consecration starts. You have to be strong enough to move past someone's insults. Just because someone is still there doesn't mean it is not your seat! Don't worry God is still moving. Never allow someone to tell you what you can and can't do when God has called you to something. Our times of seclusion is to train us.

4. God's intent was to keep you by yourself... We have to learn to fight: pray, praise, worship. Many of us wait to get on the job to be trained when God wants those who already know how to do the job.

LadyRaider

I have trouble making it now that it starts at 9:45. I was going today but I woke up at 8:55. I miss the little preacher! I need to try harder!

LiftedUp

The sermon was based on this scripture last Sunday:

Jesus Raises Lazarus

38 Then Jesus, deeply moved again, came to the tomb. It was a cave, and a stone lay against it. 39 Jesus said, “Take away the stone.” Martha, the sister of the dead man, said to him, “Lord, by this time there will be an odour, for he has been dead four days.” 40 Jesus said to her, “Did I not tell you that if you believed you would see the glory of God?” 41 So they took away the stone. And Jesus lifted up his eyes and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42 I knew that you always hear me, but I said this on account of the people standing around, that they may believe that you sent me.” 43 When he had said these things, he cried out with a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out.” 44 The man who had died came out, his hands and feet bound with linen strips, and his face wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, “Unbind him, and let him go.”

Specifically the bolded.

The priest used it as analogy to the things that bind us on a day to day basis, specifically, anti socialism. He says that we as a society are bound to this antisocial behaviour and it is preventing us from evangelizing, which I agree and I'm guilty of. We do not want to speak to persons that we do not know, we do not want to interact with persons who aren't like us and it is inherently preventing us from spreading the Good News of Jesus. This anti-social behaviour is also causing a breakdown of society because we are all about self. I agree, my parents and persons in their age groups interact with each other much differently from persons in my age group. I want to change this about myself.

Also, there are other things that we are bounded by but this was just a poignant thing to me that he spoke on.

PinkPebbles

This past Sunday the reading of the word came from Acts 9:32-44.

Now it came to pass, as Peter went through all parts of the country, that he also came down to the saints who dwelt in Lydda. There he found a certain man named Aeneas, who had been bedridden eight years and was paralyzed. And Peter said to him, “Aeneas, Jesus the Christ heals you. Arise and make your bed.” Then he arose immediately. So all who dwelt at Lydda and Sharon saw him and turned to the Lord.

At Joppa there was a certain disciple named Tabitha, which is translated Dorcas. This woman was full of good works and charitable deeds which she did. But it happened in those days that she became sick and died. When they had washed her, they laid her in an upper room.

And since Lydda was near Joppa, and the disciples had heard that Peter was there, they sent two men to him, imploring him not to delay in coming to them. Then Peter arose and went with them. When he had come, they brought him to the upper room. And all the widows stood by him weeping, showing the tunics and garments which Dorcas had made while she was with them.

40 But Peter put them all out, and knelt down and prayed. And turning to the body he said, “Tabitha, arise.” And she opened her eyes, and when she saw Peter she sat up. 41 Then he gave her his hand and lifted her up; and when he had called the saints and widows, he presented her alive. 42 And it became known throughout all Joppa, and many believed on the Lord.

Here are key points that stood out to me from the sermon:

Whatever you speak should come from the power of Christ. Peter was able to draw on the power of Christ which proceeded from his lips that called things to life, and change occurred.

1) Faith allows us to speak with the power of Christ.

- The only way to resurrect something is to hear from God. Get rid of the noise and the distractions around you.

2) Faith in God makes us remove the noise so we can get a response. In verse 40 Peter removed the noise and the distractions.

- What is in your life that’s hindering you from hearing or receiving from God?

- Noise and distractions will hinder you from allowing God to fulfill His plan for your life.

- You need to enter into a place where there is silence.

- Every battle can’t be fought standing up. You have to get on your knees.

- Is God please with the reverence that I’m giving Him? Is time set apart for Jesus daily?

- We draw on the power of Christ when we sincerely spend time in fellowship with Him and can clearly hear from Him.

3) Humility before God helps us address the dead areas in our lives.

- When we are in tune with God and the Holy Spirit He will let us know whether to resurrect some things in our lives or let it remain dead.

mz.rae

So the church I have been visiting just started a sermon series title "Manger Effect" and the subject was Expect the Great! Coming from Isaiah 9:6
What you expect is what you will receive
There has to be a greater expectation
Do we expect the same expectation for the arrival of Christ that we do for Christmas and gifts?
What are we expecting of God in this season?
We must prepare our hearts, God is personal to meet us in our mess. God is with us! God hasn't forsaken His promise, He will redeem and restore! Expect God to do something great in our lives. He will dismantle discouragement and make possible what seems impossible.
Whenever divinity takes on humanity and God shows up something happens!
Isaiah 6:9
1. "Wonderful Counselor" Holy Spirit, the comforter, guiding force in our lives shows how and where we should go.

2. "Mighty God" Protects, heals, and delivers

3. "Eternal Father" We can find solace and refuge in. Our identity that is God given, our purpose

4. "Prince of Peace" My peace!!!

One manger, we ought to expect the great!!
What am I expecting God to do? How am I expecting God to move as we prepare for the arrival of Christ.

mz.rae

Coming from this past Sunday, my church has been doing a sermon since the beginning of January called "Be Intentional" this past Sunday was the last part of the series. The sermon was titled "Empty Your Box" and came from Mark 14:1-9
Whatever we have or don't have has been given by God. Matt 6:21 store up treasures for ourselves in heaven. Where is my treasure?
Dedicate our lives to God, we have to be selfless.
Have I given God a real sacrifice or just what is left over?
Key Kingdom Principles
  1. Dedicate possessions at the feet of Jesus. Our greatest possession. Dedicate our relationships and finances.
  2. Discover deliverance at the feet of Jesus. Lay burdens at Jesus's feet. Lay it ALL down and leave it there!
  3. A decision to be blessed. Take whatever you have in your box and lay it at the feet of Jesus!

LadyPBC

My Pastor has been on a series for many months, its called "Disciples on the Grow". The focus lately has been on love. This past weekend:
"Love Never Fails" 1 Cor 13:8
  1. love is a greater virtue than all of the other gifts (gifts are for time and won't endure but love is for eternity)
  2. love is durable (love endures beyond what I perceive as truth / and endures no matter what is said about it / it transcends my reality to where I can go and be in God)
  3. love is the only thing worth ranking

mz.rae

We just started a new sermon series called "Conqueror" and today's sermon was titled "I'm More Than" and we looked at Romans 8:37
The notes I took were:
My condition is not my conclusion!
I am more than! Don't submit to our circumstances, they can't confine me!
Is there anything that can help me face what is down here? Paul asks 7 questions.
There is promotion after the problem!
3 Kingdom Principles for How We are More Than
1. Because of divine rebuttal, we aren't just mere victors but when God intersects a divine rebuttal occurs
"No" is authority, nothing can separate us from God.
God said "No"
2. Because of God's distinct love, it is greater than what we can conceive. It covers every fault! God's love is more significant than what we can experience in human relationships. Love lifted me!
3. God declared my victory! We overwhelmingly win. We emerge greater than before. How we win or don't win is a reflection of our God. I am not a slave to my environment! Have faith in my deliverance!

LadyPBC

Our new series is entitled "Spiritual Courage"! This past weekend the sermonic focus was "The Courage to Draw Closer" Exodus 3:1-4.
  • conquer the fear of closeness:
    • maybe God has not spoken to you concerning your situation because He wants to whisper but you are so distant that He would have to yell to you;
    • it takes courage to draw closer to God, some are afraid that if they draw closer God will deal with something in their lives that He is not pleased with
    • whatever is abnormal (like a burning bush that would not be consumed) or confusing in your life will only make sense once you draw closer to God;
  • God won't allow you to be consumed by what He uses to get your attention!!!
This was an awesome message! Blessings!