Hair Stronger when Wet or Dry?

Lorraine

<font color="green"> Is your hair stronger when it's wet or dry? I think my hair is stronger when it's wet only because it doesn't feel brittle. When it's dry my ends feel horrible and I fear shedding. However, when I wash and go I can put more moisturizer on my ends since my hair is wet anyway and also apply Surge before putting it in a bun. BUT I am nervous that I am manipulating my hair too much and it may break off.

Can someone tell me if my hair is stronger in its wet, or dry, state?</font>

Queenie

Mine is stronger dry. I can break it by stretching it too far when its wet easier then dry.

ubavka123

From what I have learned, hair is stronger dry. When wet, hair can be stretched up to 50 percent of it's natural length, which makes it more prone to breaking. Of course, this is a good sign of hair elasticity, but hair weighed down by water is already stretched to the point that it may more easily break when combed. This is why we are advised not to comb wet hair. Strangely enough, I ALWAYS comb my wet hair and NEVER comb my dry hair, for the same reasons you cited. Funny isn't it! So, in theory, wet hair is weaker, but I don't think we LHCF girls are living by that rule. Maybe airdrying messes things up. When I blowdried, which I have given up, I always combed my dry hair and not my wet hair! /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Faith

My hair is easier to comb and breaks less when wet than dry. But, they say it's stronger dry but I dunno.

sengschick

The Bun Master
Hair is weakest when wet, but I think I understand what you are getting at. It seems that my hair is stronger after air drying. If I let my wash n' go wear for a few days my hair is manipulated less so I see less shedding/breakage and it's loaded w/moisture. I even add conditioner to it to redefine the curls, so it remains very moist. I feel when my hair is rollerset and straight and I have to comb it more often and it's manipulated daily instead of just being moved into place (so to speak) when it's curly. Plus I can only add oils (which doesn't make your hair more moist) instead of real moisture to my hair. My hair is definitely happier in a moist state and therefore 'stronger' in that condition.

Lorraine

[ QUOTE ]
Hair is weakest when wet, but I think I understand what you are getting at. It seems that my hair is stronger after air drying. If I let my wash n' go wear for a few days my hair is manipulated less so I see less shedding/breakage and it's loaded w/moisture. I even add conditioner to it to redefine the curls, so it remains very moist. I feel when my hair is rollerset and straight and I have to comb it more often and it's manipulated daily instead of just being moved into place (so to speak) when it's curly. Plus I can only add oils (which doesn't make your hair more moist) instead of real moisture to my hair. My hair is definitely happier in a moist state and therefore 'stronger' in that condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/up.gif Yep, that's exactly what I meant. My hair is the same way.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I used to think my hair was stronger when it was wet but after I experimented with washing my hair more often, I noticed more breakage when i washed my hair more. So now I know that my hair is stronger when it's dry. If I comb my hair, I usually get shedding instead of breakage like I get with wet hair. /images/graemlins/weird.gif

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
My hair is strong both wet and dry, but I always brush it when wet - otherwise I'll break my hair (and my comb!).