Bishop T.D. Jakes Says He Wants To "Set The Record Straight!" (re. the Black Church)

PaperClip

From Streaming Faith.com

http://www.streamingfaith.com/community/announcements/announcement.aspx?AnnouncementId=1471

FWIW, he notes in the article that he has not endorsed a candidate.

Bishop T.D. Jakes Says He Wants To "Set The Record Straight!"

By Bishop Jakes
www.cnn.com

The blood-washed church for which Jesus died is not relegated to one group or another, nor is it held hostage by politics or ethnicity. It is a breathing, living testament to God's love and grace. It serves its community where it is located and is aware of the needs and nuances of that community. However, its relevance and vision must go beyond its community and reach the world for which Christ died.

Today as the church moves from its introspective posture to a broader role in politics, business, media and impacting societal ills, it has the dubious and daunting task of doing so without losing its core function. Like all such organizations that cease to be intrinsically focused, it runs the risk of being totally misunderstood and misaligned.

I have listened and watched the events of the last few days with great disappointment as the church and the so-called African-American church, in particular, has been painted rather negatively with a broad, wide-ranging brush. I personally wish the distinctions of the church by ethnicity would one day become an antiquated idea.

But this will require more people moving from a segregated worship experience. Until then, the church is becoming increasingly bruised by those who seek to move it from its core principles and make it an instrument of division rather than a catalyst for unity!

To say the current picture in the media of the institution that I have loved all of my life is less than flattering would be an understatement. And because I know that many Americans unfortunately do not venture outside of the comfort of their own groups for worship, the only understanding some will have of who we are is based largely on sound bites and media portrayals.

I want to set the record straight!
I am afraid that once again our churches will be victimized by stereotypical ideas and opinions that are based in whole or in part by the extreme and not the norm.

The church I have read about in the media -- a church filled with divisiveness, a lack of tolerance for other ethnic groups, a church not focused on helping the downtrodden and less fortunate, a church filled with hostility -- does not remotely resemble the churches that I grew up around and have loved for more than 50 years.

Most, if not all, predominantly African-American church doors are open to all, not just to blacks, but to anyone who is seeking a spiritual home, guidance, support, direction, faith and a feeding of the soul in the purest sense. Many of us have worked with other organizations, different cultures and denominations believing that there is more to unite us than there is to divide us.

The African-American church I know is filled with programs designed to address the many ills that inflict our society: HIV/AIDS, homelessness, reducing the rate of recidivism, assisting with employment and job training, economic development and financial management classes, home buying seminars, food banks to feed the hungry, schools to educate and an active plan to guide our youth. Those outreaches have been colorblind, passionate depictions of Christ's love for all humanity!

The predominantly African-American church may be founded by an African American, it may be led on Sunday by an African American, but as you look through the crowd of these beacons of hope and faith, you will see an increasing audience that is much more reflective of our world than many would have you to believe. White, black, Hispanic, Asian -- nationalities from all across the world come together -- some to visit our churches, to enjoy our music and ministers and still others are gradually starting to join our churches.

Gradually race fades into the fabric of faith and becomes less central to the overarching core of human needs in general. Is it a perfect union? Of course not. Is there work to do? Absolutely! But the core message is not one that enrages, but one that encourages people to change and grow, and any other depiction is distorted and inaccurate.

The Potter's House, though largely African-American, is composed of 20 different nationalities and growing in diversity. It is designed much the same way Sen. Barack Obama has built his campaign: on a strong commitment to reconciliation, the admonition for unity and strong desire for the continuation of diversity instead of exclusion.

While I have not endorsed any candidate, who can ignore the hunger of Americans for change? No matter who your political choice may be, it is hard to remain ambivalent to the tone that Obama sounded, igniting a national response from people of all walks of life, crowding into stadiums openly weeping -- like they were in church -- at the very idea of a nation that reflects the best of our ideals; not the divisive ranting and bickering that may drive up ratings but threaten the cannibalization of our dreams and the demolition of our hopes.

As a child, I grew up in a neighborhood back in West Virginia where blacks and whites helped each other in times of need and despair. Now that I am in Dallas, Texas, I have seen our city struggle to its feet in times of dire desperation. I was there when the buses came in to the Reunion Arena in Dallas loaded with mostly people of color who were hungry, weak and tired, and needing human dignity.

They were unloaded -- covered with the stench of the atrocities of the superdome in New Orleans. I saw blacks, whites and Hispanics driving up with bags of clothes and food and crying together, trying to accommodate whomever they could, wherever they could. This is the America I want my grandson to grow up in.

I am wondering who will get the message that our nation's citizens are by and large looking for a voice that will unite us, clothe our naked, feed the poor and help our diminishing middle class before we self-destruct like many great empires of the past. Who cares what color they are, what banner they fly, what gender they are, or how they pronounce their names? This is a defining moment in our history, and we are about to destroy greatness with petty self- aggrandizing egotism!

Note: This commentary has been provided by Bishop T.D. Jakes for CNN.com

Bishop T.D. Jakes is the founder and senior pastor of The Potter's House of Dallas, Texas, a multiracial, nondenominational church with more than 50 outreach ministries. A trailblazing leader and author over 30 books, Bishop Jakes' recent release, REPOSITION YOURSELF, is a New York Times best-seller, with over a half-million copies in print.

gn1g

Re: Bishop T.D. Jakes Says He Wants To "Set The Record Straight!" (re. the Black Chur

eloquently spoken, Go Jakes. Set it straight.

Aveena

Re: Bishop T.D. Jakes Says He Wants To "Set The Record Straight!" (re. the Black Chur

Isn't his church multi racial?

Bishop T.D. Jakes is the founder and senior pastor of The Potter's House of Dallas, Texas, a multiracial, nondenominational church with more than 50 outreach ministries. A trailblazing leader and author over 30 books, Bishop Jakes' recent release, REPOSITION YOURSELF, is a New York Times best-seller, with over a half-million copies in print.

Yes his church is multi-racial.

PaperClip

In the article, Jakes says his church is predominantly African American, but has 20 different nationalities....

So there must be a range in the definition of "multicultural"....

klb120475

RR, you mind summing the article up for me? I don't feel like reading.:look:

PaperClip

RR, you mind summing the article up for me? I don't feel like reading.:look:

Err...ahhh.... I don't know if I should. I wouldn't be too kind. I feel like it is a middle-of-the-road piece...you know...

He's basically talking about the perceptions about the Black Church in the context of the segregated worship service...but that in the larger picture of Christianity, worship services are supposed to be inclusive of all races, cultures, etc.

Per the controversy re. Dr. Jeremiah Wright, the Black Church label and its seemingly exclusionary connotations are neither accurate or pleasing in the sight of the Lord, and that worship services are welcome and inviting to all....

My editorial: This article is one approach to temper Wright's remarks.... Black liberation theology speaks to the ills of racism and social justice for the poor and oppressed. Jakes, in a way, wants us to see beyond race, which is ideal, but at the same time, I think there has to be an authentic dialogue about racism WITHIN Christianity...starting with a REMINDER as to how Christian worship services got segregated in the FIRST PLACE....

Minx

Err...ahhh.... I don't know if I should. I wouldn't be too kind. I feel like it is a middle-of-the-road piece...you know...

He's basically talking about the perceptions about the Black Church in the context of the segregated worship service...but that in the larger picture of Christianity, worship services are supposed to be inclusive of all races, cultures, etc.

Per the controversy re. Dr. Jeremiah Wright, the Black Church label and its seemingly exclusionary connotations are neither accurate or pleasing in the sight of the Lord, and that worship services are welcome and inviting to all....

My editorial: This article is one approach to temper Wright's remarks.... Black liberation theology speaks to the ills of racism and social justice for the poor and oppressed. Jakes, in a way, wants us to see beyond race, which is ideal, but at the same time, I think there has to be an authentic dialogue about racism WITHIN Christianity...starting with a REMINDER as to how Christian worship services got segregated in the FIRST PLACE....

Exactly.

dk

All_Me

As a member of the Potter House... I would like to say that Bishop TD Jakes is on point. In all things one must use wisdom and understanding. If Bishop were to come out and endorse a candidate and that candidate was elected but then the US found out that the candidate was a wolf. People who listened to Bishop's endorsement would turn around, point fingers and state, "but you endorsed this candidate... you are supposed to be a man of God... how could you lead the people in voting for a wolf... etc." :nono: Bishop TD Jakes has been on the forefront and his ministry impacts the nations! The Potter House is global. General comments can not be made without people putting it under a microscope. Only when I understood the difference between a storefront, middle-sized, and mega-church could I submit myself under his leadership. The level in which our church operates can not be categorized by standards that do not address the body as a whole. For we are one body. The church is the bride. We are not just black, white, hispanic, asian, we are believers of Jesus Christ.

PaperClip

As a member of the Potter House... I would like to say that Bishop TD Jakes is on point. In all things one must use wisdom and understanding. If Bishop were to come out and endorse a candidate and that candidate was elected but then the US found out that the candidate was a wolf. People who listened to Bishop's endorsement would turn around, point fingers and state, "but you endorsed this candidate... you are supposed to be a man of God... how could you lead the people in voting for a wolf... etc." :nono: Bishop TD Jakes has been on the forefront and his ministry impacts the nations! The Potter House is global. General comments can not be made without people putting it under a microscope. Only when I understood the difference between a storefront, middle-sized, and mega-church could I submit myself under his leadership. The level in which our church operates can not be categorized by standards that do not address the body as a whole. For we are one body. The church is the bride. We are not just black, white, hispanic, asian, we are believers of Jesus Christ.

Greetings.... I'm gonna say what I need to say and I pray it comes out in love and wisdom and it certainly is not meant to be confrontational....

Glad you disclosed that you are a member of The Potter's House and therefore you hear the teachings and you think favorably toward your pastor. It's all good.

I also concur with the larger point about the church being ONE BODY.... Absolutely....

And UNACKNOWLEDGED RACISM in the BODY of CHRIST is wreaking HAVOC on the body's functions.... The Bible instructs to speak the truth in love....in love, it is evident that segregated worship services are (in part) a result of the RACISM, DISCRIMINATION, and PREJUDICES that Blacks faced in earlier years of this country. I say emphatically that this point has been BARELY DISCUSSED with some authenticity. We expect Black folk to just FORGET racism in the church (although we combat the systemic expressions of racism in society). And White folk are supposed to live their WHITE PRIVILEGE unchallenged. That's a significant disservice to race relations in society AND in the Body of Christ. The Lord is a God of SOCIAL JUSTICE.

With regard to the point of endorsing a candidate: officially, a religious figure cannot ENDORSE a candidate because of the 501(c)3 status. But he/she can strategically discuss those ISSUES that said candidate agrees with. I would respect any pastor who supported a candidate under the courage of his/her convictions, regardless of if that candidate won the election or not. And I'm "living" this in a sense.

My church is in Detroit, Michigan, which is going through a salacious sex-text scandal involving the mayor, the mayoral candidate that my pastor fully supported. Am I angry with my pastor because this mayor is drunk with power? :nono:Nope. Why? Because for one, I know my pastor hears from the Lord and this mayor did have the Lord's "endorsement", if you will, on his mayoral candidacy...but the mayor messed up and the Lord don't bless mess (esp. toward the UNREPENTENT).... And my pastor has shared some remarks about the situation concerning the mayor, saying that he's disappointed in the mayor's actions and that we have to pray for our leaders and those who rule in authority.

My church is considered one of the "megachurches" in Detroit. I've been there literally half my years on this planet. It's not a little store-front... It's NEVER been that....

I also recognize that I'm looking for more social justice from the (Black) Christian Church in the 21st century.... the Gospel that Jesus not only preached, but LIVED... the Gospel preached with the power of the lion of Judah.... and that's why Jeremiah Wright does appeal to a group of folk.... and I daresay he's appealing to BLACK MEN.... On average, today's Black churches are recording up to 70 percent female.... there's something WAY off balance about that.

gn1g

I too am a member of the Potter's House. Sounds like he's endorsing Obama.

Last edited:

klb120475

That's a good point!

Thanks for summing it up for me!:yep:

klb120475

Greetings.... I'm gonna say what I need to say and I pray it comes out in love and wisdom and it certainly is not meant to be confrontational....

Glad you disclosed that you are a member of The Potter's House and therefore you hear the teachings and you think favorably toward your pastor. It's all good.

I also concur with the larger point about the church being ONE BODY.... Absolutely....

And UNACKNOWLEDGED RACISM in the BODY of CHRIST is wreaking HAVOC on the body's functions.... The Bible instructs to speak the truth in love....in love, it is evident that segregated worship services are (in part) a result of the RACISM, DISCRIMINATION, and PREJUDICES that Blacks faced in earlier years of this country. I say emphatically that this point has been BARELY DISCUSSED with some authenticity. We expect Black folk to just FORGET racism in the church (although we combat the systemic expressions of racism in society). And White folk are supposed to live their WHITE PRIVILEGE unchallenged. That's a significant disservice to race relations in society AND in the Body of Christ. The Lord is a God of SOCIAL JUSTICE.

With regard to the point of endorsing a candidate: officially, a religious figure cannot ENDORSE a candidate because of the 501(c)3 status. But he/she can strategically discuss those ISSUES that said candidate agrees with. I would respect any pastor who supported a candidate under the courage of his/her convictions, regardless of if that candidate won the election or not. And I'm "living" this in a sense.

My church is in Detroit, Michigan, which is going through a salacious sex-text scandal involving the mayor, the mayoral candidate that my pastor fully supported. Am I angry with my pastor because this mayor is drunk with power? :nono:Nope. Why? Because for one, I know my pastor hears from the Lord and this mayor did have the Lord's "endorsement", if you will, on his mayoral candidacy...but the mayor messed up and the Lord don't bless mess (esp. toward the UNREPENTENT).... And my pastor has shared some remarks about the situation concerning the mayor, saying that he's disappointed in the mayor's actions and that we have to pray for our leaders and those who rule in authority.

My church is considered one of the "megachurches" in Detroit. I've been there literally half my years on this planet. It's not a little store-front... It's NEVER been that....

I also recognize that I'm looking for more social justice from the (Black) Christian Church in the 21st century.... the Gospel that Jesus not only preached, but LIVED... the Gospel preached with the power of the lion of Judah.... and that's why Jeremiah Wright does appeal to a group of folk.... and I daresay he's appealing to BLACK MEN.... On average, today's Black churches are recording up to 70 percent female.... there's something WAY off balance about that.

Wow! This is the first time I was able to read your post without re-readin it and lookin up definitions.:look: I'm so proud!!!:grin:

GlamourGirl

Well said. I am a member there as well!

All_Me

uummm you lost me.... I dont think that racism is being covered up in the church. Still the only message that the church MUST preach is that of Jesus Christ. All others are OPTIONAL ie racism, political issues. Jesus preached love! I understand how churches originally were segregated... I also understand how the black church had division within itself...ie the rejection of Dr. King...I also understand the pain of not loving another brother/sister due to race. But God is so loving and kind! At one point I just came to the point in my life that I said, God if I really love You, then I must love my neighbor. No matter how many times I have been called n***** and monkey, yes Father I accept them because they are my sisters and brothers. Race relations do spill into the church. I just so happen to know that the calling upon the Potters House goes deeper than those who are not led by the ministry can understand. I aligned myself with the vision of the house for that is what I am called to do. I fall in order with the head.

Last edited: